PDA

View Full Version : nwn 2!

Pages : 1 [2]

Archonic Energy
2006-11-27, 01:40 PM
If the AI in NWN2 is "comparatively brilliant," then the AI in Oblivion must be bloody awful. I honestly can't speak for myself, but everything I've heard about Oblivion states to the contrary.

well in NWN2 your "allies" don't run into your sword... and then attack you for hitting them

but the AI is pretty dire.

Crazy Owl
2006-11-27, 02:10 PM
Anyone wan't to do the Origional Campaign? I'm terrible at playing NWN games by myself and the bots don't help much.

Tekar
2006-11-27, 02:34 PM
Don't trust anything you hear about Oblivion, I wasted €50 by doing so.

But on topic: some great quests in NWN2, it's been a long time since I played such a decent RPG. For wonder I'm even starting to get a bit optimistical about the future of the genre again.

The Evil Thing
2006-11-27, 03:39 PM
If the AI in NWN2 is "comparatively brilliant," then the AI in Oblivion must be bloody awful. I honestly can't speak for myself, but everything I've heard about Oblivion states to the contrary.

I love NWN2. I'm glad I bought it. But the AI is dreadful (especially companion AI, which I had to turn off), and I'm waiting desperately till they patch it or improve it in an EP.
That was my point exactly. The AI is utterly dire and this (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060327) is not far off in the slightest, unfortunately. Oblivion is the only game where I actively dread having to work with NPCs. In NWN2 you can turn off spellcasting so trigger-happy Qara won't lob fireballs at you whenever a CR1 goblin pops his head up. In fact, it's quite feasible to keep the non-fighters on puppet mode and chuck in a spell or two where necessary. The AI in my opinion is no worse than in BG2 so I'm not terribly fussed about it.

Crazy Owl
2006-11-27, 06:12 PM
Never seen them run into a wall but they do run into attacks a lot.

DeathQuaker
2006-11-27, 06:17 PM
That was my point exactly. The AI is utterly dire and this (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060327) is not far off in the slightest, unfortunately. Oblivion is the only game where I actively dread having to work with NPCs. In NWN2 you can turn off spellcasting so trigger-happy Qara won't lob fireballs at you whenever a CR1 goblin pops his head up. In fact, it's quite feasible to keep the non-fighters on puppet mode and chuck in a spell or two where necessary. The AI in my opinion is no worse than in BG2 so I'm not terribly fussed about it.

Wow. Duly noted, as I was thinking about picking up that game. That's scary.

I turned off the AI for all my companions in NWN2. Khelgar keeps running waaaaay towards enemies in the distance and Elanee keeps changing shape, etc. otherwise. But that you can control them completely is nice in and of itself. If you're gonna have a crappy AI, at least make it optional.

ray53208
2006-11-27, 08:16 PM
so NO ONE else is having any issues with lag?

this game is virtually unplayable!

Dispozition
2006-11-27, 08:25 PM

I'm running the game on just about full everything...The only time it lags is when My mages feel like punding out a few fire spells at the same time and someones using a fire enchted at this point...

When it's in mundane situations, it runs just fine, although I don't know how to get the fps counter showing...Which is annoying me no end.

I would advise cheching that your graphics card is compatible with the game and that you have enough ram. Also, turning down all the graphical settings to their lowest would be advisable...

Crazy Owl
2006-11-28, 02:55 AM

Havent lagged at all and I'm on high quality for nearly everything.

ray53208
2006-11-28, 04:14 AM
my card is fine and should be more than capable of handling this game. im not the only person having major MAJOR lag issues. from what i see online about 80% of people have that problem. including more than a few reviewers.

i got the game as a gift for my birthday and it just sucks that i cant even tell my friends that i enjoy it... because its unplayble.

Dispozition
2006-11-28, 04:42 AM
Well...My computer doesn't even have the optimum stats to play the game, but I have no major lag issues...

Tekar
2006-11-28, 04:48 AM
I have only a decent PC:
Pentium 3Ghz
2 Gb RAM
GeForce 7600 GS

And I barely have any lag, I kept the settings the way they started and only every once in a while my character lags (I click him to go somewhere, first he doesn't do anything and then he's suddenly there) but I only had it happen about 5 times and I'm at the beginning of act III.

Ambrogino
2006-11-28, 07:48 AM
Do you have anything running in the background ray? Mine runs smooth as silk on a not exactly top spec machine unless I have itunes open (not necessarrilly even running) in the background in which case it gets real jerky. Which is a shame, as I normally turn off the music in games and run my own.

DeathQuaker
2006-11-28, 07:52 AM
my card is fine and should be more than capable of handling this game. im not the only person having major MAJOR lag issues. from what i see online about 80% of people have that problem. including more than a few reviewers.

I wouldn't say 80%. Certainly there are people with that problem, but I'd say the majority of people are getting the game to run relatively okay.

This is all obvious, but, make sure you have the latest driver for your graphics card. Make sure you have enough RAM.

Turn off shadows and water.

AND, I will note, most people who've reported lag problems noted that the biggest problem seemed to be at the beginning of the game, oddly enough. Once you get out of West Harbor, your performance should improve.

If all else fails, patch 1.03 comes out this week. Wait till it comes out of beta, and download it. That's supposed to fix frame rate and other performance issues.

Crazy Owl
2006-11-28, 10:25 AM
my card is fine and should be more than capable of handling this game. I'm not the only person having major MAJOR lag issues. from what i see online about 80% of people have that problem. including more than a few reviewers.

i got the game as a gift for my birthday and it just sucks that i cant even tell my friends that i enjoy it... because its unplayable.

As you said that it reminded me of one of my maths teachers most stupid joke she had heard and used it in about half her lessons. 90% of statistics are made up on the spot...
Any way where are you getting that from? I haven't read a single review complaining about lag and on the NWN2 forums out of the many problems complained I haven't seen many about lag.

Sholos
2006-11-28, 10:49 AM
I have only a decent PC:
Pentium 3Ghz
2 Gb RAM
GeForce 7600 GS

And I barely have any lag, I kept the settings the way they started and only every once in a while my character lags (I click him to go somewhere, first he doesn't do anything and then he's suddenly there) but I only had it happen about 5 times and I'm at the beginning of act III.

That's what you consider only "decent"?! Man, that looks real good to me.

The Evil Thing
2006-11-30, 03:14 PM
Meh, seems pretty decent to me. It's a couple years old now, for sure. :smalltongue:

Just to contribute something meaningful to this discussion, make sure XFire isn't running when the game starts as it butchers framerates something awful. Water reflections can be an issue but they're not the ultimate demon of lag that people make them out to be.

Case in point: I ran XFire then NWN2, put all the settings to minimum and the lag was unbearable. I turned off XFire and restarted the game, put some settings to max, others about mid-way and the game ran very smoothly.

I have 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM and ATI X850. 'tis mine olde computer.

Mick_the_Rogue
2006-12-09, 08:47 PM
I noticed that when you got the latest patch, the game runs much more smoothly, at least for my computer

DeathQuaker
2006-12-11, 08:49 PM
Indeed. Patch 1.03 has improved a lot of things.

Crazy Owl
2006-12-12, 02:18 AM
Didn't improve me being disconnected from Multiplayer games, now instead of just kicking me out of online play it completely closes down NWN2.

Ambrogino
2006-12-12, 05:57 AM
I can't get the patch to install - it downloads then stacks on the install. If you get it from torrent or somewhere else other than the client is it possible to install it?

(note - my games running pretty smoothly anyway, just wondering if I can up a few settings with it, and the eventual new content requirements to have later patches)

Charity
2006-12-12, 06:24 AM
That patch robbed my character of all his equipment. Playing a LAN game with my mate, after the patch I had nothing, nil, nada, hopefully that won't happen again.

Oh and I have a game Q
How do you put out the fire/ snatch the key from the fireplace in the collectors house?

DeathQuaker
2006-12-12, 07:51 AM
I can't get the patch to install - it downloads then stacks on the install. If you get it from torrent or somewhere else other than the client is it possible to install it?

There's no "torrent" but you should be able to do a manual install. I think the NWN2 boards have a lot of advice for people who have trouble installing, or try tech support.

Fortunately, I've had no problems with it, so it's hard for me to troubleshoot for people who have.

In other news, finished the OC. The ending seems a little slapped on, but it was still a good playthrough, and they have some nice moments of drama before the final fight.

XeroKill
2006-12-12, 09:20 AM
The lag issue is most likely a problem with one of three things:

Your PC is not up to snuff RAM wise or Video Card wise.

You have water reflections and/or shadows turned on. I run a top of the line PC and having both on still causes a severe dip in frame rates. I am running an AMD 64bit dual core CPU, 2x 256Mb GeForce 7800 GTS in SLI, and 2GB of physical memory. The PC is strictly for gaming and runs everything superbly. I just can't have both those options on at once.

Something is running the background that is stealing a lot of CPU cycles or is hogging physical memory. I open the task manager and sort the items by memory usage then shut down anything over 5k that isn't system dependent.

To the issue with Elanee shifting into animal form a lot. You can disable her ability usage in the behavior tab and she will stop doing it since it is a feat (Wild Shape) not a spell that is doing it. I do this so I can keep as a heal bot. Once I do that I fill her spell book with heals/buffs and just let her do her thing.

Also there is a hakpak available on the NWN2 forums that modifies the AI to be a lot smarter. It is not a perfect fix but it is a lot better than the default AI. It is by a person named Even.

The link to the AI pack is HERE (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=11)

And the forum posts on the NWN2 forums is HERE (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=519921&forum=109&sp=0)

Ambrogino
2006-12-12, 11:35 AM
Oh and I have a game Q
How do you put out the fire/ snatch the key from the fireplace in the collectors house?

in the kitchen downstairs there's an empty jar, and a barrel of water. Put the jar in the barrel then take it out again and it's full and you have the option when you examine the fire.

Personally I was narked my Tiefling with fire resiestence couldn't just ignore the fire and pull out the key anyway

Abaddon
2006-12-12, 09:18 PM
The OC seems great so far. I also think the graphics are good, especially since the super patch 1.03 has improved game speed dramatically.
Looking forward to making more mods once iv finished the OC. Yay!

Charity
2006-12-13, 05:28 AM
Ambrogino thanks, and yes so was I narked at that.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-13, 03:09 PM
on a related note...i can't figure out the combination for the lock... any hepl would be apreciated, otherwise i'm gonna start at 000 and gain alot of XP from the spawned in guards.

oh and don't tell Death.

Telok
2006-12-13, 07:45 PM
I've been thinking of getting the game but I'm not really in any hurry to do so though, mabey when they start selling the disks with the patch already in there. While I'm waiting to hear back from a friend on how it plays I thought I'd ask a few questions. I did play NWN quite a bit the first time around. The play was ok, the main quest was rather uninteresting and predictable, some side quests were very well written and fairly engaging (I rather enjoyed the cleric NPC), the lack of variety in magic items was rather annoying.

Is it possible to really play a stealth character? One that's built to be absolutely uncatchable. These are nice characters to play, untill you hit the big fight where the enemies can always find you because they're flagged to ignore all forms of stealth. These tend to kill playing that sort of character because those characters can't stand up to hit-for-a-hit combat and are usually scripted into the game as part of the main quest.

