PDA

View Full Version : nwn 2!

Pages : [1] 2

medinabard
2006-03-05, 07:33 PM
coming in june. any one else getting it

Maxymiuk
2006-03-05, 08:33 PM
Probably. Once I get my new 'puter. This ol' laptop just won't be able to handle the fancy graphics and whatnot.

Kish
2006-03-05, 08:54 PM
Yes.

medinabard
2006-03-05, 10:02 PM
found some screen shots http:/pc.ign.com/objects/674/674385.html

kleedrac
2006-03-05, 11:26 PM
Absolutely not. The only reason I bought the first game was to support their decision to port to Linux. The fact that they're not porting the sequel means myself and quite some others are avoiding it like the plague. That being said, I wish they would port it as I didn't mind the first one and the online community was pretty descent.

Gralamin
2006-03-06, 01:14 AM
Yes I'm getting it, and dragon age. Sometime I think just for fun I should find their building here in edmonton and just see if I could get a tour. That would be so cool...

rabid_midget
2006-03-06, 05:02 AM
I didn't see this post i started my own thinking nobody really new. but everybody here is probably a hardcore gamer so they didn't really need to know.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2006-03-06, 05:52 PM
The graphics look great, that's for certain! Does anyone have any news about mechanics of gameplay or, my personal favorite of any game, the storyline?

wrath
2006-03-06, 06:46 PM
I was a huge fan of the the Bioware release of NWN and KotOR, and I am guardedly hopeful for NWN II as the last hand-off from Bioware to Obsidian was less than I wished for, with the story being really hacked up at the end (http://www.team-gizka.org/). The word is that LucasArts rushed it out the door, so as long as Wizards/Hasbro don't do the same NWN II should be great. Obsidian was a part of the greatness that was Black Isle, that did Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and the other awesome D&D game and they have had extra time on NWN IIs, so it could be great

indianajoe
2006-03-06, 08:03 PM
Getting it

amorelli
2006-03-06, 08:03 PM
I'll get it, as long as two things about NWN 1 remain true.

1) It's gotta come out for mac, otherwise I would have some significant difficulties playing it

2) It has to have the same module building tools. Some of the best times I had playing it were in user created modules.

wrath
2006-03-06, 08:07 PM
The NWVault has a good roundup of info here
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=1

As far as I know,t he toolset is still in, and the DM client too. The only problem is it is directx 9.0c only, meaning no Mac or Linux port :'(

Behold_the_Void
2006-03-06, 08:18 PM
I'll probably pick it up at some point. Access to psionic characters would ensure that that point is sooner, of course, but nobody loves psionics.

rabid_midget
2006-03-07, 01:56 AM
I heard your just a villager in this town in this dangerous swamp and there a "mysterious" danger. sounds a bit cliche dont u think

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2006-03-07, 12:32 PM
Ah, but something is a cliche only because it is used so often, and something is only used often if it works well. The difference is whether it is well-used or poorly-used, how good the follow-through is, and whether there's a bit of twist to it to make it different than one expects...

Democratus
2006-03-07, 02:03 PM
The first NWN was an amazing game. I spent many an hour at the keyboard playing both the single-player campaign and then online with all the excellent homemade modules. I especially liked the builds of the old PnP modules like Pool of Radience.

I'll be buying NWN2 as soon as it's on the shelves.

captain_decadence
2006-03-07, 02:55 PM
once I replace this bad old computer I have, I'm getting it right away. I loved NWN and all of its sequels. I never played much oniline, just a few modules, but they were very good.

JeffreyToTheMax
2006-03-07, 05:06 PM
I have been playing NWN exclusively for about three years now. I will definitely be getting the new one when it comes out.

From the looks of it, pretty much everything is improved, including the toolset.

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-03-12, 07:40 PM
As soon as it comes out. I love mod making.

Sneak
2006-03-12, 07:48 PM
As soon as it comes out for Mac...IF it does...and they'd better port the toolset to Mac too, unlike last time. >:(

That Lanky Bugger
2006-03-12, 09:00 PM
Not a chance in hell, not unless there are significant changes to the engine. I don't care if it's a shift towards a more rules-set based engine or a shift towards more live action. The current mix and match engine strikes me as a poor man's RPG and a poor man's action game all rolled into one.

