PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Spell: Windblast

Lix Lorn
2010-10-01, 07:16 AM
I see a lack of wind based spells, so... yeah. XD Here we are.

Windblast

Evocation (Air)

Level: Druid 5, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 25ft+5ft/level
Effect: Line-shaped blast of severe wind emanating out from you to the extreme of the range
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude special
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a momentary blast of wind of great power. It causes effects as if all creatures within the radius were within a hurricane wind force. However, creatures of medium or smaller size, that would normally be blow away, are forced to the end of the spell's range. They take 1d8 bludgeoning damage for each 10ft travelled this way. If they strike an object before the full distance is achieved, both they and the object take 1d10 damage for each 10ft they would otherwise have travelled. If this damage breaks the object, they continue onwards for half the remaining distance, but take no further damage.
If they strike another creature, both take an additional 1d10 damage. If the creature struck is large, or makes it's fortitude save when the first creature did not, treat it as an object for the purposes of stopping the propelled creature, measuring the stopping point from where the creature that passed should stop.
Because of this potential bonus damage, it is best to affect closer creature first, although the line affects all in it's path, even if some are large and/or make their saves.

A successful fortitude save halves the effective range, and changes the damage by that.

Large or larger creatures take the same amount of damage as a creature of medium size would, but reduce the die size by one for each size category above medium they are.
A successful fortitude save negates this damage for large and larger creatures.

Example 1: An 11th level Sorcerer casts Windblast on a medium creature 10ft away. If they fail their saving throw, they are propelled until 80ft away, taking 7d8 damage. If they pass, they are propelled to 45ft away, taking only 3d8 damage.
Example 2: An 11th level Sorcerer casts Windblast on the same target, but at 50ft from them is a stone wall. He takes 4d8 damage for being moved 40ft, and then stops at the wall, taking 3d10 more damage.
If he passes his save, he stops 5ft short of the wall, so still only takes 3d8 damage.
Example 3: The same Sorcerer casts Windblast on a Large creature 10ft away. If he fails his save, he takes 7d6 damage (reduced to d6 as he is large), as he would move 70ft if he were medium or smaller. If he succeeds, he negates the damage.
Example 4: The same Sorcerer casts Windblast on a Medium Creature 10ft away. Another Medium creature is 10ft behind him. The first creature takes 1d6 damage, then 1d10, then 6d6. The second takes 1d10, then 6d6. If the first creature makes his save, he only takes 1d6+1d10+2d6. If the second creature makes his save, Then they are both propelled to the end of the line, the first taking 3d6+5d10 damage, and the second taking 2d6+5d10. (The first takes 1d6 for the initial 10ft, 1d10 for the contact, 2d6 for the next twenty foot, and then, as the second creature should stop here, another 4d10. The second creature does not travel the first 10ft, so takes 1d6 less damage.)
Example 5, for fun: A 19th level Sorcerer casts Windblast. 10ft away is a medium creature. 30ft behind him is a Colossal creature. 10ft behind him is another medium creature.
If they all fail their saves, then the first creature travels 30ft (3d6 damage), collides (1d10) and then fails to move 80ft. (8d10)
The second doesn't move, (8d2) but takes damage from the collision and failed movement of the first. (9d10)
The third merely travels 70ft, taking 7d6 damage.

Gale Strike

Evocation (Air)

Level: Druid 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10ft/level
Effect: Line-shaped blast of severe wind emanating out from you to the extreme of the range
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude special
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions as per Wind Blast, except as mentioned above and here: Large or smaller creatures are propelled backwards, rather than medium, and therefore creatures reduce the size of the damage die dealt by one for each size category they are above large, if any.
Also note the increased range.

Roc Ness
2010-10-01, 07:29 AM
This is definitely good battlefield control. :smallwink:
A question: Does the movement provoke AoOs? :smallconfused:

Also, are swarms insta-killed by this spell, like with other area-of-effect spells?

Lix Lorn
2010-10-01, 09:40 AM
I guess.
'Wall of Force behind you. Gale Strike.'
And no. It's instantaneous.

Uh. AoE spells don't insta kill, they do 1.5x damage.

Chambers
2010-10-01, 01:20 PM
Neat.

Is there a druid spell that causes a Tsunami? Cus there should be.

Cieyrin
2010-10-01, 01:46 PM
Neat.

I believe there is one in SpC, though I can't check right this moment.

Also, your spells are kinda confusing to adjudge, even with examples, and seem needlessly complicated, especially with more creatures and objects involved. I'd perhaps not vary by size in terms of damage and just give a save bonus/penalty based on size, perhaps just the standard size bonus/penalty that applied to combat maneuvers, so +/-4 per size difference from Medium. That may be a bit large, actually, so perhaps scaled back from that, +/- 1 or 2 may be more appropriate.

Roc Ness
2010-10-01, 07:32 PM
Neat.

Yup. Its in the SC. You'll know when you get to it, because there is a cool picture of a huge wave wiping out a settlement of evil creatures.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-02, 10:07 AM
I believe there is one in SpC, though I can't check right this moment.

Also, your spells are kinda confusing to adjudge, even with examples, and seem needlessly complicated, especially with more creatures and objects involved. I'd perhaps not vary by size in terms of damage and just give a save bonus/penalty based on size, perhaps just the standard size bonus/penalty that applied to combat maneuvers, so +/-4 per size difference from Medium. That may be a bit large, actually, so perhaps scaled back from that, +/- 1 or 2 may be more appropriate.
Well, it's cause wind effects don't normally effect creatures too large. What part exactly is too complex?

Nidogg
2010-10-02, 10:17 AM
because it needs to be combo'd with terrain I would lower the level slightly, maybey wind blast being 4th levl for sorc/wiz and 5/4th for druid. and gale strike being 7th. Also, without a reason (he's the bbeg, your massacaring a city ect) how many medium creatures will you be fighting at lvl 12? Not many.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-02, 10:55 AM
It doesn't NEED to be, it's just better if it is.

Cieyrin
2010-10-02, 01:37 PM
Well, it's cause wind effects don't normally effect creatures too large. What part exactly is too complex?

Primarily the damage calculation based on distance traveled, size and obstacles, as your examples all show that you have to determine damage individually by creature, which, as I've said, gets tedious. While complexity can be a welcome addition to a game, I think using these pair of spells would overly slow the game down, as you calculate distances traveled and what happens to who. Number crunching in-game isn't fun when there's lots of it, at least in my experience. I'm in favor of streamlining the spell to just flat damage dice based on distance traveled, unaltered by size, as what other spells out there change damage based on the target's size? If there's an obstacle in the way, just a flat damage boost and stopping movement at that point should be appropriate.

Is it as realistic as your version? No, by no means, but it's quicker and no player likes sitting around waiting for somebody to finish their turn, which these spells in their current form are bound to do.

And, btb, I only nitpick things I like. I'm just giving my observations so it can be better, 'k? :smalltongue:

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-02, 04:30 PM
I guess. But I like complex. XD

Cieyrin
2010-10-02, 04:35 PM
I guess. But I like complex. XD

Fair enough, I 'spose. I just don't think it's Good complexity. But whatevs, your homebrew, your rules.

dragonfan6490
2010-10-02, 10:17 PM
I really like these spells, I'm with you, there really aren't enough wind-based spells. Definitely going to steal them for my next Sorcerer...:smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 08:21 AM
Hooray! :)