PDA

View Full Version : Elan's other siblings?

Jarin_G
2010-10-01, 04:23 PM
Number ten you say? I dout Elan and Nale are Tarquins only children. . . :smallamused:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-01, 04:33 PM
Number ten you say? I dout Elan and Nale are Tarquins only children. . . :smallamused:

Only ones who didn't meet a horrible end.

zimmerwald1915
2010-10-01, 04:42 PM
Perhaps the reason Mrs. Tarquins 2-9 had their unfortunate accidents was that Tarquin had eight unfortunate accident about six to eight months before they each did?

Swordpriest
2010-10-05, 08:54 AM
Well, you can also posit that Tarquin isn't too fertile. Either that, or it would just clutter things up too much introducing 14 other characters who have are destined to have no impact on the story, and thus they're deliberately overlooked (the theory which I believe to be to true, by the way). :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-05, 09:55 AM
:elan::elan::elan::elan: "Hey, Dad! This family reunion was a GREAT idea! All the step-brothers are getting together and forming a lute quartet!"
:nale: "Can I book the tour?"

blunk
2010-10-06, 12:24 AM
Well, you can also posit that Tarquin isn't too fertile.You kidding? Tarquin gets girls pregnant who weren't even there.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-10-06, 12:30 AM
You kidding? Tarquin gets girls pregnant who weren't even there.

Everyone who gets within 30 feet of him must make a Fort save or become pregnant. Being a male gives you a +4 on the save.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-06, 04:08 AM
Everyone who gets within 30 feet of him must make a Fort save or become pregnant. Being a male gives you a +4 on the save.

what would the DC on that save be? also +10 to the DC if he actually does the deed

Morph Bark
2010-10-06, 06:06 AM
what would the DC on that save be? also +10 to the DC if he actually does the deed

It doesn't matter because at least 5% of everyone who gets near him gets pregnant.

Even gods and Warforged.

And other constructs, undead and deathless.

And elementals.

And plants.

And oozes.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-06, 06:23 AM
It doesn't matter because at least 5% of everyone who gets near him gets pregnant.

i wonder what would happen if he went to a parenting class with already pregnant women

Ron Miel
2010-10-06, 08:25 AM
Wait til you see his half-brother Alen, and half-sister Lena.

Swordpriest
2010-10-06, 08:54 AM

That makes me wonder -- since in this world, the Rule of Funny and the rules of drama are constant, direct forces that act on reality -- is the number of siblings limited by the number of different combinations of "Elan" letters that will make sense? :smallwink:

Elna, Enla, Lane, Enal .... but stuff like Ealn doesn't sound right, so that may be out as a possibility .... :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-10-06, 09:02 AM
Nela? :smallamused:

Swordpriest
2010-10-06, 09:05 AM
Neal, too, for that matter. I don't know if Nael is too close to Nale, though.

blunk
2010-10-06, 11:33 AM
i wonder what would happen if he went to a parenting class with already pregnant womenFUN FACT: Tarquin's fourth wife was the inspiration for the so-called Russian Nesting Dolls!

rewinn
2010-10-06, 01:41 PM
That makes me wonder -- since in this world, the Rule of Funny and the rules of drama are constant, direct forces that act on reality -- is the number of siblings limited by the number of different combinations of "Elan" letters that will make sense? :smallwink:

Elna, Enla, Lane, Enal .... but stuff like Ealn doesn't sound right, so that may be out as a possibility .... :smallbiggrin:

We theorize Tarquin is systematically fathering and naming 4x3x2 = 24 children
(EDITTED to include all 24 combos)

Aeln
Aenl
Alen
Alne
Anel
Anle

Ealn
Eanl
Elan
Elna
Enal
Enla

Laen
Lane
Lean
Lena
Lnae
Lnea

Nael
Nale
Neal
Nela
Nlae
Nlea

... it's an interesting theory although the evidence for it is Lean ...

mskkid
2010-10-07, 08:54 AM

I actually have a cousin named Lena. Maybe I should ask my aunt some probing questions......

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-07, 09:12 AM
It appears that Tarquin's "dwarf ally" has done enough "spelunking" to have mapped all of Moria!

:smallamused:

Acrux
2010-10-07, 11:43 AM
I can't believe no one has used "Anel" yet. That would be a great name for Nale's newest sidekick!

Morph Bark
2010-10-07, 02:08 PM

You could always use accents to make them sound better. Nael without accents might sound exactly like Nale, but Naël wouldn't.

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-15, 04:49 PM
"To tell you the truth, I've been going out of my to prevent having any more children since I left your mother, on account of how Nale turned out." - Tarquin, strip 751

If he's telling the truth, there are no other siblings.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-10-15, 04:57 PM

Ya know, you don't have to SPOILER things that are already in the comic, killjoy.

FUN FACT: Tarquin's fourth wife was the inspiration for the so-called Russian Nesting Dolls!

Babies havin' babies havin' babies havin' babies havin' babies! The chaos, the mayhem...until one man came with a plastic rectangle...I mean, LAPTOP COMPUTER!!!

Ron Miel
2010-10-15, 05:30 PM
"To tell you the truth, I've been going out of my to prevent having any more children since I left your mother, on account of how Nale turned out." - Tarquin, strip 751

Well, there could be older siblings, from a previous marriage. Who ever said Elan's mother was the first.