While the toolset certainly struck me as impressive way of building your own world, the engine on which the toolset runs is lackluster. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it were better planned.

CanadianWolverine
2006-04-02, 01:13 PM
First, I need to have a computer, a PC Gaming Rig, to be percise.

Then I am most definitely buying this game. It is actually through the forums on it that I learned about The Giant and this kick ass online comic.

The NEW developers, Obsidian Entertainment, have alot of respect for having team members that were involved with Fallout, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate. Next up, they have gained respect by posing Quality Assurance questions and answers to the community at large and especially their forum community. And it is a large community, there are still some active NWN1 servers and module builders many years after its initial release and the announcement of sequel development. Hardcore.

For the full scoop, you should check out three sites, depending on just how deep you want to explore the PC game development process:

The official site, just recently put online "officially" - http://www.atari.com/nwn2/

A bunch of hardcore fans keeping Atari and Obsidian on their toes, much to their delight - http://www.nwn2news.net/

And finally, the deluge of old and new ideas, rants, and ravings of fandom at another developer's place (Atari confusing, perish the thought) - http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/

Please note, I may have liberally sprinkled sarcasm and irony through-out the info provided, but I am serious in that I think this will be one sequel that is better than the first (Kinda like System Shock and System Shock 2 OR Half-Life and Half-Life 2). Especially The Toolset and The Official Campaign sloted for initial release.

TheTormented
2006-04-03, 11:23 AM
I deffinatly plan on getting it. It is going to be a vast improvemant from the first in all aspects and in fact it is litterally a different game as they've rewrote the engine.

I'll probablly play the OC, but my main interest is in the multiplayer aspect, DMing, and mod building!

Also, the sites posted from the above poster are deffinatly the best spots to find out info on the game. If anyone wants some quick quotes about different aspects of the game I've been compiling them on my forums here (http://noreshia.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=11df72d728e96775eff56aa16fb c8b5a)

Rhaego
2006-04-03, 01:36 PM
I plan on getting it too but I do hope the story is a bit more compelling. I'd like to see better factions too that a PC might align with - perhaps even various FR gods. I think it would be cool if there was a *major sidequest* that was somewhat connected to the main quest that your PC could interact with and such interaction would have a big impact on how they completed the main quest. I hope that made sense. Anyway, I think my other main point would be that I would like a less linear game but in no way would I want a sandbox game either.

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-04-03, 02:05 PM
I'll get this game when it hits the shelves. I can't wait.

The scalability factor is going to rock. Now I can actually make a giant stronghold look like giant stronghold.

CannibalGnome
2006-04-03, 05:37 PM
I'll entirely ignore the SP, and focus on RPing in two persistent worlds, Brynsaar and Luskan.

Sholos
2006-04-04, 08:03 PM
Out of curiosity, was anybody else bothered by the character creation? I'm a big fan of rolling for your stats, especially if I'm going to be stuck without a party. You know how hard the first level of NWN is with a 1st level mage?

Douglas
2006-04-04, 09:46 PM
You know how hard the first level of NWN is with a 1st level mage?
Yes, it's pathetically easy, thanks in large part to Summon Monster I summoning the rough equivalent of a level 2 or 3 fighter and lasting all day long. Add that to a panther familiar and a henchman, and you hardly have to do anything yourself. Just sit back and watch your trio of tanks slaughter the opposition.

Sholos
2006-04-04, 11:22 PM
On easy, maybe. Of course, you can't get a henchman until after the prologue (which is what I was calling the first level, silly me). On harder difficulties, it can be very annoying, especially if you get hit with a magic missle, or the prison's sorcerer's fireball (which can wipe you out even on easy).

Jothki
2006-04-05, 12:11 AM
Yes, it's pathetically easy, thanks in large part to Summon Monster I summoning the rough equivalent of a level 2 or 3 fighter and lasting all day long. Add that to a panther familiar and a henchman, and you hardly have to do anything yourself. Just sit back and watch your trio of tanks slaughter the opposition.

