PDA

View Full Version : ways to fight without seeing? [3.5]

randomhero00
2010-09-29, 08:15 PM
Are there any feats that let you? I get them mixed up. There's blindsense, or is it blindsight? That let's you reroll miss chance. I'm not talking about that one. Scent doesn't let you fight without seeing does it? What about tremorsense, is there a feat for it? This is for PC races...

AslanCross
2010-09-29, 11:58 PM
Blind-Fight is a feat that allows you to reroll your miss chance, and also prevents you from being flat-footed vs invisible creatures. It still doesn't allow you to actually spot them.

Blindsense is a racial ability that many creatures have, but in core, dragons have it. It allows you to pinpoint invisible creatures within a limited radius without having to make spot checks, but you need line of effect to the creature. It does not negate miss chance and does not prevent Dex denial. The 5th level ToB stance "Hearing the Air" provides Blindsense.

Blindsight is mostly the same as regular vision, and is usually found on creatures that are actually blind. A creature with blindsight can detect creatures as if it can see them, and needs line of effect to the target.
There are sometimes certain ways to disable blindsight, though; the Canoloth, for example, can lose its blindsight if its sense of smell is overpowered (ie, Cloudkill or Stinking Cloud) and its hearing is cancelled (Silence spell).

Tremorsense requires contact with the ground, or in the case of spiders, their web. I do vaguely remember a way to get Tremorsense, though.

Scent simply allows you to detect creatures within 30 feet even if you can't see them. The range doubles for creatures upwind, and is halved for creatures downwind. You can't pinpoint them until you're within 5 ft. of them, though, so while you can follow a creature you can smell, you can't attack until you're within 5 ft.
The first level ToB stance "Hunter's Sense" grants scent.

aquaticrna
2010-09-30, 02:53 AM
blindfold of true darkness... its a magic item that makes it so you loose all sight, but gain blindsight out 30' and are immune to gaze attacks... goes really well with an ring of deeper darkness.

Saintheart
2010-09-30, 09:59 AM
As an added point, if you're Changeling with telepathy (Mindbender dip for that) or a monster with the same, Lords of Madness has the Mindsight feat which allows you to pinpoint every creature within 100 feet that has an INT score and receive information on their INT score, type, and size. Depending on how you read the feat this may or may not negate miss chances in combat, but for even primitive scry-and-die tactics it's utterly broken, especially around the 5-8 character levels. I say that because one of my players has it in a RHOD campaign, and with some judicious use it basically turned the party into Rainbow Six at Rhest. :smallmad:

Zyme86
2010-09-30, 10:39 AM
you also have the werebat from Faerun that has echolocation

Toliudar
2010-09-30, 10:40 AM
If you really want to go with a blind character, a summoning-focused character can be great, especially in combination with telepathy (see above).

dsmiles
2010-09-30, 10:55 AM
There's a feat for gaining blindsense, but I think the range is only like 5 or 10 feet, IIRC.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-30, 11:02 AM
Telepathy+ Mindsight feat.

You can sense everything that thinks within your telepathy radius, and can tell its Int scores as well.

Tyger
2010-09-30, 12:55 PM
As an added point, if you're Changeling with telepathy (Mindbender dip for that) or a monster with the same, Lords of Madness has the Mindsight feat which allows you to pinpoint every creature within 100 feet that has an INT score and receive information on their INT score, type, and size. Depending on how you read the feat this may or may not negate miss chances in combat, but for even primitive scry-and-die tactics it's utterly broken, especially around the 5-8 character levels. I say that because one of my players has it in a RHOD campaign, and with some judicious use it basically turned the party into Rainbow Six at Rhest. :smallmad:

While I wholeheartedly endorse this method, the feat is very specific that the target still has total concealment, thus they do have a 50% miss chance. You get the square, but not the ability to see them.

And of course, you can still walk right into the lair of heavily armed flaming golems and zombies without any warning at all... which is a significant problem, or none at all, depending on whether or not you are alone, and your DM's predilection for non-intelligent creatures.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-30, 12:56 PM
There's a feat for gaining blindsense, but I think the range is only like 5 or 10 feet, IIRC.

Races of Stone offers tremorsense.
Magic of Incarnum offers blindsense.
Implanted psicrystals (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/alternate-psicrystal:implanted-psicrystal) share their telepathic vision and telepathic hearing with their master.