Is the alignment stuff implemented any better? I'm assuming they didn't just discard it like they probably should have, but it was so weak as to be almost totally invisible the first time. And did the law/chaos axis get any attention this time?

Lastly, with Archonic Energy's post, did they make the mistake of putting an Xp box in the game?

DeathQuaker
2006-12-13, 10:50 PM
I've been thinking of getting the game but I'm not really in any hurry to do so though, mabey when they start selling the disks with the patch already in there.

Not a bad idea, honestly. Usually, I wait 6 months before I buy a game, to make sure it's patched sufficiently. NWN2 was a rare exception, and fortunately they've put patches out pretty quickly.

My guess is in a few months the game will be running like butter.

While I'm waiting to hear back from a friend on how it plays I thought I'd ask a few questions. I did play NWN quite a bit the first time around. The play was ok, the main quest was rather uninteresting and predictable, some side quests were very well written and fairly engaging (I rather enjoyed the cleric NPC), the lack of variety in magic items was rather annoying.

I'm not sure if this is a question, but I'll respond:

Overall, the OC in NWN2 is much better than the OC in the original. I felt far more drawn in and cared about what happened to my character. Your companions are especially better written.

That said, there are certainly still a lot of fantasy game cliches in the game, right down to the Uber-Sword-of-McGuffin-ness (which surprises me, since Chris Avellone was one of the writers and he's gone on record saying that he hates the sword cliche, which is why Torment never had any) and the Big Bad Who Always Teleports Away Before You Can Attack Him. The ending is horribly rushed. And oddly, like in the NWN OC, some of the sidequests are more personally engaging than the main plot. BUT again, overall, the main story is also generally more engaging. Overall, there's some really great stuff about it, and some awful stuff about it.

One of the interesting bits was getting to run your own stronghold. Very Suikoden-esque, in fact (but with a much better interface).

I also have a feeling any expansions and player-made-modules will be pretty... well, expansive.

Is it possible to really play a stealth character? One that's built to be absolutely uncatchable. These are nice characters to play, untill you hit the big fight where the enemies can always find you because they're flagged to ignore all forms of stealth. These tend to kill playing that sort of character because those characters can't stand up to hit-for-a-hit combat and are usually scripted into the game as part of the main quest.

Honestly... exactly as you describe it, no. In fact, one of the very quests mentioned above involves a "theft" where you are forced to brute-force your way in rather than be sneaky at all (but this is probably the worst-designed sidequest in the whole game, and all others are far, far better). And a lot of time any plotted characters seem to see through your stealth--it seems they forgot to code in "If Spot check > PC's Hide, then attack" in a number of areas. There ARE areas where stealth is helpful, but as often as not.

BUT.... I will note I played a Fighter-Rogue-Duelist and had a BLAST... and had plenty of opportunities to get some sneak attack off. Not from stealthing but more from flanking and use of feint. Plus a lot of other Rogue skills definitely come in handy, including the social ones, which can often gain you XP without fighting.

I will also note though that you will fight a lot of constructs and undead, so sneak attack is only so useful. Evasion and Improved Evasion on the other hand.... never loved those abilities so much until now.

Um... so... can you play an effective Rogue build? Absolutely. Can you play an effective Rogue built solely on stealth? Not so much.

Is the alignment stuff implemented any better? I'm assuming they didn't just discard it like they probably should have, but it was so weak as to be almost totally invisible the first time. And did the law/chaos axis get any attention this time?

There are a lot of alignment checks, and law/chaos gets lots of love. My main issue with it is the game sometimes falls into the trap many alignment-based RPGs do... where "polite" or "the conversation option that won't irritate the all-powerful lord before me" somehow gives me points in Law or Good, and the "insanely, only an idiot would say this, it's so rude" conversation option earns you Evil and/or Chaos points. This doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

My chaotic neutral went good after taking pity on some helpless women and children. This was appropriate... but I also found that if I wanted to shift my alignment back to evil my options were mostly to piss people off (and therefore unnecessarily endanger myself) or kill helpless peasants... which isn't really the best way to revert to "neutral." So the "shifts" need to be scaled better (there is scaling--a good person doing an awful act earns more evil points than an evil person does--but not enough). Apathy at times ought to earn a "good" person "evil" points so as to push them towards neutrality.

Again... good idea, needs work.

Lastly, with Archonic Energy's post, did they make the mistake of putting an Xp box in the game?

I'm not sure what you mean. You earn XP in the game just as you do in TT D&D. You can gain XP for fighting monsters as well as using skills creatively and completing quests (my favorite moment: "You gain 100 XP for befriending a giant magical spider.")

Archonic Energy
2006-12-14, 03:59 AM
each incorrect combination spawns in 2 guards. totalling 129XP, with 1000 Combinations that makes a grand total of potentinally 129,000XP for hard cracking a safe... or you can attempt to figure out a badly worded riddle...

Charity
2006-12-14, 04:45 AM
You only get a couple of sets of guards I think Archie, it's not like the XP mine with the crypt guards earlier.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-14, 07:47 AM
Regarding the combo...
If you find the book of numbers in the nearby bookshelf, it's pretty easy to solve. I'm pathetically, abysmally horrible at arithmetic and I figured it out. I had to write it down, but I figured it out.

IIRC, I think the solution is something like 531.

And I think you get a pretty decent amount of XP for solving the riddle instead of beating your way in.

Charity
2006-12-14, 08:32 AM
It's 513, has anyone else been given the bloomin keep yet, are they mad? giving my psycotic killer governance over a manor. Things will get ugly.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-14, 04:40 PM
thanks for your help everyone i got to 017 and got bored and asked Death...

i am just about to be given the keep... now, how do i get the fanning women with the grapes?

The Evil Thing
2006-12-14, 08:22 PM
Has been promised in an up-and-coming expansion pack.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-15, 04:14 AM
now all i need is a Teifling with a scottish accent who wears very little and i'm set.

Marius
2006-12-15, 09:08 AM
Wow. Duly noted, as I was thinking about picking up that game. That's scary.

The A.I. sucks but Oblivion is still a great game. And you have far more freedom than on NWN2. But I hope that the guys at Bethesda fix the A.I. problem by the time they finish Fallout 3

What I did't like about NWN2 is that you have few NPCs to choose from at the beggining and it's impossible to form a party were people actually agree with half of your actions.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-15, 09:16 AM
The A.I. sucks but Oblivion is still a great game. And you have far more freedom than on NWN2. But I hope that the guys at Bethesda fix the A.I. problem by the time they finish Fallout 3

What I did't like about NWN2 is that you have few NPCs to choose from at the beggining and it's impossible to form a party were people actually agree with half of your actions.

please.

having mismatched parties has ALWAYS been fun.

Minsc Vs Edwin
Jahira & Kahlid Vs Monty & Xan (i think...)

now Bioware need to do a module for NWN2 that'll be fun.

Marius
2006-12-15, 10:53 AM
please.

having mismatched parties has ALWAYS been fun.

Minsc Vs Edwin
Jahira & Kahlid Vs Monty & Xan (i think...)

now Bioware need to do a module for NWN2 that'll be fun.

I don't care what goes on between them but if I want to play an evil cleric I can't have paladin and a good druid in the group.

Telok
2006-12-15, 11:03 AM
Amusing, so ix-nay on the stealth/sniper character as it's defeated by game railroading.

Also, the xp box is from an old AD&D tabletop I played in, and it's turned up in most later editions in other forms as well. It originated as a small box that summoned a skeleton every time someone opened it. Later it was an ornate chest that used a Summon Monster XI every time someone of the wrong alignment tried to open it. One time it was the true name of a demon/sorcerer who sent a flock imps to harass anyone who said his name, fifty imps can be suprisingly lethal harassment. The exact object or circumstances have varied by edition and DM, and normally stop gixing xp once the players start setting up one round kills. The object is called an xp box because every time you open the box you get xp. Many DMs have inadvertantly created xp boxes independantly of each other and almost all fix the problem very quickly. It tends to be a little different in computer games because there's no DM to say "You're not getting xp for that cheese anymore."

And another weak textbook ending... Yawn... Yeah, I'll wait a couple months before I bother to get it then.

P.S. Is a Wiz1/Dru+ elf character still "easy mode" in the game? The old tatic was to keep a summons or animal companion between you and the fight while you blasted wands and scrolls to kill stuff, or you could use a bow if you got bored. It was because that one level of wizard and a decent Int gave you access to every arcane spell item in the game and I remember having three staves of power by level 12.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-15, 02:32 PM
Archonic: Just build said tiefling in the toolset. :smallbiggrin:

I don't care what goes on between them but if I want to play an evil cleric I can't have paladin and a good druid in the group.

By the time you have the Paladin, you don't have to take them with you.

An evil cleric should be able to take along Bishop, Qara, Sand, Neeshka, and even Khelgar without much trouble, not to mention Ammon Jerro and the Construct. And you can take Casavir and Elanee with you and then just piss them off. You have an opportunity to get rid of Elanee later, and Casavir's a sucker so you can just use him for his strength without worrying about the consequences.

The only characters that really want you to play well with others are Casavir, Elanee, and for part of the game, Shandra... and really.... for an evil character... their opinions won't account for much. Grobnar is also good, but he's also nuts, so whatever.

Amusing, so ix-nay on the stealth/sniper character as it's defeated by game railroading.

Also, the xp box is from an old AD&D tabletop I played in, and it's turned up in most later editions in other forms as well. It originated as a small box that summoned a skeleton every time someone opened it.

Ah.... I see. And DMs are stupid enough to keep putting them in games? That's... silly.

I'm not good at finding stuff like that (with the door that everyone's talking about, I just solved the riddle so I didn't even know it spawned guards).

And another weak textbook ending... Yawn... Yeah, I'll wait a couple months before I bother to get it then.

Probably a good idea. Also, by then mods and possibly news of an expansion will be out.

P.S. Is a Wiz1/Dru+ elf character still "easy mode" in the game? The old tatic was to keep a summons or animal companion between you and the fight while you blasted wands and scrolls to kill stuff, or you could use a bow if you got bored. It was because that one level of wizard and a decent Int gave you access to every arcane spell item in the game and I remember having three staves of power by level 12.

Hmmm.... I haven't tried it myself, but it's plausible. But I don't think it would be absolutely foolproof.

For one, they slowed down casting from a scroll (perhaps specifically to discourage such exploits). My rogue with UMD used them, but I usually had to be sure to get her to safety to use them effectively. Wands do get used faster, but I didn't find many overly powered wands in the game... Magic Missile, Stinking Cloud, Paralysis, Lightning Bolt, and Fireball.... so useful early on but less effective at higher levels.

You can't use magic items when shapeshifted (IIRC, from using the Druid companion you get), so the druid-wizard couldn't become a dire bear and then cast meteor swarm off a scroll.

As I think about it, if I wanted to do something like that.... I'd just play a straight-up Bard with high levels of Use Magic Device. Bards get Summons, can use a lot of magic items without UMD checks, and can use *everything* with UMD--including not only arcane items but divine ones as well. They don't have the HP and shapeshifting that druids do, but Bards get awesome buffs through their Inspires and Songs (better than in TT 3.5).