Yeah, I did that with a druid. Between my bear or dire wolf (I tended to switch them up between levels), my summoned monster/elemental, and Tomi (for thiefy goodness), I rarely got scratched. Best of all, I could cast heals too.

I don't know how powerful my character actually was compared to other classes, but it certainly felt abusive.

wrath
2006-04-05, 03:05 AM
Not a chance in hell, not unless there are significant changes to the engine. I don't care if it's a shift towards a more rules-set based engine or a shift towards more live action. The current mix and match engine strikes me as a poor man's RPG and a poor man's action game all rolled into one.

While the toolset certainly struck me as impressive way of building your own world, the engine on which the toolset runs is lackluster. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it were better planned.

They have been moving the game engine, it's called Electron now, and it's updated to Shader 2.0 graphics (mostly for dynamic lighting and particles), the items and characters are tintable and scalable, giving much more variety to them. Outdoors is wholly different, allowing for smooth elevation changes, rolling hills, etc. The toolset is also supposed to be greatly improved, the helpers like the quest wizard and NPC-construction wizard will be added to and other helpers like them used as well. Another great fix is the modal interface is gone, meaning you can have a script, a dialogue tree and an item property all open at once.

Basically it sounds totally awesome, and I plan on building a new PC soon so I can play it at its max settings.

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-04-05, 10:31 AM
I've played through the original NWN twice. Once as a druid and once as a wizard/rogue. I thought the wizard/rogue class was too easy. Take the monk people! Even the final fight was easy. The hardest boss was the evil cleric Dester(?) at the end of the first chapter.

I hope NWN2 has a more rewarding options than the first. You could make 'evil' decisions in the first game but it really didn't mean too much. What if I did want to join up with Airbeth and destroy Neverwinter? It would have been fun. I know thats a lot of additional programming but...

I am super excited about this game...as I've already posted twice. :)

Douglas
2006-04-05, 11:27 AM
On easy, maybe. Of course, you can't get a henchman until after the prologue (which is what I was calling the first level, silly me). On harder difficulties, it can be very annoying, especially if you get hit with a magic missle, or the prison's sorcerer's fireball (which can wipe you out even on easy).
I played on Hardcore difficulty. You get one of your fellow students as a temp prologue-only henchman in the prologue, so that's not an issue. The prison sorcerer's fireball is indeed a nasty thing to deal with, but that goes for any class, and I'm pretty sure both Tomi (my usual henchman choice) and your familiar have evasion by then.

Varen_Tai
2006-04-05, 12:38 PM
*sigh*

My current PC barely runs NWN 1 on the lower settings. In order to run NWN 2, I will have to buy a brand new PC. I think the only components I'll be able to keep are my sound card and case (and well, network card, of course). Everything else will have to be exchanged. And THAT'S a pretty penny that I simply don't have.

*double sigh*

Maxymiuk
2006-04-05, 05:08 PM
For me the game was for some reason the easiest with a sorcerer. Dunno why... maybe the sheer blasting power? And that was even before I discovered the lure of metamagic. ;D

And then there was the time the game glitched in the third act and suddenly I had 256 fireballs to play with... *glee*

wrath
2006-04-05, 05:13 PM
For NWN 1, I played the original campaign, both boxed expansions, and all the premium downloadable modules (all neatly wrapped up in the new diamond edition now) and spent a LOT of time online with some persistant worlds, as well as running a few games online as a DM. It was great.

I am hoping that NWN2 brings back the community to the game, as the original went pretty strong till sometime around mid-2005, now the online presence has dwindled significantly, and I can no longer get my gaming friends to play NWN.

GungHo
2006-04-14, 02:55 PM
I'll probably wait a few months until

1. All the showstopper bugs get fixed.
2. Decent mods are created.
3. I get a better computer.

I could probably run it, but the first reason is my biggest reason. I just don't trust Bioware/Obsidian to release a game without a load of bugs coming out the door.

Culwch
2006-04-14, 04:14 PM
Absolutely getting it at the earliest opportunity.

TheTormented
2006-04-16, 10:54 AM
Just as an FYi.

