PDA

View Full Version : Protection from daze?

molten_dragon
2010-10-01, 10:29 AM
For an upcoming campaign, I'm considering playing a sorcerer/stormcaster (from stormwrack) and making frequent use of the born of three thunders feat. The only downside is that using born of three thunders dazes you. I'm looking for something that can prevent me from being dazed. Ideally, I'd like a feat or magic item that can prevent it permanently. Less ideally would be a race that's immune to it, or a spell/feat/magic item that can prevent it some of the time.

I know that the celerity spells do the same thing, so I'm sure someone's come up with some way of negating being dazed.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-01, 10:46 AM
The only way I know of-hand is the spell Favor of the martyr sadly it is only a Paladin spell... maybe looking for celerity abuse threads might help you find what you are looking for.

Amphetryon
2010-10-01, 10:54 AM
Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) lets you save again the next round if you were stunned or dazed.

tyckspoon
2010-10-01, 10:56 AM
The Quick Recovery feat (Lords of Madness) lets you use a move action to make a save against a stun/daze effect at the start of your turn. You'll still be a bit vulnerable after your turn, but it helps prevent losing your next turn. A couple levels of Wyrm Wizard taken at the right time would let you snag Favor of the Martyr from the Paladin list.

Other ways.. *shrug* I think there are maybe one or two more that are reasonably accessible (there's a Warforged racial feat that does it, IIRC, or maybe it's part of the Warforged Juggernaut PrC) but I can't remember exactly what they are. Daze is actually a really hard condition to duck.

Keld Denar
2010-10-01, 11:02 AM
Silver Pyromancer, IIRC, gets Pally spells added to their list. Favor is a Pally4 spell.

Quick Recovery is probably your best way. Make sure you dip a lot of caster PrCs to get your will save way up. The best thing about Quick Recovery is that you get saves against things, even if those things normally don't allow saves. Its one of the few counters to Blasphemy.

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-01, 11:23 AM
Contigency + Heal. But you need to be 18th level...

molten_dragon
2010-10-01, 11:35 AM
Well, I was looking through the MiC and found the Third Eye Clarity, which does what I want (negates a daze, stun, or fascinate or confuse) once a day and costs 3000 gp. I'm considering just asking the DM if I can make a custom greater version that does it at will. I'm trying to figure out how to price it though.

The version in the MiC is based on a 4th level cleric spell from the SpC called Panacea. By the formula in the back of the DMG, a 1/day command word item that casts panacea would cost (4x7x1800)/5 or 10,080 gp. The Third eye clarity costs 70% less than that, probably due to the fact that panacea cures a TON more conditions than the 4 which the item does, can be cast on any creature touched, and heals damage as well.

Essentially then, a greater Third Eye Clarity that allowed you to use the effect as often as you wanted, should cost 15,000 gp. Sound right?

Aracor
2010-10-01, 12:27 PM
Not really. The ability to become effectively immune to dazing is rather more valuable than that. What you're looking at in the back of the book is guidelines more than anything else. The price is whatever your DM says it is. I'm AFB so I don't know the exact effect of the item, but I wouldn't give you more than three times per day without a great deal of expense.

Douglas
2010-10-01, 12:33 PM
If Eberron material is allowed, Mark of the Dauntless (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061106a&page=3) from Dragonmarked will do it for a feat (plus another feat to get the required Dragonmark).

molten_dragon
2010-10-01, 11:25 PM
Not really. The ability to become effectively immune to dazing is rather more valuable than that. What you're looking at in the back of the book is guidelines more than anything else. The price is whatever your DM says it is. I'm AFB so I don't know the exact effect of the item, but I wouldn't give you more than three times per day without a great deal of expense.

I realize that those prices are only guidelines, and the DM can always use rule 0 if he thinks that the item should be worth more. That's not really the answer I was looking for though. I was really just asking if I did the math right, or if someone else thinks it should be calculated a different way, according to the rules in the DMG.

My DM prefers to see custom magic items presented in that manner, laid out (and priced) according to the rules in the DMG, before he determines whether he'll adjust the price.

DementedFellow
2010-10-01, 11:30 PM
I believe that there is a race called Bhuka in Sandstorm that are immune to daze. I could be wrong though. I'm not near my book.

Bhukas only offer Glare Resistance to not be dazzled by the sun.

arguskos
2010-10-01, 11:33 PM
Drakehelms can get you access to Favor of the Martyr. A Drakehelm with Favor in it gives you Favor of the Martyr as an arcane spell known, due to silly wording. That's probably the best way to get it. Kinda pricey, but it works. Explorer's Handbook for more info.