PDA

View Full Version : Building a Fun Rogue

bokodasu
2010-10-01, 11:22 AM
I have been accused of liking Big Power Characters too much. And I'm joining a new game that needs a rogue. So, in the interest of proving my accuser wrong... what options are there to add variety and interest to the humble rogue? I'm looking for subtlety, variety, and, if possible, entertaining tricks my fellow players won't be expecting.

Restrictions: I don't have the starting level yet, but it will be <5, and is technically SRD-only, although the DM generally will allow us to pick a few things from any one other book. (So "class from bookA and race from bookB" is right out, but "item from bookA and feat also from bookA" is probably ok.)

Shenanigans
2010-10-01, 11:32 AM
So, are you looking to be more combat-oriented, social, sneaky, total skill-monkey, or some combination of those?

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-01, 11:33 AM
I think Beguiler is a good option. It has plenty of great illusions and enchantments to trick people, and lots of utility spells. And of course, it has trapfinding, although it also has a poor reflex save and no trap sense...

bokodasu
2010-10-01, 11:52 AM
So, are you looking to be more combat-oriented, social, sneaky, total skill-monkey, or some combination of those?

Well, we have a bard so the social is covered. The trapfinding/removing is required. Other than that, I'd like to be some combo of sneaky and fighty, I think.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-01, 12:12 PM
Rogue is a class that's largely crippled by being restricted to core books or SRD only. You've got to have the Craven feat (from Champions of Ruin) and Penetrating Strike ACF (from either Dungeonscape or Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) at a bare minimum to be effective in combat, and I'd strongly suggest Greater Truedeath and Greater Demolition weapon augment crystals (Magic Item Compendium) when you can afford them. If you just want to be good at getting around undetected you can dip into Shadowdancer from the DMG, but you'll also require the Darkstalker feat (Lords of Madness) and Mobility as an armor enhancement which grants the feat (Magic Item Compendium).

That's my recommendation for the minimum for your Rogue "to be some combo of sneaky and fighty", and I suggest you pass this info along to your DM.

gallagher
2010-10-01, 12:24 PM
at less than level 5, a spike chain rogue is still highly effective. see into getting improved trip in there as well, because really anything that you cant sneak attack you should be tripping, and if you cant trip them at least give flanking bonuses to your fighter

EDIT: since you can kind of glean from one book, look into the spellthief. that might be a fun and hard-to-optimize class for you to try

Shenanigans
2010-10-01, 12:29 PM
Rogue is a class that's largely crippled by being restricted to core books or SRD only. You've got to have the Craven feat (from Champions of Ruin) and Penetrating Strike ACF (from either Dungeonscape or Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) at a bare minimum to be effective in combat, and I'd strongly suggest Greater Truedeath and Greater Demolition weapon augment crystals (Magic Item Compendium) when you can afford them. If you just want to be good at getting around undetected you can dip into Shadowdancer from the DMG, but you'll also require the Darkstalker feat (Lords of Madness) and Mobility as an armor enhancement which grants the feat (Magic Item Compendium).

That's my recommendation for the minimum for your Rogue "to be some combo of sneaky and fighty", and I suggest you pass this info along to your DM.
I'll admit that missing out on these books will limit you, but every class will miss out, so that's somewhat more balanced, although Rogue probably does take a disproportionate hit.

Craven is pretty sharp for a stabby rogue, but I don't know anything else out of that book that's stunning. Complete Warrior or Complete Scoundrel might be a good choice if you get one other book. Scoundrel has all the skill tricks, and those seem to be just what you're looking for in "entertaining tricks." Scoundrel also has Savvy Rogue, which is definitely nice if you decide to take Rogue pretty far. For more combat and sneak effectiveness, Assassin might be a good prestige class, although you do have to be evil.

Crossblade
2010-10-01, 12:41 PM
If you're wanting to be sneaky but combat effective, look into complete scoundrel for your one source. Hidden weapons are fun, those treat/luck feats aren't optimised easily from what I remember... But I'm away from book now.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-01, 06:56 PM
Craven is pretty sharp for a stabby rogue, but I don't know anything else out of that book that's stunning.
For ranged attacks, the splitting weapon enhancement is pretty spiffy. :smallbiggrin: