PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, PEACH, silly] The Agricultist

Benly
2010-10-01, 06:14 AM
This PrC is intended for entry by the Chicken Master (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167862) prestige class by M-Bark. It builds on that class's strengths, while taking it in a different, more sinister direction.

Agricultist

For the most part, Chicken Masters are simple folk who want nothing more than to raise and wield their chickens in peace. Sometimes, though, that's not enough. Sometimes, the lure of power grows too strong.

Sometimes, the chicken goes bad.

The Agricultist draws upon the power of dark forces, which happen to be chickens, to pursue his nefarious goals. The nefarious goals may also be chickens. To achieve his goals, he allies himself with ever more dangerous and wicked poultry, sacrificing and driving out the chickens that once infested him in the pursuit of other, more powerful chickens.

Making an Agricultist
Only Commoners are sufficiently infested with chickens to become Agricultists, and most Agricultists were Chicken Masters before falling to the dark-meat side. Occasionally an Agricultist will have gained levels in another class before yielding to his fell and chicken-related desires, but this is rare.

Abilities: As the key ability for Handle Animal, Charisma is probably the most important ability score for an Agricultist. However, if anyone liked you, you probably wouldn't be screwing around with evil magic chickens. Constitution and Dexterity are also important for surviving enemy attacks, as well as the attacks of grumpy chickens. Intelligence is useful, but again, if you were smart you probably wouldn't be screwing around with evil magic chickens.
Alignment: Agricultists are usually evil, as they consort with dark but small-minded powers to gain their abilities. However, a few Agricultists choose to turn their power to higher ends. No truly good person would walk the path of the Agricultist, but some neutral Agricultists exist, using their dark and ridiculous powers towards noble and yet still ridiculous goals.
Races: Agricultists are not exactly common among any of the races. However, they are found most often among humans, halflings, and half-orcs: humans and halflings because they are the races most engaged in farm labor, and half-orcs because they are frequently drawn to dark forces and also frequently not terribly bright.

Entry Requirements:
Alignment: Any nongood
Skill: Handle Animal 8 ranks, Knowledge: Religion 4 ranks
Flaw: Chicken-Infested

Class Skills
The Agricultist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Religion (Int), Knowledge: The Planes (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + Int

Hit Dice: d4

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|Coq Au Vile

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0|Wishbone (cantrips)

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|Fowl Pact

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|Poultrygeist, Wishbone (level 1 spells)

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|Capodaemon, Wishbone (level 2 spells)[/table]

Coq Au Vile: The Agricultist is no longer infested with ordinary chickens, but with chickens from beyond the grave. Starting at class level 1, the Agricultist's Chicken-Infested flaw produces either skeletal or zombie chickens (whichever the Agricultist prefers) each time it is activated. An Agricultist with the Corpsecrafter feat (Libris Mortis) or feats requiring Corpsecrafter as a prerequisite may apply the bonuses granted by these feats to chickens created by Coq au Vile. These chickens are not automatically under the Agricultist's control, but may be influenced with Handle Animal as if they were normal animals with a standard chicken's Intelligence score despite being mindless. If he possesses the Otherfarmly Heritage ability (from Chicken Master or another source) it may be applied to these undead chickens as normal.

Wishbone (Sp): Starting at level 2, an Agricultist may, as a full-round action, sacrifice a chicken he is holding to duplicate the effect of any sorcerer or wizard cantrip. At level 4, this ability may also duplicate any level 1 sorcerer or wizard spell of the necromancy or enchantment schools, or any level 1 sorcerer or wizard spell possessing the [Evil] descriptor. At level 5 this ability may also duplicate level 2 sorcerer or wizard spells subject to the same school limitations as level 1 spells, up to five times per day plus however many level 2 bonus spells the Agricultist would be entitled to from high Charisma, if any. The spells have a caster level equal to the Agricultist's class level. Save DCs are based on the agricultist's Charisma or the Charisma of the sacrificed chicken, whichever is higher. Using this ability destroys the chicken.

Fowl Pact: A level 3 Agricultist is contacted by infernal forces with very small ambitions. He may choose to apply the Fiendish template rather than the Skeleton or Zombie template to his chickens. As with Coq au Vile, the chickens may be handled with Handle Animal and Otherfarmly may be applied on top of this ability.