The game was pushed back and is now scheuled to be released in September.

Corestimah
2006-04-17, 09:24 PM
I plan to get it, but I might wait 'til the holidays in order to figure out my schedule after school and on the weekends.

I look forward to starting out as a tough nobody (well, as much as someone with a PC class can be ;)) in a town of tough people. Also, the official site says that there will be a new class option: the Warlock. I may have to give that a try ;D

Aries_Walker
2006-04-18, 10:31 AM
September, eh? Oh yes, I'll definitely have a new computer by then (my old steam-powered one barely runs Roller Coaster Tycoon 3).

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Wren
2006-04-18, 07:38 PM
Wish they'd release more information about it.

Ulicus
2006-04-18, 07:44 PM
They best make the Forgotten Realms elves the right height for a change. Really bugs me how they're always portrayed as the standard short elves... when they're not.

And I don't even LIKE the Forgotten Realms...

kamikasei
2006-04-19, 08:21 PM
I'll probably pick it up at some point. Access to psionic characters would ensure that that point is sooner, of course, but nobody loves psionics.
Adam Miller, who created one of the top module series for the original NWN, is already working on (prototyping it in the NWN1 engine) a series of modules for NWN2 featuring psionics. Also pirates. So while you won't be able to see it in the main game, that should at least give you a taste.

He's done an interview (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Interviews.Detail&id=236) about it.

indianajoe
2006-05-03, 10:33 AM
Some videos about NWN2 have been added to ign

I like what I see.
NWN2 Vids (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/674/674385/vids_1.html)

DeathQuaker
2006-05-03, 01:27 PM
Just as an FYi.

The game was pushed back and is now scheuled to be released in September.

Where'd you hear this? The official Web site and the fan-made FAQ both still say Summer 2006 or thereabouts.

That said, I don't really mind. I'd rather them playtest it be sure it's solid and come out late than force it to come out on time and buggy ("Temple of Elemental Evil" or "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" anyone?)

Oh yeah, and I am SO getting this when it comes out. I'm psyched--especially since some of the writers were the ones that worked on Planescape: Torment.

And I might even try my hand at module building (though I really have no skill scripting/programming so I don't know if I'll be able to pick it up or not. I never quite got the knack of it with the first NWN, but the toolset's supposed to be more user-friendly this time around).

TheTormented
2006-05-03, 01:49 PM
It's a direct quote from the NwN2 community manager that works for Obsidian Entertainment.

While the official press release does not go out until tomorrow, I promised I'd have some big news this week that has been asked many, many times.

The official release date for NWN2 is September 2006.

There you have it!

DeathQuaker
2006-05-03, 01:54 PM
It's a direct quote from the NwN2 community manager that works for Obsidian Entertainment.

Do you have a link?

TheTormented
2006-05-03, 01:57 PM
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=477040&forum=95

DeathQuaker
2006-05-03, 02:07 PM
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=477040&forum=95

AH! Thank you very much. :) Good, that gives me time to have a life for a little while.

Mick_the_Rogue
2006-05-05, 06:45 PM
Besides, hopefully with that added amount of time they can get the bugs out of it, unlike what happened in KOTOR2 (which in my opinion would've been a great game....if it were finished)

Banes
2006-05-06, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know if NWN2 will still be top-down 3/4 view? Or will they finally add in the First-person perspective (like so many mods did for NWN1)?

I have seen cut-scenes go to FP, but not sure if actual game play is stuck with 3/4 view.

Morrikan
2006-05-07, 02:49 PM
It... Is...MINE! I wants it... It is my preeeecioooous, seriously, i just replayed NWN1, NWN HOU, Witches Wake, Shadow Guard and Kingmaker, and am almost finished act 1 of SOU, This has to be the second or third time i have finished these, and it is not uncommon to see over 5 or 6 highest lv prestige class characters in my files :P My best would be my ranger/rangerprestiege, she fires 4 arrows a turn[without rapid shot], does hellish damage and absolutly rules this world.

indianajoe
2006-06-09, 04:29 PM
So umm...has an actual date been set for its release yet?

