PDA

View Full Version : How to make a PDF?

Dr.Epic
2010-10-02, 01:59 PM
*what the title says*

I have a bunch of images and I'd like to put them in an easily viewable format such as a PDF. I have some PDFs on my computer, problem is I have no clue how to make one. Any tips/instructions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Trobby
2010-10-02, 02:03 PM
This site (http://www.freepdfconvert.com/) is pretty good, but has a limit to how many you can convert at a time.

Or you can try the free trial here. (http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx)

Elder Tsofu
2010-10-02, 02:03 PM
Suggestions:
Use the pay-version of adobe or look through your image-editing programs and see if they can save in .pdf (inkscape can do this at least)

No expert, but that's what I would do.

Prime32
2010-10-02, 02:10 PM
Download CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) to convert any file to a PDF.

OpenOffice can also export as PDF.

Thajocoth
2010-10-02, 04:53 PM
I have PrimoPDF. It's free. It installs as a printer, only it prints to a file instead of a page.

factotum
2010-10-03, 01:02 AM
I'll add my vote for CutePDF--it does a darned good job.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-03, 02:57 PM
I've tried PrimoPDF and saving files as a PDF but they didn't work for me. I'll try the CutePDF and let you know how that works.

factotum
2010-10-03, 03:24 PM
I've tried PrimoPDF and saving files as a PDF but they didn't work for me.

When you say "saving files as a PDF" what do you mean? CutePDF (and PrimoPDF as well, judging from what Thajocoth said) install as printers--you don't "Save as" to produce the PDF, you print the document to the PDF printer that got installed.

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 08:19 PM
When you say "saving files as a PDF" what do you mean? CutePDF (and PrimoPDF as well, judging from what Thajocoth said) install as printers--you don't "Save as" to produce the PDF, you print the document to the PDF printer that got installed.

All pdf makers do. Adobe as well (My mom has that one.) That's just how pdf makers work.

Once one's installed, it's not File -> Save As. It's File -> Print. Select the pdf maker you chose as your printer.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-03, 08:32 PM
I'll add my vote for CutePDF--it does a darned good job.

I almost read that as CthulhuPDF. If it doesn't already exist, it should. :smallamused:

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 08:43 PM
I almost read that as CthulhuPDF. If it doesn't already exist, it should. :smallamused:

It's not very useful though... It converts your document into a maddening image that saps you of your sanity when you try to read it.

factotum
2010-10-04, 01:21 AM
It's not very useful though... It converts your document into a maddening image that saps you of your sanity when you try to read it.

You've read our internal business communications, then? :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-04, 01:38 AM
All pdf makers do. Adobe as well (My mom has that one.) That's just how pdf makers work.

Once one's installed, it's not File -> Save As. It's File -> Print. Select the pdf maker you chose as your printer.

Ah! Thank you. That would have been helpful. Also, thanks to everyone who suggested CutePDF. Now that I know what I'm doing it'll come in handy.

Perhaps, but for the document I'm reading (a visual narrative that only exists are files on my computer) this is the easiest way for me to read them.

Killer Angel
2010-10-04, 02:11 AM
All pdf makers do.

pretty much.

I like Acrobat distiller (or similar things, such as pdf creator).
Practically, you install a virtual printer, that you can select with any program you're using with the print command, and instead of printing effectively the image, they create the pdf that you can save.

Thajocoth
2010-10-04, 02:34 PM
You've read our internal business communications, then? :smalltongue:

Of course I have. And they have made me insane... Being insane is half the battle!

Perhaps, but for the document I'm reading (a visual narrative that only exists are files on my computer) this is the easiest way for me to read them.

Actually, I was talking about CthulhuPDF with that statement. Printing out a maddening image similar to your work that will drive anyone who reads it into insanity would not be useful. Creating an ordinary pdf image via CutePDF, PrimoPDF, Adobe Writer, ect... has plenty of uses.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-04, 02:37 PM
Actually, I was talking about CthulhuPDF with that statement. Printing out a maddening image similar to your work that will drive anyone who reads it into insanity would not be useful. Creating an ordinary pdf image via CutePDF, PrimoPDF, Adobe Writer, ect... has plenty of uses.

I'm not printing them out. I only reading them on my computer.

Thajocoth
2010-10-04, 02:39 PM
I'm not printing them out. I only reading them on my computer.

A - You're printing to a file. That's still a form of printing.
B - Read the whole paragraph, not just the first few words of the second sentence. Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll had made a post earlier regarding a CthulhuPDF application.

Keld Denar
2010-10-04, 02:52 PM
CthulhuPDF

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/texplainthejoke.jpg

Thajocoth
2010-10-04, 02:56 PM
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/texplainthejoke.jpg

I didn't explain it. I pointed at it. With words.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-04, 06:07 PM
It's ok Thajacoth. I laughed. :smallwink: