PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls: Oblivion!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Samiam303
2006-03-24, 06:49 PM
I just got Oblivion today, it's installing as I type this. :)

I'm praying my PC will be able to handle it... Anyone else got this one yet?

EDIT: And of course, my 2 Ghz processor just can't handle it... Just what I get for being cheap... ;) ::) :'(

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2006-03-24, 07:44 PM
Yes I do!

I have been telling people, "It's the Lord of the Rings movie for my computer!" IT's the best description I had. The music gave me chills alone.

However, I'm a fan of Morrowind and this genre. I know people who hated Morrowind. If you're one of these, Oblivion isn't for you.

For the rest of us, it's worth playing, even if your computer limps through.

Samiam303
2006-03-24, 08:10 PM
Well, mine was limping to the point where I couldn't move the mouse. ::) :)

Beleriphon
2006-03-24, 08:52 PM
I don't know I'm running at the highest setting using a 2.2 GHz 64 bit Atholon 3200+ and an NVidia PCIx 6600GT and 1GB of RAM. Works fine for me, it does slow down a little when there a bunch of stuff going on, but its fine. I've managed to make it Kvatch and the first Oblivion gate, its pretty hardcore.

valadil
2006-03-24, 09:10 PM
I'm gonna try to hold off until the summer. The grad program I'm in flunks you for anything less than a B, so Oblivion probably isn't the best idea.

Also I was kinda depressed to see that my video card was at the bottom of their list of supported cards. A GeForce FX 5950 is not that bad a card! I was hoping to wait until the 8000 series before upgrading.

Dhavaer
2006-03-24, 10:20 PM
I wants it, precious.

I'm going to find out exactly what the specs on my computer are first.
And weirdly enough, I do this with Heroes of Might and Magic.

I seem to have 2.2 GHz and 254 of RAM. Can any tell me the requirements for it?

AmoDman
2006-03-24, 10:29 PM
I wants it bad, but I'll wait at least a year (:() until I might be able to afford a 360 (assuming it drops in price). It's not really worth it to spend a crapload on a new computer (though I need one, I'm poor damnit!) when I can just get a nice 360 which blows my computer away to play games for me, lol. Besides, I actually like the gamepad for Elder Scrolls rather than mouse and keyboard (though I bet they'll have a way to convert soon enough here, if not already...).

Samiam303
2006-03-24, 10:50 PM
I wants it, precious.

Here's a scan of the system reqs. Something tells me that you fail slightly in the RAM department... ;) ::)
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6264/reqs4wb.png

Dhavaer
2006-03-24, 11:18 PM
Damn. I really wanted Oblivion, too.

Miles Invictus
2006-03-25, 12:50 AM
It's not *that* bad. As long as your motherboard uses 184-pin memory (and most do), you can get a gig for around $60-70.

AmoDman
2006-03-25, 01:57 AM
I wants it, precious.

Ummm, what's your video card? Does that 254 mean a couple mb is just bad on your 256 or does it mean that 2mb is being used for, *sucks in breath*, on-board video? :-[

Phelix314
2006-03-25, 02:02 AM
I have been waiting for Oblivion to come out since I knew about it in January and now that it is here I can't find the time/money to go get it! Maybe I will look through the couch for loose change and go get it this weekend. :P

I have been telling people, "It's the Lord of the Rings movie for my computer!" IT's the best description I had. The music gave me chills alone.

I don’t think I am satisfied with that description. Is the game just like the preview videos on the elderscrolls website? If so I don’t know where they came up with those minimum system requirements. I would think you need a little more power.

valadil
2006-03-25, 02:02 AM
Any mobo with a socket for a 2.2ghz proc is gonna have 184-pin memory, unless its a laptop. In which case I really hope the existing video card is adequate.

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 02:17 AM
Ummm, what's your video card? Does that 254 mean a couple mb is just bad on your 256 or does it mean that 2mb is being used for, *sucks in breath*, on-board video? :-[

Heroes doesn't tell me this. I shall look elsewhere. And no, it's not a laptop.

No, I can't seem to find out what video card I have. I don't believe I have onboard video.

Jibar
2006-03-25, 02:18 AM
I will buy Oblivion once I've got past damn level 4 on Morrowind!

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 02:20 AM
That's the second person I've heard of who can't get past level 4. Level 4 was, I think, the level when I suddenly accerated and ended up at level 20 something three hours later.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-25, 02:45 AM
EDIT: And of course, my 2 Ghz processor just can't handle it... Just what I get for being cheap... ;) ::) :'(
Just how bad is it? have you lowered the setting? Mine ran like ass on the recommended settings, so I had to turn everything WAY down.

Jibar
2006-03-25, 05:09 AM
That's the second person I've heard of who can't get past level 4. Level 4 was, I think, the level when I suddenly accerated and ended up at level 20 something three hours later.

I have no idea how I even made it to level 4!
I have one character who somehow became level four, all I did was fight a few rats and take down a super powerful summoner chap! Now, no other character can get to level 4! Just him!

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 05:30 AM
What skills are you using? It takes a lot more for a warrior-type to level than a mage.

Jibar
2006-03-25, 06:35 AM
I usually play some sort of magic character. I just hate the fact that this one character reaches level 4 when none of my others even reach 2.

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 06:42 AM
Considering how easy it is to level in Morrowind, I have a hard time imagining what you're doing. What skills have you picked? What do you spend your time in the game doing?

Jibar
2006-03-25, 07:17 AM
Considering how easy it is to level in Morrowind, I have a hard time imagining what you're doing. What skills have you picked? What do you spend your time in the game doing?

My skills are basically verything magical. I spend most my time exploring the cities, and running any errands people have.
I have no idea what the wilderness even looks like.

Suddenly it makes a lot of sense.

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 07:29 AM
Considering the easiest way to level is to stand in a corner and cast the weakest spell you have, (I recommend having a book by the computer, this is very boring) it probably won't take you long to level.

My skills are generally Athletics, Enchantment, Destruction, Restoration, Alteration, Mysticism, Mercantile, Short sword, Block and Light Armour.
I generally complete a few quests and frequently become a moderate ranked member of the Mage Guild before meeting Caius.

The most powerful character I ever created got to something like level 63.

Jibar
2006-03-25, 08:11 AM
The most powerful character I ever created got to something like level 63.

That's damn good, considering the max (without resorting to the cheats and glitches) is 75.

And it's not my fault everything is so big and scary... I mean, Nix Hounds and Cloud Runners...and then Ogrims, and Daedra...*shudder*

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 08:16 AM
Nix hounds aren't scary, even at level 1. They're damn ugly, but not really powerful. One charged whack from a short sword does them in for me, and this is with a mage-type.

Jibar
2006-03-25, 08:21 AM
Nix hounds aren't scary, even at level 1. They're damn ugly, but not really powerful. One charged whack from a short sword does them in for me, and this is with a mage-type.

:P
Is all I have to say.

My first encounter with one was made up of "Aaah, what the, holy crap, run away, no, stay, run!"
Eventually I ended up sitting on top of a rock trying to hit it with crossbow bolts.
I did poorly. Eventually I threw a fireball or 8 at it and won.

Every fight in that game makes me feel like I'm being me.

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 08:26 AM
With the exception of missile weapons, which was terrible at aiming for ages, until I finally worked it out and started 1HKOing bull netches with my 6th level wood elf, I found combat in Morrowind very easy. I recommend enchanting a ring or other item with a minor Destruction spell, like 5 Frost damage on Target.
Steal the soulstones from Galbedir (sp?) and you can even pay her to make it for you. Inexpensive and devastating.

CommanderFalken
2006-03-25, 11:17 AM
I have Morrowind, and have one question about Oblivion.

"Is the combat system changed?"

Please, god, say yes.

I liked the setting of Morrowind, and the storyline and versitality and stuff, bet I couldn't play it. I couldn't get over the crappy combt. The attacks have got to be the lamest things I'vve ever seen. Install some combat system like, say, Mount & Blade, and then we'll talk.

AmoDman
2006-03-25, 12:34 PM

Please, god, say yes.

I liked the setting of Morrowind, and the storyline and versitality and stuff, bet I couldn't play it. I couldn't get over the crappy combt. The attacks have got to be the lamest things I'vve ever seen. Install some combat system like, say, Mount & Blade, and then we'll talk.

Read the previews :P. Most of the talk about this. They added parries and such or something.

Beleriphon
2006-03-25, 01:41 PM
I don’t think I am satisfied with that description. Is the game just like the preview videos on the elderscrolls website? If so I don’t know where they came up with those minimum system requirements. I would think you need a little more power.

The website videos are one the XBox 360 version with a really nice HD TV, my 17" LCD monitor produces better looking graphics for most of the game, the only way it could look any better is if I cranked up the Antialiasing, which I can't because it craps out so I keep them turned off.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-25, 04:01 PM

Please, god, say yes.

Instead of your weapon level determining how often you hit, it now determines how much damage you do. Your levels in Block/Armor determine how effective they are at reducing damage (and blocking is active instead of passive now)

so yes, they fixed combat

Beleriphon
2006-03-25, 05:48 PM
Yeah combat is really good now, thus you swing and if you as the player get close enough can hit. As mentioned the skills determine damange and knock back effects, and the active blocking is terrifc, I go in blocking take a bunch of hits and then retaliate when the enemy fatigue is low.

Samiam303
2006-03-25, 06:00 PM
Just how bad is it? have you lowered the setting? Mine ran like ass on the recommended settings, so I had to turn everything WAY down.
The RECCOMENDED SETTINGS are as low as they get... :-[ :P

U2QueenBee
2006-03-25, 10:12 PM
I have to turn my settings all the way down at certain parts (starting the Thieves Guild quest? OMG etc) but other times I can up the view distance a bit (which is good, because frankly not being able to see those vistas is like missing half the game. I'm level 8 at the moment, having closed 2 of the rather nasty gates, and digging it. Totally agree about the 'LOTR' on the computer by the way - as soon as I saw those ruins I was like, 'It's Weathertop! And the place where Boromir goes postal that I can't remember the name of right now cause it's 3 am!"

And no annoying pterodactyl things from Morrowind, or ash storms, so it's all good.

Dhavaer
2006-03-25, 10:20 PM
At least the Cliff Racers had one redeeming feature: feathers. Cliff Racer feathers were, IIRC, worth 20 drakes and weighed only 0.1 weight units.

Mas_Sinoda
2006-03-26, 12:03 AM
Well, I've been playing this all week, and it's one of the best games I have. I only have an X700, but it still plays buetifully. I'm currently doing the Dark Brotherhood missions... And I'm a level 8 pirate-ninja. I'll worry about the pirate part later. But yeah, this game pwns. Am I the only one that was afraid of doing the main quests after the first time you go to hell?

