PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnating a Dragonwrought Kobold

PrGo
2010-09-30, 04:21 AM
I was wondering, if a Dragonwrought Kobold (dragon type) dies, and his player asks for a reincarnation, rather than a resurrection, what forms would he be able to awake in? Is there a list somewhere? Or if not, what races do you think would be acceptable?

Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

senrath
2010-09-30, 04:34 AM
Assuming you're talking about the spell Reincarnate, they'd use the same list as everyone else. The spell doesn't care about the dead creatures type in the slightest.

Coidzor
2010-09-30, 04:38 AM
Assuming you're talking about the spell Reincarnate, they'd use the same list as everyone else. The spell doesn't care about the dead creatures type in the slightest.

For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created.

That is the genesis of the thread.

I believe Dragonwrought Kobols have their type changed to dragon.

PrGo
2010-09-30, 04:40 AM
I believe Dragonwrought Kobols have their type changed to dragon.

That is correct, and hence this thread :smalltongue:

senrath
2010-09-30, 04:41 AM
Huh, I missed that line. Well, they do have their type changed to dragon, so I guess the DM should put together a list of various low-la dragon types. Lemme see if I can come up with some.

Coidzor
2010-09-30, 04:44 AM
Hmm.

My gut instinct is to include a couple of "roll on another list" categories. Like Chromatic Dragons, Metallic Dragons, Half-Dragons (so many combinations), maybe Gem Dragons.

The problem with True Dragons is that reincarnate specifies a young adult body, and neither chromatic nor metallic dragons have a listed LA for young adult dragons.... So, would probably want to tweak that to Wyrmling or sommat.

Dragonnes maybe, and Dragon Turtles are a possibility though again, no LA... maybe dragonwrought kobolds...

Hmm, I think there's a dragon subtype or a dragonblooded subtype so... maybe throw those in for good measure as potential candidates.

senrath
2010-09-30, 04:48 AM
Actually, looking at things, I'd ignore my suggestion of "low-LA dragons". Mostly because there really aren't any (there might be a few, but I don't know any).

PrGo
2010-09-30, 04:55 AM
On a side note, the spell says that the target comes back in a body of a young adult of a new race. So that would mean that if you include true dragons on the list it would mean he could become a young adult dragon. Which is nice.

JaronK
2010-09-30, 04:57 AM
Or horrific, depending on what the DM judges the LA to be (since normally there isn't one). It could REALLY hurt your character.

JaronK

VirOath
2010-09-30, 05:09 AM
Or horrific, depending on what the DM judges the LA to be (since normally there isn't one). It could REALLY hurt your character.

JaronK

In the long run, yes. But you shouldn't be losing levels so what will happen is your CL will skyrocket and hurt your EXP gains as well as changing the bracket you need to get your next level (your current exp doesn't change, but what you need to level does). Also, you'll have atleast one racial feat that no longer applies, maybe your DM will let you retrain it for a Dragon Feat or something.

You can get a nice boost to your power level by pulling a stunt like this, but the problem lies in that your power level won't increase for a very long time. And that could lead to boredom as the party eventually surpasses you and HD dependent spells start getting tossed around, at which point you pay for the penalty for having a high LA.

Morph Bark
2010-09-30, 05:14 AM
Hmm, I think there's a dragon subtype or a dragonblooded subtype so... maybe throw those in for good measure as potential candidates.

There's a dragonblood subtype, yes. I'd say that that is a good fit for this case, alongside coming back as a dragonwrought kobold again of course.

Tiki Snakes
2010-09-30, 06:06 AM
"Oh look, you just so happened to roll Kobold again, who'dathunkit?" :smallwink:

Snake-Aes
2010-09-30, 06:14 AM
Well, since you want a compatible list, going by the kobold's old type + a dragon augmentation might be the way. The actual dragon type would build fun stories but it's hard to pull off if the group is concerned about power levels.

Nerdanel
2010-09-30, 06:18 AM
The DM could rule that Reincarnation worked based on the original creature type, so that a Dragonwrought Kobold could be used to produce something like a Dragonwrought Lizardfolk.

PrGo
2010-09-30, 07:10 AM
The DM could rule that Reincarnation worked based on the original creature type, so that a Dragonwrought Kobold could be used to produce something like a Dragonwrought Lizardfolk.

That's actually pretty awesome. I've always liked lizardfolk despite their poor stats with such an ECL.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-30, 07:13 AM
They come back as a pseudodragon. :smallwink:

Tukka
2010-09-30, 07:28 AM
I suppose that at the very least, you could just have the dragonwrought kobold come back with a different dragon ancestry (so a silver dragonwrought kobold might come back as a green, or crystal dragonwrought kobold).

tenshiakodo
2010-09-30, 09:20 AM
"So...reincarnated as a pseudo-dragon, eh?" -Dark Schneider

"Aw, give me a break!" -Lars

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-09-30, 06:24 PM
Actually, looking at things, I'd ignore my suggestion of "low-LA dragons". Mostly because there really aren't any (there might be a few, but I don't know any).this is why its hard for me to read this board sometimes.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3070.0

senrath
2010-09-30, 06:34 PM
this is why its hard for me to read this board sometimes.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3070.0

None of those have RHD + LA less than 4. I don't consider that "low".

Gensh
2010-09-30, 09:25 PM
"So...reincarnated as a pseudo-dragon, eh?" -Dark Schneider

"Aw, give me a break!" -Lars

Brofist.

Yeah, I'd probably make a table of humanoids with the reptilian subtype and the draconic template or something similar.