Poultrygeist: A level 4 Agricultist, when a chicken is drawn forth from his infestation, may choose to apply the Ghost Brute template (Savage Species) instead of the Skeleton, Zombie or Fiendish template to his chicken. As with Coq au Vile, the benefits of Corpsecrafter feats may be applied to undead chickens produced with this ability, Otherfarmly may be applied, and the spectral chickens may be handled with Handle Animal, presuming the Agricultist can figure out a way to Handle a chicken he can't touch. Poultrygeists evaporate at dawn with an eerie crowing (forcing a Will save vs. becoming shaken as per their Bloodcurdling Howl ability).

Capodaemon: At level 5, the Agricultist reaches the summit of his infernal chicken-related powers. He may apply the Coq au Vile and Fowl Pact abilities simultaneously to produce fiendish skeletal chickens or fiendish zombie chickens from his chicken infestation. As with his other abilities, the benefits of Corpsecrafter feats may be applied, Otherfarmly may add yet another template, and the vile chickens produced may be handled with Handle Animal.

Designer's Notes: I wrote this class on an insomnia bender, so the balance probably needs some tweaking. Wishbone is a relatively strong ability, eventually granting at-will level 2 spells, and the heavily-templated chickens can potentially form a relatively dangerous fighting force, especially with Corpsecrafter feats applied. On the other hand, if you can't think of something better to do by level 10 than cast level 2 spells at CL 5 while leading exploding fiendish skelechickens, you probably need to re-examine your life.

Modification: removed Chicken Master prerequisite; it is the natural entry but I saw no reason to mandate it. Added K: Religion prerequisite to reflect a working knowledge of undead chickens.
Modification: Added uses per day limit to Wishbone in light of potential Control Undead abuses and other concerns. Poultrygeist now vanish at dawn, again in light of potential Control Undead abuse.

Morph Bark
2010-10-01, 07:56 AM
Great class! Goes along amazingly with the Chicken Master indeed (and if combined with the Barngod (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170098)... oh my!). A few points though:

I'd make Coq Au Vile have the same HD limitations as Animate Dead, as in that you can't control more HD in undead chickens than twice your Agricultist + Commoner + Chicken Master + relevant PrCs level. Otherwise you could, in theory, have an unlimited amount of undead chickens under your control, which, while it might work for a silly campaign where the players don't play as optimized as they easily could (through Coq Au Vile as it is, they could easily with few other options).

I'd limit Wishbone to an amount of uses per-day, at least for the higher-level spells. At character level 9 minimum you'd get to 1st-level spells, but you could essentially cast an infinite amount of them. Limits would be a smart idea.

Can't really comment on Poultrygeist due to not knowing how strong the Ghost Brute template is, but keep in mind that incorporeality is really good a lot of times. I like the pun though, same as with Fowl Pact. Perhaps, like Otherfarmly Heritage, it could be made to have a limited amount of uses per day. Same for the Capodaemon ability.

Also, perhaps requiring more than what you have already is a good idea. The Corpsegrafter feat for instance, or a special requirement that they must have been in contact with a necromantic spell that knocked them to dying, but they survived.

Benly
2010-10-01, 08:22 AM
Great class! Goes along amazingly with the Chicken Master indeed (and if combined with the Barngod (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170098)... oh my!).

Indeed, Fowl Pact is actually almost worthless unless combined with the Barngod. Chickens don't have enough HD to get anything worthwhile out of Fiendish without the increased size a Barngod can deploy. (Edit: looking at it, Barngod doesn't actually increase the chicken's HD. Fiendish chickens are a joke even for Barngods, then.)

A few points though:

I'd make Coq Au Vile have the same HD limitations as Animate Dead, as in that you can't control more HD in undead chickens than twice your Agricultist + Commoner + Chicken Master + relevant PrCs level. Otherwise you could, in theory, have an unlimited amount of undead chickens under your control, which, while it might work for a silly campaign where the players don't play as optimized as they easily could (through Coq Au Vile as it is, they could easily with few other options).