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-26, 12:37 AM
Well, I've been playing this all week, and it's one of the best games I have. I only have an X700, but it still plays buetifully. I'm currently doing the Dark Brotherhood missions... And I'm a level 8 pirate-ninja. I'll worry about the pirate part later. But yeah, this game pwns. Am I the only one that was afraid of doing the main quests after the first time you go to hell?
It's Oblivion, not hell, and it only gets worse as you get higher leveled. I regularly get to face creatures that can easily kill me if I'm not careful/lucky with my combat.

either way, <3 my lv. 19 Argonian Adventurer.
*wanders off to upload some screenshots*

The best shot of my guy you can get without fighting with the hypersensitive Vanity mode (http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5885/oblivion20060325223813154fv.png)
His cute little face (http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1299/oblivion20060325224049752ub.png)
The List of Random Statistical TidbitsTM (http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8504/oblvstats2pi.png)

sazzer
2006-03-26, 05:04 AM
I love my PC. Mine runs on almost max settings (Self shadowing and Anti-Aliasing turned off, everything else turned to max, including resolution of 1280x960) and it flies :)

*goes back to playing*

team56th
2006-03-26, 10:59 AM
All right. I'm playing TES4, and all I can say about this game is that this game is really crazy! Graphic is good even on low setting and gameplay is superbly polished. Especially some of the new aspects like blocking(yeah, there was 'blocking' in morrowind but it is now totally different), riding a horse, lockpicking, and so on. Also OST totally rocks :) So, if you want to live a normal life, you must not play this game, or you will ruin your life with this one...

AmoDman
2006-03-26, 12:16 PM
At least the Cliff Racers had one redeeming feature: feathers. Cliff Racer feathers were, IIRC, worth 20 drakes and weighed only 0.1 weight units.

*Glances at Morrowind Gold counter going off the screen* Ya, about that...see, there's this thing called 'the talking mudcrab...' ;).

Jibar
2006-03-26, 12:54 PM
*Glances at Morrowind Gold counter going off the screen* Ya, about that...see, there's this thing called 'the talking mudcrab...' ;).

I'm guessing you're one of the ones who didn't kill it on sight then.
And my gold count can get real big as well. See, there's this little thing called player->additem...

Scion_of_the_Light
2006-03-26, 03:53 PM
Phew. You just download the mod for Zed. He was 1,000,000 gold, so you can sell all of your daedric stuff to him. I became a millionaire quite quickly, and without any cheating.

Crazy Owl
2006-03-26, 04:40 PM
Got oblivion on friday, best game i have ever played, i love the dark brotherhood quests until you get to the point where you get money for talking to a statue then it got bit annoying.

In a way isnt getting mod for i guy with a ton of money cheating. 8)

Goumindong
2006-03-26, 06:51 PM
I think the best way to describe Oblivion is simple.

It is like morrowind, with a clean interface, infinite power tweaks removed(or harder to find), a better power level system, better combat, a clean skill palate, in a beautiful world with tons to do.

So far, after lots of playing, i can suscintly say i have only two gripes.

1. I cannot delete old spells from my spellbook.

2. Cant reconfigure the hot-key bar keys

And I remembered another.

3. Lack of a key ring.

Seriously, the only problems this game has.

Gralamin
2006-03-26, 10:04 PM
oh yes The key Rings from arcanum were very sweet.

I love this game! and can anyone tell me what antianialising (which seems to screw up anyone) is supposed to do?

Dhavaer
2006-03-26, 10:07 PM
Antialiasing makes thing less 'fuzzy' I think. Sharper image.

Gralamin
2006-03-26, 10:20 PM
huh so why does that completey lag my computer during battle?

A few more things I like: all the voices!!
Everyone has a voice it is so cool!
Also the Emperor is played by Patrick Steward! I'm A TREKY AND THIS MAKES ME HAPPY!

Hey why am I on these forums and not on Oblivion? oh right my brother is using it.... :P:P:P:P

Goumindong
2006-03-26, 11:50 PM
huh so why does that completey lag my computer during battle?

Anti-Aliasing blends colors essentialy.

Where there is a line that is not perfeclt straight up and down, or side to side, there will be areas where you can see where the line breaks from one pixel to the next(usualy called "Jaggies"). What AA does is takes the pixels on and surrounding the lines and blends them togother so that your eyes see a better line.

This is a really good article on the subject(with photo's) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

Now, this takes up a significant amount of power for most cards due to the algorythm used to calculate what needs to be done. Though newer cards are better at it, in high fill-rate situations(lots of movement on screen, like a battle) it is going to take more umph and slow your system down.

So basically, it makes the game look better(especialy the oblivion gates and swords, and anything thin really), but makes it run worse.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-27, 02:39 AM
1. I cannot delete old spells from my spellbook.

2. Cant reconfigure the hot-key bar keys

And I remembered another.

3. Lack of a key ring.
1. Im assuming youve tested, but does Shift+click allow for deletion? I havent bothered with spells enough to care
2. As an FPS junkie, I like 'em where they are, but I can see where reconfiguring would be nice
3. Yeah, a keyring would be nice, but its not like keys have a weight value, its just item spam in your list.

In other news, I was vaguely creeped out to discover that the city where I chose to buy a house in turned out to also be the city with the Sanctuary for a certain organization.

Also, is it just me or does the entire landscape end up utterly speckled with Oblivion gates? I mean, there was a gate right next to an inn in the middle of the wilderness, and I passed by about 3 on the way to a quest destination, which was also out in the wilderness. It's gonna be a pain closing them all. :-/

Arcanar
2006-03-27, 02:51 AM
Had an Oblivion marathon this weekend. I love the quests, combat and scenery. What I don't love, however, are the following wee little problems:

1) It's terribly slow to buy or sell anything - click+confirm - repeat. I'd really like to have a combination which would enable me to sell everything I click on, without confirming.

2) Spell management - dreadful. It's bloody difficult to find anything.

3) Character advancement - should you happen to put some fast-advancing non-combat skills as your main skills, you're screwed... In fact, you want to spend as much time on low levels as possible, simply to get the gear you NEED to survive on higher levels.

--------------

sazzer
2006-03-27, 06:55 AM
The shopping I much prefered in Morrowind to Oblivion - the exchanging goods for goods and ease of haggling. I also prefered the Morrowind menu system, where pressing the menu button brought up the map, inventory and spells list all on the same screen instead of having to flick through the different pages.

On saying that though, so far that's all of the complaints I've had with the game. 2 complaints out of a game of this scale is damn good going I'd say :)

waffle
2006-03-27, 04:41 PM
For those having trouble running the game, or wondering if their machine can take it, look through the official forums here (http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showforum=23). There has been a lot of activity and a number of very interesting tweaks discovered to accelerate frame rate.

So far, I've seen most common processor and video card combinations explored, along with recommendations on tweaks to drivers, ini files and other alterations to get the game playable. By modifying the ini file, some people have managed to reduce the visuals of the game back to Morrowind levels. Consequently, if a machine could handle Morrowind, it can be made to handle Oblivion, but the visuals do suffer.

The most interesting tweak is for GeForce users. Downloading and running a program called CoolBits allows access to additional settings for GeForce cards. Alteringing one setting concering Render Ahead from 3 to 0 results in, and I'm not kidding here, a 20 fps improvement in these cards. Doing this and dropping textures from high to medium gave me a solid 35 fps on my GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E.

Also, the latest drivers from NVidia (84.25, currently in beta) are reported to give as much as a 5 fps boost. I have not tried this, as the A64 version is not yet available.

For those with machines considerably more powerful for the XBox, forum members have located settings to increase the visual fidelity, eliminating the distant blurred landscape for more precisely rendered settings.

Most threads discussing these alterations come with detailed instructions and screen shots. And now that site traffic has dropped from insane to heavy, the forum search features are working.

For those with the game, the best place to start is this settings guide (http://ideveloper.pandora-studios.com/files/OblivionSettingsGuide.txt). This is the culmination of the first week's worth of research and contains most of the useful tweaks, both for low and high end machines. Play around and see what's best for you.

For those interested, my computer:
Processor: A64 3200+
Memory: 512 MB PC 3200
Video: GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E

Game:
1024x768
Anti aliasing x2
Bloom (don't like HDR)
Medium textures
All outdoor sliders to max

Goumindong
2006-03-27, 05:43 PM
Someone asked about the oblivion gates.

Yes, they all close when you finish the main storyline. You may want to hold off on completing it until you close as many as you like though, those sigil stones are flat out awesome.

Corvus
2006-03-27, 07:48 PM
Got the game and it is fun. Lots of improvements over Morrowind (combat is a big one.)

However there are a few flaws and steps backwards.

The inventory/character sheets. Obviously designed for a console game and terribly cluncky and hard to navigate. Morrowind did it better.

Picking up/selecting/selling items. In Morrowind you could just shift-click and it would select the entire stack. Step backwards having to slect the number each time and confirm sale each and every time.

Not enough hotkeys. Only 8, which hardly takes advantage of a PCs larger number of keys (Another console-centric design flaw)

Scaling. A good idea, but seriously flawed. What is the point of exploring dungeons if every single one is scaled to your level, the treasure is scaled to your level and repopulate in a few days? One dunegon will be pretty much the same as the next.

Scaling. Did I already mention that? Given all NPCs/monster scale to your level AND when they level they concentrate on combat skills, it forces you to have to level your combat skills at the expensive of everything else. You have to powergame to keep up. Freeform play is seriously curtailed as you can not play a non-combat character and you are forced into a combat-skill arms race to have any chance of playing. This is one game where leveling makes it HARDER to do things, not easier.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-27, 11:24 PM
Just went from having never even visited the Arena to Grand Champion of said Arena.

I also have a chance to become a vampire, but that can wait until I reach the genocide point of gameplay.

Samiam303
2006-03-28, 12:37 AM
For those having trouble running the game, or wondering if their machine can take it, look through the official forums here (http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showforum=23). There has been a lot of activity and a number of very interesting tweaks discovered to accelerate frame rate.

So far, I've seen most common processor and video card combinations explored, along with recommendations on tweaks to drivers, ini files and other alterations to get the game playable. By modifying the ini file, some people have managed to reduce the visuals of the game back to Morrowind levels. Consequently, if a machine could handle Morrowind, it can be made to handle Oblivion, but the visuals do suffer.

The most interesting tweak is for GeForce users. Downloading and running a program called CoolBits allows access to additional settings for GeForce cards. Alteringing one setting concering Render Ahead from 3 to 0 results in, and I'm not kidding here, a 20 fps improvement in these cards. Doing this and dropping textures from high to medium gave me a solid 35 fps on my GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E.

Also, the latest drivers from NVidia (84.25, currently in beta) are reported to give as much as a 5 fps boost. I have not tried this, as the A64 version is not yet available.

For those with machines considerably more powerful for the XBox, forum members have located settings to increase the visual fidelity, eliminating the distant blurred landscape for more precisely rendered settings.

Most threads discussing these alterations come with detailed instructions and screen shots. And now that site traffic has dropped from insane to heavy, the forum search features are working.

For those with the game, the best place to start is this settings guide (http://ideveloper.pandora-studios.com/files/OblivionSettingsGuide.txt). This is the culmination of the first week's worth of research and contains most of the useful tweaks, both for low and high end machines. Play around and see what's best for you.

