PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 and/or 4e] Warforged Humor

Zaq
2010-10-02, 03:30 AM
So, the party in the game I'm currently running has decided that the way to get a group of Warforged to help them out is to play a massive practical joke on a certain someone (another Warforged) that these 'forged can't stand. So, when one of them asked me "what is Warforged humor like?" I was kind of at a loss... I really wanted to have a good answer, but I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head. So, I pose the same question... what is Warforged humor like, and what distinguishes it from any other culture's humor? I don't think that there's really anything printed on this, but fun is more fun when you make it up anyway. Any thoughts?

Coidzor
2010-10-02, 03:35 AM
Bloody and related to war? Artificially bawdy?

I mean, that's most of what they'd've heard in the trenches if they even had interactions with living things other than to make them not living.

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-02, 03:39 AM
-2 to charisma means that their humor is likely to be 5% worse than ours, if they even have the concept.
I'd imagine them to have some xenophobic jokes about "those fleshies," biological reproduction, "fleshy lovers," and maybe some bad jokes about war, as it's the largest part of their history.

Coidzor
2010-10-02, 03:46 AM
Don't forget poorly understood parroting of others jokes. That's just classic robot right there.

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-02, 03:48 AM
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because it was made or organic matter.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-02, 03:51 AM
If they are anything like Data, they are either incredibly awkward or awesome but unappreciated.

Rowsen
2010-10-02, 03:54 AM
DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE HUMAN WHO TRIED TO JUMP TO THE MOON
IT IS FUNNY BECAUSE IT IS NOT LOGICAL HA HA HA HA

Or something like that.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-02, 04:05 AM
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because it was made or organic matter.
"I do not see how being composed of organic matter could be considered the sole way to drive an entity to move to the other side of a well trodden path. After all, most Golems, as well Elementals of all descriptions, can 'cross roads' without being composed of any organic matter. Furthermore, corpses, of chickens or other beings, are composed of organic matter, yet can not cross roads.
Unless carried.
Or converted into a zombie or animated skeleton.
One must then ask whether a zombie is considered a corpse or a being.
Furthermore . . ."

Poor Confused Warforged.

FelixG
2010-10-02, 05:16 AM
I'd imagine them to have some xenophobic jokes about "those fleshies," biological reproduction, "fleshy lovers," and maybe some bad jokes about war, as it's the largest part of their history.

This.

Most of their short lives have been involving war or war like activities so i am guessing their jokes would be centered around that.

But more worldly warforged would probobly have as diverse a humor as any normal (read: real) person... I find all different kinds of humor funny, though i am sure there are people in the very building im in who would find my humor quite odd.

What i am trying to say is that a sense of humor really comes down to the individual and not really the particular race. What is really important is to ask yourself what these particular warforged did in their pasts, THAT more than anything will help to build upon their sense of humor, thus war jokes. Making fleshlings as well if they are rac...er...species-ist?

Morph Bark
2010-10-02, 05:19 AM
Don't forget poorly understood parroting of others jokes. That's just classic robot right there.

Or like a lot of young kids. Gods know that I still remember how awfully bad my brother was at it.

Spiryt
2010-10-02, 05:24 AM
Meatbag crosses the street.
A car runs over him.

Ketchup!

Coidzor
2010-10-02, 05:25 AM
Or like a lot of young kids. Gods know that I still remember how awfully bad my brother was at it.

Oh gods. Now this thread and the cuteforged thread have combined to give me the worst mental image ever.

Warforged Children. :smallyuk:

Though, as an aside, there's always refluffing HK-47's assassin spiel to just, y'know, elegantly brutal (or was it brutally elegant?) killing. Most of the actual humor would be preserved, IIRC.

Morph Bark
2010-10-02, 07:34 AM
Oh gods. Now this thread and the cuteforged thread have combined to give me the worst mental image ever.

They already exist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.I._Artificial_Intelligence)! :smalleek:

Sliver
2010-10-02, 08:06 AM
Their humor depends on the fluff you given them. Warforged aren't robots in most worlds. They aren't computers that see things through ifs and ors, and they aren't just fighting machines, mostly, even if they were made for that purpose originally. They are living, not breathing, human looking metalic beings. They may not be much different from other humans in one campaign world, where they are just an odd kind of Daleks in a different campaign world where their humor is "I SHALL NOT EXTERMINATE YOU."

This matter is very important to me, because.. You see... I am a warforged. I tried to disguise this under a disguise of a creature from an unrelated card game, but people in this thread hurt my feelings. You sons of fleshie things.

