PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Item Question

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-01, 06:02 PM
Unimportant history: So the party that I'm working with/co-DM'ing, first we had a lay on hands paladin healer, which magic jarred into a scout (we also needed a trap monkey) when we got a Cleric. Then the guy who was playing the cleric moved away, and now the party is healerless.

So what I'd been thinking of for a replacement healer is an intelligent magic item (probably a pendant) with class levels in Healer that scales to the PC's levels, saying that it was once living, and got turned into a pendant because that was the only way that some other NPC that was adventuring with it could bring it back.
Thoughts/Comments? Should I reduce the number of spells per day it can cast so the players don't have a near bottomless healing battery? Should I lower the amount of experience that the players get because it's being shared with the item?

Tharck
2010-10-01, 06:13 PM
Just have it be an intelligent magic bag that is also a bag of holding and incredibly greedy. The item has the capability to craft healing potions, and cast healing spells. If they want healing they have to pay for it - sometimes it might charge more in the heat of combat. The item is actually linked to a wizard someplace that collects all the monies that is placed inside of the bag.

Flickerdart
2010-10-01, 06:59 PM
Just drop them a wand of Cure Light Wounds, or some Healing Belts.

Marnath
2010-10-01, 07:24 PM
The item is actually linked to a wizard someplace that collects all the monies that is placed inside of the bag.

...Wizards can't cast healing spells.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-01, 08:11 PM
That's technically true, but they can cast mindrape, and clerics can cast healing spells.

ericgrau
2010-10-01, 08:27 PM
The wizard isn't casting them, the cleric or healer trapped in the item is. They teamed up. The wizard handles the extra-dimensional transport, defense and investment of acquired funds. One day the cleric or healer will get turned back and collect his share.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-01, 08:31 PM
The wizard isn't casting them, the cleric or healer trapped in the item is. They teamed up. The wizard handles the extra-dimensional transport, defense and investment of acquired funds. One day the cleric or healer will get turned back and collect his share.

That's what we tell them, anyway.