Not to mention, bards get better class skills, including all the social ones, meaning you'd also get through certain areas more effectively with Bluff and Diplomacy and wouldn't have to fight through anyway (and you still get XP for skill use, so you're not nerfing yourself in advancement).

Telok
2006-12-16, 11:03 AM
Ah.... I see. And DMs are stupid enough to keep putting them in games? That's... silly.

Actually such things are more re-created by different GMs as they progress through ideas. At some point an item or trap that summons a threat and resets itself seems like a good idea. And it is a good idea... for about three summons. Once the players figure out what they need to do and when/where the threat will appear, it's an xp box.

I've finally decided that it's just a milestone in the arc of a GMing career. As a rule of thumb it will occur during the early/middle ascendancy period (the bit after the "I'm Still Learning" and before the "Creates Grand Epic Adventures Before Lunchtime"). That's when they are still figuring out what makes for good, interesting challenges and settling on their paticular style.

Hmmm.... I haven't tried it myself, but it's plausible. But I don't think it would be absolutely foolproof.

In NWN the druid shapechange wasn't implemented. That whole class feature was missing. And since the combat was locked to the six second rounds the casting wasn't any faster or slower than normal, it was just another standard action.

Honestly with the way loot and skills were handled in the original, it didn't really seem matter what you did past about seventh level. There was so little worth spending points or money on that I never ran out.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-16, 06:41 PM
Honestly with the way loot and skills were handled in the original, it didn't really seem matter what you did past about seventh level. There was so little worth spending points or money on that I never ran out.

In 2, at you're given a stronghold to sink a lot of money into... not to mention some interesting items to buy, so I found at least I had to watch my cashflow.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-17, 06:04 AM
In 2, at you're given a stronghold to sink a lot of money into... not to mention some interesting items to buy, so I found at least I had to watch my cashflow.

fixed. :smallwink:

it's stupid the amount of cash i'm throwing into this place...

The Evil Thing
2006-12-17, 08:20 AM
Not exactly hard to afford everything, though. I managed to pay for all the upgrades available in Act 2 with the gold and equipment I had on me and then still have enough to splash out on some l33t gear for my 'cloaks.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-17, 08:44 AM
well i suppose i only had to sell some of my equipment horde...
where's that injured harbourman guard gone... i want a seargent
and where's guen when you need him...

Dausuul
2006-12-18, 01:41 PM
Actually such things are more re-created by different GMs as they progress through ideas. At some point an item or trap that summons a threat and resets itself seems like a good idea. And it is a good idea... for about three summons. Once the players figure out what they need to do and when/where the threat will appear, it's an xp box.

I've finally decided that it's just a milestone in the arc of a GMing career. As a rule of thumb it will occur during the early/middle ascendancy period (the bit after the "I'm Still Learning" and before the "Creates Grand Epic Adventures Before Lunchtime"). That's when they are still figuring out what makes for good, interesting challenges and settling on their paticular style.

Hmm, I think I missed this milestone, but that's probably because I hand out XP on a per-session basis (and have pretty much since I started playing D&D). Killing extra monsters doesn't earn you any points with me. So I may put the occasional "auto-summon trap" in my adventures, but they aren't XP boxes.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-19, 03:18 AM
Hey C. Have you...

cleared the Crypt of traitors for Tyr?

ME: I promise i won't steal anything in the crypt

Later
Let's saw his fingers off to get that ring...
with NO alignment change!!!

Charity
2006-12-19, 06:22 AM
Well Archie Hell yes kick down the headstone there may be money under them, well see if you can sell the bones.
Oh have you got to that dozey fighter womans grandfathers retreat yet?
If not BEFORE you get her to open a vein to get you in take everything off her, yep everything. *mutter mutter cost me a fortune mutter*

I have just done in the fire giants and dragon, only to get killed by a glitch, damn my lack of saving, I guess I'll just do it all again then.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-19, 07:00 AM
Well Archie Hell yes kick down the headstone there may be money under them, well see if you can sell the bones.
Oh have you got to that dozey fighter womans grandfathers retreat yet?
If not BEFORE you get her to open a vein to get you in take everything off her, yep everything. *mutter mutter cost me a fortune mutter*

I have just done in the fire giants and dragon, only to get killed by a glitch, damn my lack of saving, I guess I'll just do it all again then.
Fair warning...
C.
Tell me about it i had to re-do the whole haven thing. i MADE Adamadite armour & enchanted it for her... then *poof* it vanishes. Grrr!
And i hate the way you can't access anyone's inventory for the first part of act 3. Stupid nasher and his nighthood. how does being one of the 9 help a wizard... i am NOT taking a level in the PrC.

Next time i'm playing an elderich knight.

Charity
2006-12-19, 08:24 AM
More moaning within

I am a crazy Ftr/Brd/Dragon D/Frenzied Barb
Did you know str maxes out at 36? bit of a pain, I'm the only melee guy who's not looking for a Str item.
I'm playing with a mate of mine and we have had some nasty multiplayer issues, one of which ended up with me loosing all my kit, that wasn't cheep.
Another thing is I got red Dragon armour, but the bonuses dont stack with the armour bracers and I'm already immune to fire... oh well.
Oh have you found any power essances yet? I still cant make anything worthwhile darn it.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-19, 09:00 AM
More moaning within

I am a crazy Ftr/Brd/Dragon D/Frenzied Barb
Did you know str maxes out at 36? bit of a pain, I'm the only melee guy who's not looking for a Str item.
I'm playing with a mate of mine and we have had some nasty multiplayer issues, one of which ended up with me loosing all my kit, that wasn't cheep.
Another thing is I got red Dragon armour, but the bonuses dont stack with the armour bracers and I'm already immune to fire... oh well.
Oh have you found any power essances yet? I still cant make anything worthwhile darn it.

Blah Blah warned... Blah

STR maxes out at 36... LOL you should be able to cause earthquakes!

take Skeleton rib
get Pestle & mortar
use mortar on rib.
ta da essence.
no alchamy lab required
i have a greater magic bag full of crafting equipment

has anyone else tried equipping the construct with armour/weapons/rings... etc.

he he he
i want epic levels... (i'm a wizard sue me)

warbacon
2006-12-19, 06:34 PM
After all your mumbling and grumbling, I should mention that my Warlock can't craft any cool items because of Obsidian's failure to translate him from the PnP properly. We're supposed to get Imbue Item @ level 12, so that we can use UMD checks to fake casting a spell. Alas, no dice.

That's kinda the reason I made a shoddy Bard / Warlock gestalt class. It's really quite fun. Well, it's also fun because he's got Rogue and Weapon Master mixed in as well. But that's just me.

The Evil Thing
2006-12-19, 07:35 PM
Alas, no dice.
Was that supposed to be a pun?

I basically ignore crafting. I collect all the gems I find and Kelgar carries all the essences (all 300 lb of them) but I can never find anything worthwhile. All the recipies I have the right compenents for I already picked up as loot so I don't need to make any more.

warbacon
2006-12-19, 07:45 PM
Was that supposed to be a pun?

Yes, it was.

What, you didn't find it funny?

I basically ignore crafting. I collect all the gems I find and Kelgar carries all the essences (all 300 lb of them) but I can never find anything worthwhile. All the recipies I have the right compenents for I already picked up as loot so I don't need to make any more.

Well it's really useful for making specific things -- like a Mithral Breastplate or Full Plate for your Bard / Warlock in Act 1, for example. And then you can go on and buff that armor, although rarely with anything truly useful. I have seen a mod with more crafting possibilities called "The Complete Craftsman" or something. Alas, parts of it were borked on the 1.0 install that I have (which is the only one that works, sadly).

Charity
2006-12-20, 09:09 AM
Blah Blah warned... Blah

STR maxes out at 36... LOL you should be able to cause earthquakes!

take Skeleton rib
get Pestle & mortar
use mortar on rib.
ta da essence.
no alchamy lab required
i have a greater magic bag full of crafting equipment

has anyone else tried equipping the construct with armour/weapons/rings... etc.

he he he
i want epic levels... (i'm a wizard sue me)

Darn it was that in those crafting insructions I never read?
*note to self 'told you so'*
I thought this game caps out at 20th is that not so?

warbacon
2006-12-20, 11:01 AM
The OC caps out at level 20 and 235,000 XP or so. Strangely, all the epic feats from HotU and a number of new ones are in there, and are probably functional, just disabled. So, even if you find the correct reference in feats.2da, and use the console command 'givefeat x' to give your target that feat, the console will reply that such-and-such a feat was not found.

Although I haven't tried re-enabling those feats yet ....

I was successful in enabling the Greater versions of the stat buffs (Greater Fox's Cunning, Greater Eagle's Splendor, etc...). They're ... pretty awesome. +8 CHA FTW.

Gogo525
2006-12-20, 01:47 PM
I am having trouble. Kelgar won't follow my party leader. Everyone else will but for some reason he just sits there. I have already went into his character sheet and told him to follow the leader but he just sits there. So now I have to play as him and leave my character to the computer. Please help!

warbacon
2006-12-20, 03:23 PM
I am having trouble. Kelgar won't follow my party leader. Everyone else will but for some reason he just sits there. I have already went into his character sheet and told him to follow the leader but he just sits there. So now I have to play as him and leave my character to the computer. Please help!

I hope to (deity) that your character isn't a caster of some sort. The casting AI is ... uhm ... well it's downright shoddy. AI warlocks do some of the most intensely stupid things I have ever seen.

But yes, party AI is one of the many known weak points of the game. There's an AI fix here (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=519921&forum=109) which helps a lot, but doesn't fix all the problems.

As it stands, the community for this game is just *too* strong to allow this poor gaming to go on forever, so you can be assured that after the first expansion, things should be running pretty smoothly.

Patience, grasshopper.

Gogo525
2006-12-20, 03:34 PM
I am a paladin/rogue so my character does fine by herself but I would much rather be the character that I made than the dwarf. I hate dwarves. Thanks for the help.

BTW(Helm)

Also my background (not the trees or anything but the sky) is all green lines. No clouds or anything just a big mass of green lines. Does anyone know what to do about that?

OrkzBlood
2006-12-20, 05:33 PM
(This is a spoiler by the way)Sup all, I was wonderin' if anyone could help me out on a certain quest in Highcliff. It involves me and the lizard Slaan, i helped him out, freed his guys, and then was asked if i wanted to see his chieftan now. I chose not to, since i thought i wouldnt be able to do all the other stuff that i wanted to do, now that i am done with everything else, for some reason i cannot activate this quest, like talk to him about it, or go to a new area for it, nothing, i am lost. Could somebody help me out...

DeathQuaker
2006-12-20, 09:38 PM
I am a paladin/rogue so my character does fine by herself but I would much rather be the character that I made than the dwarf. I hate dwarves. Thanks for the help.

In game, as your character, right click on him and Issue Command to "Follow Me." Then leave the area. See if that keeps him following you.

Also my background (not the trees or anything but the sky) is all green lines. No clouds or anything just a big mass of green lines. Does anyone know what to do about that?

That's a nasty video card problem there. Make sure it's compatible and update your drivers. If that doesn't fix it, try a reinstall and definitely be sure to have the latest patch, as that fixes a lot of graphics glitches.

