PDA

View Full Version : To buff, ah to live!

SillyBee
2010-10-02, 08:20 AM
So I have resolved that the next character I play will be the ultimate buffer.

The question next to be answered is what class would best facilitate that role?

I'm considering cleric, but also wondering if bard isn't a good choice?

Anyone want to chime in on their best buffer ideas?

Black Knight
2010-10-02, 08:27 AM
War Weaver is the best buffer class, IMO.

Tyger
2010-10-02, 08:28 AM
So I have resolved that the next character I play will be the ultimate buffer.

The question next to be answered is what class would best facilitate that role?

I'm considering cleric, but also wondering if bard isn't a good choice?

Anyone want to chime in on their best buffer ideas?

+1 for Bard.

Inspire Courage, when truly maximized, is almost obscene. It will make the DM cry a little.

Inspire Competence sucks, but its still useful once or twice a campaign. Yeah, its that bad.

Inspire Greatness is truly awesome.

On top of that, a tonne of great buffing spells available to pure bards, and if you PrC (Sublime Chord, I'm looking at you), then you get access to all the Wiz/Sorc spells too.

Bard is the class that your party doesn't realize is great, until you aren't there for a session - then they see just how much you contribute to their ability to create mass carnage!

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-02, 08:29 AM
Artificer can be a great buffer, depending on items and build, Archivist is good as well, since they can get more spells than the cleric, and if I remember correctly their Dark Knowledge can affect the entire party (right, wrong? AFB). Wizard are good as well, as you probably know.

true_shinken
2010-10-02, 08:34 AM
+1 to War Weaver.

Douglas
2010-10-02, 08:42 AM
Bard 9/War Weaver 1/Sublime Chord 1/War Weaver 4/Abjurant Champion 5 is probably one of the best single-character buff-focused builds. Take Song of the Heart and Snowflake Wardance, pick up a Vest of Legends and Badge of Valor, your choice of masterwork instruments (Complete Adventurer) and maybe Lasting Inspiration, and go to town. +5 Inspire Courage, multi-target Inspire Greatness for extra bonuses, dump 4 buff spells on the entire party (even if they're normally single target) as a move action at the start of each fight, pick your buffs from both the Bard and Sor/Wiz lists, 9th level spells, free quickened abjurations for more buffing while you fight, and so on. Add Words of Creation and Dragonfire Inspiration if you think that's not enough.

ranagrande
2010-10-02, 08:43 AM
Bard 8/Apostle of Peace 2/Sublime Chord 2/Mystic Theurge 8

true_shinken
2010-10-02, 08:55 AM
Bard 9/War Weaver 1/Sublime Chord 1/War Weaver 4/Abjurant Champion 5 is probably one of the best single-character buff-focused builds. Take Song of the Heart and Snowflake Wardance, pick up a Vest of Legends and Badge of Valor, your choice of masterwork instruments (Complete Adventurer) and maybe Lasting Inspiration, and go to town. +5 Inspire Courage, multi-target Inspire Greatness for extra bonuses, dump 4 buff spells on the entire party (even if they're normally single target) as a move action at the start of each fight, pick your buffs from both the Bard and Sor/Wiz lists, 9th level spells, free quickened abjurations for more buffing while you fight, and so on. Add Words of Creation and Dragonfire Inspiration if you think that's not enough.

I want to say it's a late bloomer, but it's really not. You just focus on IC optimization on the lower levels then you focus on spell buffing at higher levels.
Looks solid.