PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Eberron] Cuteforged?

Crasical
2010-09-30, 11:47 AM
See avatar (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Crasical/Crasical%20Stickfigs/Skirtcomplete.png). Our GM has been planning a descent into the Worlds Largest Dungeon, and though for the largest part we've been doing independant chargen, someone jokingly suggested that everyone play a 'forged so we didn't have to worry about finding/creating food to sustain ourselves. I (very male, goatee'd) called dibs on playing the cute robot girl, everyone had a laugh.

Anyway, it led to me pondering: To my understanding, Warforged:

are Sentient golem warmachines, left over from prior war

Effectively lack a gender, though they can 'choose' to identify as one.

Are constructs, and their bodies are mod-able.

I've heard comments about Gnomes in Powersuits, andwhatnot, but joking aside, how do you usually fluff your version of Warforged? Are you 100% faithful to the eberron book, or do you allow cute robot girl versions? When/If you move them from the setting, do you attach specific rules about their creation, or are they once-in-a-lifetime creations?

What does the playground think, is what I'm saying.

dsmiles
2010-09-30, 11:48 AM
Warforged = Persocom?

Works for me. :smallwink:

boj0
2010-09-30, 11:51 AM
Personal favorite?
Everyone play druids and bards; only to be able to yell out, "Maximals! Rock out!"

Deth Muncher
2010-09-30, 11:53 AM
Uh, yeah, you've got it pretty much right. They also never sleep, FYI. But remember, repairing them sucks, because Conj: Healing spells only heal them for half of normal, so they need Repair Le/Li/Maj Damage to be cast.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-30, 11:54 AM
Eh, I fluff them as this (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/IG-100_MagnaGuard). It works.

Critical
2010-09-30, 11:54 AM
Personal favorite?
Everyone play druids and bards; only to be able to yell out, "Maximals! Rock out!"
"I! AM! IRON MAN!" :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2010-09-30, 11:56 AM
One of the items in ???'s list of things he's not allowed to do in Eberron (can't remember the name) was "I must keep those KOS-MOS upgrade plans away from the artificer when the warforged goes into lockdown"

Otherwise, there's Nyss d'Cannith (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6880.0).

Crasical
2010-09-30, 11:58 AM
Personal favorite?

"I! AM! IRON MAN!" :smallbiggrin:

Didn't I just say "Barring the silly 'Gnome in a powersuit' stuff"? :smallconfused:

Bad posters. No cookie. :smallbiggrin:

Cubey
2010-09-30, 11:59 AM
Are you a fan of Virtual ON, maybe? Your avatar made me think of that.

Also, here's my opinion on this. Spoiled for huge pic size.
http://www.dokuganryu.com/scans/megaten/p3/07.jpg

Yeah. Full support.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-30, 11:59 AM
Objecting to cute robot girls is a good sign of not having a soul, if you ask me.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-30, 12:00 PM
Well, just think about it this way...

Wizards are kinda like nerds and geeks, but with the actual ability to warp reality to suit their needs. Right?

Okay, what geek, given the ability to do so, would not make a few 'personal' servants? No, nothing like that, get your mind out of your hentai manga, it's just... what egotistical megalomaniac bent on world destruction/domination wouldn't want his own personal harem of female-modeled servants to satisfy his machismo?

So yea, I could easily see some models being crafted along more feminine lines, even programmed to flirt with their master. However, they'd also be some of the more powerful models, since they would also double, effectively, as his own personal bodyguards.

dsmiles
2010-09-30, 12:01 PM
I actually fluff them like the Maug (either FF or MMII). There's an entire plane where these things are still constructed. As the bodies break down (eventually) the consciousness can be transferred. They lose a point of CHA each transfer representing their eventual detachment from other lifeforms, since they are effectively immortal. PC Warforged can be transferred instead of resurrected or reincarnated, if they so choose.
Nobody's ever wanted to play a 'cute girl robot' Warforged, but I imagine I'd allow it, since they effectively continue to create more and more Warforged.

Prime32
2010-09-30, 12:02 PM

Wizards are kinda like nerds and geeks, but with the actual ability to warp reality to suit their needs. Right?

Okay, what geek, given the ability to do so, would not make a few 'personal' servants? No, nothing like that, get your mind out of your hentai manga, it's just... what egotistical megalomaniac bent on world destruction/domination wouldn't want his own personal harem of female-modeled servants to satisfy his machismo?

So yea, I could easily see some models being crafted along more feminine lines, even programmed to flirt with their master. However, they'd also be some of the more powerful models, since they would also double, effectively, as his own personal bodyguards.Naturally, they dress in maid outfits at all times. *insert Chachamaru pic here*

FoE
2010-09-30, 12:04 PM
Warforged do tend to identify with a gender — you refer to a warforged as "he" or "she," not as "it".

Critical
2010-09-30, 12:05 PM

So yea, I could easily see some models being crafted along more feminine lines, even programmed to flirt with their master. However, they'd also be some of the more powerful models, since they would also double, effectively, as his own personal bodyguards.
A nice idea for a BBEG, actually.

Crasical
2010-09-30, 12:05 PM
Objecting to cute robot girls is a good sign of not having a soul, if you ask me.

And yet I seem to be the only one who's brought the idea up, if a quick google and the lack of intersection between 'Cute' and 'Warforged' seems to be any indication...

EDIT: Wow that sounded incredibly egoistic of me. Uh. Whoops. :smallredface:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-30, 12:11 PM
Naturally, they dress in maid outfits at all times. *insert Chachamaru pic here*

Not necessarily. In Erfworld, see also: Dolls and Skanks (knight-class dolls which normally resided up amongst the artwork of the Titans in skimpy outfits, ready to drop down on attackers). The Transylvito side used them quite effectively.