For those interested, my computer:
Processor: A64 3200+
Memory: 512 MB PC 3200
Video: GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E

Game:
1024x768
Anti aliasing x2
Bloom (don't like HDR)
Medium textures
All outdoor sliders to max

Holy damn, you made it work! :D Thanks a TON for that link! ;D

Gralamin
2006-03-28, 02:05 AM
Question about houses: is there anyways to get serveants for your house? I mean I have one freaking big hous that costed me 25k...

Beleriphon
2006-03-28, 03:16 AM
Question about houses: is there anyways to get serveants for your house? I mean I have one freaking big hous that costed me 25k...

Nope, its basically a place to store all that extra stuff, and a free place to sleep.

BTW, has anybody done the Thieves Guild quests? And if you have how many lock picks did you go through? Hot damn those are easy to break.

Arcanar
2006-03-28, 06:54 AM
Ordinary lockpicks truly break quickly. It is possible, however, to get an unbreakable lockpick in the game. I know - I got one...:) Not going to spoil it for you, though.

Daavi_Tues
2006-03-28, 08:52 AM
If your computer can't handle it...

*drums*

Buy a 360! :)

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-28, 09:05 AM
If your computer can't handle it...

*drums*

Buy a 360! :)

*Blows Daavi away with a fireball* Bloody consoles >_>

Sid_Arthur
2006-03-28, 10:48 AM
If you want a non-combat character, I'd recommend just fiddling with the difficulty. Just a few clicks toward the easy end of the spectrum will really help people struggling with combat, and setting it all the way to the left will make most things die in one or two hits (just to give you an idea of the scaling).

Tenjac
2006-03-28, 12:26 PM
Started playing last night. Pretty good. Unfortunately I've got too much programming to get done to really sit down and play it like I should :P

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-28, 02:27 PM
Well, if you become Grand Champion of the Arena, you can always take your adoring fan to the place, tell him to wait right here, and pretend its a servant. I left mine at Borba's Goods. <_<

waffle
2006-03-28, 03:56 PM
Holy damn, you made it work! :D Thanks a TON for that link! ;D

Glad to hear it.

You can tweak the heck out of this game to get the best balance between framerate and graphics. But it seems so as not to cheese the console players off too much, a lot of these controls aren't mentioned. I'm guessing, given how easy it was to figure them out, they expected the modders and tweakers to find them quickly.

Oh, and as for the complaints about the interface, those have been fixed for the PC already. Take a look at this mod (http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=1825). 15 items now displayed on the inventory. Screenshots here (http://www.beider.org/UIMods/screens/).

AmoDman
2006-03-28, 04:27 PM
Nope, its basically a place to store all that extra stuff, and a free place to sleep.

WHAT?! There was plenty of cheap slave lab...I mean hired man and woman servants in Morrowind! Bah, my house (well, mansion, rather...) was almost like a small village of its own. It was awsome...

Rhaego
2006-03-29, 01:26 PM
So...for those of you that can play this game... what race/class/sign is everyone playing? I'm playing what I believe to be a very poor combo, a Breton/Bard/Lady, but I am not married to this character - I'm new to the Elder Scrolls world and I just want to be able to do as much as I can - I also like having a character with a strength in speechcraft.

Speaking of which, has anyone mastered the speechcraft minigame? I tried playing for awhile and I think I was doing well, but then I quit suddenly and the NPC was p1ssed!!!

My general feeling of the game so far is that it is *SO PRETTY* but I haven't quite scratched the surface when it comes to the true content of the game. Hopefully it holds up, otherwise I fear the gaming community will view this as an updated Morrowind: pretty package but lacking substance.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-29, 01:38 PM
So...for those of you that can play this game... what race/class/sign is everyone playing?
Argonian/Custom/Warrior
cant remember spec or stats, Major skills:
Armorer
Block
Blade
Heavy Armor
Destruction
Restoration
Security

As for the speechcraft game, its easy as long as you are able to clearly see the face of the person you speak to.

Beleriphon
2006-03-29, 01:46 PM
As for the speechcraft game, its easy as long as you are able to clearly see the face of the person you speak to.

It is, but if you get really high speechcraft you have the optin to spin the wheel so its always the most favourable, least impacting for you. So all it really does is make the game much easier.

LordDeacon
2006-03-29, 05:57 PM
i dont know much about speachcraft, because i am too busy wishing i could talk more trash, but i love that game. Sit down at noon, stand up at 10 pm, like i had just taken a leak. the graphics are amazing, but i have a 360, so make life easier...

All i can say is, i hate cliffracers, and i havent seen one yet in Oblivion, automatically a great sequel (except that it isnt really a sequel since it is elder scrolls 4)

speaking of which has anyone ever played Arena or D-Fall, my 2 favorite old school pc games?

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-29, 06:02 PM
I'm playing a breton, custom class:

Magic - Intelligence & Willpower

Alteration - Restoration - Destruction - Mysticism - Illusion - Conjuration - Merchantile

During the game, I rely heavily on combat skills. The net result is that I get massive stat boosts every time I lvl up :)

And it's not hard to play combat this way. I actually made it to arena Hero (just one more fight till champion) without doing anything special.

Only one thing's got me stumped now... I've accidentally become a vampire... I'm kinda at a loss for what to do :-/
Any tips anyone?

Gralamin
2006-03-29, 07:08 PM
I'm playing a Breton Mage, with the sign as a Mage. Guess which guild I'm in. :P

are you sure you can't get serveants? in one of my houeses (either cost 25k or 20 k) it has a room called serveant quarters

Sophistemon
2006-03-29, 08:09 PM
I ne-e-e-ed this game...

Hungerdog
2006-03-29, 08:54 PM
I don't NEED it , but I do WANT it.

My buddy just showed me it on his rig, it is flat out amazing looking. I loved Elder Scrolls 3, and I want this one pretty bad.

Life just handed me a great reason (read excuse) to go out and get me a shiny new computer system. Thank you, life! Ain't life grand?

;D

Sophistemon
2006-03-29, 08:56 PM
... Life sucks for me at the moment, as I am destitute. I needs me some money!

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2006-03-30, 12:59 PM
I have gotten into some nasty fights so far that I haven't found a way out. Best thing I can do for those is to back up, move on and try another day. Right now I need some more powerful spells in which to hurt things and heal myself.

A few things missing I liked in Morrowind:

1) Trade ease. The buy/sell then confirm gets old, especially when you have a large bag o' goodies to empty. In Morrowind, you could shift click and sell a stack. If you changed your mind, you could click on the trader's window and get your stuff back for the amount you sold it. Nothing was undoable until you ended the trade.

2) Persuasion. The mini-game makes no sense game wise. I like the addition of joke, and that some things are better received than others, but the mini-game makes you go through them all. I preferred in Morrowind where you could bribe or butter someone up without doing all the rest.

3) Loss of some skills, class changes. Axes are a "blunt weapon" now. There's no Unarmored skill. One of my favorite classes in Morrowind was Nightblade, a magic user with stealth. Oblivion: that's a magic user in light armor. In some cases, the changes don't mesh well with what I remembered. It's more a personal preference, however, and easily remedied by making a custom class.

However, a lack of Cliff Racers is wonderful.

Overall, I love the story. I'm enjoying the game and if something is proving too difficult, I step away and do something else, then try that thing again later. There's enough to do in this game to keep me entertained for a while.

Samiam303
2006-03-30, 01:35 PM
Having never played Morrowind, I was wondering if someone could fill me in as to what cliff racers are? :) ::)

WampaX
2006-03-30, 01:37 PM
Having never played Morrowind, I was wondering if someone could fill me in as to what cliff racers are? :) ::)

Voila (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Racers)!

Jibar
2006-03-30, 02:06 PM
If something has earned it's own wikipedia entry, you know it's either very important or very annoying.

Samiam303
2006-03-30, 02:19 PM
Hah, yeah, that sounds just minorly hellish. ;)

Thistle
2006-03-30, 05:54 PM
This game is addicting. There is so much to do.

One thing though. Is there some way to improve unarmed damage by way of magic items? You can't very well enchant your fists. Or can you? :o

AmoDman
2006-03-30, 06:57 PM

Imagine walking along all peace-ful and mindung your own business-like, and then all of a sudden you get smacked in the back of the head and a hear the most annoying cacohpany of CAW-CAW CAW-CAW! By the time you turn around, there's 5 annoying little freakin' Cliff Racets from out of NOWHERE! No, imagine this happens every 5 minutes...

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-30, 08:49 PM
This game is addicting. There is so much to do.

One thing though. Is there some way to improve unarmed damage by way of magic items? You can't very well enchant your fists. Or can you? :o
Fortify Hand-to-Hand.
Pick up a Fortify [skill] spell, gain access to the Arcane University, bring filled soulgems. Go to town on the Altar of Enchanting. Haven't tried making anything yet, so I don't know how easy/hard/different it is.

:edit: Woo! got another piece to add to my Glass Collection.
Found: 1 Glass Dagger Replica. Rated for 1 damage at max blade skill

Just need a War Axe, Shortsword, and Helmet, and ive got the full set, plus the replica dagger.

still need a daedric helmet to finish that collection, its like helmets dont exist or something. The only ones I've seen were in the Arena, and they have no-looting rules there. :-/

Crazy Owl
2006-03-31, 03:25 PM
I know how you feel, i had a full set of Daedric + enchanted Daidric boots and gloves with
*drum roll*
an iron helmet, i was too lazy too buy a better one and i hadnt killed anyone with a better helmet.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-31, 05:05 PM
It took a pair of murders in a crowded tavern and 1040 gold in fines, but I've got my Daedric and Glass helmets now.

Now I just need a glass war axe and shortsword, and my collections will be complete

Sophistemon
2006-04-01, 11:43 PM
Okay, I bought the game but I'm having trouble installing it. I mean, it says that it's installed but when I go to play it, it says that I'm missing a d3dx9_27.dll file. So I try uninstalling the game to try again and it won't let me. I don't know if it matters but last night I tried to install Sodipodi following the tutorial posted in one of the avatar threads, which involved moving some files around. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but neither Sodipodi nor Oblivion is working. I am frustrated. Any ideas on what I should do?

Edit:
Okay, sorry. False alarm. I went and manually deleted the Oblivion files and then I reinstalled and viola! Problem solved. But my brother (you may or may not know him as Kegger on the boards) is having a problem of his own: his computer refuses to acknowledge that he even has the CD in there. It won't install. We think that it might be defective but hey, if you can help him out, I'd appreciate it. I know that he will too. Ciao.

Edit Part Deus:
Here's something weird; we just put his disk in my computer and the game ran fine, and then we put mine in his and nothing happened. Any idea what this means? Because I don't. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Samiam303
2006-04-02, 12:18 AM
My brother had the EXACT same problem with a copy of D&D: Dragonshard. My PC reads it fine, and our other box won't acknowledge the disk. No idea what causes it though... sorry. :-/ Any information on specs? I think it's hardware related...

Phelix314
2006-04-02, 12:22 AM
Did you both get the collector's edition DVD or the regular CD-rom version? How old is your brother's cd-rom?

Rand
2006-04-02, 12:29 AM
My comp. is pretty much state of the art in according to the games recommended specs. I mean i far surpase them but it just doesn't seem to see the disk.

