PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars Factions: What do you think?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Timarvay
2007-07-09, 07:58 PM
Paragons. I like Paragons. I pretty much ONLY play paragons in PvP, but if the team needs a elementalist for damage, I can do searing flames in a pinch, or do a healing monk, though I only monk in PvP. Other than that, rangers are a close second, and probably my favorite in PvE.

Incidentally, I'm in the process of making a HA group build with only primary paragons. It is truly amazing what a paragon can do. They can use shouts for nearly unremoveable protection that rivals monks, but they can boost offense and heal with them too. Not only that, they have decent offense with spears, and great armor.

Abardam
2007-07-10, 04:05 AM
Warrior. Brute force is awesome.

Next is either assassin or paragon.

Jayemji
2007-07-10, 11:53 AM
I have trouble sticking to one profession, honestly. The only class I DON'T play regularly is an assassin. At the moment, I'm playing around with my Paragon most often, with my elementalist as a close second. In fact, my paragon has all but replaced my monk, what with the P/W PvE defensive buff-bot build. (+121 party-wide AL, anyone?)

Bzar
2007-07-11, 06:12 AM
I'll take that offer!

There is a build that my friends guild SoDM uses that they call the paraway build. It uses one of their elite skills that heals every time they use a skill and such. The ENTIRE team is just paragons. It's awesome. I believe they captured halls with it one time.

Timarvay
2007-07-11, 08:58 AM
Where can I find this build?

Also, I'm really not surprised they took the halls with it. It would be easy. The other team wouldn't know what to try to kill first, and the paragons can heal and buff themselves while still dealing damage.

Jayemji
2007-07-11, 12:28 PM
There's a reason paragons have been getting the nerf stick time and time again. Party-wide effects are incredibly powerful. Oh, and "Go for the Eyes" is still broken. In fact, it's one of the few command skills worth taking nowadays.

Bzar
2007-07-13, 06:01 AM
What do you mean by "broken"? From our perspective, GftE is certainly in working order. Helps me a heck of a lot. :smallbiggrin:

Timaravy: the build hasn't been posted anywhere; they came up with it on their own. Works pretty well as I've said.

Jayemji
2007-07-13, 09:52 AM
+30% chance to critical with 0 attributes in command? Granted, it's only useable every 4th hit, but still...

2 paragons with that + assassins/dervishes make for an interesting time if they've invested even a little command.

EDIT Wait, what am I saying? Just have the assassins bring GFTE. Good lord that's just evil! (In a good way, obviously)

Thervold
2007-07-13, 02:36 PM
Heck, just have a Barrage ranger bring GftE and spam it to no end (as long as a few foes are clumped)

(as a BG2 fan, I still love that shout... "Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes! *squeeeeel!*)

Bzar
2007-07-13, 07:09 PM
BG2 = Baldurs Gate 2?

Anyhow, splinter barrager + GftE barrage = AWESOME!

During this PvP weekend so far... I have played about 50 games... and won 2. About half of the losses come from leavers. :smallfurious:

EDIT: I'm short on plat again. Where's a good place to 55 that hasn't yet received the nerf boot?

Timarvay
2007-07-14, 08:13 PM
A list of good farming areas in general would be nice.

I pretty much farm the first bit of Consulate docks for pendants to convert into scrolls now. I've gotten pretty good at it.

Thervold
2007-07-16, 11:42 AM
One of my alliance buds showed me how to use a 600 monk to farm Gates of Kryta in hard mode. Take a hero monk to supply sustained enchantments while you get into the fray and spam spirit bond. I've only done it once, but I might try it again sometime to see how profitable it is.

Depending on how many PvE characters you have through Elona, you can make a good sum of cash just opening the unlocked treasure chests in the high end areas. Chests in the high end areas such as the realm of torment and the desolation hold 2-3k each, so cycling through multiple characters can easily get you a good sum of money and they reset after a month or so. Check out http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Treasure for locations.

