PDA

View Full Version : my grandmothers cooking is bad

super dark33
2010-10-01, 06:29 AM
once a few weeks, im visiting my fathers mother with my family.
most of the visits are around the meal she makes.
the only things with orginal tastes are the bought things (like pickals)
and most of the food is close to pass away.
so how can i tell her that without hurting her badly?

thubby
2010-10-01, 06:54 AM
offer to show up with food?

do your parents agree with you? they're in a better position to deal with this than you are.

Eldan
2010-10-01, 07:55 AM
My great-grandmother had that problem... she sometimes had food in her fridge that was over a year old.

So we always offered to take her out to a restaurant.

Mauve Shirt
2010-10-01, 09:34 AM
Offer to cook for her.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-01, 11:10 AM
Offer to cook for her.

offer to show up with food?

Yeah, offer to bring something else. She'll just think of it as a nice gesture. I don't think you should actually tell her her food tastes bad.

Mathis
2010-10-01, 11:28 AM
Talk to your parents. They are, as mentioned before in a better position to talk to your grandmother than you are. Also, there is a big difference between close to expiration date, past expiration date and unfit to eat. Most foods are perfectly fine to eat even weeks, and in some cases (like eggs) months after it's expiration date. NOTE: AS LONG AS IT HAS BEEN KEPT REFRIGERATED. This is an important thing to remember.

And also, taste is subjective. Perhaps your grandmother actually really likes the taste of the food she makes. This is another good reason to bring it up with your parents first, they might also enjoy the taste. So yeah, talk about this with your family.

mucat
2010-10-01, 11:50 AM
Offer to cook for her.

This. Even if she doesn't want to go to a restaurant, she would probably love it if you cooked a meal at her house. It means extra time that she gets to hang out with you, it's a fun project, and since it gives you access to her kitchen, you can take note of anything that really is dangerously spoiled, and quietly make a grocery run to replace it before the next time she cooks.

Emphasize the chance for you and your grandmother to spend time together, not the fact that you will be cooking instead of her.

kyoryu
2010-10-01, 01:45 PM
Suck it up, smile, and eat the food.

Sooner than you think, she won't be with you any more. And when that happens, you'll wish you had the opportunity to eat her food again if that meant you got to see her one more time.

super dark33
2010-10-01, 04:20 PM
do your parents agree with you? they're in a better position to deal with this than you are.

yes they agree fully with me

Offer to cook for her.

my grandmother: no you dont need you came form long.....

Suck it up, smile, and eat the food.

Sooner than you think, she won't be with you any more. And when that happens, you'll wish you had the opportunity to eat her food again if that meant you got to see her one more time.

Yes... i will remember the puke&poop when i get home after the meals.....

Deathslayer7
2010-10-01, 06:38 PM
might i ask what she cooks that tastes so horrendous? :smallconfused:

TSGames
2010-10-01, 07:41 PM

You don't tell her, you do what your father and all the other members of your family have done and pretend you like the food. It's only once it a few weeks and it won't kill you. Man up.

THAC0
2010-10-01, 07:48 PM

You can't.

Sorry, there's just no non-hurtful way to convey that information to someone who is clearly doing this as a way to show that she cares about you.

Your choices are:
1) suck it up
2) find a way to cook yourself or convince her to go out to eat

Cleavon
2010-10-01, 07:59 PM
Yeah I have to know. What is she cooking that is so bad? Rock ground mustard and blood sausage?

mucat
2010-10-01, 08:03 PM
my grandmother: no you dont need you came form long.....

Which is why you don't make it sound like you're offering to work for her. Make it clear that you'll have fun cooking, and that what you really want is the chance to hang out with her in the kitchen while you make dinner.

C'mon, there is no way she could not enjoy making dinner with you. Put a few skill points into Diplomacy, dude!

super dark33
2010-10-02, 04:25 AM
Yeah I have to know. What is she cooking that is so bad? Rock ground mustard and blood sausage?

anything......

Marnath
2010-10-02, 12:06 PM
I have to ask, was she always bad at cooking or is this more recently? Because many good cooks lose their touch once their taste buds start to fail, as they cannot test it to see if it is right anymore.

dehro
2010-10-02, 12:31 PM
what others said: man up

also, ask around (without making a big thing of it)..see if the family shares the opinion and if they are game for trying to introduce a "new tradition"... a bring-your-own-food/different dish-each kind of thing.
consider that at least one of your relatives won't agree with you, on account of having conditioned tastebuds from growing up with her cooking (nobody cooks like my mum, and all that jazz)...and might even take offence on behalf of your gran.

and no..there's just no way you can say something like that without either upsetting or causing offence, however graciously she might take it.