Its like it is seeing a blank disk when i put it in. My comp acts like its trying to read it then nothing happens.

Samiam303
2006-04-02, 01:09 AM
Yeah... but that doesn't answer the question. What are the specs?? >:(

Sophistemon
2006-04-02, 01:39 AM
Sorry, they're:

Recommended:
* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:
* Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse

Hope this helps.

Samiam303
2006-04-02, 01:42 AM
That's the specs off the box... I'm asking about HIS COMPUTER... ;) ::) :P

Sophistemon
2006-04-02, 02:02 AM
Ehrm, that question makes more sense. I don'y know his exact specs, but I'll ask him.

Samiam303
2006-04-02, 02:51 AM
Alright, sorry if I seem really irritated, it's becuase I really should be asleep right now. ;) ::)

Sophistemon
2006-04-02, 03:03 AM
Shouldn't we all? He's asleep as it is, so I can't ask him. I'd get the info tomorrow but we'll probably just return it and get him another one. It's weird, though. As I said before his disk worked on my computer, my disk worked on my computer, but neither disk worked on his.

Also, I'm feeling guilty about playing the game (which rocks) while he's in the next room, not playing the game. Good thing he isn't on the boards often, eh?

Rand
2006-04-02, 03:33 AM
Okay here are my specs:
256 gh video card(this is double the recommended)
1512 ram
Intel pentium 4 processor
Mouse & Keyboard
and about 6.5 gb of free space if not more

So there that is. Now can anyone tell me why the darn thing is not working? Cause i tried the disk on my Bothers computer and it worked so why in the dickens doesn't it work on mine?

Sophistemon
2006-04-02, 03:42 AM
That is what we're trying to find out. Be patient.

EDIT
Did you just use the word 'dickens'? You must be really, really tired.

Samiam303
2006-04-02, 01:19 PM
Allrighty... any info on the Speeds/Brand/Type of CD Drive you have? Also, do you have the DVD-ROM version of the game?

Goumindong
2006-04-02, 02:41 PM
[Beware, long post, answering many questions, and bringing up new issues]

Okay here are my specs:
256 gh video card(this is double the recommended)
1512 ram
Intel pentium 4 processor
Mouse & Keyboard
and about 6.5 gb of free space if not more

So there that is. Now can anyone tell me why the darn thing is not working? Cause i tried the disk on my Bothers computer and it worked so why in the dickens doesn't it work on mine?

What type of DvD Rom do you have? More specifically, how old is it.

There have been, in the past, a couple DvD-rom drives that will not read certian or even ALL DvD's(I know, i had one :( had to upgrade). This is what is probably causing your error, you can buy from Best Buy a fine DvD player for 45 dollars, and probably cheaper from newegg. That was my solution.

So...for those of you that can play this game... what race/class/sign is everyone playing? I'm playing what I believe to be a very poor combo, a Breton/Bard/Lady, but I am not married to this character - I'm new to the Elder Scrolls world and I just want to be able to do as much as I can - I also like having a character with a strength in speechcraft.

Speaking of which, has anyone mastered the speechcraft minigame? I tried playing for awhile and I think I was doing well, but then I quit suddenly and the NPC was p1ssed!!!

My general feeling of the game so far is that it is *SO PRETTY* but I haven't quite scratched the surface when it comes to the true content of the game. Hopefully it holds up, otherwise I fear the gaming community will view this as an updated Morrowind: pretty package but lacking substance.

Brenton is a great race for anything, they are, in my opinion one of the strongest races in the game. Statistical adjustments mean just about nothing in this game, you will overcome them so fast it isnt worth bothering (for instance, my Brenton/custom[luck/person]/Thief now has 100 natural speed at around level 17, and plenty of levels to go) if you are doing thing that co-inside with your architype.

What makes them so strong is the dragonskin (+50 armor class for 60 seconds) once per day, the extra 50 magicka, and the constant effect 50% resist magic.

That means that magic effects that are negative, hit you 50% as hard as any other normal race. In conjunction with a certian ring, found in a certian cavern that gives 35% spell reflection and 50% magic resistance, you are completly immune to magic. I wont say more about where to find it, but i will say that it is the most expensive item i have found so far, at 21000 base cost. This includes (so far)9 of daedric artifacts.

Ordinary lockpicks truly break quickly. It is possible, however, to get an unbreakable lockpick in the game. I know - I got one...:) Not going to spoil it for you, though.

Nice, ill have to look for that, with my unhinging spell (+100 lockpick for 6 seconds) things will go very fast.

For the record, there is also a reusable grand soul gem, a +25% damage reflection shield, a +35% spell reflection + +50% magic resistance ring, a +20pt spell absorbtion robue(havent found better), a +15pt spell absorbtion sigil, a +25pt health absorbtion sigil(!), a 125pt feather sigil, and a myriad of other super-awesome things.

Havent found a daedric dai-katana yet, but i do have a daedric katana(daedric artifact, one is probably a dai-katana as well, but i only have 9 of them)

3) Loss of some skills, class changes. Axes are a "blunt weapon" now. There's no Unarmored skill. One of my favorite classes in Morrowind was Nightblade, a magic user with stealth. Oblivion: that's a magic user in light armor. In some cases, the changes don't mesh well with what I remembered. It's more a personal preference, however, and easily remedied by making a custom class.

Unarmored in Morrowind blew anyway, why even bother with it?

Anywho, there IS an unarmored skill in Oblivion and it is contained in either Alteration or Abjuration. This is shield and frost/shock/fire shield. Each provides a 1 to 1 addition to your armor class. Armor Class tops out at 85, so if you can make a single 85 pt shield spell that lasts for 2 minutes, you will top your armor without wearing anything.

As for axes, i think its a good change, the two categories were much weaker than blades (which also got condensesd, no more short blades), and as a method of using them, they are very similar. Axes use a heavy weighted head to cleave and drive the blade, add some weight and remove the edge and you have a blunt weapon.

Fortify Hand-to-Hand.
Pick up a Fortify [skill] spell, gain access to the Arcane University, bring filled soulgems. Go to town on the Altar of Enchanting. Haven't tried making anything yet, so I don't know how easy/hard/different it is.

:edit: Woo! got another piece to add to my Glass Collection.
Found: 1 Glass Dagger Replica. Rated for 1 damage at max blade skill

Just need a War Axe, Shortsword, and Helmet, and ive got the full set, plus the replica dagger.

still need a daedric helmet to finish that collection, its like helmets dont exist or something. The only ones I've seen were in the Arena, and they have no-looting rules there. :-/

You will find them eventualy, i have found a few(no glass helmets yet though).

Also, fortifying str is stronger than fortifying hand-to-hand, i think they add about the same damage, but if you fort str, you also gain the carry wieght bonuses. You fortify attributes at the same rate as skills as well.

Sophistemon
2006-04-02, 03:09 PM
What type of DvD Rom do you have? More specifically, how old is it?

His disk drive is pretty old, I think. I can't remember us ever upgrading it. If it's a hardware problem that's going to piss him off pretty badly. Thanks for the help.

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-02, 04:03 PM
a +20pt spell absorbtion robue(havent found better)
I've found random magic ammies/rings with +25pt spell absorbtion on Gate runs, and I'm wearing one such ring.

I'm also sporting a ring of Absorb normal weapons +15pt, also found on a Gate run.

My amulet is +18pt to both Strength and Willpower, and it was a quest reward.

Goumindong
2006-04-02, 04:37 PM
I've found random magic ammies/rings with +25pt spell absorbtion on Gate runs, and I'm wearing one such ring.

I'm also sporting a ring of Absorb normal weapons +15pt, also found on a Gate run.

My amulet is +18pt to both Strength and Willpower, and it was a quest reward.

What level are you?

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-02, 05:05 PM
What level are you?
33, but I found this stuff long before I got this high. I'd say somwhere mid to high teens.

Goumindong
2006-04-02, 07:08 PM
Interesting.

It seems there are also a number of rewards that are level based, and if you get them too early, you are missing out.

Sophistemon
2006-04-02, 08:42 PM
Okay, we updated his CD drive, it sees the disk now. But he's having the same problem I did. Once that's cleared up it should be smooth sailing.

Samiam303
2006-04-02, 09:27 PM
Just re-install DirectX to fix that problem. :) If that doesn't work, I can direct you to a downloadable copy of the file.

Darius Midnite
2006-04-03, 10:50 AM
*Drool* Getting my Oblivion soon *Even more drool*
Been playing morrowind for a loooong time now...
Thank gods for the mods and plugins ;)

Steve_the_ERB
2006-04-03, 02:58 PM
Love the game but I can't get anywhere with it because I play it for 10 or so hours and then save it and start a new game with a new character concept. Too many things to try!

Anyway, does anyone else find it ironic that the Detect Life spells will detect skeletons, zombies, and ghosts but not horses?

PedanticTwit
2006-04-03, 03:13 PM
Game too gorgeous ...

Must ... stop ... playing ...

Agh! Another beautiful view ... Big-screen HDTVs not meant for this ... Wait, that's exactly what they're meant for.

Too god- ... forsaken ... gorgeous!

Yeah, I'd say the 360's a pretty system. :o

PedanticTwit
2006-04-03, 03:17 PM
The only problem I'm having is that many of the random caves/mines/etc. have upper areas that I can't figure out how to get to. No passages lead to them; no stairs, ladders, or slopes lead to them; there's no levitation magic.

I'm so bloody confused.

Rhaego
2006-04-03, 03:41 PM
The only problem I'm having is that many of the random caves/mines/etc. have upper areas that I can't figure out how to get to. No passages lead to them; no stairs, ladders, or slopes lead to them; there's no levitation magic.

I'm so bloody confused.

That's interesting, I haven't encountered anything like that. I will say that sometimes the maps don't reflect a blocked off area...or an area that is actually DOWN a level. The only portions of dungeons I have not been able to access are the portions that require a long underwater swim...need to get that underwater breathing spell.

On another note...is anyone else concerned that the REAL threat to Oblivion is that there are no children? Either everyone is sterile, people just ain't a-makin kids or (even scarier) they are eating their young. :o It sorta gives the game this weird empty feeling. I wish Oblivion had children, cats and dogs running around the city. A bunch of wandering "radiant" adults just doesn't give me the feeling that the world is complete. Here's hoping a mod comes along for this!

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-03, 03:54 PM

I'm so bloody confused.

the only such "upper" areas that I have noticed are generally "back door" exits from the inner sections. Basically, there are deeper sections of the ruins, and they happen to have a conviniant passage that leads back to the main exit.

Goumindong
2006-04-03, 03:59 PM

I'm so bloody confused.

Acrobatics.

WampaX
2006-04-03, 05:14 PM
the only such "upper" areas that I have noticed are generally "back door" exits from the inner sections. Basically, there are deeper sections of the ruins, and they happen to have a conviniant passage that leads back to the main exit.

Kinda like the "loading dock" for the dungeon? The way the lower level inhabitants get their deliveries?