Also, find ways to cut your expenses. You really don't need much money in this game at all. 1.5k armor is just as good as 15k or obsidian as far as game mechanics are concerned. Buy non-elite tomes for gaining skills, as you can often buy them for 500g instead of a full 1k assuming you can find someone selling the tomes. Most green weapons can be made through using a collector somewhere and adding mods. Id and salvage kits can be obtained via collector items from quest rewards (although it may be economically better to buy something else and sell it). I can't really think of anything you really need money for.

Timarvay
2007-07-16, 02:33 PM
I'm farming so I can get Primeval armor when I finish the last two Nightfall missions, and so I can get guildhall NPCs.

So, any other areas? I can use all of the chapters.

Thervold
2007-07-17, 11:20 AM
Hmm, I don't really farm, so I don't know of the good locations to do it. http://www.pvxwiki.com/wiki/Category:All_working_farming_builds has a list of various farming builds for different areas, including DoA and a few isolated Hard Mode zones.

Timarvay
2007-07-17, 12:07 PM
Not a lot to work with using my current PvE characters, but that did give me some ideas. Now to put them into practice.

Bzar
2007-07-17, 05:24 PM
There has been a flurry of updates going on, especially doing with the chat and such. What do you guys think of all of these new updates. Some of them, like resizing the party box, are definitley useful to a monk and such.

Here are the new update notes: http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Game_updates

Looks like they're finally forcing use of the "Search" function. I was beginning to think I was the only one who used it...:smallsmile:

Abardam
2007-07-18, 07:28 AM
Whenever a party leader broadcasts “glf,” “lfg,” lfp,” “wtb,” “wts,” or “wtt” in All chat, that party will now be entered into Party Search automatically with that chat message used as the party's description.
Heheh. Refuse to use our features, will you?

Penguinizer
2007-07-18, 07:42 AM
Heh, nice idea.

Anyways. I haven't played that much. But might pop on every now and then, mainly to tear myself away from WoW >.>

Abardam
2007-07-20, 08:31 PM
Just saw the Eye of the North trailer (http://www.guildwars.com/products/eyeofthenorth/gallery/video/).

Bzar
2007-07-20, 09:17 PM
ZOMG! GWEN'S THERE! Looking better than Cynn too. =O

Thervold
2007-08-02, 12:30 AM
My brother found this GW music video, and I thought it was cool enough to share with other GW fans: Guild Wars MV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0kQICdlAIs)

The same group made a follow up video with Elonian characters:Guild Wars MV II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z0pD5NNxew)

Bzar
2007-08-04, 07:41 AM
Heh, those are pretty good.

There is a trailer showing the new minigames and some new stuff for GWEN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12hpnisLWuU

looks good to me! ^^

Abardam
2007-08-04, 08:39 PM
@Thervold: Those are some incredibly awesome editing skills right there. Unless they're not, and it's all in-game footage, which would be weird.

@Bzar: I want to play Polynock now. And get that awesome beard.

Thervold
2007-08-09, 06:27 PM
The primary locales in the video do not exist anywhere in the game, and many of the movements made by the lead elementalist cannot be reproduced in game. My guess is the creater managed to strip model and texture information from the data file (that multi-gig dump that lies in your guild wars folder) then used some animation program to create the vid. Regardless, it's an incredible work.

So has anyone else preordered GWEN to participate in the preview next week? I hope they let us try out some of the new minigames :)

Timarvay
2007-08-09, 06:54 PM
I'm going to beg and plead with my parent's to let me preorder. I also want to get it online so I can get the bonus mission pack.

Foeofthelance
2007-08-09, 11:36 PM
What can you guys tell us about the upcoming Dragon Festival this weekend? Is there any bit in the game we have to be at, or is it open to anyone? What to do, where to go, what to see?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-10, 01:26 AM
Two questions:
one:
I hear about 55'ing all the time. What is it?
two:
Is thee any way for a Prophecies charecter to go to the Shing Jea monastary? (I have factions)

Abardam
2007-08-10, 02:04 AM
@Foeofthelance: Dragon festival was originally Canthan (hence, Shing Jea Monastery). Dunno if it's happening anywhere else though. What to do: Mingames (Dragon Arena and possibly Rollerbeetle Racing), Boardwalk (some gambling stuff), festival quests, and a festival hat.