Crasical
2010-09-30, 12:15 PM
Not necessarily. In Erfworld, see also: Dolls and Skanks (knight-class dolls which normally resided up amongst the artwork of the Titans in skimpy outfits, ready to drop down on attackers). The Transylvito side used them quite effectively.

I totally have not been following Erfworld since they moved to their own site. :smallmad: It was one of those lazy moments where I was fully aware of the new site and just never got around to adding it to the webcomic bookmark-list.

tonberrian
2010-09-30, 12:20 PM
I'm thinking Valsione.

Edit: Or Angelg. Or Fairlion.

boj0
2010-09-30, 12:20 PM
Didn't I just say "Barring the silly 'Gnome in a powersuit' stuff"? :smallconfused:

Bad posters. No cookie. :smallbiggrin:

To be fair...you only said you'd heard about it (Gnomes in suits) before, never banned it. :smallamused:
Also, how are transformers silly when cute robot girls aren't?
MY SIMPLE ORGANIC BRAIN CANNOT COMPREHEND ROBOTS!
/crazy

Serious post:
I usually fluff my warforged to be simply that, forged for war; "MU-R2 was never asked what he wanted in life, he just went about fighting until they told him to stop. When his command squad left him, he just started wandering into the mountains. After a chance encounter with a dwarf warblade, Murz (as he's now called) began walking the Sublime Path in order to protect the mountains from the evil that dared to try."
Most of my inorganic characters are like that, created for combat, but seeking something else in life.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-30, 12:22 PM
And yet I seem to be the only one who's brought the idea up, if a quick google and the lack of intersection between 'Cute' and 'Warforged' seems to be any indication...

I don't play 3.5 and my 4e games are in homebrew settings, so... *shrug*

Postmodernist
2010-09-30, 12:23 PM

Not necessarily. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley)

Dracons
2010-09-30, 12:23 PM
I played a child warforged once, though mine wasn't female. We simply used the scout version, so that I'd have the smaller size frame. I was hyperactive rogue, always screaming "MINE!! MINE! I had it first!" Whenever I stole and got caught.

Then I'd beg for piggyback rides on the barbarian. He didnt like that.

Cubey
2010-09-30, 12:27 PM

See, robots are non-human enough that they generally avoid the uncanny valley. Even if they have mostly human appearance like in most anime and anime-inspired media, that "mostly" makes a difference. There are elements that clearly mark them as robots (antennae, obviously mechanical limbs, etc), and the uncanny valley is averted.

Also, Warforged who are no longer needed for war can do whatever they want. That includes identifying with the female sex obviously, and - why not, deciding that they need to look like one as well. You can modify existing Warforged bodies, can't you?

Tengu_temp
2010-09-30, 12:29 PM

I said cute, which uncanny valley isn't.

Doug Lampert
2010-09-30, 12:44 PM

EDIT: Wow that sounded incredibly egoistic of me. Uh. Whoops. :smallredface:

Try Sexy rather than Cute. It gets hits.

Crasical
2010-09-30, 12:44 PM
[Belated]

Are you a fan of Virtual ON, maybe? Your avatar made me think of that.

Sadly, no, I don't know anything about it.

Also, here's my opinion on this. Spoiled for huge pic size.
[Snipped]

Yeah. Full support.

I did play (And beat, and fully enjoy) P3 though. Yay Aegis.

You can modify existing Warforged bodies, can't you?

That seems to be one of the two obvious cuteforged backstory paths.

Path 1: Master wizard X created me. He was a pervert. :x

Path 2: [Rich merchant family!] -> [Hired Warforged bodyguard!] -> [Little Girl to be protected!] -> [ Eeek! The warforged is scary!] -> [Girl runs from warforged] -> [Massive warforged retrofit!] -> [This warforged is your big sister. listen to her.] -> [Big sis girlyforged!] -> [Something bad happens!] -> [Girlyforged no longer employed as bodyguard]

Cubey
2010-09-30, 12:54 PM
Sadly, no, I don't know anything about it.

Here's the relevant picture.
http://tomopop.com/ul/7265-550x-ban.jpg

erikun
2010-09-30, 12:59 PM
Crasical reminds me more of Phantasy Star Online than Virtual-ON.

I haven't seen much in the vein of cute warforged, primarily because most warforged look basically the same. There are quite a number of cute constructs, though, mostly in the form of small animated dolls. Most people I've seen who want that kind of character concept go for the person-with-soul-linked-doll. (I think there is a Persona character like this, as well.)

There's nothing wrong with a cute warforged, especially considering that they technically don't have a set appearance. If you're not on Eberron, then it is even easier to explain an animated intelligent construct with any appearance.

hiryuu
2010-09-30, 01:10 PM
There's always this thing:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/019/7/d/Female_Warforged_by_mr_author.jpg

Tetrasodium
2010-09-30, 01:14 PM
See avatar (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Crasical/Crasical%20Stickfigs/Skirtcomplete.png). Our GM has been planning a descent into the Worlds Largest Dungeon, and though for the largest part we've been doing independant chargen, someone jokingly suggested that everyone play a 'forged so we didn't have to worry about finding/creating food to sustain ourselves. I (very male, goatee'd) called dibs on playing the cute robot girl, everyone had a laugh.

Anyway, it led to me pondering: To my understanding, Warforged:

are Sentient golem warmachines, left over from prior war

Effectively lack a gender, though they can 'choose' to identify as one.

Are constructs, and their bodies are mod-able.

I've heard comments about Gnomes in Powersuits, andwhatnot, but joking aside, how do you usually fluff your version of Warforged? Are you 100% faithful to the eberron book, or do you allow cute robot girl versions? When/If you move them from the setting, do you attach specific rules about their creation, or are they once-in-a-lifetime creations?

What does the playground think, is what I'm saying.