Gogo525
2006-12-20, 09:49 PM
Thanks deathquaker. As for you orksblood I would say load the last auto save. If you have already left the area then I am just as lost as you are.

warbacon
2006-12-21, 12:23 AM
(This is a spoiler by the way)
If it's a spoiler, please use the spoiler tag. When making or editing a post, just surround your text with
my spoiler text is in here like so:

Sup all, I was wonderin' if anyone could help me out on a certain quest in Highcliff. It involves me and the lizard Slaan, i helped him out, freed his guys, and then was asked if i wanted to see his chieftan now. I chose not to, since i thought i wouldnt be able to do all the other stuff that i wanted to do, now that i am done with everything else, for some reason i cannot activate this quest, like talk to him about it, or go to a new area for it, nothing, i am lost. Could somebody help me out...
Reply:
As assassins_shadow said, one sure way is to reload a save you made before you declined his offer. If you don't have such a save, things become a little more uncertain:

If I remember correctly, killing him dropped a map to the lizardfolk caves. I'm not sure if there's a way to make him dead while he's in your party (given that he's a quest NPC) but you could try that. Change the game difficulty to D&D Hardcore or Hard, and throw a few area-effect spells like Fireball, Burning Hands, or Elanee's Call Lightning near him. He will die, to be certain, but I don't know if it will make the map spawn. Alternately, you could try bringing him to town and see if the townspeople will attack him or something.

Just my 3cp.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-21, 09:42 AM
If I remember correctly, killing him dropped a map to the lizardfolk caves. I'm not sure if there's a way to make him dead while he's in your party (given that he's a quest NPC) but you could try that.

I don't know if it will work, but couldn't you just try to pick his pocket, rather than kill him? If the item drops, it's usually flagged as stealable as well.

Ambrogino
2006-12-21, 09:51 AM
(This is a spoiler by the way)Sup all, I was wonderin' if anyone could help me out on a certain quest in Highcliff. It involves me and the lizard Slaan, i helped him out, freed his guys, and then was asked if i wanted to see his chieftan now. I chose not to, since i thought i wouldnt be able to do all the other stuff that i wanted to do, now that i am done with everything else, for some reason i cannot activate this quest, like talk to him about it, or go to a new area for it, nothing, i am lost. Could somebody help me out...

Hold down the right click after highlighting him in the play field (rather than his icon) and eventually a menu will appear. Select Talk to and you'll be able to tell him to go to the chieftain.

warbacon
2006-12-21, 12:22 PM
Hold down the right click after highlighting him in the play field (rather than his icon) and eventually a menu will appear. Select Talk to and you'll be able to tell him to go to the chieftain.

Oh? I assumed when he said that he couldn't talk to him about it, he tried talking to him but the dialogue option wasn't there. Nice catch.

Also, good idea on trying to steal it, DeathQuaker.

Ambrogino
2006-12-22, 05:07 AM
Oh? I assumed when he said that he couldn't talk to him about it, he tried talking to him but the dialogue option wasn't there. Nice catch.

Yeah, I didn't realise I could get a drop down menu by doing that until I looked up what was going wrong on the NWN2 forums - I'd already killed a chieftain and thought it was a dead path bug. The default time you need to hold the mouse down for is set a little too long (though it's adjustable in the options).

DeathQuaker
2006-12-22, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I didn't realise I could get a drop down menu by doing that until I looked up what was going wrong on the NWN2 forums

ALWAYS play the tutorial. There's a reason it's there. :smallsmile: Teaches you lots of nifty things, like dropdown menus and the usefulness of the Z key.

Charity
2006-12-22, 10:14 AM
Gah you'll be telling us to read the manual next.

fffft.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-22, 01:18 PM
Gah you'll be telling us to read the manual next.

fffft.

the manual is turd.

i need to look stuff up in my PHB/DMG.

i remember NWN's Manuals...

they were good.

also the tutorial gives you at least 2 handy items.

Gogo525
2006-12-24, 04:46 AM
2 handy items? I only ever got one good one. The festival cloak (or whatever it is called). Are you talking about the alcohol? You did say handy right? Ok then I only got one. Or can you use the alcohol for something?

Crazy Owl
2006-12-24, 05:19 AM
And a trophy with some cure spells in it. Can't remember what cure spells but they were useful at lower levels.

Ambrogino
2006-12-25, 08:06 AM
ALWAYS play the tutorial. There's a reason it's there. :smallsmile: Teaches you lots of nifty things, like dropdown menus and the usefulness of the Z key.

I played the tutorial (extra xp? Who'd turn that down?) I just managed to miss the mention of the "Talk to NPC" option during it entirely - or blanked it out.

cupkeyk
2006-12-26, 01:34 PM
I played a half orc sorc 1/ barb 2/ ftr 2/Dragon disciple 5/ Frenzied berzerker 10. Meh. Bland.

I think the plot that they made was pretty linear.

Jibar
2006-12-26, 02:41 PM
Okeedokee then.
Christmas, presents, money.
Neverwinter Nights 2.
Two queries.
Where can I get Lawful Good edition in the UK?
Base classes?

Crazy Owl
2006-12-26, 03:40 PM
Base Classes is everything in NWN1 plus the Warlock.

Jibar
2006-12-26, 03:45 PM
Oh goody. I've been wanting to play a Warlock.
Why a Warlock of all classes though?

Crazy Owl
2006-12-26, 05:19 PM
Don't know, be thankful they didn't decide on anything like Samurai.

2006-12-26, 05:53 PM
samurai would be cool

Tom_Violence
2006-12-26, 10:38 PM
Okeedokee then.
Christmas, presents, money.
Neverwinter Nights 2.
Two queries.
Where can I get Lawful Good edition in the UK?
Base classes?

I wouldn't be surprised if you have a hard time getting hold of a Lawful Good edition anywhere in the UK anymore. Try eBay, but I'm pretty sure all the big retailers sold out a fair while ago.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-26, 11:11 PM
Oh goody. I've been wanting to play a Warlock.
Why a Warlock of all classes though?

I think they thought it would be a good spellcasting class to play video-game style, since you don't have to worry about spell prep or spells per day.

Also, they have a lot of prestige classes, core (e.g., Arcane Trickster, Duelist, Eldritch Knight, Shadowdancer)as well as a few FR-based ones (e.g., Harper Agent, Neverwinter Nine, Shadow Thief of Amn) and some ones I think based on PrCs from the "Complete Thus-and-Such" series (e.g., War Priest, Pale Master). (Those aren't ALL the available PrCs, just the ones off the top of my head).

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-26, 11:17 PM
Wait, a "Lawful Good" edition? Ummmm, I dont have the game yet, so this might be a stupid question, but what does that mean?

Tom_Violence
2006-12-26, 11:52 PM
Wait, a "Lawful Good" edition? Ummmm, I dont have the game yet, so this might be a stupid question, but what does that mean?

Sorry, should've clarified - they realised two Collector's Editions, one Lawful Good, one Chaotic Evil. They came with a ring and a little sculpture, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: It occurs to me that this explanation makes it sound like only 2 copies of the Collector's Edition were ever made. Oh well.

Jibar
2006-12-27, 04:41 AM
Well...I wanted a Bahamut, but I guess I'll just go and get the Chaotic Evil edition.

Ambrogino
2006-12-27, 04:56 AM
Well...I wanted a Bahamut, but I guess I'll just go and get the Chaotic Evil edition.

It was an Eldritch giant, not Bahumat, in the end. I got the LG version from play.com and I've got to say, I wonder whether it was worth it. The map is just a folded piece of paper, tacky pewter ring, music and pictures disc, copies of original game and expansions I already own, and the art book was 12-odd ringbound postcard.

Don Beegles
2006-12-27, 01:30 PM
I'm so pissed off. I got it for Christmas as I expected and ran upstairs to get in installed when it becamse apparent that it was a DVD and my computer doesn't have a DVD-drive. There's a week of my life wasted as I wait for the one my mom is going to get around to ordering to come in. Though it'll give me a chance to finally play BGII as I wait.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-27, 09:27 PM
Sorry, should've clarified - they realised two Collector's Editions, one Lawful Good, one Chaotic Evil. They came with a ring and a little sculpture, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: It occurs to me that this explanation makes it sound like only 2 copies of the Collector's Edition were ever made. Oh well.

Ohhhhh, ok. So the different alignments are just different collectors editions. I thought at first that they were different versions of the game.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-29, 08:08 PM
Ohhhhh, ok. So the different alignments are just different collectors editions. I thought at first that they were different versions of the game.

if you own the CE edition and set up a CE Character you get a special "Leet" item called "the Head of Vecna"

Anyone gonna fall for that?

Edit: GORAM IT!

i "lost" my savegame....

/me is annoyed!

Jibar
2006-12-30, 11:39 AM
Hehe. I love that story.

I find alignment to be just as sucky in this game as it is in real D&D.
Yes, i'm going to save the town from the Lizardfolk. No. No. Forcing them into it is not freaking LAWFUL!
I'm killing people in cities, while the freaking watch are watching, and you're telling me I'm not chaotic!?
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! Jibar will keep his warlock levels, even if he has to rend every citizen of Neverwinter in twain!

I also look very silly. I have a swashbuckler's hat, a chain shirt, a green cloak, a spear, and tatoos on my face.

Tengu
2006-12-30, 12:00 PM
Basically, it's conversations that change your alignment - stupid evil choices make you more evil, stupid good more good, lawful stupid more lawful and chaotic stupid more chaotic. As you might've noticed, the alignment system is not very well implemented.

Most player characters look silly. My druid in his wizard's hat, dark brown breastplate, long cloak and wielding a scimitar and a shield with spikes looks like a cutthroat. His face does not help with dispelling this impression.

Dragor
2006-12-30, 12:21 PM
Can anyone give me a pointer on NWN2? (See spolier; I wouldn't be very popular if I let everything unravel from saying this.)

I'm at Crossroad Keep and I've managed to kill the guards in the Courtyard. The wizards are struggling to beat the door down and I've been asked to go find the trapdoor. Any idea where it is? It says in my journal that Vale has given me a rough idea of where it is, but he, er, hasn't. Can anyone help me?

DeathQuaker
2006-12-30, 12:53 PM
I think the alignment system is a victim of multiple-writer syndrome. Some of the alignment checks make perfect sense, others none whatsoever--and sometimes you do blatantly disciplined or free-will, horribly sadistic or saintly things and you get no shift, and sometimes you get 3 lawful points just for telling a truth that wasn't a particularly difficult or dangerous one to tell. No one went through to be sure the different parts were consistent. Also, alignment options are supposed to be scaled, but I don't see that they are.

Dragor: Just look around the courtyard a bit; I think you'll find it.

Dragor
2006-12-30, 01:01 PM
I think the alignment system is a victim of multiple-writer syndrome. Some of the alignment checks make perfect sense, others none whatsoever--and sometimes you do blatantly disciplined or free-will, horribly sadistic or saintly things and you get no shift, and sometimes you get 3 lawful points just for telling a truth that wasn't a particularly difficult or dangerous one to tell. No one went through to be sure the different parts were consistent. Also, alignment options are supposed to be scaled, but I don't see that they are.

Dragor: Just look around the courtyard a bit; I think you'll find it.

Aww, come on Quaker, I seriously can't find it.

From your tone I'm guessing it's in someplace REALLY obvious and I'm going to look a complete buffoon for not seeing it? :smallwink: I'm always like that on RPGs.

--EDIT-- Found it. Just had to go into the world map :O I'm really stupid.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-30, 05:01 PM
Glad you found it. And I wasn't meaning to be snarky. :smallsmile:

Charity
2007-01-02, 11:50 AM
I have finished it.
keep some anti level drain stuff for everyone, crud on a stick I lost 8 levels in the final fight and I had tiptop saves (all 20-26)
And it lets creatures with LA +1 or higher reach lvl 20 so, they are worth it in the extreme long run. (if you count gaining three levels in the final fights worth it)

Oh and the really big guy at the very end... he can't fit through the door, this is suprisingly helpful of him.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-02, 04:16 PM
Well C i'm back at old owl well... again. stupid saveame disapearing

my current char is a Human Wiz/Eld Kni 5/3... is the "Sword" a longsword?

sort of a change from my pure wiz.

i even picked up the Spellcasting Prodigy feat... (i'm no munchkin... well maybe a bit)

DeathQuaker
2007-01-02, 05:15 PM
my current char is a Human Wiz/Eld Kni 5/3... is the "Sword" a longsword?

It's a "Universal Sword" which means anyone can use it... but no-one can specialize in it/no specific weapon feats apply to it. It's a medium slashing weapon. Which basically sucks for monks, duelists, weapon masters, and anyone doing weapon specialization or improved critical.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-02, 07:27 PM
T.Y. D.Q.

any other abbreviations i could use?

TTFN.

Charity
2007-01-03, 08:10 AM
Yeah what she says...
I found you could use any sword on the blighter... level drain will be even more upsetting to you Mr EK you have been warninated.

Oh AE I will get some copies of Hogfather to you ... I have a list ... it's quite listy

Dragor
2007-01-03, 08:28 AM
Glad you found it. And I wasn't meaning to be snarky. :smallsmile:

I didn't say that:smalltongue: I was just thinking aloud....

I'm starting to get bored of NWN2 now... and I'm near the end! The bloody spirits won't go where they're supposed to (I.E. to the spirit tree.) They just keep on getting stuck and won't move. Ah well :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-01-03, 09:04 AM
Dragor
The easiest way is to get three at a time and turn the lights off ahead of them and on behind, otherwise they always go the wrong way... oh and you have a ways to go yet matey, you will finish at 20th level... well you'll enter the final battle at 20th at least.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-03, 02:06 PM
C i'm up to W/EK 5/5 now...

i'll "borrow" the cloak from one of the party members i'll aquire during the game...

i need a holy undead bane longsword... i can do holy... but undead bane... that'll be difficult

Jibar
2007-01-03, 02:18 PM
Can warlocks become Eldritch Knights, or was that martilal profeciancy wasted?
Oh, who am I kidding. it's nice to have a sword instead of my spear now.

Sahegian
2007-01-03, 03:19 PM
I picked this up a week or so ago and I can not get over how stupid the AI spell use is. Is there a third party patch out there or some such that helps this? I understand that AI isn't perfect, but this is nearly unplayable at times.

If I have the difficulty set so that AoE attacks hurt allies and Qara goes to NPC control for two seconds she constantly drops fireballs on my whole party. My only guess as to why is that she is severely afraid of zombies and would rather burn herself and everyone else alive than to wait two rounds for the thing to die. If you move the slider down one position so that AoE doesn't hurt your party all you've got to do is constantly cast AoE spells on your feet and watch the bodies pile up ...

Aside from the AI and alignment system the game has been fun so far.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-03, 04:45 PM
Archonic: You should be able to craft a weapon of disruption. If you can't find the recipe, there's a huge list of recipes stickied in the NWN2 forums at Bioware.

Sahegian: I have heard many reliably good things about Evenflow's AI, and plan to try it myself. It's available at the Neverwinter Vault.

Tom_Violence
2007-01-03, 07:27 PM
I have finished it.

Right, now send me your computer so I can have a go on it. There's a good chap.

Gyrfalcon
2007-01-03, 09:00 PM
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=11
There's the link to the AI mod discussed above. :)

Archonic Energy
2007-01-04, 03:43 PM
Archonic: You should be able to craft a weapon of disruption. If you can't find the recipe, there's a huge list of recipes stickied in the NWN2 forums at Bioware.

Unfortuneatly most are from a user Mod which allows more varied crafting options.

i have looked.

there must be a Disrupition recepie

Admanitite Holy Disrupt

or

holy disrupt +5...

Dragor
2007-01-04, 03:51 PM
Dragor
The easiest way is to get three at a time and turn the lights off ahead of them and on behind, otherwise they always go the wrong way... oh and you have a ways to go yet matey, you will finish at 20th level... well you'll enter the final battle at 20th at least.

Oh.... you've officially brought me down a little :smallfrown:

I'm approx Level 17 now, and it's getting a bit frustrating when my whole party won't either fit through a door or even follow me after a battle. It's annoying when you here "Everyone, follow me!" for about the billionth time.

I'm also hoping for a mod where there's a chapter organizer, so you can choose wher you start from (if you're sick and tired of the opening battle, the ruins, and everything after.). I really want to play a Halfling Duelist.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-04, 05:17 PM
Unfortuneatly most are from a user Mod which allows more varied crafting options.

i have looked.

Then you looked in the wrong place, sweetie.

This thread here, stickied in the spoiler forum (well, the original thread is linked in the sticky; I'm providing the link to the original thread):

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=511016&forum=110

All the recipes are copied directly out of the books you find in the game. They are not from a mod.

Since I had to go get the link for you, here's the recipe:

Weapon of Disruption: Undead must make a DC 14 Will save or be destroyed
Requires: Caster level 14, Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat
- Any weapon
- Glowing Power Essence
- Glowing Water Essence
- Jacinth
Cast undeath to death on a magic workbench containing the above

I think there may be a limit to how many times you can enchant, so I would advise giving it an enhancement bonus first, then make it Holy, and then if you can enchant it again, then make it disruption (i.e., make it from most universally useful to least universally useful).

Dragor: How the heck you'd get to be level 17 and you're still doing the Ritual of Purification? Are you even in Chapter III?

BTW, it speeds up when you hit chapter III. And I think the mine puzzle is the only really potentially irritating puzzle in the game.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-01-04, 07:04 PM
I got the game about a week ago and its great. But I cant seem to figure something out:
Every time I play a character other than my main, and we get into a battle, my main character will just start using items (and the "use items" option is off on him). And I keep all (or mostly all) my items on him. Like one time he used a potion of invis the first time he was attacked in battle. Does someone know what to do here?

DeathQuaker
2007-01-04, 10:21 PM
I got the game about a week ago and its great. But I cant seem to figure something out:
Every time I play a character other than my main, and we get into a battle, my main character will just start using items (and the "use items" option is off on him). And I keep all (or mostly all) my items on him. Like one time he used a potion of invis the first time he was attacked in battle. Does someone know what to do here?

That's weird. Characters will use potions of cure regardless of how the AI is set, but they shouldn't use anything else. Mine never did.... make sure you have it fully updated and patched.

If it's becoming a hassle and you haven't gotten too far into the game yet, I'd restart the game. Otherwise, you might just put your main character in Puppet Mode (I did that anyway, as I generally preferred to control them completely).

Charity
2007-01-05, 06:11 AM
Then you looked in the wrong place, sweetie..
Get your coat Archie...:smallwink:
Oh AE, STR 36 who needs disruption ... smashy smashy.
Hey AE are you interested in a internet game some time?

Dragor: How the heck you'd get to be level 17 and you're still doing the Ritual of Purification? Are you even in Chapter III?

I must say I was wondering this, there are some XP mines (respawning monsters) but even so you'd have to be pretty bordom proof to exploit these to get to that level, and as it caps at 20, there isn't much point anyway.

Oh DQ have you noticed the AC restrictions get screwed if you multiclass? Druids in addy platemail.
try monk/duelist/ftr for adding WIS, DEX, INT to your AC while wearing any light armour (mithril breastplate yay)

Right, now send me your computer so I can have a go on it. There's a good chap.
Attaches 200 stamps to the side of his pc...

Hang on, I gonna need that for the new DS2 add on that I'm hoping will be bigger and better than DS2.
Sorry Tom, you can have it soon as there's no more games I wanna gotta play.
My Graphics card was under a ton if thats any consolation, maybe you have wealthy benifactor somewhere?

DeathQuaker
2007-01-05, 07:48 AM
Oh DQ have you noticed the AC restrictions get screwed if you multiclass? Druids in addy platemail.
try monk/duelist/ftr for adding WIS, DEX, INT to your AC while wearing any light armour (mithril breastplate yay)

You mean with Fighter levels my Duelist could still have her Int bonus while wearing armor? Dang... but she looked so suave in her Duelist's Outfit anyway...

I knew Druids didn't work right... but I think they're fixing that in 1.04.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-05, 10:48 AM
Get your coat Archie...:smallwink:
Oh AE, STR 36 who needs disruption ... smashy smashy.
Hey AE are you interested in a internet game some time?

hell yeah.
*goes to cloakroom*

what was this about a game.

what time?

OC or can you suggest any good PWs or Mods

Jibar
2007-01-05, 12:02 PM
Can I join in?

My warlock keeps getting mauled by orcs.
It's stopped being funny now.
I could do with a meatshild better than stubby dwarf, flimsy tiefling, or plain old weak elf.

Flyingsponge
2007-01-05, 02:42 PM
I'll go for an online one. My rogue needs excersise

Selrahc
2007-01-05, 09:56 PM
Need another player? I'd like to see what the game is like without AI characters frying you with fireballs every ten seconds.:smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2007-01-06, 06:54 AM
i need the address for obsidian's HQ, a hammer, and... well that'll do actually!

Charity, Jibar, and myself took about 2 Hrs trying to get a multiplayer game going last night...

Obsidian need to learn to make multiplayer games easier to setup...

funny thing is i still have no probs with NWN multiplayer so what did Obsidian change?
/rant

Charity
2007-01-06, 04:26 PM
Anyone else had trouble hosting?
i got it going only to have it give us grief I keep losing the interface menus... very annoying

Cybren
2007-01-06, 05:55 PM
The real stupid part of multiplayer is that if you want to play a custom module you have to distribute it to your players prior to joining the game as there's no auto-download.
"TEH FILEZ R TOO BIG!!!11"

Gonzodave
2007-01-09, 06:00 PM
So, am I the only one who's got right up to the endgame and just doesn't care? I'm in the lair of the **** of ****** and I really can't summon the motivation to complete it.

Incidentally, TCC. Download it. Makes the crafting 10x better.

Gogo525
2007-01-09, 09:37 PM
I haven't even been able to get past entering neverwinter. I have played D&D for 8 years now. We have started so many campaigns that no character is really fun to play anymore. I still play it now and then. Usually just to make a new character and save the west harbor. Then I play StarCraft. lol. I know I am horrible.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-09, 09:40 PM
So, am I the only one who's got right up to the endgame and just doesn't care? I'm in the lair of the **** of ****** and I really can't summon the motivation to complete it.

I cared! I enjoyed playing through and am playing through again, despite the several flaws in the game.