@Thanatos: 55ing = 55 hp monking. Basically you get your hp down to 55 with superior runes and that -50hp off-hand, and I suppose you rely on Protective Spirit or something (to take like 5.5 damage max). I think people used to use it to farm. Although, I haven't tried it. Also, yes, there is a way. Go to LA, and talk to some guard (I forget the name, but he's got the quest symbol above his head) to get the "Go to Cantha" (or something like that) quest.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-10, 02:21 AM
Also, yes, there is a way. Go to LA, and talk to some guard (I forget the name, but he's got the quest symbol above his head) to get the "Go to Cantha" (or something like that) quest.

I've done that, that gets you to Kaineg Center. The festivel happens at Shing Jea monastery, the starting area for the Factions campagin. I don't even know how to go back wtihout map-travel with a factions charecter. I want my main (A prophecies) to go to the Dragon Festivel.
See where I'm going, here?

Abardam
2007-08-10, 05:07 AM
Oh yeah. How did I get to Shing Jea...
Wait, I think there's another port (an outpost; not kaineng center) in Kaineng City.

EDIT: Kaineng Docks, northwest of the marketplace

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-10, 06:46 AM
I made it, thanks.

Malic
2007-08-10, 09:43 AM
I really kind of quit this game for 5 months now I'm getting back to it and I haven't finished a single Campaign. Lol.

Thervold
2007-08-10, 09:33 PM
Don't worry. My brother has been playing since the game came out and still hasn't completed any campaign either. Some people can fly through them, others take their time.

Timarvay
2007-08-11, 11:05 AM
I have yet to finish one either. Mind you, I mostly hang out in PvP, though I've been doing that less. Most of the people sicken me. They so much as start to lose, they quit. They win, they act rude. Nearly as bad in PvE. Plus, the names! Oh the names. How few people do not have something that most people wouldn't think of showing anyone not between the ages of 15-35.

Thervold
2007-08-11, 12:38 PM
You need to find a good guild/alliance if you do team PvP, otherwise you get a lot of people just bailing out. I've started playing a healer role more often in random PvP due to the fact that if a team doesn't have a monk, there's a 90% chance at least one player on the team will leave before the game begins... it's really quite annoying. I've found that most of the good teams that can survive 10 rounds in RA consist of more mature attitudes.

Bzar
2007-08-11, 12:52 PM
That's why I monk in PvP. I have gotten no leavers on my team for the past... 30 or so games. Also, it makes them much nicer. =P

Seriously though, leavers should be punished. Severely. It's not really "fair" to the rest of us who like to play damage classes that aren't support.

Timarvay
2007-08-11, 01:53 PM
I play a healer a lot in PvP. Just not a monk. Therefor, most people do not think I am playing a healer.

Seriously, I find a Paragon/Ritualist monks better than a monk, normally.

Malic
2007-08-11, 08:13 PM
I got a Monk/Paragon and a Ranger/Ritualist for my Pvper's.

I still haven't found a REALLY good farm spot for my war monk...Btw anyone in a Luxon Alliance guild I can become a guest too. I'll totally donate faction to you.(I'm stuck in a freinds guild who I bought the game for)

I just got Nightfall so I don't really have any good builds for my Monk/Paragon anyone got one I might be able to borrow?

Yay for R-A-M-B-L-I-N-G!

Grey Paladin
2007-08-15, 09:25 AM
What do you think about the new Assassin elite from GWEN?

Way of the Master (Elite Enchantment, 0E, 1/4A, R30)

For 60 seconds, while holding a non-dagger weapon, you have an additional 3...27% chance to land a critical hit.

Critical Strikes 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Critical hit chance 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29 31 33 35 37 39 41

I was thinking of making a PvE build based on this, A/D, Scythe criticals really hurt and with 13 ranks in critical strikes and 12 in Scythe Mastery, together with this Elite thats a 57% to critical each hit, 70% if I use Critical Eye, I'll combine Critical Agility and Critical Defense with this build and I'll be able to tank better then Warriors as well as dish heavy damage, with an Armor level of 92 (107 while attacking), 75% to block attacks and the capability to Heal myself for 36 HP per a foe I'm in melee with 70% of the time, as well as gain 4 energy for each hit.