Lothorus
2006-06-13, 07:40 PM
I asked the guys at EB, and they said the day they were getting the game in was September 19th. Their words, not mine, so reader beware. I don't really have anything to back it up.
Also, the date might vary from store to store.

Vaynor
2006-06-18, 10:06 PM
Absolutely not. The only reason I bought the first game was to support their decision to port to Linux. The fact that they're not porting the sequel means myself and quite some others are avoiding it like the plague. That being said, I wish they would port it as I didn't mind the first one and the online community was pretty descent.
Yeah, no Mac version is similar, though I heard it was coming out fairly soon...

Big_Red_Bird
2006-06-19, 05:18 AM
My GPA was slipping at the end of last year, and this game is going to absolutely devastate it.
What I want is some differentiation (sp?) between types of clerics, like they had in IWD2 and BG2. In NWN you just picked your domains, any you wanted from the list, and typed in your deity. This really disapointed me. I love clerics, but they made them so generic. Maybe that will be bette this time.

Nero
2006-06-19, 10:16 AM
If you free up camera control in NWN1 you can go into FP view if you feel like it.

I personally will likely preorder this game(which I never bother doing)

I actually popped HotU in this weekend and played through acts two and three again...there may be nothing more fun than the battle in the Seer's camp at the end of act two directing all the troops rocks

Ended up with a dwarven fighter weapon master that dual weilded longswords...seems like almost every hit was a critical...I didnt even end up using a heal pot when I fought Mephisopales at the end (ok ok so I cheated and created a one screen mod where I can drop items and make myself awesome gear...resting gets annoying the 18th time through the game. ;D

(its also fun to be able to cast, hammer of the gods and dragon knight unlimited times per day as a melee toon)

indianajoe
2006-08-18, 05:54 PM
Decided that this topic needed some fresh meat added to it. They have released what the Races (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=492675&forum=95), Classes (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=493004&forum=95), and Prestige Classes (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=492737&forum=95) are going to look like.

I was just wondering if anyone had any builds in mind.

I'm debating whether or not I want to go with an Aasimar, or Half-Elf Fighter/Paladin/Divine Champion. What do you guys and girls think?

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-19, 12:14 AM
Races: I see they have Sun Elves with a bonus to Int. So... Sun Elf Wizard. If the rest system is anything like NWN, I shall be a god among mortals after a few levels.

Otherwise, I'll also wait a fair while to let other people test the game for me. Given that it's not Bioware making this game but Obsidian Entertainment, I have strong reservations about the main campaign being worth playing - not because of any inherent lack of skill on Obsidian's part, but because Kotor II showed that they're willing to buckle under pressure, slap together a crappy ending and ship the product before it's done. I hope that doesn't come up with NWN2, but I'll wait to find out from others.

Sholos
2006-08-19, 01:34 AM
I'm going to play a Warlock, just for the novelty.

Gralamin
2006-08-20, 02:09 AM
1st I belive you make a party in NWN2 (or so I've heard, Can't recall a link though), so depending upon how many characters, I think I'll have:
a teifling Warlock (mostly for flavor, and a challenge)
a teifling Wizard (Hey don't laugh at +2 to INT for getting spells when a sorcerer does, also I hate elves. Possibly might take a few levels in harper agent.)
Half Orc Barbarian/Frenzied Bezerker (Its pretty much a powergaming class...)
Aaismar Paladin/Neverwinter Nine (I think they sync pretty well)
Strongheart Halfling rogue/Shadow Theif of Amn (unless they screwed up description)
Gold Dwarf Cleric/Warpriest (look slike an intresting PRC, but need to preserve spells as much as possible, and +2 con is nice and fits well.)
Human Ranger/Shadow Dancer (hey it can work at level 7)
Druegar Fighter/Weaponmaster (Hey thats a good PRC and Druegar is nice)

Assuming 4 characters in a party I'd arrange them like this:
Party A,
Warlock
Paladin
Weaponmaster
Shadow Dancer

Party B,
Wizard
Frenized Beserker
Shadow Theif
War Priest

*goes off to check if hes crazy*
in any case if I'm wrong about party thing, that just means I have 8 characters to try....

edit: seems i'm crazy, (or maybe they were planning it but cut it, not important though...)

Archonic Energy
2006-08-20, 01:14 PM
soon....

*sets aside £40 for the "Chaotic Evil" Collectors Edition*

Sholos
2006-08-20, 01:45 PM
Collector's Edition? What's that?

Gene
2006-08-20, 11:21 PM
They come in a LG and a CE collectors edition. They basically just contain extra goodies (including minis!). I plan on getting the LG one due to the fact that I've already got the Mountain Troll mini that comes with the CE set and I don't need another one.

-Gene

Sholos
2006-08-21, 01:46 AM
Cool, where can I get them?

Archonic Energy
2006-08-22, 05:12 AM
They come in a LG and a CE collectors edition. They basically just contain extra goodies (including minis!). I plan on getting the LG one due to the fact that I've already got the Mountain Troll mini that comes with the CE set and I don't need another one.

-Gene

Strange... i can only get the CE version... now i need to find the LG version too...

Charity
2006-08-23, 06:08 AM
Strange... i can only get the CE version... now i need to find the LG version too...

Wow alignment sensitive marketing... amazing ;)

http://mariyo.cocolog-nifty.com/cool_sweets_cafe/images/macaron-fraise_thumb.JPG

Jarl
2006-08-25, 06:07 AM
Will there still be armor/weapon crafting? It's so fun.
It's like playing barbies, only insignificantly less emasculating.

-Armor dyes are fun, too, but they don't work on shields/weapons, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Archonic Energy
2006-08-25, 05:23 PM
Wow alignment sensitive marketing... amazing ;)

Where's TN? or CG?....

that's Alignmentist...

i'm sueing!

xaos_master
2006-09-07, 04:04 AM
Check out our PW for NWN2:

http://shattered-souls-pw.com./

Most of the scripting is already done so it's likely we will be one of the first PWs released.

Larrin
2006-09-07, 12:16 PM
1st I belive you make a party in NWN2 (or so I've heard, Can't recall a link though), so depending upon how many characters, I think I'll have:
a teifling Warlock (mostly for flavor, and a challenge)
a teifling Wizard (Hey don't laugh at +2 to INT for getting spells when a sorcerer does, also I hate elves. Possibly might take a few levels in harper agent.)
Half ....)

As far as i can tell, you only get to MAKE one character, You will meet your companions/henchmen so you don't get to choose race or what class they start with, but you will have utter control over their actions/progression (unlike NWN 1 and more like KOTR)

like you i wish it were otherwise, i miss the fun of planning a party as in baldurs gate and icewinddale.

PS:Many thanks to indianajoe for posting the race/class/PrstgClass links!!

Kish
2006-09-07, 02:02 PM
like you i wish it were otherwise, i miss the fun of planning a party as in baldurs gate and icewinddale.
Just the Icewind Dales. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were set up for you to create one character and meet potential companions, too.

(Yes, I know you could get around it, but 1) that involved claiming to be playing multiplayer when you weren't, and 2) it resulted in missing a lot of the game, as your companions were these zombies you'd created instead of characters who, especially in BG2, had a lot to say.)

Larrin
2006-09-08, 01:00 PM
i like zombies, zombies don't get mad and leave (that happened alot to me, i first lost the cleric/mage cuz she hated the dwarf, and then the dwarf because i was too good (but i got he elf back) and then the stupid paladin had to save his wife so he left, and jaheira had to deal with some crap of being a harper...actually that side quest was worth a lot of XP so i don't mind it that much...but the rest of them should have stayed put!

i hope NWN 2 henchmen learn to change to match my aligment rather then whining that i'm too good/too evil.

Archonic Energy
2006-09-09, 12:03 AM
i hope NWN 2 henchmen learn to change to match my aligment rather then whining that i'm too good/too evil.
I Dissagree. the NPCs should have their own personalitys and not have to change to keep up with you. if you didn't like their whining you should have found people more in line with your thinking.

i hope it's gonna be more like BG2 where good clerics won't follow you blindly while you kill and pillage your way through every home/town/city.

i hope they at least have a cameo from either Deekin or Minsc...

