PDA

View Full Version : Abjurant Champion progression

Whammydill
2010-10-01, 09:16 AM
I'm playing an Abjurant champion and was wondering whats the best way to finish it out.

Currently it is Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 4

After I finish off Abjurant champion should I take the rest out as sorcerer? Currently we use a houserule that you cannot have more prestige classes than base classes, so adding another is out.

Should I have taken Eldritch Knight instead of spellsword? Should I take spellsword all the way out? Right now he uses mithril chain shirt and buffs/blasts on his way into melee with his bastard-sword.

Open to suggestions.

The Rabbler
2010-10-01, 09:25 AM
If you really can't get any more PrCs, you might as well keep advancing spellsword. Sure, there are better options for a gish, but you'd be better off than starting up a whole new base class. Unless you wanted to dip something and grab another one. I think I remember Swiftblade (I think) being good for gishes.

Caliphbubba
2010-10-01, 09:26 AM
I'm playing an Abjurant champion and was wondering whats the best way to finish it out.

Currently it is Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 4

After I finish off Abjurant champion should I take the rest out as sorcerer? Currently we use a houserule that you cannot have more prestige classes than base classes, so adding another is out.

Should I have taken Eldritch Knight instead of spellsword? Should I take spellsword all the way out? Right now he uses mithril chain shirt and buffs/blasts on his way into melee with his bastard-sword.

Open to suggestions.

That house rule is a bummer. In that case I think EK would have been a better bet than Spellsword, cause spellsword loses way too many caster levels to remain effective in my opinion.

Maybe you can ask to just take more levels of Abjurant Champion? No new class features really but continue leveling as a +1 BAB and +1 caster level?

barring that I think more Sorcerer is the way to go.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-01, 09:28 AM
The normail way to finnish is woth sacred exorcist, but you said no more prg classes than your base clasess, so taking another level of say... fighter for the feat and then takin sacred exorcist might be the best way to finish. Though this way you won't be getting 9 level spells.

DragoonWraith
2010-10-01, 09:29 AM
Currently we use a houserule that you cannot have more prestige classes than base classes, so adding another is out.
Try to convince your DM that this is a really dumb rule?

Whammydill
2010-10-01, 09:33 AM
I may see if the DM will let me reclass the Spellsword into Eldritch Knight. Barring that, I would have to run it by him to keep taking the Abjurant Champion out past 5 since it only lists 5 in the book...we've never allowed such a thing, actually I don't think its ever come up so that's not exactly true.

If I don't do the Abjurant Champion run out or Sorcerer run out I'm going to miss 9th level spells arent I? Should that be a deal breaker?

Edit: @Dragoon, That will be my first order of business, this is actually the first time the rule has come up so it shouldn't be that hard I hope.

Ernir
2010-10-01, 09:38 AM
Yeah, with that houserule, you're either going to start losing BAB (more Sorcerer levels) or caster levels (more Spellsword).

You wouldn't have qualified for Eldritch Knight at the level you took Spellsword (unless you have something that raises your effective spell level), so switching it out retroactively is sketchy at best.

Yes, losing 9th level slots is considered a deal-breaker for any Gish build. If you expect the campaign to go to 18+, don't lose any more CLs, just take more Sorcerer.

tyckspoon
2010-10-01, 09:44 AM
From a strict optimization viewpoint Sorcerer is your best option out of a pretty poor set. Personally, I'd go Spellsword to 5 and just not worry about not having 9ths; that'll get you the channel ability, enough Ignore ASF to wear a mithral breastplate straight up, and being just 5% away from a mithral fullplate, which at that level could easily be covered with an affordable WBL expenditure on the Twilight property/thistledown padding/special crafting technique.

If you're not especially concerned about wearing armor, switching Spellsword to Eldritch Knight is the better option. It does make your entry path a little rougher, however, as both Eldritch Knight and Abjurant Champion would require more base Sorcerer levels to enter thanks to needing 3rd level spells and BAB +5 respectively. You'd be looking at Pal 2/Sorc 6/Ab. Champ 3, with Eldritch Knight to begin after you finish Champion.

Edit: Also what Dragoon said. Gish and theurge-type builds just don't work under PrC restrictions.

UserClone
2010-10-01, 12:35 PM
If you can get him to let you retrain Spellsword, go Knight Phantom. For my money, it's strictly better than EK. More prereqs though, including a precious spell known spent on phantom steed (which is an awesome level 3 spell anyway, IMO) and ranks in Ride.

PId6
2010-10-01, 01:29 PM
More sorcerer seems the best option out of all of them. You'll lose your 4th iterative attack, but that's much better than losing 9th level spells. Besides, with sorcerer's high Cha, you might even be able to put some points in UMD and grab yourself a Wand of Divine Power at high levels.