Golems are a bit different than constructs since they are typically mindless and often made of an element or single substance. Warforged are made of stone, rock, and metal and are a construct (like a Marut), but more specifically a unique sort of construct called a living construct. Essentially the living construct label means they get some of the construct benefits & drawbacks with some of the living creature benefits & drawbacks.

Physically they lack a gender, mentally they identify as either male or female. Think of it like dragons, a male and a female red dragon both tend to look the same.

They can add components to their body to modify them similar to wearing equipment. You could paint/etch/etc things on a warforged just like you could scar or tattoo a fleshy type.

They come in lots of different shapes & even more if you include warforged charger/scout.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/139/e/9/Warforged_Juggernaut_by_BenWootten.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82102.jpg
http://eberroncamp.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/warforged6.jpg
^ (that's a spell, not a magic item!)
http://www.keyourcars.com/wp-content/uploads/warforged_sorcerer_by_d_mac.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb20061113_warforged.jpg

Snake-Aes
2010-09-30, 01:19 PM
Warforged = Persocom?

Works for me. :smallwink:

Persocoms are not sentient. That's a big plot point.

Dracons
2010-09-30, 01:48 PM
People seem to forget Lei. She was so lifelike she fooled everyone for a warforged. So switch it to being a smaller model of her.

Prime32
2010-09-30, 01:50 PM
People seem to forget Lei. She was so lifelike she fooled everyone for a warforged. So switch it to being a smaller model of her.Who? :smallconfused:

Crasical
2010-09-30, 01:50 PM
Think of it like dragons, a male and a female red dragon both tend to look the same.

[....]

They come in lots of different shapes & even more if you include warforged charger/scout.

These two points are sort of the thing that I was talking about. Warforged come in many different shapes, part of their status as constructs is that they can alter their bodies with tools and equipment. A warforged can have his armor plating upgraded or removed if he likes. He could add an armbow, or choose from a selection of other warforged components.

So why do no warforged 'want to be the little girl' to use a phrase from elsewhere on the internet? It seems like a very short leap from 'I identify as female' to 'I wish to be percieved by others as female'. Warforged aren't like dragons, there's no 'natural' sexual identity for them to have, so in part they're defined by how others percieve them. The blocky bodies in the images you showed are going to be percieved as male, so why wouldn't a 'female' warforge alter herself to be 'feminine' by the appearance standards of a human, an elf, or a dwarf or a gnome?

Dracons
2010-09-30, 02:00 PM
Who? :smallconfused:

Lei d'cannith. From Keith Baker's first novel trilogy was reviled to be a warforged, and not a human like they thought. Abiet a incredibly advanced warforged that had skin, drip blood and all that good jazz. (Like a terminator but with feelings)

Prime32
2010-09-30, 02:04 PM
Dammit, Keith Baker stole my idea! :smallfurious:

These two points are sort of the thing that I was talking about. Warforged come in many different shapes, part of their status as constructs is that they can alter their bodies with tools and equipment. A warforged can have his armor plating upgraded or removed if he likes. He could add an armbow, or choose from a selection of other warforged components.

So why do no warforged 'want to be the little girl' to use a phrase from elsewhere on the internet? It seems like a very short leap from 'I identify as female' to 'I wish to be percieved by others as female'. Warforged aren't like dragons, there's no 'natural' sexual identity for them to have, so in part they're defined by how others percieve them. The blocky bodies in the images you showed are going to be percieved as male, so why wouldn't a 'female' warforge alter herself to be 'feminine' by the appearance standards of a human, an elf, or a dwarf or a gnome?I can't remember whether warforged can use magic jar. If they can, I could see one stealing someone's body (or transferring themselves into a custom golem). Maybe something like this (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Skindancer_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29).

Then there's the irony of the half-flesh-golem warforged who becomes more like a Construct as he tries to add human parts.

Less creepily, a warforged could use a hat of disguise.

Drascin
2010-09-30, 02:09 PM
Lei d'cannith. From Keith Baker's first novel trilogy was reviled to be a warforged, and not a human like they thought. Abiet a incredibly advanced warforged that had skin, drip blood and all that good jazz. (Like a terminator but with feelings)

...aaaaand I just got spoiled to hell and back. Have to say, though: now that I didn't see coming, neither in the first nor the second books.

kamikasei
2010-09-30, 02:32 PM
Warforged = Persocom?
Well, I know I'd run Eberron on the assumption that at least some artificers had homunculi modeled after Plum (http://www.absoluteanime.com/chobits/sumomo.htm) and Kotoko (http://www.absoluteanime.com/chobits/kotoko.htm).

Overall, I'm all for it. I wouldn't expect any warforged from the actual Last War to be "cute", and I'd be leery of allowing too much modification to body size/shape, but if well presented or with a different, non-Eberronian origin, sure.

grarrrg
2010-09-30, 03:25 PM
I see nothing wrong with a Cuteforged, so long as you max CHA.

See also: Guri (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Guri)

People seem to forget Lei.

Who? :smallconfused:

(explaination)

Prime32 = Win
Dracons = Fail.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-30, 03:50 PM

So why do no warforged 'want to be the little girl' to use a phrase from elsewhere on the internet? It seems like a very short leap from 'I identify as female' to 'I wish to be percieved by others as female'. Warforged aren't like dragons, there's no 'natural' sexual identity for them to have, so in part they're defined by how others percieve them. The blocky bodies in the images you showed are going to be percieved as male, so why wouldn't a 'female' warforge alter herself to be 'feminine' by the appearance standards of a human, an elf, or a dwarf or a gnome?

It depends on what you consider upgrading to be. Sure they can add armor enhancements to their armor plating, but changing between mithril or adamantine plating (or removing it) is the result of a feat that has a must be taken at level 1 thing. It's one of the benefits and drawbacks of warforged, even if it was torn away (it would start to degrade) it will regrow as it was when they are repaired. You can't have your armor taken away and suffer very few penalties for it (i.e. swim checks don't double the check penalty with it like armor) but can't simply switch it.

Components are another thing that are special. Any magical item can be made into a component instead of normal for free when you craft it, but basically only warforged can use it. They still take up a slot normally, so a ring of evasion made into a component would take a ring slot still even if it connects physically to your shoulder or whatever for the same reason you can't normally wear more than two rings or one belt. Components gain the benefit of being impossible to remove from a conscious unwilling warforged and being able to activate them mentally though.

Adding extra arms or something isn't a simple process though, there is actually a warforged component for that I believe. You should probably treat modifications just like if a fleshy type wanted to modify themselves in a similar way unless you want to make warforged into an uber race where they freely make themselves whatever size they want with as many limbs and such they want.

I'm not sure that warforged mentally grasp or latch onto the concept of shaping themselves to be "cute" though. Races of Eberron (or ECS maybe) has a great page or two day in the life of a warforged thing that talks about how they view the world and such. I think it's probably more likely that a warforged would smooth out it's body to avoid catching branches and such while trudging through a forest than because they think it was cute.

Da Beast
2010-09-30, 04:06 PM
People seem to forget Lei. She was so lifelike she fooled everyone for a warforged. So switch it to being a smaller model of her.

To be fair, unless Kieth has written something about her since Gates of Night we don't know what exactly Lei is. She was created artificially and is linked to a group of warforged, but she's clearly not this

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82093.jpg

Bugbeartrap
2010-09-30, 05:20 PM
...aaaaand I just got spoiled to hell and back. Have to say, though: now that I didn't see coming, neither in the first nor the second books.

Seconded. Howinthewhat? Now I want to reread the first and second before I get around to the third.

NineThePuma
2010-09-30, 05:20 PM
http://www.bossythecow.com/femaleforged.jpg

Someone else posted the rough version of this. Hear tell, this is what a "female" warforged model would look like, if a default one existed.

Not cute, but it's less masculine than the default.

dgnslyr
2010-09-30, 06:29 PM
Uh, yeah, you've got it pretty much right. They also never sleep, FYI. But remember, repairing them sucks, because Conj: Healing spells only heal them for half of normal, so they need Repair Le/Li/Maj Damage to be cast.

Well,the Repair spells are sorc/wiz spells of the same level as a clerics Cure spells, so with an all-warforged party, it shouldn't be too hard to manage.

AslanCross
2010-09-30, 06:33 PM
I'm open to having warforged with feminine body types, but more of "this type was built for agility."

There are general-purpose warforged, but the reason why there are PC warforged with varying ability scores means not all of them were made and trained for frontline fighting.

As for cuteness, well---maybe some modifications were made while the warforged was still "property"?

It would be really creepy to have a male personality warforged scout modded to look like a humanoid little girl, though. What kind of artificer would do such a thing? :smalleek:

Anyway, I can totally imagine a warforged working for a religious organization looking like this, (http://gearsonline.net/fss/mh/bangdoll/bangdoll.jpg) though such specimens would be rare. (Please ignore the unfortunate implications of its name; it's supposed to mean something else entirely.)

Kind of like how the Lord of Blades has that whole blade wings thing going.

Coidzor
2010-09-30, 07:05 PM
I'd just like to thank you all for not delving into whether they're fully functional and anatomically correct.

dgnslyr
2010-09-30, 07:09 PM
I'd just like to thank you all for not delving into whether they're fully functional and anatomically correct.

I wouldn't have even thought about it if you didn't bring it up. :smalleek:

jiriku
2010-09-30, 07:21 PM
Perhaps a cuteforged would look something like this (http://edymnion.deviantart.com/art/Female-Warforged-12780713)?

Dubious Pie
2010-09-30, 07:33 PM
In one of my Eberron games, there were 2 types of warforged: the standard blocky-blocky model, and more feminine ones made for... pleasure as well. Now my avatar's smile seems very creepy.

Coidzor
2010-09-30, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't have even thought about it if you didn't bring it up. :smalleek:

Well, thanks to this comic (http://keychain.patternspider.net/index.html), whenever I think of femme-forged I think of Alchemical Exalted.

Dark_Nohn
2010-09-30, 07:44 PM
I am in full support of the cuteforged idea. However, I'd like to say that if you're going for realism, you might want to have a lower strength score as you wouldn't have as much force behind the lighter "cute" frame. For this, I'd recommend that you go with a rogue-like or ranger-like class, or the Archivist from Heroes of Horror (as warforged get a neg to wis and cha, and have spell failure chances for most arcane classes, it's the only class that is int based and not affected by spell failure that I can find.)

As for the material you're made out of, it would initially seem like mithril would be the best choice... but there's also "Aurorum" from BoED, if your DM would allow that, the price of it is actually cheaper than Adamantine, so it wouldn't be an unreasonable request, and would be anywhere between cosmetic to gamebreaking, depending on how you play it, but if I were DMing, I'd rule that it would give the character the natural healing that other living beings get, as well as the ability to make resurrection easier somehow (as the body is able to repair itself, but bringing back the spirit is another thing.)

... anyways, the reason for suggesting this material is that it's described as "luminous steel gleems with varying hues of pink and indigo," very cutesy indeed...