Thervold
2006-04-03, 07:54 PM
My computer can barely handle this game at lowest settings, but I still love the gameplay. My Morrowind characters always turned out to be melee, as it took too long to rest for mana and arrows ran out too quick and would be used up on cliff racers before reaching your target dungeon. In Oblivion, I've learned that the MW concept of run up and beat on something until it dies doesn't work quite as well, as it's often me who dies first. Especially with those accursed bears east of Kvatch. They like the taste of Argonian.

With mana regeneration in Oblivion, the magic track seems much more usable (but just as expensive) compared to MW. I've learned I need to depend on it as I entered my first gate and got destroyed until I started chucking fireballs and using my chill touch spell liberally.

Arrow recovery is much much better too now, as you can pick up arrows that missed as wells as some that hit. I also love how you can use arrows to knock shiny crystals off their normally unreachable perches in some dungeons I've explored (no telekenisis for me yet).

Oh, and traps! You can usually see the tripwires, but I've been caught a few times by them. But if you see them, you can often lure some poor enemy into them. I think one of my funniest moments so far has been pulling a whiteskin goblin to me with a bow, then watch as it trips a pressure plate, setting off a huge log chained to the ceiling to fly down and knock it up and over me dead as a doornail.

Finally, I love how you enter Oblivion for the first time and have this sense of dread. Even the local plants are out to get you! Approaching the tower, I thought, "I have to go in there?!" So now, with only 12 of my original 107 arrows left, my magic weapons drained, and my equipment on the breach of breaking after using all my repair hammers, I left off at the top of one of the towers stuck behind a pillar trying to sneak past some daedra guards I snuck by earlier. I haven't had this much fun in a game in a long time.

So much to do... I just wish I had a better machine so I didn't have to wait minutes for load times and memory thrashing. Luckily, my wife is upgrading her desktop with specs that meet or beat all the recommended settings, and she'll let me use it now and then. :)

Goumindong
2006-04-03, 09:51 PM
A tip for your budding mage.

Make liberal use of Fortify Ability(Willpower), Fortify Ability(Intelligence), and Fortify Magicka.

The extra willpower will give you extra magicka regeneration, the extra intelligence will give you extra magicka, and fortify magicka also gives you extra.

This can (with very good restoration skill and access to your own spell making) move the maximum magicka for a no-bonus race/sign combo, sans alchemy and items from 200 to 500(or as much as you can get away with multipule spells with the same effects) and double your regeneration rate.

85 points of shield(or frost/shock/fire shield) will be all you need to cap your armor as well, so that is always handy.

Paper_Golem
2006-04-04, 01:01 AM
I'm considering getting it, but I still remember my main gripe with Morrowind: The enemy AI.

The last boss actually threw himself into the lava when he saw me. Has the AI improved at all since then, or will I see more monsters attempting to dodge arrows by running around in triangles?

Never circles, always triangles...

Jibar
2006-04-04, 01:52 AM
Never circles, always triangles...

I'd laugh if it hadn't happened to me.

A lot.

Kain_Tempest
2006-04-04, 03:12 AM
Picked up Oblivion last weekend (And a video card upgrade to actually run this bad boy.) and even with some really low settings the game is gorgeous.

Having been a fan of the series since Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, so this game is a big deal for me. Especially because this involves the most iconic character in this entire series.

My only gripe is how totally useless a stealth character becomes beyond level ten. You backstab a mage who has no armour for x6 damage, and he turns around and still smokes you. Although more involving that in the previous game, the combat system is a little more tedious, with more 'baiting' with your block than getting into a real clash with your enemies. Plus the clipping is a tad frustrating when a pebble can actually block what looks like a perfectly legitmate place to move.

Another thing I've sorely missed since Daggerfall was the freedom of movement granted by being able to climb. Instead, I have to meander through the dungeon in hopes of finding some other part of the level which will obviously lead to a way out.

I am appreciative that things have gone back to basics with the guilds, and the reintroduction of the Dark Brotherhood, but horses are more trouble than they are worth honestly, 2500 gold for a clunky improvement to movement that is pretty much limited to road travel rather than speedy exploration.

Quests also seemed fewer, longer-winded and lacking much reward. However, the map/quest system makes is much easier to get to what you want to do rather than wandering around helplessly, trying to find X person's house in the Capitol. (Read: Morrowind and anything dealing with Vivec)

Some technical problems with crashes are also present, I wonder if Bethesda will be timely with patches to clear up the crashes so that I can get back to gaming.

One last thing that bothers me, the inability to name by saves. I kinda wished they could make a profile system for each character. I tend to jump between multiple different characters going on different quests to different regions of the world and nothing is more frustration than quicksaving and then realizing your other character 5 levels ahead of everyone else, hasn't had a 'solid' save since level 6 (And I was a third of the way through the Theives Guild quests.)

Good game. Theif players beware of getting butt munched later, make 'real' saves.

Goumindong
2006-04-04, 03:54 AM
My only gripe is how totally useless a stealth character becomes beyond level ten. You backstab a mage who has no armour for x6 damage, and he turns around and still smokes you. Although more involving that in the previous game, the combat system is a little more tedious, with more 'baiting' with your block than getting into a real clash with your enemies. Plus the clipping is a tad frustrating when a pebble can actually block what looks like a perfectly legitmate place to move.

Another thing I've sorely missed since Daggerfall was the freedom of movement granted by being able to climb. Instead, I have to meander through the dungeon in hopes of finding some other part of the level which will obviously lead to a way out.

I am appreciative that things have gone back to basics with the guilds, and the reintroduction of the Dark Brotherhood, but horses are more trouble than they are worth honestly, 2500 gold for a clunky improvement to movement that is pretty much limited to road travel rather than speedy exploration.

Quests also seemed fewer, longer-winded and lacking much reward. However, the map/quest system makes is much easier to get to what you want to do rather than wandering around helplessly, trying to find X person's house in the Capitol. (Read: Morrowind and anything dealing with Vivec)

One last thing that bothers me, the inability to name by saves.
Good game. Theif players beware of getting butt munched later, make 'real' saves.

In reverse order.

IRT Save Game Names:

Press Tilde: Save "Savegamename" (no spaces inside the quotes, and drop the quotes) fixes the "named saves" problem.

IRT Quests: No, there are a **** tonne of quests. A veritable ebony mine, and some two to three hundred unique locations.

IRT: Stealth

No characters in any game have ever been very strong without branching out into other disciplines. Mages should have a way to beat on people, and fighters should have some magickal or sneaky ability and sneakers should have some weapon or magickal skills.

Restoration is the key to what you want to do, with 75 skill in restoration, you can create and cast a spell to increase your attack skill and supporting attribute by 100 for enough time to crunch, slice, or pincushion something real good(especialy nasty when sneak attacking)

Or Illusion: Chamelion, to not be deteceted after the attack, or Invisibility to disappear again.

Or Alchemy: Dadmage Magicka Poisen anyone? Or Damage Health? Or Damage Magicka, Health, Fire Damage, and Frost Damage? Or any one of hundreds of nasty combinations that will make a sneak attack that doesnt kill them, end their life anyway.

Damage is great here, as is silence for mages(a few seconds of no casting), attribute damage for anyone, paralyze for anyone.

Or simply buff yourself with those potions.

It is also possible that your weapon is not as strong as it ought to be.

But what it really comes down to, is that you are level 10, and things are still a challenge at that level unless you have really been power gaming. Look for things to get better around level 25(Then again, i have a nasty combination going, with maxed armor and 100% magicka resistance)

If you are really making a stealth character without weapon/armor/magicka skills, it is suggested to simply not sneak attack that mage, and sneak past instead...

IRT: Combat

Use your special power attacks in order to change the battle situation. Disarm for enemies with enchanted weapons, Knockdown for enemies with low agility, Lunge to get close to foes without strong attacks, and your strong attack for cornered beasties.

Beleriphon
2006-04-04, 04:06 AM
Yeah when you can sneak attack of x6 sometimes its easy to not attack at all. Heck for most of the Thieve's Guild quests is easiest not to attack anything at all.

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-04, 04:27 PM
My brother has a Marksman type, and he tasked me with finding him a mod to improve the effectiveness of ranged weaponry while he was at work (and thus unable/willing to find one himself)

The best I came up with was Ultimate Archer (http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Ultimate_Archer).
What have you guys seen/used/heard of?

Thervold
2006-04-04, 05:51 PM
Theif players beware of getting butt munched later, make 'real' saves.
Yep, I'm dealing with that now. Early game, sneak attacks can often one-shot enemies, so I focused on it. My speed and agility are now in the 60-70 range, but everything else is <= 50. Now at level 11, I'm having a hard time fighting anything that I can't jump up on a cliff or rock and barrage with fireballs and arrows. With good use of blocking, touch spells, and a few swings with my new dwarven dagger, I can usually win 1v1 battles, but not with much health left.

Oh, and with the question about AI earlier, I'm afraid I haven't seen much improvement. I'm trying to help the seige at Kvatch, and I watched as at least three of the garrison along the castle wall jumped off to their deaths while I was trying to pick them off with fireballs.

Smoo
2006-04-04, 06:51 PM
I found a unicorn today

that was unexpected.

Goumindong
2006-04-04, 07:17 PM
My brother has a Marksman type, and he tasked me with finding him a mod to improve the effectiveness of ranged weaponry while he was at work (and thus unable/willing to find one himself)

The best I came up with was Ultimate Archer (http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Ultimate_Archer).
What have you guys seen/used/heard of?

What level is he, i find marksman completly satisfactory and in line with with blade.

I found a unicorn today

that was unexpected.

Kill it. I did.

Thistle
2006-04-04, 09:09 PM
Yep, I'm dealing with that now. Early game, sneak attacks can often one-shot enemies, so I focused on it. My speed and agility are now in the 60-70 range, but everything else is <= 50. Now at level 11, I'm having a hard time fighting anything that I can't jump up on a cliff or rock and barrage with fireballs and arrows. With good use of blocking, touch spells, and a few swings with my new dwarven dagger, I can usually win 1v1 battles, but not with much health left.

I've seen sneeking to be really good on my friends profile. He can fire his bow and remain unseen. He takes down groups of bandits and monsters this way without any trouble. They keep thinking its just the wind. And if he gets spotted he just runs backwards and fills them full of more arrows.

Goumindong
2006-04-04, 09:18 PM
Bout the same here thistle.

So far, the best things done are the little things. Subtle UI changes(allowing more things on your screen), or fixes.

Anyway, best mod i have seen so far...

Color Map Mod.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=309440

Looks freaking amasing.

Beleriphon
2006-04-05, 01:04 AM
Kill it. I did.

In refernce to the unicorn, so did I but by accident. A group of three minotaurs attacked me and I accidentally hit the unicorn. Otherwise it would have a made a super cool mount.

Goumindong
2006-04-05, 02:06 AM
In refernce to the unicorn, so did I but by accident. A group of three minotaurs attacked me and I accidentally hit the unicorn. Otherwise it would have a made a super cool mount.