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-09, 04:52 PM
Stuff YOU like to know about NWN 2:

Character and party formation:

Yes, you can only do your main character, that's the only truly "created" char you will ever be able to do, BUT, there are around 9-10 NPCs that will be able to join you, including the famous Lord Nasher of NeverWinter.
Now, the parties are exactly the same way as in the Knights of the Old Republic series. You can control each of the members individually.

And since the almighty Obsidian is making this game, I expect good backgrounds, romances, and characters.

Release Date: 17 October for the USA, 20 October for the Europe

About Versions:

There's the "normal" version and the Limited Edition for the USA. PERIOD.

For Europe, There will be "normal", Chaotic Evil and Lawful Good. All these will be available for the UK.

Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil bring a miniature, artbook, soundtrack, a map, and some more stuff.

Miniature from Lawful Good version: Bahamut, the Dragon.

Miniature from Chaotic Evil: Mountain Troll

At the release THERE WILL NOT BE DM CLIENT! It will be available some time later, because like a Dev said, they prefer to delay it instead of releasing a poorly done version.

About the AI:

It has been improved it is said, but now that you have direct control over all members of your party, it isn't a critical spot for you, the player, but let us hope we are facing some cunning monsters in later areas.

Combat:

The Dance of Death is no more! (For my sadness...:'() Now the characters will no longer circle around your oponent while fighting. There will still be plenty of combat animations (Although on all videos so far, the combat is *slash*, arms down, *slash*, arms down. This is due to the fact the latest video is dated of...2-3 months ago). This will improve tactics, since now the tank can completely block the doorway, and so the Rangers/Wizards/Clerics or whatever ranged, can safely heal/shoot/blast away without the tank suddenly moving to the right and making all the way clear.

It is also interesting to add how the Spellcaster now have "Area of Effect" (AOE) templates. This AOE template will allow you to see how far that beautiful Fireball will cause damage, and so, allow you to avoid delivering some nasty friendly fire.

Game Progression:

Remember in NWN when you beated a chapter, and once you moved out to the next chapter (aka: module), you could never return to the previous ones?

That is no more! NWN 2 also has it's own plot and chapters of course, but if you finish one, you can always return to the places of the previous chapter, EXCLUDING some. These are probably related to very important quests or bosses and probably places you blow up, you crazy Spellcasters ;).

Stronghold:

Ever wondered how it would feel to own a fort with your own private Guard? Wonder no more, NWN 2 will give you that possibility :) We are hoping there will be quests related to it...it would be great to have a "Defend the Fort" quest.

Mini Games

According to a Dev, there is a confirmed mini game inside NWN 2 campaign but it will be optional. And it is also confirmed it has rewards. C'mon, lets at least give it a try.

Death System

I do not know how the Death System will be, but I know it will be diferent from NWN 1. I think now if we die, we die, no stone to get us back. A bit more hardcore ;). But I am not certain of this.

System Requirements:
Recommended system requirements

* 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1GB System RAM
* ATI Radeon X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or higher video card

Minimum system requirements

* Windows XP
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card with DirectX 9.0c compatible driver
* CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework for toolset (included)
* Broadband connection for multiplayer online play
* Keyboard, Mouse

Supported video cards (I have no idea if these are all there is or no. Maybe there are more, maybe there aren't)

* ATI Radeon X1900 series
* ATI Radeon X1800 series
* ATI Radeon X1600 series
* ATI Radeon X1300 series
* ATI Radeon X850 series
* ATI Radeon X800 series
* ATI Radeon X700 series
* ATI Radeon X600 series
* ATI Radeon X300 series
* ATI Radeon 9800 series
* ATI Radeon 9600 series
* ATI Radeon 9500 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 series

Right now, I can't think of anything else to say, except:

Playing as a Chaotic Good Warlock Dwarf, who, I expect, will get some dwarven spectacles/glasses later on :)

(AND YES! I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT! I NEED IT AS MUCH AS I NEED AIR!!)