Way of the Master, Critical Eye, Critical Agility, Critical Defense, Way of Perfection, Chilling Victory, Mystic Sweep, Radiant Scythe.

thoughts?

Abardam
2007-08-15, 09:40 AM
That is an awesome skill. I think I'll bring back my Axe-assin. Can't say much about the Derv parts, as I don't have one, but you do have the Big 3 of Crits (in my opinion: Crit Eye, Defense, and Way of Perfection).

EDIT: Also it appears to not be elite. Way of the Assassin, anyone?

Grey Paladin
2007-08-15, 09:47 AM
Well these are the Nightfall skills I used:

Critical Agility (PvE only) (E5 1A R30)

For 4 seconds and 1 second for each rank of Critical Strikes, you attack 33% faster and gain +10...22 armor. This Skill reapplies itself every time you land a critical hit.

Sunspear rank 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
+Armor 10 11 13 14 16 17 19 20 22 23 25

Critical Strikes 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Total duration (seconds) 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Chilling Victory (10E 0A 10R)

If it hits, this attack strikes for +5...17 damage. Whenever it hits a foe who has less Health than you, target foe and all adjacent foes are struck for 15...51 cold damage.

Mystic Sweep (5E 3/4A 4R)

If this attack hits, you deal +5...9 damage for each Enchantment on you (maximum 30 bonus damage).

Radiant Scythe (5E 0A 6R)

This attack strikes for +2 damage for each point of Energy you currently have (maximum 5...41 damage).

Abardam
2007-08-15, 10:15 AM
You still haven't filled out your elite spot, yaknow.

(Also, damn. Why did nobody tell me about Critical Agility? I need that skill! And actual Sunspear ranks I suppose.)

Grey Paladin
2007-08-15, 10:33 AM
(^*^$&^($&*%^#^&$&*^*$&$^%$&&^$%^$#

Way of the Master isn't Elite!??!?!
Honestly, way of the assassin doesn't have any place in this build due to its short duration, but that means that you could theoretically raise your critical hit chance to 100! (Moderate Rune)

Guess I'll replace Radiant Scythe with Reaper's Sweep

(5E 0A 8R)
If this attack hits, you deal +10...34 damage. If your target was below 50% Health, you also inflict a Deep Wound for 5...17 seconds.

Thervold
2007-08-15, 11:11 AM
It's not, there are no elites in GWEN.

I noticed you're using Way of Perfection, but you have no points in Shadow Arts. You'll have enough spare points to put three into it, and add a rune to bump it up to four, but that's still only 18, not 36 health and lasts a good deal shorter than I think you planned.

Look up some of those other PvE only skills too, Abardam. Most of them are quite powerful, although I think Critical Agility is one of the better ones. At least Sunspear ranks are easy enough to get. Just do a few quests in Vabbi or the Desolation and remember to pick up the bounties, or just jump in a wurm and wreck havoc on some undead in hard mode in the Sulfurous Wastes.

Grey Paladin
2007-08-15, 11:31 AM
It's not, there are no elites in GWEN.

I noticed you're using Way of Perfection, but you have no points in Shadow Arts. You'll have enough spare points to put three into it, and add a rune to bump it up to four, but that's still only 18, not 36 health and lasts a good deal shorter than I think you planned.

Thank you for pointing this out, I have not noticed.
Should I find some way to pump up my Shadow Arts for this single skill?
if not, can you suggest a replacement?

Abardam
2007-08-15, 10:35 PM
Honestly, the only PvE-only I have is on my Paragon ("Nothing to Fear" or something), because he's the only one with enough ranks. But it's still pretty awesome. Does it stack with "They're on fire"? Oh, and I think I have that Kurzick/Luxon Assassin one.

@Grey Paladin: If you don't care all that much about damage, you could shave off a couple points off scythe mastery. You'll get about 36 points, enough for about 8 ranks, I think. Add a minor rune, and you'll be scoring 28 health per crit.

Grey Paladin
2007-08-16, 05:19 AM
That could work, but lowering my critical %, damage, and the effectiveness of all my attack skills (including my elite) is really worth it for insane "regeneration"?

Abardam
2007-08-16, 05:33 AM
At 13 Critical Strikes and 10 Scythe Mastery:
13% (Crit Strikes) + 14.3% (Scythe Mastery) + 13% (Crit Eye) + 29% (Way of the Master) + 31% (Way of the Assassin) = 100.3% chance to crit. Of course, this is assuming critical hit rate is additive (I think it is). And you aren't attacking someone with Balanced Stance/Stoneflesh Aura/whatever.

EDIT: Unless you are using Reaper's Sweep, which cuts it down to about 70%

Grey Paladin
2007-08-16, 05:41 AM
Well if I throw in Way of the Assassin I am afraid I'd be out of energy more often then not due to having constantly recast short duration buffs.

Abardam
2007-08-16, 05:52 AM
13 Critical Strikes: 3 energy per crit
Critical Eye: +1
= 4 energy per crit (at least once per 1.75 seconds, more with Critical Agility)

4 pips of energy regeneration = 4 energy per 3 seconds

Way of the Assassin is 5 energy and lasts 20 seconds.

Grey Paladin
2007-08-16, 06:23 AM
You have a point >>

Abardam
2007-08-19, 08:40 AM
Ran a Decapitate build in RA, and it was pretty fun. I use Ether Signet to get back energy after the Decapitate, so if it somehow doesn't kill or if I need to get on a new target I can use my energy-based attacks immediately. That 45 sec recharge is a downer though. Anyone have any ideas on how to improve?

The Build:
Enraging Charge (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Enraging_Charge)/Sprint (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Sprint)
Furious Axe (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Furious_Axe) (sweet skill by the way)
Critical Chop (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Critical_Chop)
Executioner's Strike (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Executioner%27s_Strike)
Decapitate (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Decapitate)
Ether Signet (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Ether_Signet)
Ether Feast (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Ether_Feast)
Res Signet

Other Stuff:
Leech Signet - bit conditional
Ether Lord - long (ish) casting time; energy gain too slow
Signet of Lost Souls - soul reaping
Signet of Disenchantment

Thervold
2007-08-24, 11:43 AM
Eye of the North preview makes me happy. Finally some quests that are more interesting than "follow quest marker, kill stuff, repeat"

Timarvay
2007-08-24, 11:48 AM
Massive load for the fissure behind Kamadan though. Guildwars did its autoclose during the load, because evidently my computer got one of its math problems wrong. I REALLY wish I could turn that off.

Bzar
2007-08-24, 08:22 PM
Got one of its math problems wrong? Wazzat supposed to mean?

Damage Control
2007-08-24, 10:57 PM
I didn't bother with the pre-order. I'm not gonna pay to play a game that isn't complete yet. I'll buy it when it comes out. I have to work on completing Nightfall for my Paragon anyways, so I can use him when it actually comes out.

Timarvay
2007-08-25, 10:56 AM
Guildwars makes the computer do math problems during the game. If it gets one wrong, the game closes.

Logic
2007-08-25, 03:28 PM
Guildwars makes the computer do math problems during the game. If it gets one wrong, the game closes.
Is this something exclusive to your installation, or is this supposed to be on all versions? Besides, a computer can't get a math problem wrong. If it can't get the answer, then it is not programmed to understand the symbols used.

Timarvay
2007-08-25, 03:46 PM
Its a thing on all of them, you get a popup browser about it when it happens. It is designed to test to make sure your computer is not overheating, and it has properly working memory.

Jayemji
2007-08-26, 09:27 PM
Is this something exclusive to your installation, or is this supposed to be on all versions? Besides, a computer can't get a math problem wrong.Not quite. A computer can make errors when it is unstable.

Timarvay
2007-08-27, 05:15 AM
Found the problem. My ventilation holes were so full of dust and cat hair that they were no longer holes.

Jayemji
2007-08-29, 10:20 AM
Found the problem. My ventilation holes were so full of dust and cat hair that they were no longer holes.

That would do it. I had a friend who's CPU heatsink was a literal brick of dust.

Timarvay
2007-08-29, 10:25 AM
Thats nothing. I had melted the glue off the heatsink in my computer. The only reason it was still in place was the cathair getting tangled with it and holding it in.

Second time I've done that, oddly.