Prepate to be spoiled[Highlight to be Spoiled, quoting might break it, if you dont want to break it the current backround color is #F0E7D3, next should be #FFFFFF, and after that #6394BD]:

On the Unicorns AI
The Unicorn attacks you if you attack or are attacked by the minotaurs. They are the "keepers of the grove"

On the Unicorns function/purpose
The Unicorn is part of one of the daedric quests(Hircane or however you spell it). You have to kill and retrieve its horn to finish the quest.

Are their spoiler tags(something that puts a black bar over them or some such, if so, what is the BBCode for this forum?)

edit: I have done a whole bunch of quests in the game (Including ALL of the daedric quests, but no dark brotherhood, thieves, or much of the fighters guild, though i can activate them) so if you have a quest question or general game question, feel free to ask away(and i will spoiler in the same manner as above)

Sophistemon
2006-04-06, 09:48 PM
You guys need to take a look at this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MP9CHQZ3mHw).

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-04-11, 08:36 AM
Methinks something is sorely wrong with the way you folks are claiming that sneak attack characters catch it later on. I have a marksman based sneak at lvl 14 (that does NOT wear chest armor even) and thus far the only trouble I've had was jumping into the brawler matches way to early in the arena. Sure I don't kill most critters until about the third of fourth shot, but I only get attacked about a ninth of the time during really harsh dungeon crawls because I know how to stay out of sight.

Sophistemon
2006-04-11, 03:58 PM
Anyone know how to
A) Get rid of dead bodies and
B) Delete spells from your spellbook?

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-11, 04:08 PM
Anyone know how to

a) they dissappear on their own after a while (havent tried to figure out exactly how long, but I'd guess around a week)
b) you cant, as far as i can tell

Goumindong
2006-04-11, 05:31 PM
Anyone know how to

A) Wait 3 days
B) Cant do it. Wait/develop a mod. There is a console command to do it i know. I dont know what that command is.

CannibalGnome
2006-04-11, 06:01 PM
I produce vast sums of money by picking farm fruits/vegetables. I create massive quantities of restore fatigue potions, and sell them, for they are effectively useless for my mage/merchant.

Samiam303
2006-04-11, 06:36 PM
Yay! I just installed my new graphics card, and I'm about to test Oblivion once more! I'll report back soon! :D

Sophistemon
2006-04-11, 06:48 PM
They disappear on their own? Okay, thanks. I’ll just take a three-day nap and see what happens.

EDIT
N-n-n-o-o-o, the bodies are still there. Eh, I'll just drag 'em home and use 'em as trophies.

Miles Invictus
2006-04-12, 03:09 AM
You guys need to take a look at this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MP9CHQZ3mHw).

Darn you! Now I've got that song stuck in my head!

I produce vast sums of money by picking farm fruits/vegetables. I create massive quantities of restore fatigue potions, and sell them, for they are effectively useless for my mage/merchant.

Gotta love Alchemy...it's even easier to exploit the system, now that they seem to have removed the chance of failure.

Too bad I won't be able to play this game again until tomorrow night. Stupid schoolwork.

Goumindong
2006-04-12, 05:05 AM
Darn you! Now I've got that song stuck in my head!

Gotta love Alchemy...it's even easier to exploit the system, now that they seem to have removed the chance of failure.

Too bad I won't be able to play this game again until tomorrow night. Stupid schoolwork.

No, its a lot harder to exploit the system. If it werent, then i would like to see the unedited pic of your 2 million intelligence character, and those potions that fortify ability scores by 100,000 for 259200 seconds.

For those of you who dont care to do the math, in morrowind you could create potions that lated for multipule(the above example is 3) real time days. As in, you could drink the potion, leave the game running and come back a day later and it would still be going.

You cannot do this in Oblivion.

Sophistemon
2006-04-12, 09:29 AM
Anyone know how to use the construction set to alter ownership of an item? I know how to change items and place them, but I don't know how to tell the game that they belong to me.

Samiam303
2006-04-12, 10:35 AM
Yay! It works prettyfully now! :D

DaedricSummoner
2006-04-12, 02:23 PM
For the altering items so you own them, have you tried placing a small cave with no enemies in it in a convenient place and just putting what you want there? You should then be able to go in and pick the things up without stealing, I think.

Sophistemon
2006-04-12, 03:12 PM
Thanks, but I've already figured it out. There's a tab that let's you alter ownership and one of the options (other than every NPC in the game) is Player. So now I have some 'cooler than normal' Dwarven armor, 'cause Daedric makes my eyes hurt.

Miles Invictus
2006-04-12, 03:33 PM
No, its a lot harder to exploit the system.

You're talking about a different exploit than I am. I'm talking about buying cheap ingredients from merchants, making potions, and selling them back at exorbitant prices.

Goumindong
2006-04-12, 05:12 PM
You're talking about a different exploit than I am. I'm talking about buying cheap ingredients from merchants, making potions, and selling them back at exorbitant prices.

No exorbatant prices, the best you will do is about 50 gp a potion. For some this wont make your money back. For others it definitly will, but is a waste of time when you can simply raid a dungeon and return with thousands of GP worth of boots/greaves/gloves/helms in 1/4 the time.

Sophistemon
2006-04-12, 05:24 PM
Anyone else here use the Construction Set to make the game more interesting?

Goumindong
2006-04-12, 05:37 PM
Anyone else here use the Construction Set to make the game more interesting?

Plenty interesting for me so far.

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-12, 06:14 PM
Time to scratch "finish the main quest" and "become arch mage" off of my to-do list :D

Dhavaer
2006-04-12, 08:04 PM
Is it as easy to become Archmage in Oblivion as it was in Morrowind? The first time I did it, I didn't bother with magic, I just ran up and smacked him with a Daedric Daikatana.

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-12, 09:01 PM
Is it as easy to become Archmage in Oblivion as it was in Morrowind? The first time I did it, I didn't bother with magic, I just ran up and smacked him with a Daedric Daikatana.
Becoming archmage doesnt involve dueling the old one anymore. Heck, you dont even need to mill your magic stats to rank up, just do the quests. In theory, you could become archmage without ever using any magic.

DaedricSummoner
2006-04-13, 06:55 AM
It is really easy to become archmage by level 2, level 1 if you don't bother to level up, as the enemies are scaled, so they are as difficult to beat at level 2 as at level 100.

Thervold
2006-04-13, 11:44 AM
A question to you sneaky types. I also use the sneak/bow method, but even if I fire and back out of sight, the enemies always know where I am after my first shot. How do you remain in sneak after your attack?

And you can get rid of spells from your book by shift clicking. Alternatively, you can do it by using the console command, player.removespell <ID> but I haven't used it, so I'm not sure if <ID> is the hex value to identify the spell or just simply the name in quotes.

Bug-a-Boo
2006-04-13, 11:51 AM
A question to you sneaky types. I also use the sneak/bow method, but even if I fire and back out of sight, the enemies always know where I am after my first shot. How do you remain in sneak after your attack?

Your sneak skill has to be sufficiently high for them to miss you, and you'll have to make very sure you're in the dark.

It's one of my favourite tactics ;D

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-13, 03:21 PM
So yeah, I just noticed that there is a statue of me in Bruma.

I look badass as a statue, I'll grab pics next time I'm in the area.

Demosthenes
2006-04-13, 04:37 PM
Fireballs are very fun. I love going into places filled with random things, then blasting them all over the room ;D.

Sophistemon
2006-04-13, 04:45 PM
Firing a maxed-out Finger of the Mountain into a crowded store could entertain me for hours.

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-13, 06:14 PM
Stark Reality would rock if it worked outside of the quest where you get it.

waffle
2006-04-13, 06:37 PM

For PC users, there is a mod called Attack and Hide (http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2443) that forces the NPCs to actually look for you after you have done a sneak attack. The results are quite impressive. Sneak attack someone and they'll draw their weapon and start poking around the shadows.

Goumindong
2006-04-13, 09:08 PM
For PC users, there is a mod called Attack and Hide (http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2443) that forces the NPCs to actually look for you after you have done a sneak attack. The results are quite impressive. Sneak attack someone and they'll draw their weapon and start poking around the shadows.

The main game does that already, you just arent good enough at sneaking..

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-13, 09:58 PM
I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that this game can even addict those that normally prefer the mindless entertainment provided by CounterStrike or Diablo2.

The bad news is that my computer is being used by my brother, for the reason noted above D:

Gmonkey
2006-04-14, 01:24 PM
Yeah, you really have to be prepared for those Oblivion gates, went in quite happily with over a hundred arrows, by the end was reduced to running like a pansy using that Flare spell you get at the start.

But all is well now I have my dwarven bow, it's so pretty, heavy, but pretty.

Also I really like the fact that I can coax my Shadowmere up mountains :) Mountains people,

Sophistemon
2006-04-14, 08:10 PM
I love dwarven stuff. The armor reminds me of the Middle East. It's like armor you'd expect a king to wear into battle.

Goumindong
2006-04-15, 02:55 AM
Yeah, you really have to be prepared for those Oblivion gates, went in quite happily with over a hundred arrows, by the end was reduced to running like a pansy using that Flare spell you get at the start.

But all is well now I have my dwarven bow, it's so pretty, heavy, but pretty.

Also I really like the fact that I can coax my Shadowmere up mountains :) Mountains people,

Eh, not really. Then again, i have 45 or so gates under my belt now.

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-15, 09:37 PM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7818/screenshot203ln.jpg

I <3 Mannequins.

Me and my brother have decided that once its time to play genocide, we will place a mannequin wearing the clothes of every named NPC at the location of their death.

AmoDman
2006-04-16, 01:09 AM
I found a unicorn today

that was unexpected.

I loved that post.

Orrmundur
2006-04-16, 11:02 AM
I <3 Mannequins.

Where can I get said mannequins?

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-16, 12:33 PM
Where can I get said mannequins?

Im using Reznod's Mannequins (http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Reznod's_Mannequins), but there are other ones around as well. or not, turns out the other links from my search were pointing to the same mod, they just didnt show the name

Estella
2006-04-17, 03:06 AM
*whistle* this is a must have~!
oblivion char: Rose
Darkelf Female
Hairstyle: Windbound
looky looky lvl 50 ebony goodness! ;D
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4584/rose21by.png http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/151/rose0gl.png

Morrowind is good i finished all of it
sadly i don't got screenie for her

Note Oblivion is a Gorey gruesome place... i've closed 17 gates i should know

Goumindong
2006-04-17, 08:39 AM
pshaw, 17... Ive closed 59!

I am looking for the last one or two before i end the main quest.

Then again, i dont kill the creatures in there, and nothing usualy sees me enter, or exit the realm. (seriously, invisible when i go in, invisible when i come out[no chamelion either], observring from above you would just see random gates closing every 10 minutes or so (assuming average travel time and 2 minutes to close the gate)

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-17, 03:29 PM
wait, you skip all of the loot? thats nearly the entire point of gateruns!

Estella
2006-04-17, 04:17 PM
That -AND- Sigil stones ;)

Goumindong
2006-04-17, 04:47 PM
wait, you skip all of the loot? thats nearly the entire point of gateruns!

I get the stuff at the end.

But really, when you are 100% restant to magic and have 85 armor(max), immune to disease, poison, and paralysis, wielding a daedric longsword that does 45 extra damage per hit AND soultraps(which makes it better than goldbrand and Umbra... the backups)...

