PDA

View Full Version : 5e? (Should I buy into 4e now?)

Scorpions__
2010-10-01, 03:43 PM
So, does anyone have any idea when 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons will come out? Is it safe for me to start buying into 4e still or am I going to be sneak attacked like I was shortly after rounding out my 3.5 library?

DM[F]R

Prime32
2010-10-01, 03:44 PM
So, does anyone have any idea when 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons will come out? Is it safe for me to start buying into 4e still or am I going to be sneak attacked like I was shortly after rounding out my 3.5 library?You mean you want to switch to 5e regardless of whether it's an improvement? :smallconfused:

Ignition
2010-10-01, 03:46 PM
After the absurd flak Wizards got for 4e, they're tentative as all get out to do their 4Essentials, much less an all-out 5e. To my knowledge, and to the knowledge of the industry, 5e won't come out for quite awhile.

If I were you though, I wouldn't get 4e unless you're actually going to play a game of it. If you have another system (3.5, Savage Worlds, etc.), just go ahead and use that. 4e only matters if you want to run it, or if you're going to play in sanctioned Wizards events.

Sipex
2010-10-01, 03:49 PM
Looking at the current statistics I would say you still have 6 or 7 years before 5e is developed.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-01, 03:51 PM
Tomorrow! PANIC!

Kurald Galain
2010-10-01, 04:00 PM
So, does anyone have any idea when 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons will come out?
Well...

They've just finished a major overhaul of their design philosophy to make things more balanced and bring back the "classic form" of a number of spells and classes. This may or may not be a big deal depending on who you ask. But the point is, WOTC has made a big investment in the 4E rules just recently, so at my best estimate guess, it will take at least two years, probably three, before they make such a big investment again.

So there you go. Whether you get sneak attacked depends on how many rogues you know.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-01, 04:26 PM
You mean you want to switch to 5e regardless of whether it's an improvement? :smallconfused:

This. I would suggest buying what you want to play with. Unpublished stuff is always worth a look when it comes out, but I wouldn't assume it's inherently superior just because it's new.

Tiki Snakes
2010-10-01, 04:30 PM
Another way to look at it is, the longer you leave it the closer 5e gets (Reguardless of how far off it may be).

So if you would enjoy the books, some or all of them, then NOW is the correct time to get them, because the sooner you get them the longer you have with them.

But I agree with the Above.
If you have plans to run it, or play it, go for it. If you don't, there's no real hurry.

randomhero00
2010-10-01, 04:31 PM
There's also pathfinder to consider since its fairly compatible with 3.5.

DeltaEmil
2010-10-01, 05:03 PM
Wizards of the Coast might start thinking about D&D 5th edition in 2-4 years, and after 6 years bring out the newest edition. So, if you actually like the balanced rule-set of 4th edition, then buy it without any regret.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-01, 05:05 PM
4e came out not too long ago. We got at least 5 years before the next "upgrade".

Felhammer
2010-10-01, 05:16 PM
I think an edition will last about 8 years on the long side (the entire run of 3rd edition), 5 on the short side (the run of 3.5). 4E has been out for 2 years, so you're looking at 3 to 6 more years of 4E goodness.

Honestly, the way WotC prints books pretty much forces you to buy the books you really want because down the road many will not be available, especially books that are of a more niche interest (like campaign settings, all of the Monster-con books, etc.). So buy what you really want and don't worry about the other books because you can always a) get in on the D&DI and b) there will always be a new edition released in the future.

EDIT: We can also assume that 2E really ran from 89 to 97 (i.e. 8 years), the last three years of 2E (97-2000) were spent developing 3E because TSR did not have a long term plan. Further, as time goes on we can see a direct trend where editions are released faster and faster (AD&D 1E lasted from 77 to 89 - 12 years; AD&D 2E lasted from 89 to 2000 - 11 years; D&D 3.x lasted from 2000 to 08 - 8 years).

dsmiles
2010-10-01, 05:20 PM
Tomorrow! PANIC!

DON'T PANIC
(And don't forget your towel.)

AslanCross
2010-10-01, 07:09 PM
You mean you want to switch to 5e regardless of whether it's an improvement? :smallconfused:

This. Just because it's new doesn't mean you HAVE to switch to it. D&D isn't Magic: The Gathering, where the cards become illegal for tournament play after a while.

The books might be harder to acquire when they're out of print, but you can easily get secondhand books for much lower than the sale price.

I'm sticking to 3.5 for the foreseeable future, because I've put together more books than I thought I'd be able to get, and I'm happy with it.

If you like 4E, then stick to it no matter what edition comes out. That's why people still play OD&D and all the older editions even with 4E out.

ericgrau
2010-10-01, 07:13 PM
MtG at least has backwards compatibility so you can play with old cards in casual games.