Prime32
2010-09-30, 07:53 PM
I am in full support of the cuteforged idea. However, I'd like to say that if you're going for realism, you might want to have a lower strength score as you wouldn't have as much force behind the lighter "cute" frame.Of course this is realistic. But invariably the slender fembot can knock out the guy who looks like his sleeves are stuffed with hams. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MusclesAreMeaningless)

Marnath
2010-09-30, 07:57 PM
I like the other path: warforged who identify as female are, and other warforged can tell the difference the way you or I would with members of our own species. One time, I had some warforged attend an academy for humans(some political correctness thing, I forget) and they all looked the same, but 3 of them were females. The male warforged thought they sounded clearly feminine and were confused when the other students tried to explain they all spoke with nearly identical voices. They also had issues with the principle not understanding why the 3 of them should be assigned to the female dorms. :smalltongue:
Even though they're physically genderless, it's unthinkable to put "boys" in the girl dorm. :smalltongue:
Man, that was a fun campaign, lots of in-jokes at the expense of humans.

dsmiles
2010-09-30, 08:07 PM
Persocoms are not sentient. That's a big plot point.

The Chobits are (were?).

Cerlis
2010-09-30, 08:31 PM
if your going for that model in your avatar, you all should be Ex-sailors, whom your captian named after astral bodies (The moon for example). You could have a magical Boomerang you'd wear on your head.

------------

anyways. I like the idea but i'd think you'd want to be realistic. If a wizard wanted to create pleasure bots it seems a golem, shadow illusion or homonculus would make more sense. But i guess...whatever

I think the idea of making a warforged as a bodyguard for an appropriate situation (protecting a princess).

I think I would take it farther. and There be a new line of warforged who are more advanced, In that they have all the same technology and are more compact. They are designed to be smaller of frame and less scary. They'd be genderless, but since they are slight of frame, they could easily look like a slim/normal bodied male, or female based on their dress. So if one viewed themselves with a gender they would emulate it.

As for having the cute one, i think its more in the attitude. perhaps she came right off the line as a payed servant for some rich person. As she interacted with their child who was the only one who payed attention to her, she began to see the little girl as the best person to emulate. So like with real children her socilization is based almost completely off the little girl. Perhaps the parents kicked her out when they started to see that their servent was acting inappropriate for a Servant (acting like a kid)

Marnath
2010-09-30, 08:38 PM
They'd be genderless, but since they are slight of frame, they could easily look like a slim/normal bodied male, or female based on their dress. So if one viewed themselves with a gender they would emulate it.

They actually already do that sometimes, bodybuilder physique and all. :smallwink:

According to races of Eberron, some warforged go so far as to wear culturally appropriate clothing for their gender, take up occupations that are stereotypically their gender(yes that means homemaker a lot of times for females, eat your heart out:smalltongue:) and lie still at night to pretend they're sleeping, even though they have only a vague understanding of what that entails beyond being still and quiet.

Dark_Nohn
2010-09-30, 08:42 PM
I think I would take it farther. and There be a new line of warforged who are more advanced, In that they have all the same technology and are more compact. They are designed to be smaller of frame and less scary. They'd be genderless, but since they are slight of frame, they could easily look like a slim/normal bodied male, or female based on their dress. So if one viewed themselves with a gender they would emulate it.

"More advanced"eding anything comes at the risk of breaking fantasy setting, which is always a risk when someone's gnoming it up with all sorts of inventions, but anything more than that is another topic for another time. But it will come.

Coidzor
2010-09-30, 10:07 PM
They actually already do that sometimes, bodybuilder physique and all. :smallwink:

According to races of Eberron, some warforged go so far as to wear culturally appropriate clothing for their gender, take up occupations that are stereotypically their gender(yes that means homemaker a lot of times for females, eat your heart out:smalltongue:) and lie still at night to pretend they're sleeping, even though they have only a vague understanding of what that entails beyond being still and quiet.

...1950s Housewife Forged?

...So who would be the guy? A creepy gnome?

Another fully functional male-forged that works down at the plant?

...Leave it to Beaver, Eberron style.

Dear lord. My head asplode.

sciencepanda
2010-09-30, 10:11 PM
I did once DM a campaign where one of the players wanted to play a female warforged which had human features carved out of porcelain. I was fine with it, and it turned into a decent character in her own right.

That said, when I am playing warforged, I tend to have them look somewhat like this: http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/dajjal.html

The Tygre
2010-09-30, 10:34 PM

For some reason, I want to ask her what she would do if she found a tortoise on its back in the desert.

Randel
2010-09-30, 10:57 PM
There were a few sailor moon monsters that looked like femal magical constructs. Here's a video that shows a few (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVG7yR_PCE), the one about 29 seconds in is my favorite.

Actually, there is a feat in one of the Eberron books that lets a warforged start out without its normal armor, leaving it lightweight so it can wear normal clothes or armor over its frame. Also, there is the spell Disguise Self and the Hat of Disguise which lets the user disguise their appearance. A person could build a warforged that is small enough to wear normal clothing and have an attached component that acts like a Hat of Disguise, effectively having a loyal living construct who can act like a human and disguise itself to act as a body double or infiltrator for various purposes.

Or a warforged built to act as a spellcaster might be made without the armor so it doesn't have the armor check penalty (not sure if warforged are affected by it normally, its been a while since I read their rules). At least it could be made so it can wear cloaks and the like.

I had considered applying for a play by post game where I would play as a female warforged (basically modeled after the sailor moon villain I mentioned above). The idea was that she was designed to be around royalty and was made to look like a wooden doll or a princess and be built as a spellcaster. She'd look decorative and be in the background until needed at which point she starts blasting with spells. Perhaps giving her a sort of hand-cannon based off of the autons from Doctor Who (plastic mannequins who can come to life, flip open their hands to reveal a built-in laser gun, and start shooting people) like a wand built into her hand as a component.

Anyway, I personally like the warforged because you can reflavor them to be like any number of constructs of various scifi or fantasy flavors. The cybermen or autons from Doctor Who (note: my avatar is based off of a clockwork cyberman I'm playing as in game I'm currently in... well okay he's warforged but he looks like a cyberman), the wooden soldiers from the Fables comics, or any number of golemsor the like.