The loot becomes kinda "eh". The only thing i really "want" is +magicka, and the best +magicka items i have found are sigil stones (+50).

Bloodred
2006-04-17, 10:33 PM
Does anyone know where there is a good "smooth" leveling up mod??
I am looking for one that allows my Attributes, and Skills to go beyond even 100. Theoreticly. . . . Endlessly. . .
I looked for one, but couldent find anything quite like what I was looking for. I know someone did it for Morrowind, so I am sure you can do it for Oblivion. . .
Any help is greatly apprecated.

Crazymech
2006-04-18, 08:09 AM
Why am I not suprised to find a Oblivion post...

Oh well..

Bloodred, if you arn't afraid of crossing some boundries...

Try the script command "modpcs <skill> <amount>"

If I only knew how to get the screenies to work *sigh*..
(BTW, 1st post ^^)

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-18, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know where there is a good "smooth" leveling up mod??
I am looking for one that allows my Attributes, and Skills to go beyond even 100. Theoreticly. . . . Endlessly. . .
I looked for one, but couldent find anything quite like what I was looking for. I know someone did it for Morrowind, so I am sure you can do it for Oblivion. . .
Any help is greatly apprecated.
the best I can find for you is Digizen's Smooth Leveling (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=147). It offers a "cheat mode" that apparently uncaps skills/attributes/levels

Estella
2006-04-18, 08:01 PM
Oblivion has a huge selection of cheats go to www.gamefaqs.com

You don't need to give cheat links rose

Goumindong
2006-04-19, 12:24 PM
Why am I not suprised to find a Oblivion post...

Oh well..

Bloodred, if you arn't afraid of crossing some boundries...

Try the script command "modpcs <skill> <amount>"

If I only knew how to get the screenies to work *sigh*..
(BTW, 1st post ^^)

You need to enable it in your oblivion.ini file

Located at C:\\Documents and Settings\account name\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

Where C:\\ is your windows install directory.

Do a search in that ini for "screenshot" and it should give you something like "BAallowscreenshot=0" change that to 1 and you are good to go.

If it still doesnt work, disable AA, there is a known bug where sometimes that stops screenshots from working.

Gralamin
2006-04-19, 10:59 PM
Don't make up qoutes Rose :P
But bassically If you need cheats for some reason, a good site is:
This one for PC (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/code/924363.html)
Or this this one for X Box 360 (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/code/927345.html)

Samiam303
2006-04-20, 12:28 AM
Anyone know where I can find vampires?

Crazymech
2006-04-20, 02:37 AM
You need to enable it in your oblivion.ini file

Located at C:\\Documents and Settings\account name\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

Where C:\\ is your windows install directory.

Do a search in that ini for "screenshot" and it should give you something like "BAallowscreenshot=0" change that to 1 and you are good to go.

If it still doesnt work, disable AA, there is a known bug where sometimes that stops screenshots from working.

Thanks! Thanks a lot :D ...

Oh and.. To Vampires, the easiest way (I know of) is to 1: Read Immortal Blood, a book found by the Ayleid ruins just across the river from the (imperial) city sewers.

or if you acctuly want to become one, try the wonderfull TDBrotherhood quests. Lovely..

Goumindong
2006-04-20, 03:07 AM
You are welcome Crazy.

I have a link for a pretty good tweak page that, if you know what you are doing, will eek every last frame and all the quality from the game that is possible.

Ill see if i can dig it up.

Also, i dont know why anyone would cheat at this game, it is so easy it just makes zero sense.

Samiam303
2006-04-20, 10:18 AM
Thanks! Thanks a lot :D ...

Oh and.. To Vampires, the easiest way (I know of) is to 1: Read Immortal Blood, a book found by the Ayleid ruins just across the river from the (imperial) city sewers.

or if you acctuly want to become one, try the wonderfull TDBrotherhood quests. Lovely..
Where does one start the Dark Brotherhood line of quests?

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-20, 10:56 AM
Where does one start the Dark Brotherhood line of quests?
step 1: Find random innocent
step 2: Terminate innocent from step 1
step 3: If you got a message upon innocent's death, find some place to sleep

I'd spoilerize the text, but if you've played for a while, you have almost certainly heard NPCs talking about how the Dark Brotherhood visits people that have murdered someone.

Samiam303
2006-04-20, 06:09 PM
Nice, will do. :)

Muz
2006-04-20, 07:40 PM
Nice screenshots, Rose. :)

And now it's stupid question time: How did you take them? (I've been trying the usual method of the Print Screen button and then pasting, but when I do that with Oblivion, there's nothing to paste.) ???

Samiam303
2006-04-21, 12:10 AM
When you press Printscreen, it SHOULD save the screenshot somewhere on your install folder. You may have to enable this in your .INI File... I'm not sure.

Goumindong
2006-04-21, 03:19 AM
When you press Printscreen, it SHOULD save the screenshot somewhere on your install folder. You may have to enable this in your .INI File... I'm not sure.

Yes, instructions on page 12.

Muz
2006-04-21, 12:03 PM
Thanks! Usually when I get a new game I'm the weird sort of guy who actually reads the manual cover to cover before playing, but in this case, I made an exception. Then when I flipped through the manual looking for anything specific, I couldn't seem to find it.

In other news, I think Glarthir's following me... ;D

(Edited because my memory for names sucks.)

Thervold
2006-04-21, 10:16 PM
I've learned that the beginning of most faqs on gamefaqs tend to have a much better set of instructions (albeit with no images) then most instruction manuals. However, this only applies to games that have been out long enough for someone to create and FAQ for it. Thankfully, it usually doesn't take long for someone to get to it within the first week or two after a game is released.

And I know that Glathir isn't following me... *evil grin*

Miles Invictus
2006-04-22, 04:01 AM
So, there I was, travelling to the southwest edge of the Empire, when I saw an Imperial guard riding off in a horse. Moments later, one of those Khajjit highwaymen stepped out of the shadows and tried to hit my character (my designed exclusively for melee combat character) up for some gold. For obvious reasons, I declined, and for obvious reasons, he charged at me, swinging wildly.

I have a strategy for duels. I use my shield to cover myself as my foe rains useless blow after useless blow upon me. When he tires, I split his skull with a power attack and a flurry of fast swings. It's an effective tactic, if a bit time-consuming.

I've got my shield braced, waiting for him to let his guard down...when I look over his shoulder and see a horse racing up. The Imperial guardsman, of all people! Taking advantage of my distraction, he slipped into position and backstabbed the bandit. Repeatedly. With a six-foot claymore.

Definitely the highlight of the evening.

Muz
2006-04-22, 04:55 AM
Yes, instructions on page 12.

Actually, after looking at the manual, page 12 just talks about the magic menu...

Beleriphon
2006-04-22, 05:10 AM
Actually, after looking at the manual, page 12 just talks about the magic menu...

I believe that is a reference to page 12 of this thread Muz.

Goumindong
2006-04-22, 05:46 AM
I believe that is a reference to page 12 of this thread Muz.

it is.

Muz
2006-04-22, 01:08 PM
Well.
...Never mind. :-[

I leave you again with my thanks and the abashed words of the Sea Captain: "Arr! ...I don't know what I'm doin'."

Savage
2006-04-23, 12:39 AM
For anyone who is interested... I'm out on my own for the first time, and in the process of organizing my life, I was thinking the other day about my life goals, and the farthest ahead I could plan was "Make five hundred dollars, buy X-Box 360, play Oblivion." I figured that this being my primary goal in life was kind of absurd, and made me chuckle a bit, so I started an IGN blog entirely on how I'm getting my life shaped up to play a video game. Check it out, and mock or praise me for the loser geek I am. http://blogs.ign.com/CoyoteEater

Miles Invictus
2006-04-23, 07:00 AM
For anyone who is interested... I'm out on my own for the first time, and in the process of organizing my life, I was thinking the other day about my life goals, and the farthest ahead I could plan was "Make five hundred dollars, buy X-Box 360, play Oblivion." I figured that this being my primary goal in life was kind of absurd, and made me chuckle a bit, so I started an IGN blog entirely on how I'm getting my life shaped up to play a video game. Check it out, and mock or praise me for the loser geek I am. http://blogs.ign.com/CoyoteEater

Regarding item #8 on your "to do" list: The hell?! :o There's loving games, and there's loving games too much. Also: your fan-fiction sounds approximately 2.333 times better than Total Recall.

Soniku
2006-04-23, 06:07 PM
aah, oblivion. Got it tuesday and have barely been off it in my free time @.@ It consumes my life so.

Some seriously cool things happen in it! I praise whoever made the AI so one time a theif ran into the guards tower and stole some food, just at the right time too, since he led the guards away for me to sneak into what I like to call "teh lewt room"... or what others call the storage room >.>

Savage
2006-04-23, 10:12 PM
Regarding item #8 on your "to do" list: The hell?! :o There's loving games, and there's loving games too much. Also: your fan-fiction sounds approximately 2.333 times better than Total Recall.
I prefer to think of it as loving the game exactly the right amount, especially considering what a tease it's been for the past couple years. And while you wait for my next fan fic, you can read part of my Chewbacca/Yoda slash at the bottom of this page (http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2691).

In all seriousness, though: I am so looking forward to this game. I can't believe how many of my friends apparently had four hundred dollars to burn on an unproven console just to play this game. I can believe that I'm joining them, though. The game looks and sounds flippin' sweet.

Goumindong
2006-04-23, 10:57 PM
I prefer to think of it as loving the game exactly the right amount, especially considering what a tease it's been for the past couple years. And while you wait for my next fan fic, you can read part of my Chewbacca/Yoda slash at the bottom of this page (http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2691).

In all seriousness, though: I am so looking forward to this game. I can't believe how many of my friends apparently had four hundred dollars to burn on an unproven console just to play this game. I can believe that I'm joining them, though. The game looks and sounds flippin' sweet.

If you were really dedicated you would buy a new PC to play it.

Savage
2006-04-24, 08:32 PM
If I were really dedicated, I'd buy both versions in the order affordable to me. So horse armor and Orerry for the 360 today, topless wood elves mod for PC tomorrow.

Rawr.

noweezernoworld
2006-04-24, 10:19 PM
Anyone else done the Daedric Shrine quests? The skeleton key is insanely good; in my book it's close to cheating (but I use it anyways! ;D).

Gralamin
2006-04-24, 10:34 PM
I've done them. My favorites are skeleton key and moras book.

Shatenjager
2006-04-26, 12:00 PM
I just got a copy and wow. Now if I can only find someone who sells lockpicks I'll be in buisness.

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-26, 12:06 PM
I just got a copy and wow. Now if I can only find someone who sells lockpicks I'll be in buisness.
the beggars in the Imperial city may be able to point you in the right direction ;)

Goumindong
2006-04-26, 12:14 PM
the beggars in the Imperial city may be able to point you in the right direction ;)

You can also find shady people at night, usualy in alleys.

And stay away from the skooma.

hobbes543
2006-04-26, 09:35 PM
Mmmmmmm Skooma...

