PDA

View Full Version : Exalted... Semi-Noob ST questions... I need help!!!!!

Gomezy3k
2010-09-30, 10:15 AM
In my gaming group we take turns running games and then vote on what game. Way back when Exalted first came out I got to be the guinea pig and kind of faked my way through. It wasn't tooooo bad since none of us had a clue about the game other than the typical WW d10 system (we played Vampires, Werewolf, etc) so we were all basically starting out on the same left foot so to speak. I used the "module" that came in one of the books something about..I forget the name but it was a bunch of solars looking for some old ruined Manse that was surrounded by demons or something.

Anyway it is now my turn in the barrel again, (I usually run AD&D - 2nd Edition since no one has the later edition books they have the "why should we buy them? They are just going to be obsolete in a year anyway and I already have the first and 2nd edition books." attitude). Anyway I got stuck..er I mean the privilege of running an Exalted game. I have played Exalted as a player but am nowhere near an expert on it. I basically just use Ed's Exalted Character Creator and go with that. Unfortunately we have a player who not only seems to have read the books but I swear he has memorized the damn things. He likes characters like "My Lunar Scorpion with its 8 legs and tail attacks and if I take these charms and stack them I can have 42 attacks with each leg and tail doing a gazillion levels of damage each." (NOTE: kind of an exaggeration, but not much).

And even if I go with Dragon Bloods or one of the other types of Exalted, it is just as bad...he knows what charms do down to the nth degree and can stack them so he is a walking tower of destruction.

Anyway getting back to my question, I need some ideas on what to do with everyone? How do I throw things up against them that would make it challenging? I am used to D&D where you start out with weak 1st level characters scared of a lone Kobald, not what would be kind of like 100th level Arch Mages and Ranger Lords to start with (actually the Exalted PC's are even stronger than that... Mini-Gods and what gets me is on the Exalted site the people there are coming up with ways to make them even stronger...who the heck are Ink Monkeys anyway??).

So I need some ideas on what to do with the group as far as running a game? Any suggestions? I have access to all the books..first and second edition (the one guy has EVERYTHING or almost EVERYTHING so no problem there).

Terraoblivion
2010-09-30, 10:39 AM
He has only shown skill at making characters killing everything? Because the solution is simple, throw something at him that will utterly brainwash him if given the chance. Challenge the players in fields other than direct combat and he'll be no better off. Also i'd love to see what he does, even though you said that it was an exaggeration, nothing in the game allows a Lunar to do anything remotely like what you said. Also the whole aspect of having to be in a monstrous form to do it, somewhat limits the ability to pull such things off.

Gomezy3k
2010-09-30, 10:49 AM
He has only shown skill at making characters killing everything? Because the solution is simple, throw something at him that will utterly brainwash him if given the chance. Challenge the players in fields other than direct combat and he'll be no better off. Also i'd love to see what he does, even though you said that it was an exaggeration, nothing in the game allows a Lunar to do anything remotely like what you said. Also the whole aspect of having to be in a monstrous form to do it, somewhat limits the ability to pull such things off.

LOL Yeah it was an exaggeration... I think he only gets like 3 or 4 attacks with each arm or something like that... but that is still a buzz saw going through anything in front of him. LOL

I usually tuned him out when he started in on his awesome characters so don't remember the specifics other than kind of general stuff... Now I wish I had paid more attention LOL.

I had thought about something along the Horror line since it is October... Perhaps a city that was caught up in a Fair Folk Abyssal battle and the result was a "living city" that has elements of both...

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-30, 10:49 AM
Also, Refinement of Flowing Shadows.

Bam, his awesome thousand-attack build is defeated by a single Charm.

Crasical
2010-09-30, 11:33 AM
I can't honestly see someone shifting gears enough to go from Dnd 2e to Exalted... I haven't even suggested running an exalt game for my group, since I know one of our main players is a self-professed white-wolf-hating 2e vet that is frightened and confused by dnd 3.5. I think being exposed to Exalted would cause his head to explode, or more likely him just missing the point and me having to deal with his sarcasm about the game for the next week or so.

Not helpful, or what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

Reynard
2010-09-30, 11:41 AM
LOL Yeah it was an exaggeration... I think he only gets like 3 or 4 attacks with each arm or something like that... but that is still a buzz saw going through anything in front of him. LOL

His dice pools and DV should be shot to hell.

Death of a thousand cuts Lunars can be a bit of a bitch to deal with, but he shouldn't be hitting very often when making 8 attacks, as his dice pool would range from -8 to -16, and his DV isn't going to be in much better state.

Unless he has stupid amounts of dice for a Lunar*, I can't see how's he's acting like a buzzsaw. How much damage does he do on a hit? How much Soak do his enemies have? How many Health Levels?

If you have the Infernals book, and can work them into the story, have him fight a moderate essence Slayer with most of the Malfean soak, health level, and Penalty-Ignoring charms. They're very tough nuts to even dent.

Gomezy3k
2010-09-30, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info... I will try some of the ideas I got here..

Gomezy3k
2010-09-30, 12:35 PM
Oh hey... is there a "mass combat" type rule for Exalted? I am referring to the party being surrounded by a bunch of archers or other similar type npcs. Seems like even with the awesome charms, some arrows would get through and hit.

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-30, 12:36 PM
In Second Edition, there are mass combat rules. It theoretically allows for one-on-thousand combats. In practice, it is kind of clunky and its basic effects are slightly better than an artifact weapon and armor.

Ignition
2010-09-30, 12:39 PM
Oh hey... is there a "mass combat" type rule for Exalted? I am referring to the party being surrounded by a bunch of archers or other similar type npcs. Seems like even with the awesome charms, some arrows would get through and hit.

158 is the section on Mass Combat, and 197 has the Charms relevant to the War ability - the one for directing Mass Combat. This is all Second Edition. :smallbiggrin:

Reynard
2010-09-30, 12:40 PM
Well, there are Mass Combat rules, but that's for armies and stuff. Otherwise, look up Co-Ordinated attacks. you need some one (DB most likely) to do the commanding, but then DB war charms are awesome.

Boils down to Cha+War roll against a difficulty of (the number of people to be taking part, divided by 2). The poor dude on the receiving end will lose -1 DV for every participant that's ganging up on him.

Gomezy3k
2010-09-30, 12:50 PM
Cool... What I was thinking of was the party running into say 20 or 30 guards/brigands/whatever and being peppered with arrows... Perhaps they did something to anger the towns people or the town guard or something...

Thanks again..