TheThan
2010-09-30, 11:03 PM
really guys, its taken someone three pages to mention the female (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromia_%28Transformers%29) transformers.

seriously just google "Arcee pics" and you'll find hundreds of pics of just her.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-30, 11:37 PM
Perhaps giving her a sort of hand-cannon based off of the autons from Doctor Who (plastic mannequins who can come to life, flip open their hands to reveal a built-in laser gun, and start shooting people) like a wand built into her hand as a component.

There is a armbow component that generates 20 bolts/day and additional ones for 1hp each. Also a bracer component that holds a wand and lets you use it with your hand still free.

HunterOfJello
2010-09-30, 11:50 PM
Keith Baker invented and created Eberron. He also wrote The Dreaming Dark novels which are set in Eberron and include a female-type Warforged.

You could set her up as slightly different than most warforged and change her abilities around a little bit. The one in the novels was an assassin type character who was very lithe and fast. She/It had a more female voice and a female body type.

kamikasei
2010-10-01, 04:00 AM
I'm open to having warforged with feminine body types, but more of "this type was built for agility."

There are general-purpose warforged, but the reason why there are PC warforged with varying ability scores means not all of them were made and trained for frontline fighting.
This is true. My hesitation on allowing too much modification in that direction is because we already have the Warforged Scout, but they're Small-sized and halfling-like, not simply light and slim. Assuming your stats reflect it, though, it's a reasonable way to handle the backstory.

It would be really creepy to have a male personality warforged scout modded to look like a humanoid little girl, though. What kind of artificer would do such a thing? :smalleek:
The trollish sort? Of course, if the warforged is made that way to start with, there's the interesting question of whether/why it'd acquire a male personality.

...1950s Housewife Forged?
The Sharnford Wives.

In appearance, I'd probably copy the droid character I made for a Maids of the Old Republic game a while ago and have her look obviously artificial in the same vein as most warforged, but with "plating" that looks like you skinned a mannequin and turned it in to armor, including a reasonably realistic but mask-like face.

FelixG
2010-10-01, 04:59 AM
One of the easiest solutions would be reforging.

The character started out as a generic "'forged of the line model" then after the war studied what it was to be a person, came to the decision that it (now she) identifies more with the female gender than male.

The warforged has to do SOMETHING when everyone else is asleep, thats easily eight hours of work a day unavalable to everyone else, she spends that time whittling the wood and bending her plates to give herself a more streamlined figure untill she is pleased with the results!

Snake-Aes
2010-10-01, 05:44 AM
The Chobits are (were?).

No. That was like half the plot by the end of the series.

Esser-Z
2010-10-01, 07:17 AM
really guys, its taken someone three pages to mention the female (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromia_%28Transformers%29) transformers.

seriously just google "Arcee pics" and you'll find hundreds of pics of just her.

Have a much, much better link. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Female_Transformer)

The_Admiral
2010-10-01, 07:42 AM
I always wanted to play a Warforged like this
http://furuanimepanikku.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/metabee.jpg

Esser-Z
2010-10-01, 09:05 AM
This thread: More proof that Eberron is the BEST campaign setting.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-01, 09:10 AM
I played a child warforged once, though mine wasn't female. We simply used the scout version, so that I'd have the smaller size frame. I was hyperactive rogue, always screaming "MINE!! MINE! I had it first!" Whenever I stole and got caught.

Then I'd beg for piggyback rides on the barbarian. He didnt like that.

That. Is. Hilarious.

dsmiles
2010-10-01, 11:07 AM

Really, I've always wanted mine to look more like this.
http://www.blackmoor.ca/blackmoorimages/ppkhjugger1.jpg

Makiru
2010-10-01, 11:49 AM
The way I've always perceived warforged is that they haven't had much time to "mature" since they were decommissioned, making them essentially battle-hardened soldiers with the mentality of a 3-year-old simply let loose in society. This would make them highly impressionable and do things that regular humanoids would think insane.

As an example, I made a Warforged Brawler Fighter for 4e that is a worshiper of Torog, god of jailers and torturers and such. After letting somebody get away and murder his charge, he came to the cult only seeing the aspects that he wanted to, specifically to be a better guard and catcher of baddies. The fact that they make him dump a prisoner down a hole to the Underdark every few days doesn't really click with him as odd: he just thinks that they're being taken to a better holding facility....which they technically are.

The point I'm trying to get across is that warforged, at least in my mind, are very accepting of what others tell them because they have no basis on which to disagree due to their very limited upbringing. So, if someone came up to a female 'forged and told her that the little loli girl was the epitome of female perfection that she should strive for and become, that would be exactly what that warforged would do to fit in with the sociological ideals she has been led to believe.

tl;dr: warforged will believe just about anything you tell them and follow up on it.

The Tygre
2010-10-01, 12:33 PM
Me? I still just want to play a warforged like this;

http://io9.com/assets/resources/2007/11/TearsInTheRain.jpg

DeltaEmil
2010-10-01, 12:43 PM
warforged will believe just about anything you tell them and follow up on it. Only if they have low intelligence, wisdom and charisma below average. Which they normally don't, else, they wouldn't have been created in the first place, right?

Tetrasodium
2010-10-01, 01:07 PM
Only if they have low intelligence, wisdom and charisma below average. Which they normally don't, else, they wouldn't have been created in the first place, right?

While certainly true, they somewhat lack a cultural grounding to help guide those beliefs making some of their beliefs a bit odd. Warforged worshiping evil gods because it seemed like a good idea or not stopping to think that they are essentially being used as slave labor and consider doing something about it for example.

Another example might be the works of "art" that are mentioned in RoE (I think?) by warforged; some people are avid collectors of it, but the warforged often don't even consider it to be more than the byproduct of twiddling their thumbs and just stick it somewhere. You wouldn't try to capture the breeze from twiddling your thumbs even if you are quite good at it, why would a warforge with a bunch of ranks in sculpting worry about what happens to the animals it absently carved while on night watch duty? Taken a step further, if a bunch of kids takes them and play children's games... does the warforge really even understand considering emotions are difficult to understand and the warforged's own complete lack of childhood? Having such inefficient children popping out completely helpless, incapable of learning to fill a role in society or even sustain itself for years, could almost be viewed as a flaw when you consider the warforged probably spent most of it's life mired in war and started said life as an adult (with no real knowledge).

Prime32
2010-10-01, 01:14 PM
Warforged apparently do have a brief childhood of sorts, where they learn at a massively accelerated pace. Knowledge can't be programmed into them, it's trained.

Tetrasodium
2010-10-01, 01:16 PM
Warforged apparently do have a brief childhood of sorts, where they learn at a massively accelerated pace.

Yea but they are spending that childhood in boot camp or magical training courses before getting sold to someone and sent to war :P. That sort of thing isn't likely to make a personality well integrated with society in general :P

Prime32
2010-10-01, 01:18 PM
Yea but they are spending that childhood in boot camp or magical training courses before getting sold to someone and sent to war :P. That sort of thing isn't likely to make a personality well integrated with society in general :PHowever, what if an illegally-constructed warforged spent that time being trained in social skills and etiquette instead?

Maybe a scout model built to replace the child of a rich family...

Starfols
2010-10-01, 01:51 PM
I once tried to play a certain (http://soandthus.blogs.com/so_and_thus/images/2008/02/04/walle.jpg) warforged scout with treads and an internal compartment. My dm wouldn't allow it, saying I would be invincible; she didn't have the heart to kill me. :smallsmile:

kpenguin
2010-10-01, 02:06 PM
Only if they have low intelligence, wisdom and charisma below average. Which they normally don't, else, they wouldn't have been created in the first place, right?

Warforged take Wisdom and Charisma penalties...

Esser-Z
2010-10-01, 02:09 PM
Which are easily countered as a PC...

Tetrasodium
2010-10-01, 02:09 PM
However, what if an illegally-constructed warforged spent that time being trained in social skills and etiquette instead?

Maybe a scout model built to replace the child of a rich family...

I don't think the lord of blades would do such a thing, and Merrik doesn't seem the type since most of them are just getting dumped in the streets :P. A rich family could probably afford raise dead for about the same as a warforged, especially a custom built one.

Prime32
2010-10-01, 02:33 PM
I don't think the lord of blades would do such a thing, and Merrik doesn't seem the type since most of them are just getting dumped in the streets :P. A rich family could probably afford raise dead for about the same as a warforged, especially a custom built one.Merrix would do it if they could make it worth his while.

Maybe the child doesn't want to come back. Or maybe one of the Lords of Dust trapped the child's soul to make the family think that as part of one of their ongoing schemes.

dsmiles
2010-10-01, 05:09 PM
Me? I still just want to play a warforged like this;

That may be the baddest replicant warforged evar. Except for Deckard, of course. :smallwink:

Marnath
2010-10-01, 07:55 PM

But not an int penalty. They may be slow on the uptake and have trouble learning non-war things, or dealing with people, but they are clever warriors and tacticians usually. Which means they may not know how society expects things to be done, but they have experience in war. It is stated that alliances and betrayal were constantly shifting in the last war, so they have a decent chance of figuring out you're taking advantage of them even if they're fuzzy on the details of what should be happening.

Cerlis
2010-10-01, 08:24 PM

I should say "WHEN these ones emulate gender, they wont look like drag queens or amazon women when they choose a woman." The picture that keeps bouncing around is a good example, I was just giving a reason for it and an excuse to have both slight male as well as "female"
build

Tetrasodium
2010-10-01, 09:03 PM
But not an int penalty. They may be slow on the uptake and have trouble learning non-war things, or dealing with people, but they are clever warriors and tacticians usually. Which means they may not know how society expects things to be done, but they have experience in war. It is stated that alliances and betrayal were constantly shifting in the last war, so they have a decent chance of figuring out you're taking advantage of them even if they're fuzzy on the details of what should be happening.

I agree that something outlandish like being the only creature dressed like some bizzare gothic lolita like someone suggested is going to get a big "erm... wtf?" from a warforged. I don't disagree with Makiru in context (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9461374&postcount=74) of his believe just about anything comment. A lot of the cults and "evil" religions mentioned (good religions too) in the eberron books mention warforged members often trying to awkwardly fit in. Being told to throw a person in a bottomess pit because you were told to and being told to throw them in a pit because someone told you to do it as a proper sacrifice to a god they don't really understand is not all that different. Plus the "evil" eberron gods in the dark six really aren't all that evil, especially considering the Dark Six's PR campaign during the war and the fact that it is possibly the first time anyone tried to shape them towards religion.

2xMachina
2010-10-02, 06:05 AM
Well, thanks to this comic (http://keychain.patternspider.net/index.html), whenever I think of femme-forged I think of Alchemical Exalted.

Heh, this occurred to me too.

Also, for a full party of Warforged, you need a Psion (Shaper). You'd face healing problems before lvl 3 tho.

Radar
2010-10-02, 07:16 AM
For extra cutness, you might consider a variation of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159434&highlight=carebear) build. :smallbiggrin:

Marnath
2010-10-02, 11:02 AM

Also, for a full party of Warforged, you need a Psion (Shaper). You'd face healing problems before lvl 3 tho.

No you wouldn't.:smallconfused:
You'd just bring a sorceror with repair spells instead of a cleric......

Morph Bark
2010-10-02, 11:53 AM
The trollish sort? Of course, if the warforged is made that way to start with, there's the interesting question of whether/why it'd acquire a male personality.

Or for sociopsychological experimentation? Really, there's also humans in our world that are female but identify as male or who are male and identify as female. "Transsexual" warforged would be interesting, in an awkward kind of way.