Christopher K.
2010-10-02, 08:21 AM
Well, from the metagaming perspective, I'd say they take on similar dispositions to existing robots in fiction. Marvin, Bender, and Bass all come to mind right away.

oxybe
2010-10-02, 10:08 AM
i can just see the Lord of Blades' comedy night:

[OBSERVATION ABOUT FLESHLING BEHAVIOR]
[HUMOROUS COMPARISON TO COMMON MAMMAL]
[COMPARE TO SUPERIOR WARFORGED MANNERISM]
[LAUGH TRACK]

Marnath
2010-10-02, 10:21 AM
I can't really think of anything. All of the practical jokes I can think of from real life either wouldn't bother him or would just make him attack you. As much as I like warforged, I don't really see humor as being a big thing for them.

Prime32
2010-10-02, 10:56 AM
I imagine it would be something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6tvlewO3c

Marnath
2010-10-02, 10:59 AM
I don't get it. o.o

...That's the point, isn't it.:smallsigh:

Project_Mayhem
2010-10-02, 11:26 AM
If they are anything like Data, they are either incredibly awkward or awesome but unappreciated.

Take my Worf

Yeah that episode was bad

Volthawk
2010-10-02, 11:38 AM

Warforged Scouts?

Morph Bark
2010-10-02, 12:33 PM
Take my Worf

...now I'm thinking about Worforged. I am... amused.

NEO|Phyte
2010-10-02, 12:50 PM
i can just see the Lord of Blades' comedy night:

[OBSERVATION ABOUT FLESHLING BEHAVIOR]
[HUMOROUS COMPARISON TO COMMON MAMMAL]
[COMPARE TO SUPERIOR WARFORGED MANNERISM]
[LAUGH TRACK]

Fleshling spy detected!

LibraryOgre
2010-10-02, 02:11 PM
For my warforged, his humor was simply bizarre... he'd spent some centuries soaking in Far Realm radiation, however, so that's to be expected. Lots of out-of-context references to things he remembered, that made sense to him at the time.

Hal
2010-10-02, 03:54 PM
If you're thinking of practical jokes to play, we need to ask a question, first: Can you dismantle a Warforged without destroying him? That is, will the parts remain functional?

For example, you could remove his hands while he is "unconscious" (do Warforged need to "sleep"? I can't remember) and replace them with silly items, like feather dusters or non-pointy utensils.

Another idea would be to remove his head and hide it in a container somewhere. If he can still control his body, imagine the difficulty he'll have figuring out how to get back in one piece.

Prime32
2010-10-02, 04:08 PM
Nope, that would kill him.

FoE
2010-10-02, 04:11 PM
Warforged are just like any other being. They laugh at the same things that humans do, though perhaps some of the dirtier jokes are lost on them.

What you should really ask is "what is humor in Eberron like"?

Coidzor
2010-10-02, 05:06 PM
They already exist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.I._Artificial_Intelligence)! :smalleek:

....http://images.memegenerator.net/Angry-Marine/ImageMacro/2888471/MediumThumbnail.jpg?instanceText=BABBY-WARFORGED-THATS-EXTRA-HERETICAL

...now I'm thinking about Worforged. I am... amused.

This... Almost placates my earlier RAEG.

What you should really ask is "what is humor in Eberron like"?

Well for gnomes, instead of setting your underpants on fire in a practical joke... They kill you. In your sleep. And I might be wrong, but I think they either strew the body parts across the borders of their place or no one ever sees them again.

I hear this is a guaranteed laugh riot, though no one but other gnomes gets to witness it.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-10-02, 05:43 PM
I always pictured warforged jokes to poke fun at how hopelessly squishy their former masters are, but then again I may have been playing Dragon Age Origins for too long.

But I like the idea of a warforged reciting limericks about slaughtering pigeons in creative and invasive manners.

Coidzor
2010-10-02, 05:47 PM
But I like the idea of a warforged reciting limericks about slaughtering pigeons in creative and invasive manners.

Pigeons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY), you say? :smallamused:

Zhalath
2010-10-02, 11:20 PM
I'd think they would be short and other people wouldn't get them. RoE explains them as being short and to the point, and all about combat and war, viewing everything in those terms.

"Army moves forward. Total wipe."
"Reason?"
"No armor."
"Hahahah."

Actual practical jokes seem like they'd be like really simple, like hiding things or moving them around when the target isn't looking.