Agreed that you should play whatever you enjoy and stick to it until you get bored. Probably even if 5e comes out and even if it's good. Get the most out of your existing books. And don't wait possibly a long time while you don't play anything, unless you've lost interest in D&D altogether. My guess for a 5e release date is 2015 give or take a couple years. They're still pretty deep into 4e.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-01, 08:36 PM
Honestly, the way WotC prints books pretty much forces you to buy the books you really want because down the road many will not be available, especially books that are of a more niche interest (like campaign settings, all of the Monster-con books, etc.). So buy what you really want and don't worry about the other books because you can always a) get in on the D&DI and b) there will always be a new edition released in the future.

Eh, there's always ebay and such. If you really want a book down the road, it'll be out there. Just as 3.5 didn't vanish when 4 came out, neither will 4 suddenly vanish(much as some wish it would). Dont fret overmuch about having to buy things right off, lest you never see them again.

EDIT: We can also assume that 2E really ran from 89 to 97 (i.e. 8 years), the last three years of 2E (97-2000) were spent developing 3E because TSR did not have a long term plan. Further, as time goes on we can see a direct trend where editions are released faster and faster (AD&D 1E lasted from 77 to 89 - 12 years; AD&D 2E lasted from 89 to 2000 - 11 years; D&D 3.x lasted from 2000 to 08 - 8 years).

I was going to mention this...This is even truer if you count 3.5 as a seperate edition, and look at the rate of book publishing. It feels like it just keeps getting faster.

Zeta Kai
2010-10-01, 08:53 PM
I think an edition will last about 8 years on the long side (the entire run of 3rd edition), 5 on the short side (the run of 3.5). 4E has been out for 2 years, so you're looking at 3 to 6 more years of 4E goodness.

Which means that:

4E will last for 5-7 years (ending in 2013-2015)
5E will last for 3-4 years
6E will last for 2 years
7E will last for 1 years
8E will last for 6 months
9E will last for 3 months
10E will last for 1 month
11E will last for 1 week
12E will last for 1 day
13E will last for 1 hour
14E will last for 10 minutes
15E will last for 2 minutes
16E will last for 45 seconds
17E will last for 12 seconds
18E will last for 7 seconds
19E will last for 3 seconds

...and 20th Edition will bring about the end of WotC, as the presenters on stage showing off 20E will be superimposed by the presenters of every future edition, all occupying the same space & melding into an explosive pink goo. I'd guess that we have until 2023 at the latest, if trends continue indefinitely.

:amused:

Xallace
2010-10-01, 10:08 PM
Which means that:

4E will last for 5-7 years (ending in 2013-2015)
5E will last for 3-4 years
6E will last for 2 years
7E will last for 1 years
8E will last for 6 months
9E will last for 3 months
10E will last for 1 month
11E will last for 1 week
12E will last for 1 day
13E will last for 1 hour
14E will last for 10 minutes
15E will last for 2 minutes
16E will last for 45 seconds
17E will last for 12 seconds
18E will last for 7 seconds
19E will last for 3 seconds

...and 20th Edition will bring about the end of WotC, as the presenters on stage showing off 20E will be superimposed by the presenters of every future edition, all occupying the same space & melding into an explosive pink goo. I'd guess that we have until 2023 at the latest, if trends continue indefinitely.

:amused:

Mayan calender's got nothin' on Zeta Kai.

137beth
2010-10-01, 10:37 PM
This. I would suggest buying what you want to play with. Unpublished stuff is always worth a look when it comes out, but I wouldn't assume it's inherently superior just because it's new.

Yes. In fact, 4e isn't necessarily better than 3.5 (I can't stand 4e).

@Zeta: seems like every company is coming out with stuff faster and faster. Wouldn't surprise me if we eventually had products lasting less than a minute:smallsmile:

The Glyphstone
2010-10-01, 11:00 PM
Zeta Kai wins +1 internet.

I am obligated, however, to remind people that the prohibition on edition wars still applies to editions that haven't been released, or even concieved of yet. So no flaming/trolling on the merits of 12.675 vs 15.82.

Gametime
2010-10-02, 12:46 AM

Huh. So the future of D&D is basically the ending to Final Fantasy VIII. Can't say I saw that one coming.

I am obligated, however, to remind people that the prohibition on edition wars still applies to editions that haven't been released, or even concieved of yet. So no flaming/trolling on the merits of 12.675 vs 15.82.

Psh, sounds like someone's a 17i+2 fanboy.