In my eyes, this is counterbalanced by the fact that your only control over them is with Handle Animal. Per the SRD, "Handling an animal is a move action, while pushing an animal is a full-round action." Thus, while you can make all the zombie chickens you want to infest the countryside, you can only actually direct two of them per turn, and those only once you've trained them. I'd allow Handle Animal to sort of lead/wrangle a flock in a general direction, but, well, chickens aren't exactly the brightest creatures even before a mindless template is applied.:smallsmile:

I'd limit Wishbone to an amount of uses per-day, at least for the higher-level spells. At character level 9 minimum you'd get to 1st-level spells, but you could essentially cast an infinite amount of them. Limits would be a smart idea.

I did consider that Wishbone could be excessively powerful if there was a spell I wasn't thinking of. The basic question is, is there any first-level necromancy or enchantment sorcerer/wizard spell for which unlimited access with caster level 5 would break the game at ECL 9? All the ones in the SRD and Spell Compendium are direct combat spells except Charm Person and Hypnotism, which are still "face-to-face" spells - basically, if the strongest thing a level 9 character can throw around is those particular first-level spells, he's underpowered even if he can throw them all day (because it's still only one per round, and that's still the only thing he's doing that round.)

That said, I do notice two level 2 spells which could be problematic: Ghoul Glyph and Control Undead. Ghoul Glyph because it's used out of combat and has permanent duration, and Control Undead because it allows the Agricultist to violate the limitations imposed by Handle Animal on how many chickens he can usefully command. I may limit level 2 spells to 3/day or 5/day (one less than a wizard or sorcerer of that character level respectively).

Edit: I did tentatively add a uses/day limitation, because in addition to the Control Undead issue, I had entirely forgotten that I'd allowed [Evil] descriptor spells, which I had not bothered to work out in detail. I'm still not convinced that level 1 spells are a huge issue, though - I'll look over the [Evil] spells available but I'm not sure it actually changes much.

Can't really comment on Poultrygeist due to not knowing how strong the Ghost Brute template is, but keep in mind that incorporeality is really good a lot of times. I like the pun though, same as with Fowl Pact. Perhaps, like Otherfarmly Heritage, it could be made to have a limited amount of uses per day. Same for the Capodaemon ability.

Poultrygeist is probably the Agricultist's most powerful ability and yet probably the least useful. Most powerful because, as you note, incorporeal creatures are relatively powerful - least useful because, as the text suggests, I envision an incorporeal chicken being nearly impossible to usefully apply Handle Animal to. :smallsmile: Control Undead will still work, in which case you get an incorporeal chicken with a 1d4-damage touch attack, a save-or-shaken with an abysmal DC, and a touch or ranged touch attack that deals 1d6 negative energy damage on a failed save. I could be wrong, but I thought counters to incorporeal creatures were pretty common by ECL 9? It's still probably the strongest ability; maybe Poultrygeists should dissipate at sunrise so you can only have as many as you're willing to burn your Control Undead castings on at once.

Capodaemon does not need to be limited, since as noted Fiendish is nearly worthless on chickens, even undead chickens. :smallsmile: Literally all they get out of it is 5 fire resistance, 5 cold resistance (redundant on skeletons) and +1 damage smite once per day. In the end... a chicken is still a chicken.

Also, perhaps requiring more than what you have already is a good idea. The Corpsegrafter feat for instance, or a special requirement that they must have been in contact with a necromantic spell that knocked them to dying, but they survived.

I sort of waffle on this. I'm not sure it's mechanically required, but close contact with sinister and chickeny forces would be kind of an amusing RP requirement to put in.

Magicyop
2010-10-01, 08:24 AM
Great class! Goes along amazingly with the Chicken Master indeed (and if combined with the Barngod (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170098)... oh my!). A few points though:

COLOSSAL FIENDISH HALF-DRAGON ZOMBIE CHICKENS!!!
:smalleek:

Joking aside, great class. Perfect... for the dark side of chicken-wielding. I can't really think of any changes.

DracoDei
2010-10-01, 06:56 PM
Since when do you need to be able to touch an animal to train it?(which is what Handle Animal is).

And even if you did... well I guess 16,000 for a pair of ghost-touch gauntlets is pretty steep...

Benly
2010-10-01, 07:15 PM
Since when do you need to be able to touch an animal to train it?(which is what Handle Animal is).

And even if you did... well I guess 16,000 for a pair of ghost-touch gauntlets is pretty steep...

I don't know, maybe I have a strange idea of what training an animal entails but it seems like it would be difficult to train an animal you are incapable of physically interacting with in any way.