But... OTOH... honestly, the very end sucks. It's worth it to face down Garius but after that... yeah, maybe it's better to leave it there.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-11, 02:44 AM
Incidentally, TCC. Download it. Makes the crafting 10x better.

No. well not until the "Vanilia" game gets boring.

Dausuul
2007-01-11, 05:06 AM
That's weird. Characters will use potions of cure regardless of how the AI is set.

Don't I just know it. I hate that. Why can't RPG designers seem to grasp that if I give my NPC an order, I expect that order to be followed all the time? Not most of the time, not when the NPC feels like it, but always. That means no turning off modes (I get so sick of Defensive Casting and Power Attack being turned off whenever I click to another character for a few seconds), no chugging potions when told not to use items (hey, provoking AoOs from half a dozen attackers and giving up a full round of attacks so you can drink a potion of cure light wounds is a great idea, right?), no charging off to fight opponents at the edge of the screen when ordered to stay close and guard the casters...

I put the party casters in puppet mode so they don't blow their casting resources in stupid ways, but they STILL turn off Defensive Casting every time I click away from them for more than a round. And I really dislike using puppet mode on the melee types, because I want them to be able to auto-acquire targets in battle so I don't have to pause and hunt around through the scuffle for a new enemy to whack. I'm okay with the core melee fighter AI, I just want it to friggin' listen when I give it a direct order!

...okay, done ranting now.

The Dirge
2007-01-11, 05:36 AM
Bah, I cant install it, damn CRC errors!

Errata
2007-01-11, 05:58 PM
I cared! I enjoyed playing through and am playing through again, despite the several flaws in the game.

But... OTOH... honestly, the very end sucks. It's worth it to face down Garius but after that... yeah, maybe it's better to leave it there.

I don't understand the complaints.

Its just a cliffhanger. A jumping off point for an epic level sequel or for player made campaigns. The world is saved, but your character has ascended to bigger and better things.

Its clear based on all the interactions with different planes in the game, that when your party vanishes without a trace after destroying the inter-planar portal and the inter-planar entity that they have in fact been pulled into one of those other planes.

Your characters have killed off an ancient world consuming evil, ancient dragons, a tribe of giants, and won a war single handedly. At level 20 they've pretty much handled all that world has to throw at them, so for them to have future challenges into the epic levels without it getting ridiculous, they have to start exploring more powerful parts of the multiverse.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-11, 09:17 PM
I don't understand the complaints.

I will explain myself, as it's not quite what you think:

What I find less-than-stellar about the ending is that it's cliched. The "building collapses and you disappear" is as old as the hills. It happened to Frankenstein, even. Not to mention, it's how the NWN OC and SoU ended.

Not to mention the fact that after a full game of cinematic animation, you get a slideshow accompanied by narration featuring that perennial acting favorite, Bob from Accounting.

It's just a very "meh" denouement to a very nicely done final confrontation and series of battles. You can leave room for a sequel and still be innovative about it. You can even actually have a hero DIE and have it be a beautiful, dramatic, heartwrenching thing... if the story HAD ended with you actually getting killed, I'd at least applaud the writers for doing an unexpected, evocative twist. I'm not angry about the end, mind you. I just found it boring.

Errata
2007-01-11, 09:23 PM
Its a game built around player designed content and being able to move characters from one campaign to another. That severely constrains what they can do to your characters.

Cybren
2007-01-11, 09:28 PM
Don't forget how utterly hard to believe it is for a party of level 20 characters actually being hurt by something as irrelevent as a building falling on them. I mean come on.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-01-11, 10:22 PM
Man, I've been having a hell of a time trying to dowload a player mod. I mean, something goes wrong every time. Even when I downloaded WinRAR so I could decompress certain files, it still said windows couldent open it. Then, after I somehow did open it, it lead me to some Power DvD thing. I'm guess im what you'd call, computor deficient. Anyone else having similar problems?

DeathQuaker
2007-01-12, 07:50 AM
Its a game built around player designed content and being able to move characters from one campaign to another. That severely constrains what they can do to your characters.

Sorry, that doesn't explain the cliches, nor the bad acting. :smallsigh:

Myatar: Where'd you download it from? It should have instructions for install. I'd also contact the creator of the module if you're having problems.

Errata
2007-01-12, 11:11 AM
It was the end you were talking about. If you want to complain about cliches and bad acting then you're talking about the whole thing, so you've really drifted off topic.

Jibar
2007-01-14, 02:00 PM
Two mods I would like to reccomend.

First, guitars and glasses. Nothing awe-inspiring, just damn groovy. (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=75)

Second, real weapons. Finally, you can wield a sword that's actually a sword. Not a porcupine-table love-child. (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=14)

DeathQuaker
2007-01-14, 03:43 PM
It was the end you were talking about. If you want to complain about cliches and bad acting then you're talking about the whole thing, so you've really drifted off topic.

I made myself quite clear the first time what I was talking about. I was quite specific, in fact. So don't play stupid.

You're picking an argument over nothing. I don't disagree with the point you made about the end. It just has absolutely nothing to do with why I didn't like it.

And tangentially, I thought most of the acting in the game was extremely good.

Caewil
2007-01-15, 12:36 AM
Gah, for some reason I ended up with an experiance penalty, although my build should not provoke one.

Human

Fighter 4/Bard 1/Red Dragon Disciple 6

Right after finishing the second Orc cave I started gaining less Exp. What the hell is going on?

DeathQuaker
2007-01-15, 09:05 AM
Gah, for some reason I ended up with an experiance penalty, although my build should not provoke one.

Human

Fighter 4/Bard 1/Red Dragon Disciple 6

Right after finishing the second Orc cave I started gaining less Exp. What the hell is going on?

I've heard about some kind of bug to do with that. I think it might be fixed with 1.04.

Charity
2007-01-15, 11:56 AM
nope, there is no distinction made between prestige classes and std classes, so sorry spiderfellow you'll just have to suck it up like I did, you won't care as once you have 36 STR there's a cap, and that's loads more annoying. Experiance is easy to get.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-16, 03:14 PM
you could just keep to one class...

... or even 2!

DeathQuaker
2007-01-16, 04:10 PM
nope, there is no distinction made between prestige classes and std classes.

That's not quite true. I ended up a Tiefling Fighter 3/Rogue 7/Duelist 9, with never a real even gap between classes, and I never got an XP penalty. Is it race-dependent?

Crazy Owl
2007-01-16, 05:13 PM
nope, there is no distinction made between prestige classes and std classes, so sorry spiderfellow you'll just have to suck it up like I did, you won't care as once you have 36 STR there's a cap, and that's loads more annoying. Experiance is easy to get.

Isn't the cap 50?

Thexare Blademoon
2007-01-16, 09:09 PM
That's not quite true. I ended up a Tiefling Fighter 3/Rogue 7/Duelist 9, with never a real even gap between classes, and I never got an XP penalty. Is it race-dependent?
I believe Tieflings have Favored Class (Rogue)...

DeathQuaker
2007-01-16, 09:20 PM
Yes, but someone said that Prestige Classes were counting against the XP penalty, so my Duelist class should have been causing me problems if that were the case.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-16, 11:36 PM
Craft, Craft, Craft, the team new items...

Neeshka gets mith chain shirt+5 (max dex mod 6)
The "dude" gets Mith plate+5 (medium. yay)
Ditto the druid chick
The Paladin gets Adam Plate +5 & a shiney holy ad weapon
myself, Quara & Sand get bracers of armour +8
Bishop doesn't get his shiney new bow because it won't work (i guess i'll have to buy that) but he does get Mith plate +4 (run out of blue diamonds)
Kel has his family's gear
the construct gets... shafted.
the bard gets shot... ok so he can have mith breastplate +4.... and a lute.
the cleric gets Ad plate +4 and a spear

/me is bored now.

Charity
2007-01-17, 11:46 AM
Hey wheres the mith plate I ordered? these other customers are getting served first.

Jibar
2007-01-17, 12:18 PM
Am I wierd because I don't use the craft skills?
I just find the stuff for free or buy already enchanted versions.
Also, I lost all my saves game through a modding accident. So I'm starting anew. I'm a little perplexed how the Neutral Good Fighter is a part of the thieves guild, but, meh, it works.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-17, 07:09 PM
Am I wierd because I don't use the craft skills?

Yes. but not so much that we will shun you.

i don't think you'll find a better Weapon in game than a +5 Holy Adamanite

Soneskin?
where! *thwack*

PC: you evil?
BBEG: yeah *Boof* ...my spleen!

quite cheap too... well cheaper than Buying it!

also a +5 mith full plate mail counts as "Medium"... Battle casters come and get one

my only problem is a lack of blue diamonds... and full plate kits.

Charity
2007-01-19, 05:46 AM
I am a rock ask Archie.

To become rockier I will need...

oh Bracers of armour stack with armour too.
Mith plate (and dex)+11 give it some SR instead of + bonuses
bracers +8
monk wis bonus ~+7
ring prot +4
amulet natural armour +6
+36 armour for AC 46,
Hey Archie I have this list....

Caewil
2007-01-19, 06:27 AM
monk wis bonus ~+7
Isn't that only useable while unarmored?

Anyway, don't forget RDD natural armour bonus and Improved Combat Expertise.

Charity
2007-01-19, 06:47 AM
Nope it works, stupid I know but it does, as does the int bonus from a swashy.
No room for feats or RDD in my build I'm afraid, I'm a Druid.

...Made of rock.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-19, 01:52 PM
I am a rock ask Archie.

To become rockier I will need...

oh Bracers of armour stack with armour too.
Mith plate (and dex)+11 give it some SR instead of + bonuses
bracers +8
monk wis bonus ~+7
ring prot +4
amulet natural armour +6
+36 armour for AC 46,
Hey Archie I have this list....

Feat: Able Learner. cool.
put any ranks in tumble?
you only need 10.

did you want Stoneskin cast on you too?

and we'll need some gems....
Lots of Gems!

and you need to use wildshape and become "Bat-Fink"

Jibar
2007-01-19, 02:36 PM
Okay then...so you guys are munchkiningyingpang...
Kinda glad I can't find time to play now.
Although I have been messing around with a rogue build that could come in handy for ya. Afterall, you're just a wizard and druid-freak.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-19, 06:43 PM
Okay then...so you guys are munchkiningyingpang...
Kinda glad I can't find time to play now.
Although I have been messing around with a rogue build that could come in handy for ya. Afterall, you're just a wizard and druid-freak.
Wiz/ Eld Knight. actually. i'm thinking of a 15/5 spread... tho my OC PC is a 10/10.

i'm not munchkining too badly.
C on the other hand... he's off to see the wizard... and not the one from Oz!

Charity
2007-01-19, 08:01 PM
because because because because because....

Hey, I've played it right through twice, I just like to see what I can build.
Anyway I'm hardly munchkinning, I have a LA and an XP penalty, not ideal.

Bloody purists:smallbiggrin:

Myatar_Panwar
2007-01-19, 08:33 PM
Yes, but someone said that Prestige Classes were counting against the XP penalty, so my Duelist class should have been causing me problems if that were the case.

If this rule is the same a the Dnd version, then multiclassing into a prestige class costs no XP.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-19, 09:20 PM
If this rule is the same a the Dnd version, then multiclassing into a prestige class costs no XP.

AAAGGHH!!!! A bug! Someone was reporting a bug! THEY said Prestige Classes were counting towards XP penalties when they shouldn't be. Why is everyone correcting me when I'm the one asking for clarification? :smalleek: :smallfurious: :smalleek: :smallfurious:

Archonic Energy
2007-01-19, 09:40 PM
AAAGGHH!!!! A bug! Someone was reporting a bug! THEY said Prestige Classes were counting towards XP penalties when they shouldn't be. Why is everyone correcting me when I'm the one asking for clarification? :smalleek: :smallfurious: :smalleek: :smallfurious:

because it's fun to misquote people.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-20, 01:15 PM
because it's fun to misquote people.

No, Archonic, you're entirely wrong. I think it's actually because it's fun to misquote people. You're totally off on your point though. What were you thinking???

:smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2007-01-20, 02:35 PM
No, Archonic, you're entirely wrong. I think it's actually because it's fun to misquote people. You're totally off on your point though. What were you thinking???

:smallwink:

wow your point of view is really good i should listen to you more often.

Sul'us
2007-01-20, 05:43 PM
I think I know the answer already, but, will my 1 GHz Intel Pentium 3 processor be able to play the game?

My 'puter met all the requirements, except that one. I don't mind playing with all the settings on low; I just want to play, period.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-21, 12:36 AM
I think I know the answer already, but, will my 1 GHz Intel Pentium 3 processor be able to play the game?

My 'puter met all the requirements, except that one. I don't mind playing with all the settings on low; I just want to play, period.

My guess is probably not well. My processor is slightly below minimum but not by as much as yours (I have a Pentium M 2G). It runs the game pretty well--especially since I have a good video card--but I know it also takes up every scrap of processing power I've got (the toolset's even worse). With a good video card you might be able to run it but I imagine you're going to have some notable load issues, etc.

But if in doubt I'd email tech support--or at least post something to the NWN2 forums--and see if they have any recommendations.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-21, 01:16 AM
I got the game for Christmas. I've been playing it some off and on since then. but I seem to be having issues with the online play. I can easily log in, and get the list of games and such, but when I try to connect to a game, it just sits there trying to find the game, it's very frustrating. I know it's not my computer since it's less than 6 months old. That, and the online play for the original NWN still works just fine. Which I think is kinda strange since they're both run from gamespy.

Sul'us
2007-01-21, 01:42 AM
Sadly, I am stuck with an old ATI Radeon card. Have had it for several years now; four if I am correct. No way would it be able to run well with NWN 2, to my sorrow.

Also, my processor is built in my motherboard, so if I want to upgrade, I'd need to buy a new 'board.

I'm beginning to think this game is not worth it.

Don Beegles
2007-01-21, 07:56 PM
Damn it. Damn it! DAMN IT!

So, after finally getting a DVD Drive after several trials and tribulations. I jook teh damn thing up properly and install NWN deabting eagerly over Barb/FrenziedBez or Fighter/Duelist. Just as the game is starting and I'm going to get a coin to flip, a message pops up. "Cannot find Compatible Direct 3d Device. This Application will exit." In a fury I close teh game and start it again, hoping it's just a bug the first time. It's not. I go online, and can find nothing about Direct3d that seems relevant. i started a thread, but I haven't got any results, and so I'm going with teh worst case scenario: I need a new video card and I can't get afford it probably. Excuse me while, I go off and cry. Actually, no, I'm going to be strong and not cry. Excuse me while I go saw off a shotgun. I can't decide: do I turn it on myself, or would it be more satisfying to take it to Bioware and damn them for their damn system requirements?

DeathQuaker
2007-01-22, 08:03 AM
Damn it. Damn it! DAMN IT!

So, after finally getting a DVD Drive after several trials and tribulations. I jook teh damn thing up properly and install NWN deabting eagerly over Barb/FrenziedBez or Fighter/Duelist. Just as the game is starting and I'm going to get a coin to flip, a message pops up. "Cannot find Compatible Direct 3d Device. This Application will exit." In a fury I close teh game and start it again, hoping it's just a bug the first time. It's not. I go online, and can find nothing about Direct3d that seems relevant. i started a thread, but I haven't got any results, and so I'm going with teh worst case scenario: I need a new video card and I can't get afford it probably. Excuse me while, I go off and cry. Actually, no, I'm going to be strong and not cry. Excuse me while I go saw off a shotgun. I can't decide: do I turn it on myself, or would it be more satisfying to take it to Bioware and damn them for their damn system requirements?

Well, first of all, the developer is Obsidian, so taking it to Bioware wouldn't help.

Second of all, I am very sorry you're having trouble. IF your card satisfies the system requirements as printed, but isn't working, be sure to install all patches. If you are still getting an error, email their tech support to report the bug and/or be sure to research all known bugs/errors related to this problem.

If your video card does not satisfy system requirements, then I'm sorry, but it's your fault, and no one can help you. They print the system requirements clearly on the box and on the advertising Web pages, and they do so for a reason. One of the first rules of buying software is to be sure to check the system requirements, and it's not a hard thing to do. I'm sorry if that's the case that you had to learn the hard way, but it's not like anyone was hiding the system reqs from you. In this case, complaining to the devs will not do a damn thing for you--if they say it won't work with your video card, then it's not going to work with your video card. End of story.

Douglas
2007-01-22, 08:47 AM
As I recall the specific required feature for your video card is version 2.0 or higher of the pixel shader and compatibility with DirectX 9.0c or higher. The list of officially supported video cards from nwn2wiki.org is copied below, but anything with those features and 128+ MB of video memory should work.

ATI Radeon X1900 series
ATI Radeon X1800 series
ATI Radeon X1600 series
ATI Radeon X850 series
ATI Radeon X800 series
ATI Radeon X700 series
ATI Radeon X600 series
ATI Radeon 9800 series
ATI Radeon 9600 series
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 series
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series

Even if you do upgrade, however, it's not guaranteed to work. My system satisfies every published minimum requirement except processor speed, and the game crashes when I click the create new character button.

thegato
2007-01-31, 10:50 AM
Who else has givin up on this game, at least until theyve properly patched up?
Though, I didnt make it through the 1st Chapter before I got bored and pissed at the story options I was forced to take...

Archonic Energy
2007-01-31, 10:57 AM
nope. still playing.

Jibar
2007-01-31, 11:14 AM
Hey, funny thing. Level 20 warlock rips the starting areas to pieces.
So, I got bored with the constant dieing and losing of saved games.

Dragor
2007-01-31, 01:04 PM
Can anyone give me a hand here? I can't enter any server on multiplayer. It loses the connection immidately- even if I turn off my Firewall completely, it still persists. Any pointers?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's just I want to play through the campaign with my mates.

Selrahc
2007-01-31, 02:23 PM
I had that problem too....

I just got frustrated and gave up on trying multiplayer. If someone gives aid I'd be apreciative too.

Dragor
2007-01-31, 02:51 PM
I had that problem too....

I just got frustrated and gave up on trying multiplayer. If someone gives aid I'd be apreciative too.

Wahey! I'm not alone! That makes me feel good.

Archonic Energy
2007-01-31, 02:55 PM
poke Charity. he hosts our games...

speaking of which C, Friday?

Grey Paladin
2007-01-31, 05:25 PM
NWN veteran here, been playing on role playing persistent worlds (think min-MMOs with strict roleplaying) since the first one came out.

If you have played the previous game you should be familiar with the concept of hackpacks, well, if you wish to play in a module that you do not have on your computer you'll have to download it's walkmeshes in the form of a PWC file, the address should be in the server description, once you download it you should place it in My Documents/NWN 2/PWC and you'll be able to play.

Mind you, there isn't a single good NWN II server out yet, but this awesome one is nearly in the end of development and should be released in a few weeks: www.worldofcharun.net (http://www.worldofcharun.net)

NWN 2's strength is truly in multiplayer and player made content, but right now it pretty much sucks, it'll take a few patches until it'll become as awesome as the first (and mind you, the first one was released in a worse state)

if you have any more questions feel free to direct them at me.

Dragor
2007-02-01, 02:32 AM
NWN veteran here, been playing on role playing persistent worlds (think min-MMOs with strict roleplaying) since the first one came out.

If you have played the previous game you should be familiar with the concept of hackpacks, well, if you wish to play in a module that you do not have on your computer you'll have to download it's walkmeshes in the form of a PWC file, the address should be in the server description, once you download it you should place it in My Documents/NWN 2/PWC and you'll be able to play.

Mind you, there isn't a single good NWN II server out yet, but this awesome one is nearly in the end of development and should be released in a few weeks: www.worldofcharun.net (http://www.worldofcharun.net)

NWN 2's strength is truly in multiplayer and player made content, but right now it pretty much sucks, it'll take a few patches until it'll become as awesome as the first (and mind you, the first one was released in a worse state)

if you have any more questions feel free to direct them at me.

Ah, right. Thanks, Grey Paladin. I managed to get by just fine without hackpacks on NWN1, so I was wondering where it was all going wrong :smallcool:

--EDIT-- Just checked out the website. All vewwy vewwy interwesting.

Charity
2007-02-02, 03:17 AM
To run the game I mearly had to open the correct port.
Some/many of the games cannot be joined for a variety of reasons, diferent versions, password only, restrictions on entry et al. Though most tell you why rather than just refuse you entry, download the latest patches and try a couple of different games, if you still can't get onto one I will endeavor to host you on Fri to see if that works.
I think Fri Today is A OK AE, though I may still be suprised by the wife, I'll let you know.

Grey Paladin
2007-02-02, 05:21 AM
Dragor:You're welcome, the need for PWC files is there (as far as I know anyway) because the game now uses normal mapping and thus all modules need to be "baked" before they can be played, baking a module creates the walkmeshes in the form of the PWC file (as well as a bunch of other small nearly meaningless files).

Charity: Thing is, the PWC error is the only one that doesn't tells you why it happens, I trust our fellow users are competent enough to figure out problems they are told how to solve by the game itself.

And you do not need to download any files for modules that you have on your computer, hence why you can play the official campaign with others without needing to download anything save patches.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-02, 08:09 PM
C. Bad news. Version 1.4 fixes the monk AC bonus while wearing armour.

2007-02-02, 11:26 PM
I recently just started having issues with NWN 2. I'm going from the bonegnasher cave and going to the dwarven stronghold, and all of a sudden the last person listed in the party has stopped following me. Sometimes switching them to puppet mode works and sometimes it doesn't. I was wondering if anyone else had that issue or knows how to resolve it. I'm also having issues with multiplayer as someof you are, but I've just been playing the original NWN for that.

DeathQuaker
2007-02-02, 11:59 PM
I recently just started having issues with NWN 2. I'm going from the bonegnasher cave and going to the dwarven stronghold, and all of a sudden the last person listed in the party has stopped following me. Sometimes switching them to puppet mode works and sometimes it doesn't.

I've not heard of that one. You might try the Bioware forums (they host the NWN2 MBs even though they're not the devs)--most known issues are reported there somewhere.

Also, as usual--download the latest patch if you haven't and reload the game from before the bug happened. 1.04 just came up recently.

I'm also having issues with multiplayer as someof you are, but I've just been playing the original NWN for that.