Oh, yes.

Marnath
2010-10-02, 12:00 PM
Wouldn't changelings be more ideal for that sort of experimentation?

Morph Bark
2010-10-02, 12:17 PM

Not if said experimentation is about the sociopsychological progress a living construct makes under certain circumstances.

FelixG
2010-10-02, 06:48 PM
Or for sociopsychological experimentation? Really, there's also humans in our world that are female but identify as male or who are male and identify as female. "Transsexual" warforged would be interesting, in an awkward kind of way.

so a warforged...who is gender neutral...who thinks its a guy...who really...deep down thinks its a girl? 0.o that would be all kindsa "WHAT?!"

kamikasei
2010-10-02, 06:51 PM
so a warforged...who is gender neutral...who thinks its a guy...who really...deep down thinks its a girl? 0.o that would be all kindsa "WHAT?!"
A warforged, which is without sex, but thinks of itself as male, but is treated by others as female because of its appearance. Less "what".

Raises the question of what genderless warforged consider "being <gender>" to be, though, if not "acting within the social role of that gender and being treated as such by others".

Coidzor
2010-10-02, 06:52 PM

Changelings can perfectly change their sex to suit whatever they feel like though, so... yeah.

I think the idea is more there's a warforged which is by default a neuter, genderless, sexless entity. It's designed to outwardly resemble X or Y sex and is socialized as an entity with gender matching X or Y as appropriate. However, this particular forged decides/realizes that it is actually a Y-forged in an X-forged body, so to speak.

Rainbownaga
2010-10-04, 08:06 PM
Cute female warforged isn't weird- many warforged architect/engineers would would probably have a go at it for various reasons mentions mentioned in this thread.

Cute female warforged designed to eviscerate rivals while dressed in stage costume and singing show tunes would be the sign of a true evil genius.

The-Mage-King
2010-10-04, 08:19 PM
Cute female warforged designed to eviscerate rivals while dressed in stage costume and singing show tunes would be the sign of a true evil genius.

Evil? I'd say more comedic.

Tiki Snakes
2010-10-04, 08:52 PM
All of which is well and good, but going back to the implied concept, the emphasis should be much more on D'aaawww. So, yeah, naive/moe robot children. They're mostly 3 years old anyway, just play up to it.

That's what I'd call a cuteforged.

Something like... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99jQUCa-le0&feature=related)

Crasical
2010-10-04, 09:01 PM
Seems like most everyone here would be okay with a female-modded warforged, if not a cute little girl warforged.

Has anyone ever played either of the above in a game, though?

Marnath
2010-10-04, 09:33 PM
Seems like most everyone here would be okay with a female-modded warforged, if not a cute little girl warforged.

Has anyone ever played either of the above in a game, though?

I have not, sorry. :smallfrown:
I like that suggestion above though, the one about a rich couple building a girl warforged guardian because the normal ones are too scary.

Hague
2010-10-04, 11:02 PM
Warforged potentially have the ability to use embedded components to achieve certain senses. For instance, there is a mask that allows a warforged to smell and use the Scent ability.

Also note that the Psiforged, were technically created after the Last War and thus could be designed with whatever strange designs or personality quirks they came across.

NEO|Phyte
2010-10-04, 11:46 PM
Also note that the Psiforged, were technically created after the Last War and thus could be designed with whatever strange designs or personality quirks they came across.
All MoE says on psiforged is that they came wandering out of the Mournland after the Last War. Given that the Five Progenitors have been wiping the knowledge of their existence from peoples' minds, I suspect there's more to them than having been created after the war. There were further psiforged made by Baron Merrix, but this was after they showed up to begin with.

Scow2
2010-10-04, 11:54 PM
While it wasn't a cuteforged, I had a warforged with a unique bodytype.

I had a Female-identifying Warforged Warblade furry fan once. Using the Jaws of Death feat and a homebrew one that gave claws and Multiattack, I fluffed her as having changed her entire body to resemble a tiger: Feline face, digitigrade feet, a tail, togglable functional muzzle, Due to her Martial Stance, claws, black paint on her Mithral plating, and genuine white tiger fur between them. And enough blood and a small "heart" to keep the fur fluffy and soft.

I justified her bodily overhaul as her attempting to emulate the bodies of Weretigers and Rakshasa, which she gained a respect for when a rare Weretiger Annihillated her Platoon.

dsmiles
2010-10-05, 04:52 AM

IIRC Tome and Blood has a Repair X Damage chain of spells that function as healing spells for constructs. They (surprisingly) weren't broken as far as 3.x goes, and would be quite useful for the wizard in a party with a Warforged or three.

Coidzor
2010-10-05, 05:08 AM
And, they've been updated for 3.5 too. :smallwink:

Prime32
2010-10-05, 06:22 AM
IIRC Tome and Blood has a Repair X Damage chain of spells that function as healing spells for constructs. They (surprisingly) weren't broken as far as 3.x goes, and would be quite useful for the wizard in a party with a Warforged or three.Psions get psionic repair damage, with the bonus that they can share it with their psicrystal (very useful if you're using share pain to tank).

137beth
2010-10-05, 07:08 AM
I keep most of them close to where they are in the book. On occasion there are exceptions to specific warfarged, which might include a cuteforged as you describe.

DrWeird
2010-10-05, 11:50 AM
Well, I can't resist to do anything but play bad jokes with Warforged. At least, on the only one I played.

That is, an axe-wielding Warforged who was under a delusion that he was sent from the future to protect our party's rogue so that she could lead the resistance and save everyone in the future when the Warforged (read, LoB and his cronies) attempted to wipe out all the Fleshies. Oh, and he also got a magical inset later on that I haggled with the DM for that let him transform into a siege engine.

His name? Optima-T 800.