WitchSlayer
2010-10-02, 01:10 AM
Anyway, the point is, if you want to invest in 4e then go for it. With the Essentials books it's cheaper than before.

cdrcjsn
2010-10-02, 01:11 AM
Why are people assuming that there's even going to be a 5e?

The reason for new editions is to churn out new core books to generate income.

But with DDI gaining in popularity, I can see them leaving the print book trade entirely.

Everyone subscribed to DDI right now is effectively earning WotC about a book a month (assuming 40% wholesale distribution rate) without having to deal with distribution or inventory.

If WotC ever gets their digital initiative plans actually working, there might come a point where DDI will satisfy the need for constant income and future content will become similar to how MMORPGs create new content, via expansions that expand game play in new directions but use the same game engine.

DeltaEmil
2010-10-02, 03:17 AM
You can download all the actual content once, without having to pay longer for it. And the only reason to really subscribe for a longer period is that Wizards of the Coast still keeps pumping out books and stuff at least once per month.

There will be a time, where WotC won't know what to bring out anymore. They might have developed some new and more streamlined rules to play D&D, and that might sell too if people hear about it.
New books with new illustrations and new fancy rules will generate money. Also, they can still keep up the d&d insider-service, which by now they've shown that it works good enough.

There is always room for improvement and new ideas about creating a balanced, quick and easy to learn iconic ruleset to captivate newer generations who have wild fantasies... and lots of money.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-02, 04:11 AM
Because that's the way corporations do business.

future content will become similar to how MMORPGs create new content,
You mean things like Everquest II and Ultima Online II? Most MMORPGs eventually wind down, and a successor is made. WOW is a big exception here, not the general rule.

Felhammer
2010-10-02, 04:53 AM
Eh, there's always ebay and such. If you really want a book down the road, it'll be out there. Just as 3.5 didn't vanish when 4 came out, neither will 4 suddenly vanish(much as some wish it would). Dont fret overmuch about having to buy things right off, lest you never see them again.

eBay is definitely an option but... There's nothing quite like being the first person to crack open that book...

I was going to mention this...This is even truer if you count 3.5 as a seperate edition, and look at the rate of book publishing. It feels like it just keeps getting faster.

Realistically, that's happening with other games as well. The Internet (which allows people to discuss their game of choice non-stop 24/7) and the relentless pace of additional books creates an odd mix of boredom and book bloat that perpetuates the need for a new edition at much faster intervals than was the case 20 years ago.

D&D is D&D, no matter which edition you play but regardless, eventually people will get bored with the way a given system presents D&D. Just a fact of life.

FelixG
2010-10-02, 05:07 AM

Because WoTC needs moneys?

As soon as they are done milking the community for their current cash moneys with this edition they will plop out another one to make people buy a whole new set of stuff.

My money is on the fact that 5e when it comes will do what 4e and be 100% non backwards compatible just so they can freeze out old product and make people who want to play it buy new things all together.

ala planned obsolescence

TheEmerged
2010-10-02, 08:05 AM
You mean things like Everquest II and Ultima Online II? Most MMORPGs eventually wind down, and a successor is made. WOW is a big exception here, not the general rule.

And correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to recall EQ2 & UO2 never reached half the playerbase of their original.

As for Wow, as much as is changing in the next expansion, many of us feel it's almost going to be WoW2 in everything but name.

--------------------

As for the Essentials, I'm gearing up for my personal playtest of it soon. I'm going to run those five classes through the same 5 encounters in the DMG and see how they compare from a playability standpoint.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-02, 08:15 AM
And correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to recall EQ2 & UO2 never reached half the playerbase of their original.
I am unable to find any reliable figures on this matter. Then again, there aren't any public figures either on how big the playerbase is of the various editions of D&D.

As for Wow, as much as is changing in the next expansion, many of us feel it's almost going to be WoW2 in everything but name.
Yes, and some people feel that way about 4.4 or about the past few months of errata in general, and some other people feel that 4E is really not all that different from earlier editions. So the overall point is that there isn't a strong correlation between how a company labels a game and which "version" the public perceives it to be.

The same applies to software, really. The change between 1.0 and 2.0 of some program can be extremely minor, and the change between 1.6 and 1.7 can be a complete overhaul of everything. That's because marketing decides the label, and technical staff decides what the changes are.

Kaun
2010-10-02, 09:36 AM
when was there a UOII?

It never even got released did it?

FelixG
2010-10-02, 06:51 PM

As for Wow, as much as is changing in the next expansion, many of us feel it's

I can neither confirm or deny this (but god i loved Ultima Online /nostalgia)

but the new Star Wars game ( Star Wars: The Old Republic) will most likely blow its predecessor (Star Wars Galaxies) out of the water in terms of player base.