I do not play NWN/NWN2 multiplayer, but from what I've seen, it's probably better to wait to do NWN2 multiplayer until they have some more of the kinks worked out. Obsidian has reported they're working on core gameplay issues first (since they affect both single players, who actually are the majority of NWN players, and multiplayers) before they tackle some of the specific multiplayer problems. You're right to stick to NWN for now.

Naltyrr
2007-02-20, 01:08 AM
I recently just started having issues with NWN 2. I'm going from the bonegnasher cave and going to the dwarven stronghold, and all of a sudden the last person listed in the party has stopped following me. Sometimes switching them to puppet mode works and sometimes it doesn't. I was wondering if anyone else had that issue or knows how to resolve it. I'm also having issues with multiplayer as someof you are, but I've just been playing the original NWN for that.

I had this problem: going to the tavern fixed it, I have no idea what causes it, but it hasn't to have shown up since then.

2007-03-03, 09:24 PM
anyone know of any decent modules for the game? The one that comes with NWN really sucks.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-05, 07:48 AM
anyone know of any decent modules for the game? The one that comes with NWN really sucks.

There's supposed to be a few out, and Planescape: Purgatorio is on its way. Check the Vaults.

It's gonna be awhile till there are a lot though... especially since the Toolset is a bit buggy still--and the good ones are going to take a long time to develop anyway. It's a new game, give it time.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-06, 07:19 AM
are Mordons going to be in it?
and Demi-Liches?
and a immortal who cannot remember his past?

i can't wait till some good PWs or MODs come out

DeathQuaker
2007-03-07, 07:33 AM
are Mordons going to be in it?
and Demi-Liches?
and a immortal who cannot remember his past?

Can't say for sure, but none are in screenshots. And to more broadly answer your question, no, it's not a sequel to Torment.

I did very plainly see in one of their screenshots a scantily clad tailed tiefling with spiky red hair and dual-wielding blades. Of course, it was probably Kylie the Tout (from the main Planescape setting). But we can dream....

Purgatorio (and its sequels) looks to be awesome. It's supposed to be out within the next few months. Check it out: http://www.roguedao.com

Dragor
2007-03-07, 08:59 AM
If you're in the UK, get the new edition of PC Gamer. There's a good selection of NWN2 mods and modules on there. Plus, a great new RPG coming from BioWare, called Dragon Age. Check it out. :smallsmile:

Katonta
2007-03-19, 10:44 PM
Got the game today, when I came back from Olympia actually, unpacked it, got really excited, and much to my despair, found that the CD key had been smudged with water or something. 9 characters are ILLEGIBLE! :smallfurious: Now, I got this off of Ebay, so I can't return it to the store, what I am going to try to do is call Tech Support and tell them about the CD key and I hope that I will be able to play. Otherwise, that guy who sold it to me off of Ebay is in trouble! Until then, I can borrow the CD key from a friend.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-20, 07:11 AM
Got the game today, when I came back from Olympia actually, unpacked it, got really excited, and much to my despair, found that the CD key had been smudged with water or something. 9 characters are ILLEGIBLE! :smallfurious: Now, I got this off of Ebay, so I can't return it to the store, what I am going to try to do is call Tech Support and tell them about the CD key and I hope that I will be able to play. Otherwise, that guy who sold it to me off of Ebay is in trouble! Until then, I can borrow the CD key from a friend.

That sucks! Good luck... hope you give the Ebay seller a bad review. There should be something you can at least do about that.

BTW patch 1.05 is in beta and should be fully released within the next couple weeks--you might wait till you resolve this and then download the patch, as it's supposed to add a bunch of new features and improved AI.

Katonta
2007-03-20, 09:36 AM
Fortunately, my friend was willing to let me borrow his CD key. We were planning on giving each other our keys so that we could play LAN, but until I call tech support, that isn't happening.

I'm glad to hear an improvement for the AI is coming. The AI truly does stink to high heavens. One other question, is Neeshka always that nervous around you? I'm a halfling monk and it just seems like she's acting weird.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-20, 12:45 PM
I'm glad to hear an improvement for the AI is coming. The AI truly does stink to high heavens. One other question, is Neeshka always that nervous around you? I'm a halfling monk and it just seems like she's acting weird.

Not sure what you mean by nervous. There's a couple of story-related situations where she behaves appropriately wigged out (she doesn't like the cave full of dead people. I wouldn't either!). Otherwise she's usually fairly confident. I imagine if she's being "nervous" it's to do with the particular place you are. The companions' interactions with you don't overall vary much, beyond the effect some influence checks have.

Maybe if you have low influence with her she acts more edgy? But I doubt the conversation scripting is that complex.

As for AI issues in general, I find it's helpful to put people on puppet mode and control them directly if necessary. But the new patch is putting in a version of Even's AI, which a lot of players I've heard are quite happy with.

Katonta
2007-03-20, 01:46 PM
When I first met her, she acted as if she had a crush, or something, on me. She acts very surprised and keeps switching whether she wants to steal from me or be my best friend, almost as if she doesn't know how to act or as if she is faced with something that she hasn't seen before. Probably because she's a tiefling but still.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-20, 03:57 PM
When I first met her, she acted as if she had a crush, or something, on me. She acts very surprised and keeps switching whether she wants to steal from me or be my best friend, almost as if she doesn't know how to act or as if she is faced with something that she hasn't seen before. Probably because she's a tiefling but still.

That's pretty much it. If you're nice to her, she wants to earn your friendship, but she's familiar with betrayal and isn't sure whether to fully trust you or not. Hence she dives forward to be friendly and then pulls back as if to make the point not to get too close.

It's actually a fairly consistent characterization, if you know the type. :smallamused:

Om
2007-03-21, 07:52 AM
There's supposed to be a few out, and Planescape: Purgatorio is on its way. Check the Vaults. A Planescape module? Damn. I might have to get NWN2 after all. Any idea if a GeForce 6200 will run the game?

DeathQuaker
2007-03-21, 09:18 PM
A Planescape module? Damn. I might have to get NWN2 after all. Any idea if a GeForce 6200 will run the game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2

According to that looks like you need a 6600 at least. Might depend on how well you fulfill the rest of thr reqs.

The Planescape module does look excellent however.

The game's not going to disappear though... take your time in upgrading, I'd say. I really like NWN2 but I knew the game was going to end up needing patching.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-21, 09:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2

According to that looks like you need a 6600 at least. Might depend on how well you fulfill the rest of thr reqs.

The Planescape module does look excellent however.

The game's not going to disappear though... take your time in upgrading, I'd say. I really like NWN2 but I knew the game was going to end up needing patching extensive repairs & major renovation.

fixed... he he he.

1.05 is out soon...ish yay!

i want Bioware to release a premium module for it & show the boys @ Obsidian how it's supposed to be done...

and an add-on pack with epic levels.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-22, 06:53 AM
i want Bioware to release a premium module for it & show the boys @ Obsidian how it's supposed to be done...

Um.... Bioware's OC wasn't all that great. I played it and liked it, but Obsidian's OC is overall a lot more engaging.

The trick is, just as with each expansion and module, Bioware improved upon themselves... Obsidian's got to live up to even higher standards now. I wish them luck.

and an add-on pack with epic levels.

I am sure that as long as Atari funds an expansion pack we'll get that when it comes out.

Om
2007-03-22, 07:41 AM
The game's not going to disappear though... take your time in upgrading, I'd say. I really like NWN2 but I knew the game was going to end up needing patching.Yeah that was my original plan... then I saw the Planescape module. Meh. I can wait.

Dragor
2007-03-22, 02:58 PM
I've got the following modules. Google 'em if you're interested, because I got them of a PC Gamer disc.

Mystery at Willowbow- your standard D&D adventure. It's got caves, spiders, drow and all the combat you'd like.
Vordans Hero Creator (basically a world where you can tool up your characters to fit into modules which don't start at level 1)
And Pool of Radiance sounds interesting, but my PC Gamer disc didn't have the file as promised- and it's the best module on there, apparently.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-23, 12:37 AM
http://vnmedia.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/images/nwn2modulesenglish/112/1172562826_fullres.jpg

OMG! BG on NWN2.... W00t

*celebrates*

Om
2007-03-23, 06:22 AM
OMG! BG on NWN2.... W00t

*celebrates*
You're not making my lack of NWN2 any easier :smallannoyed:

Katonta
2007-03-23, 09:39 AM
OMG! BG on NWN2.... W00t

*celebrates*
Now where do you get that?

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-23, 10:38 AM
I just got NWN2. Why is it my Warlock can't blast enemies in darkness, even with devil's sight up?

Wow Archon. Is that real? Where'd ya get it?

Katonta
2007-03-23, 01:34 PM
Sigh, my monk was getting whooped later on, so I decided to start over as a sorcerer. Poor monk could barely live through a fight with orcs. Besides, I was having too much fun with Qara.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-23, 02:02 PM
You're not making my lack of NWN2 any easier :smallannoyed:

Now where do you get that?

Wow Archon. Is that real? Where'd ya get it?

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=112

it's only a demo but they are planning to do the whole thing...

Katonta
2007-03-23, 10:10 PM
So far, the two worst things about NWN are 1) the AI, and 2) the fact that you have to have 7Gb of space before you can patch.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-23, 10:25 PM
So far, the two worst things about NWN are 1) the AI, and 2) the fact that you have to have 7Gb of space before you can patch.
i kinda think the whole lack of backward compatibility blows more than the 7Gb thing... though they never promised it.

Galdred
2007-03-24, 07:17 AM
OMG! BG on NWN2.... W00t

*celebrates*
Looks good, however, NWN2 interface is vastly inferior to BG one. Mostly because it is not possible to select several members at once, but there are other issues. I wish Obsidian publishes an XPack with an interface revamp :smallconfused:
What are the other good finishedNWN2 adventure mods? And which UI mod is the most widely used?

DeathQuaker
2007-03-24, 07:57 AM
Looks good, however, NWN2 interface is vastly inferior to BG one. Mostly because it is not possible to select several members at once, but there are other issues. I wish Obsidian publishes an XPack with an interface revamp

The "select all/select multiple members" feature's coming in patch 1.05 which is currently in Beta. You can download it right now, at this very second, as we speak, if you want to download a beta patch (I prefer to wait till final). (Go to the NWN2 boards at Bioware for more info--yes, Bioware, they still host the NWN2 forums.)

What are the other good finishedNWN2 adventure mods? And which UI mod is the most widely used?

The one everyone's touting is "Tragedy in Tragidor." Haven't played it myself but it's gotten good player reviews. And I would just wait for patch 1.05 to come out, because otherwise you'll probably have to do funky stuff with your overrides once it does.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-24, 02:32 PM
i downloaded that last night... it's not bad at all...

Katonta
2007-03-24, 07:12 PM
Why does the first Act have to be so long? I'm sick of that Brelania and her missions. Just because she's incompetent doesn't mean she has to take it out on me. Just let me into Blacklake already!

Edit: Calmed down now. Luckily, right after I posted this, I finished the tasks. The Second Act Awaits!

Edit 2: So, about when do you get the keep? Middle, beginning, or end of act 2? I've heard a little bit about it, and that it is a lot of fun. I've also heard that you can hire adventurers that burn down a tavern. Is it really as cool as it sounds?