PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Monk//Soulblade Gestalt?

Marnath
2010-10-01, 07:13 PM
So i've heard a lot about how monk is underpowered, and I hear the same thing about soulblade. My question is, what tier would it be if I gestalted them and called it a single class? This would be for a theoretical non-gestalt campaign, as a/an NPC/order of npcs. Lets assume the players would be of medium ability at character op.

Reynard
2010-10-01, 07:23 PM
There is nothing that Soulknife gives that a Monk can make use of, and very little vice-versa.

Mind Blades can't be flurried without a PrC.
They both have the same BAB.
It doesn't fix the MAD of the Monk.

It'd result in either a normal Monk with slightly better HP and some more misc abilities he'll never use, or a Soulknife with slightly better saves and some misc abilities he'll never use.

AslanCross
2010-10-01, 07:24 PM
It's soulknife, for the record.

The thing is, neither of them fix the problems of the other, which pretty much ruins the point of gestalt.

Soulknife: "I has a majik wepn"
Monk: "I dun need majik wepn"

You can probably pull off some cute and fun tricks once in a while, but Monk benefits much more off Gestalting with Psychic Warrior (Wis synergy), or Gestalting Soulknife with Swordsage (so you can at least do cool things with the sword nobody can ever take away from you) or Monk with Swordsage. (Again, Wis synergy, but you can just use an unarmed swordsage.)

It's like multiplying 1 by 1. And you could just gestalt a Soulbound Weapon Psychic Warrior with Swordsage and be awesome.

Marnath
2010-10-01, 07:27 PM
Oh, I was thinking you could apply the mindblade to your unarmed attacks.:smallredface:
Thanks for the other suggestions, though. Should help. :smallsmile:

Snake-Aes
2010-10-01, 07:50 PM
Oh, I was thinking you could apply the mindblade to your unarmed attacks.:smallredface:
Thanks for the other suggestions, though. Should help. :smallsmile:

There should be a feat for that, but then again so can a monk use a magic weapon for 1d6+str+5 and ignore the 2d10+str instead. 2d10 is significantly better than 1d6, yes, but it isn't worth an entire class. A monk//ardent or monk//psychic warrior is amazing, but that's almost entirely the ardent/psychic warrior's credit.

Eldariel
2010-10-01, 07:55 PM
There should be a feat for that, but then again so can a monk use a magic weapon for 1d6+str+5 and ignore the 2d10+str instead. 2d10 is significantly better than 1d6, yes, but it isn't worth an entire class. A monk//ardent or monk//psychic warrior is amazing, but that's almost entirely the ardent/psychic warrior's credit.

Honestly, non-gestalt Tashalatora Monk 2/Soulbound Weaponry Psy War 18 is more or less the same character except competent.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-01, 08:13 PM
Honestly, non-gestalt Tashalatora Monk 2/Soulbound Weaponry Psy War 18 is more or less the same character except competent.As is Psychic Warrior 20 with tashalatora, if you want to be an ass about the rules.

ToB tends to do well with the passive classes, like Incarnate and Monk. Pulling a gig with Tornado throw and a speed of 120' surprised our group rather hard.

Soulknife... I recommend the pathfinder soulknife. Guys did a fine job with it.

Marnath
2010-10-01, 10:53 PM
As is Psychic Warrior 20 with tashalatora, if you want to be an ass about the rules.

ToB tends to do well with the passive classes, like Incarnate and Monk. Pulling a gig with Tornado throw and a speed of 120' surprised our group rather hard.

Soulknife... I recommend the pathfinder soulknife. Guys did a fine job with it.

Is it on their SRD? I don't own any of the books.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-01, 11:19 PM
Is it on their SRD? I don't own any of the books.

It's still beta (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewforum/f=2.html), albeit at the last stages of development (making the book look shiny)