I haven't played in over a week... Thats how busy I have been.

Muz
2006-04-27, 02:23 AM
Does anyone know how to get a bounty removed without being caught by the guards somewhere? Even a cheat would be fine, in this case, since I belatedly found out I earned a 250gp bounty on my head by accidentally getting on the wrong horse. (I clicked on the one standing next to mine when Jauffre was watching me. Apparently the fink reported me for a simple mistake. Ingrate.) :)

Goumindong
2006-04-27, 04:05 AM
Does anyone know how to get a bounty removed without being caught by the guards somewhere? Even a cheat would be fine, in this case, since I belatedly found out I earned a 250gp bounty on my head by accidentally getting on the wrong horse. (I clicked on the one standing next to mine when Jauffre was watching me. Apparently the fink reported me for a simple mistake. Ingrate.) :)

just pay it off, or talk to the theives guild

Archonic Energy
2006-04-27, 05:20 AM
If you were really dedicated you would buy a new PC to play it.

do i qualify? i baught a new laptop. and have just got Oblivion. I didn't by the laptop to play Oblivion but is is being used to play it!

it really is one stunning game when i first left the sewer i was awe struck.

So beautiful, they should have sent a poet.

i've re-started 3 times so far trying to get my class correct... hopefully though this should be ok.

Psiwave
2006-04-27, 10:06 AM
truely awesome game!
saw it on my mates 360 and was impressed. wacked a a copy on my gaming rig and nearly died. either way its damn good. but you do need a top notch pc to beat the xbox (for the next couple of months anyway, stupid un-upgradable consoles)

(looks over shoulder to make sure playstation didn't hear)

Crazymech
2006-04-27, 07:39 PM

Quite easy, open the script menu.

player.payfine

and live yer dream. :D
These too are my favorites though:

(script button = | )

| kill <targetx>
Check loot, <Targetx>
Don't take anything from TargetX's body.
|resurrect <targetx>

Fun indeed.

Serge_Drago
2006-04-28, 01:02 AM
Okay, game's been out for about a month, how many people have beaten it 100% without the aid of the mods(PC) or the money gliches from Dorian and the Kvatch Orc(both 360)?

I myself have just become Listener for DB, started the Gray Fox's missions for the TG, and have just delivered the Amulet of Kings.

And by 100%, I mean all skills 100, property purchases, all settlement and town missions, as well as quests for the factions and main story.

Sophistemon
2006-04-30, 05:56 PM
What's the general consensus on Bethesda selling content? Are they (Horse Armor, The Orrery and the Wizard's Tower) worth the money to download them?

hobbes543
2006-04-30, 06:05 PM
When I get back into the game, I may buy the orrerary and the wizards tower. Not spending money on horse armour though.

Sophistemon
2006-04-30, 06:18 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that they're charging about 1/25th the price of the game for what is obviously far less than 1/25th the content?

hobbes543
2006-04-30, 07:04 PM
I don't mind really. If they didnt' charge for this additional content, what would encourage them to even make it? Also, I like this method more than the one big $25 expansion. It allows you to purchase the features and new content you will use and skip on content that doesn't interest you. Now that doesn't mean Oblivion won't have a full scale expansion, but these smaller mods allow you to add content that interests you for a low price. I mean I could probably find $2 in my couch.

Sophistemon
2006-04-30, 07:16 PM
Well, yeah, but I...

I guess I'm just cheap.

LordOfNarf
2006-04-30, 11:04 PM
Okay, game's been out for about a month, how many people have beaten it 100% without the aid of the mods(PC) or the money gliches from Dorian and the Kvatch Orc(both 360)?

I myself have just become Listener for DB, started the Gray Fox's missions for the TG, and have just delivered the Amulet of Kings.

And by 100%, I mean all skills 100, property purchases, all settlement and town missions, as well as quests for the factions and main story.
Doesn't the theives guild get pissed off if you kill people? or is that just if you kill people on the special missions?

hobbes543
2006-04-30, 11:27 PM
Only if you kill people on missions or beggers

Crazy Owl
2006-05-01, 07:44 AM
Or other members.

Goumindong
2006-05-01, 03:04 PM

100% is nearly impossible, without making modifications there are a number of NPC's who may get offed and make certian missions incompletable.

I have done all missions except a couple of the master trainer missions, and have many skills high, all properties.

But not 100%, getting there would just be tedium. And i would have to edit a few NPC's back into the game(like the marksman master trainer, who is dead).

Thervold
2006-05-02, 11:54 AM
100% is nearly impossible, without making modifications there are a number of NPC's who may get offed and make certian missions incompletable.

I agree that if you're playing through normally, you would probably kill off people too early.

If you were to make it your goal to accomplish the 100% finish (without cheats), you would plan out ahead of time what quests to take in what order. Using strategy guides, it may be possible to plan out a route that only kills of npcs after their usefulness is gone.

Mr Wizard
2006-05-02, 10:21 PM
What's the general consensus on Bethesda selling content? Are they (Horse Armor, The Orrery and the Wizard's Tower) worth the money to download them?

The general consensus amongst gamers is the Orrery quest was unimaginative, and the Tower didn't deliver on what was promised. The orrery quest was ridiculously small, though the Orrery was pretty. The Mages tower is basically a free house in the game, once you buy the mod, there is no real quest to get it(at least, this is what i have been told) and you can get it no matter your level. Also, it was advertised to have a great view of the land, but for some reason, people have reported that it is always raining there, and when they checked the Construction set the cell with the tower had the weather parameter set to 100% rain. I dont know why, but that is what they did. :-/

Finwe
2006-05-02, 11:21 PM
I have the tower mod, and you get the deed and key to the tower at lvl 1. No quest or anything to get it.

Goumindong
2006-05-03, 02:36 PM
I agree that if you're playing through normally, you would probably kill off people too early.

If you were to make it your goal to accomplish the 100% finish (without cheats), you would plan out ahead of time what quests to take in what order. Using strategy guides, it may be possible to plan out a route that only kills of npcs after their usefulness is gone.

No, i mean there are a number of NPC's who are in locations or situations that may end up with them getting killed before you even meet them.

Shatenjager
2006-05-04, 11:54 AM
No, i mean there are a number of NPC's who are in locations or situations that may end up with them getting killed before you even meet them.

Yeah I've noticed several times NPCs just getting into fights. My favorite was one time I was walking under a bridge and randomly a woman just falls off dead. When I did the same thing with a different charachter this didn't happen.

Besides, who hasn't been tailed by a couple bears and run the train into town. It's funny watching townsfolk fight bears. Especially invisible bears.

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-04, 02:04 PM
so yeah, Oblivion is now rated M for Mature (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-05-04T160900Z_01_N54265468_RTRIDST_0_TECH-MEDIA-OBLIVION-DC.XML).

neriana
2006-05-04, 05:06 PM
so yeah, Oblivion is now rated M for Mature (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-05-04T160900Z_01_N54265468_RTRIDST_0_TECH-MEDIA-OBLIVION-DC.XML).
The ESRB gets stupider all the time.

Gralamin
2006-05-04, 08:47 PM
waoh woah woah, they have managed to drop in intelligence? how?

hobbes543
2006-05-04, 09:33 PM
So they have changed the rating because of an INDEPENDANT MOD. The topless art was never part of the game. It was added by modders.

Miles Invictus
2006-05-04, 10:12 PM
Apparently, though, they're cool with the necrophiliac from House Hlaalu.

hobbes543
2006-05-04, 10:23 PM
hypocrites...

Goumindong
2006-05-05, 01:47 AM
Apparently, though, they're cool with the necrophiliac from House Hlaalu.

And the entire dark brotherhood quest line, which could probably make the game M with just that bit.

Oh, and the books, they can get pretty graphic.

Miles Invictus
2006-05-05, 05:20 PM
Speaking of, how do I kill Glarthir's "enemies" without getting caught? My character is very well built for melee, but I still can't kill them without someone running to the guards and ruining everything.

Sophistemon
2006-05-06, 06:00 PM
So I was cruising the internet this afternoon when I found this (http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=3704). If you have both the Imperial Orrery and Frostcrag Tower mods you'll love this. If you don't have the mods I might know a guy that might know a guy that might know a way to help you with that.

hobbes543
2006-05-06, 11:30 PM
Looks interesting, but since I don't have any mage type characters at the moment...

Sophistemon
2006-05-09, 04:12 PM
So, eh... here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=117393&page=2). Second post down. Is Jack Thompson ever not and attention-grubbing moron?

hobbes543
2006-05-09, 11:30 PM
The nude mod uses fan created skins.

Miles Invictus
2006-05-10, 01:12 AM
Oh no, Jack Thompson is back! And now he's not only a law school graduate, but a former classmate of Al Gore! The horror, the horror! What are we to do? Woe is me! My evil plan to inundiate today's youth with subversive sex symbols is undone!

At least we'll always have nudie Renaissance art.

Orrmundur
2006-05-10, 07:05 AM
At least we'll always have nudie Renaissance art.
For now, dear Miles. For now...

Also, check out this mod. (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=762) I personally don't use it, but hey, it still looks good. Although I'd rather have hairy Nords.

Miles Invictus
2006-05-10, 08:40 PM
I haven't seen undergrowth that thick since Austin Powers 2!

Sophistemon
2006-05-10, 10:09 PM
*vomits*

Jibar
2006-05-11, 12:18 PM
On the subject of Jack Thompson, I believe Tim summed it up for me here (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20051012).

But on subject, my friend recently got Oblivion, and so the challenge is on myself and my other friend to get it as well.
Oblivion and your character customisation of amazobility, here I come!
(Please please please say they have fixed High Elves!)

Sophistemon
2006-05-11, 07:54 PM
And people call his comic stupid...

Casualgamer
2006-05-11, 10:51 PM
I heard the ending was Deus Ex Machina. That CANT be good.

Sophistemon
2006-05-12, 03:36 PM
Less Deus Ex Machina and more Deus Ex Vir, if you know what I mean.

Jibar
2006-05-16, 02:14 PM
Behold, el tango de el Edwardo Magnifico!
I got Oblivion, I got Oblivion, I got Oblivion...
I'm bored now, so,
*HAPPY BOOGIE*

Jibar
2006-05-17, 03:25 PM
(I thought this deserved a new post)
I have just played it, and, well, wow!
The character creation, it was so nice to test different playing styles to find ones I like, without having to settle on one.
So I'm currently playing an Imperial Bard, with the Warrior star sign.
It matches my playing style perfectly. It was so nice to get a class suggested for me. Especially one so brilliant.
I'm kinda pissed though. 1. No duel wielding, 2. Some orc ate the frickin horses! 3. I'm not liking fast travel too much. But I want a horse badly so I've had to use it.
But otherwise, well, this game is my idea of perfection.

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-17, 03:27 PM
wait, horse-eating orc? where did you find that?

Jibar
2006-05-17, 03:32 PM
It was in the stables outside imperial city. They said they can't find their horses, and that the orc likes her stew.
I asked her, and asked whether she ate them, and she said
"Add a bit of onion and...hoho, almost caught me out with that one. No. No. Eating horses is wrong..."