Also, Tarquin wouldn't know how Nale "turned out" until years later. He could have had some other kids in the meantime.

Yendor
2010-10-15, 05:49 PM
Well, there could be older siblings, from a previous marriage. Who ever said Elan's mother was the first.

Uh... he did? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)

Ron Miel
2010-10-15, 07:21 PM
Okay, fair enough. I goofed.

Welknair
2010-10-16, 12:11 AM
Well, question answered. "Mysterious Circumstances" Riiiiight. :smalleek:

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-16, 04:53 AM
um first wife? what about girlfriends? maybe he knocked up one of his girlfriends before Elan's mum.

KillItWithFire
2010-10-20, 03:42 PM
It seems as of strip 751 this question has been answered. Interesting disscussion in the mean-time though. However this does beg the question if all the "mysterious circumstnaces" involved in the death of Tarquin's wives are related to them having become pregnant. :smallconfused: It didn't exactly look like Tarquin was preventing additional children through abstinence.

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-21, 10:06 AM
Ya know, you don't have to SPOILER things that are already in the comic, killjoy.

I'm fairly new here. I'm not entirely clear yet on what all usually gets put in spoilers, so I figured I'd use them for a quote from the latest strip.

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-21, 10:27 AM
It seems as of strip 751 this question has been answered. Interesting disscussion in the mean-time though. However this does beg the question if all the "mysterious circumstnaces" involved in the death of Tarquin's wives are related to them having become pregnant. :smallconfused: It didn't exactly look like Tarquin was preventing additional children through abstinence.

Ah, Tarquin! Lawful enough to marry ladies he "deflowers", but evil enough to remove them under "mysterious circumstances"... frequently. Tarquin wasn't preventing illegitimate children through abstinence; he did it through serial marriage.

thubby
2010-10-22, 02:12 PM

considering how funny we've already gotten with the name fiasco (i cant recall the number, but nale nails not-nale etc.) it's totally an option.

Turalisj
2010-10-22, 03:16 PM

Anel? Though, that one might be going too far....

thubby
2010-10-22, 04:18 PM
Anel? Though, that one might be going too far....

it would work with a long e.

maxon
2010-10-22, 04:42 PM

Even gods and Warforged.

And other constructs, undead and deathless.

And elementals.

And plants.

And oozes.

What about O-Chul?

Turalisj
2010-10-22, 04:44 PM
O-Chul's so badass that if he and Tarquin were in the same room together, the sheer amount of awesomeness would cause the world to implode.

Hence why the gods have set up that those two would never even know about each other, much less be able to be in the same area.

thubby
2010-10-22, 04:59 PM
What about O-Chul?

unstoppable force vs unmovable object?
normally they destroy each other, but since o'chul is indestructible...

The Succubus
2010-10-23, 05:57 AM
Can you imagine what effect a child of Tarquin and O'chul would have on the female libido?

DwarvenExodus
2010-10-23, 06:13 AM
Can you imagine what effect a child of Tarquin and O'chul would have on the female libido?

Tarquin X O'chul X Chuck Norris :smalleek:

Morph Bark
2010-10-24, 05:43 AM
Tarquin X O'chul X Chuck Norris :smalleek:

Silly dwarf, Chuck Norris doesn't exist in the OOTSverse. O'chuls O'chulness roundhouse paladin'd him out the multiverse the yoctosecond he tried to come in. :smalltongue:

Admittably though, an encounter between Tarquin and O'chul would no doubt be awesome.

No wait, rephrase:

AWESOME

Asta Kask
2010-10-24, 06:04 AM
Henry VIII had 6 wives (I think...) and three children, so many wives does not equal many children.

Of course, he may have had an astronomical number of bastards as well.

hamishspence
2010-10-24, 06:19 AM
Possible. Still, he's sometimes described as having more wives than mistresses- though that might simply apply to "officially recognized mistresses".

One of Henry VIII's better known illegitimate offspring was Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond- who has featured in various novels.

cho_j
2010-10-27, 12:11 PM

Forget Tarquin's presence impregnating people, the mere MENTION of his an O-Chul's child would do it. In fact, the act of thinking about thinking about mentioning him would do it. And it would be at least twins.

KillItWithFire
2010-10-27, 03:54 PM
Forget Tarquin's presence impregnating people, the mere MENTION of his an O-Chul's child would do it. In fact, the act of thinking about thinking about mentioning him would do it. And it would be at least twins.

Wait.... So I'm pregnant now?

LOTRfan
2010-10-27, 07:28 PM
:smallconfused: Apparently, yes you are.

Turalisj
2010-10-27, 07:41 PM
But...how...why...wha....-head explodes-

LOTRfan
2010-10-27, 07:44 PM
Save your sanity. Don't ask.

MReav
2010-11-20, 07:07 PM
You know, there is a perfectly valid way for Elan to have half-siblings.

Who says Elan's mom has to remain celibate?

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 07:17 PM
You know, there is a perfectly valid way for Elan to have half-siblings.

Who says Elan's mom has to remain celibate?

True. And according to WoTC's Save My Game: Lawful and Chaotic, Chaotic characters tend not to commit to exclusive relationships anyway:

Save My Game: Lawful and Chaotic (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050325a)

You don't get tied up in exclusive relationships because they could hold you back from your destiny -- which might be right around the corner. You are always ready to try new techniques because you believe that experience is the best teacher, and you are always open to discovery.