PDA

View Full Version : Suggesting Tiamat in Red Hand of Doom?

ExtravagantEvil
2010-09-30, 07:42 PM
Well, one PC is playing an Oslecamo Pixie/Rouge, and he wants to use suggestion on the Aspect of Tiamat, to turn it into a mount via constant suggestion and RAW use of Handle Animal with Magical beasts (Races of Dragon Feats).

How should I handle this? I really like the thought of the pixie riding Tiamat, but I don't know how to adjucate this at all! On one end, I see that it would be game breaking mildly, but its too badass to let lie.

What should I do?!!

Tyndmyr
2010-09-30, 07:49 PM
Suggestion is not permanent. It's merely an hour/level, provided he words the suggestion carefully.

If he does so, and the +11 will save isn't enough to save it, then let them be awesome. Until the spell runs out.

Then, an even MORE awesome battle happens.

lsfreak
2010-09-30, 07:49 PM
For one thing, the Aspect of Tiamat is not an animal. They'd have to use Diplomacy.

Secondly, I question the rationality of letting the players have something that can do 12d8 damage in a cone every round, or 5d8 points of Con damage.

If you really want to let him have it, it'll be high Diplomacy checks. And pray he doesn't piss her off, or he and the whole party are suddenly dead.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-30, 07:51 PM
Technically, suggestion targets a living creature, not an animal. So, valid target, and not immune.

The key is phrasing the question in such a way that an avatar of an angry god sent to kill you decides to play My Little Pony instead.

lsfreak
2010-09-30, 07:55 PM
Technically, suggestion targets a living creature, not an animal. So, valid target, and not immune.

The key is phrasing the question in such a way that an avatar of an angry god sent to kill you decides to play My Little Pony instead.

I meant that in reference to Handle Animal. That's not going to cut it with a dragon, especially not a dragon that's the aspect of ****ing Tiamat.

Benly
2010-09-30, 07:56 PM
"You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two). The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable."

The problem is that, Vaarsuvius's stunts aside, Suggestion is just not a spell that lets you do that. When you are talking about an aspect of an angry dragon god sent to smite you to gobbets, you are in an edge case of what will "sound reasonable". "We're beneath your notice - you should find something more worthy of your attention" might be a 'reasonable course of action' in this case. "Let me ride you like a pony", probably not.

MammonAzrael
2010-09-30, 07:59 PM
It won't work. I'm assuming you're talking about the Dragon Trainer feat found on pages 98-99 of Races of the Dragon. The feat specifies that the dragon in question must have an Intelligence of 6 or less, while the Aspect of Tiamat in RHoD has an Int of 19.

As others have said, Diplomacy should work though.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-30, 08:01 PM
"Let me ride you like a pony", probably not.

That exact phrasing would be quite hilarious, though. Doomed to fail completely and utterly, of course, but absolutely awesome to try.

Yeah, handle animal wouldn't really be appropiate. Even if you managed to get it to bite on the suggestion, it would still be an independent creature, and treated as such.

Mando Knight
2010-09-30, 11:29 PM
...Doesn't the Aspect of Tiamat, being the aspect of a deity, also have SR? And likely have something like Mind Blank or such to block mind control?

senrath
2010-09-30, 11:38 PM
...Doesn't the Aspect of Tiamat, being the aspect of a deity, also have SR? And likely have something like Mind Blank or such to block mind control?

Hilariously, no, it doesn't. It has immunity to sleep and paralysis, pathetic DR, and some elemental resistances. That's it.

Dralnu
2010-09-30, 11:48 PM
Player: "I cast suggestion! I know that we ruined your plans for world domination, Tiamat, but... May I ride you like a pony?""
DM: Yeah, Aspect of Tiamat attacks you.

Coidzor
2010-09-30, 11:50 PM
Obviously your pixie needs to diplomacize/seduce Tiamat in order to keep it. And if he can do that, you've got a diplomancer anyway.

But seriously, I don't think a pixie can ride anything that big.

hamishspence
2010-10-01, 05:01 AM
Riding big dragons is pretty traditional- while riding something the same size as you is suggested to be problematic in Arms & Equipment Guide, there's nothing that suggests riding something far bigger than you is problematic in the same way.

FelixG
2010-10-01, 05:27 AM
Terresque saddle, how much? :P

hamishspence
2010-10-01, 05:32 AM
Possibly use the prices for armour to determine the multiplier.

So- x32 for a Colossal nonhumanoid. Maybe then the price would be 32 times that of an Exotic Saddle (of whatever type you prefer- military or riding).