PDA

View Full Version : Ways to possess things? (3.5)

Mystic Muse
2010-10-02, 02:22 AM
I'm just curious if there are rules for possession in 3.5. I'm the DM and wanted to use a concept based off an enemy from a video game and want a response in case my players ask "how is this thing capable of possession?"

I won't be possessing any of the players.

Gorgondantess
2010-10-02, 02:26 AM
I'm just curious if there are rules for possession in 3.5. I'm the DM and wanted to use a concept based off an enemy from a video game and want a response in case my players ask "how is this thing capable of possession?"

I won't be possessing any of the players.

Magic Jar/a ghost's Malevolence.

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-02, 02:27 AM
Fiend of Possession from Fiend Folio... also gives you a lot of control over who/what you're possessing.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-02, 02:28 AM
It's not really a ghost but it does have spellcasting ability and could probably qualify for fiend of possession. Thanks.

Alleine
2010-10-02, 02:28 AM
Fiend of Possession in Fiend Folio is a PrC that lets you do it. I believe there are also rules for possession in one of the Fiendish Codices and the BoVD.

FelixG
2010-10-02, 05:18 AM
i believe (dont have my books on me) that there is some stuff in the ghostwalk book that can allow you to possess things

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-02, 09:10 AM
I believe there are also rules for possession in one of the Fiendish Codices and the BoVD.

There are rules for demonic possession in FC1: Hordes of the Abyss.

Prime32
2010-10-02, 11:47 AM
The possession rules are also presented in the Eberron Campaign Setting. Adding the possession ability to a fiend increases its CR by 2, but there are HD and Cha requirements (which could be ignored in your case).

Fiend of Possession grants those abilities over the course of 6 levels, starting with "Enhance item" and ending with "Control creature".