Crazy Owl
2006-09-09, 04:58 PM
I think The Chaotic Evil miniture is a troll not a giant because I remember reading somewhere (might even be this board) some one saying they pre-ordered the Lawful Good version because they already had the troll in the chaotic evil version. Yeah a late good Dm client is better than a early crappy one in my opinion.

Arang
2006-09-10, 01:19 PM
I read that post too. I guess that means it's true.

October 20 never seemed so far away ... Does anyone know the minimum requirements? I fear an upgrade.

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-10, 02:16 PM
I read that post too. I guess that means it's true.

October 20 never seemed so far away ... Does anyone know the minimum requirements? I fear an upgrade.

My previous post has been updated. Corrected the miniature information aswell. It's a Mountain Troll.

Sholos
2006-09-10, 07:33 PM
If I have a 2.22 GHz processor, but 1 Gb RAM, will I be okay?

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-10, 07:44 PM
*shrugs* You will be able to run the game, sure, but you probably can't have many "pretty and shiny" stuff on. A good thing to always eliminate is shadows. Huge "suckers" those are...and are somewhat useless as "eye candy".

Archonic Energy
2006-09-11, 02:52 AM
i wonder if my laptop's "GeForce Go 7800GTX with 256MB of DDR3 memory" will be sufficent... well it plays Oblivion at top whack...

MUST GET NWN 2

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-11, 03:36 AM
I think I'll give it a definate 'yes', Oblivion is going to be much more graphically intensive then NWN2. Haven't seen many other games - F.E.A.R., maybe Quake IV - that are as heavy on the video card. Not a bad laptop, but what's your battery life like? *laughs*

Archonic Energy
2006-09-11, 03:40 AM
I think I'll give it a definate 'yes', Oblivion is going to be much more graphically intensive then NWN2. Haven't seen many other games - F.E.A.R., maybe Quake IV - that are as heavy on the video card. Not a bad laptop, but what's your battery life like? *laughs*
F.E.A.R. yep
Quake IV. Yep
X3: the Return. Yep (though it defetes the point of a laptop when you have to carry a joystick with you)

as for battery...
45 mins...

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-11, 04:02 AM
Surprisingly decent for a high-end gaming laptop. :)

Otherwise, avoided X3: The Reunion. I refuse to let Starforce onto my system. -_- Horrible protection scheme.

Archonic Energy
2006-09-11, 05:01 AM
Surprisingly decent for a high-end gaming laptop. :).
45 mins Idleing is GOOD? but i must admit that i rarely use it without a mains supplh

Otherwise, avoided X3: The Reunion. I refuse to let Starforce onto my system. -_- Horrible protection scheme.
but the game is so GOOD...

oh and GO NWN 2... soon my pressious

Stronghold:

Ever wondered how it would feel to own a fort with your own private Guard? Wonder no more, NWN 2 will give you that possibility :) We are hoping there will be quests related to it...it would be great to have a "Defend the Fort" quest.
*polymorph self. Red Dragon Form*
Rawr.

*the "Attakers" flee in terror*
he he he.

Arang
2006-09-12, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the update. It seems as if I'm in the clear for recommended, if only barely. Only exactly, to be precise. At least when it comes to CPU and RAM, my graphics card seems to be a bit higher than needed. ;D

I am so playing a Sorcerer! Again... :-[

Tom_Violence
2006-09-12, 12:04 PM
I bet I get shafted on the system requirements, and then have to go a very long time without being able to play the game as I'm poor student with not nearly enough cash to upgrade. Damn developers making games that are too much for my crappy system.

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-12, 02:12 PM
45 mins Idleing is GOOD? but i must admit that i rarely use it without a mains supplh

For a high end laptop? Yes. That video card sucks down a fair bit of power, even idling, as does the processor in that sort of system. I've seen a number of gaming laptops that can only manage 20-30 minutes off the wall.

Anthallis
2006-09-12, 06:00 PM
I can't wait for it, bring it out sooner!

I'm gonna down the Ranger/Harper Agent path.

Animal Companion: ;D
"Kill them fluffy!!!"

Archonic Energy
2006-09-14, 03:42 PM
For a high end laptop? Yes. That video card sucks down a fair bit of power, even idling, as does the processor in that sort of system. I've seen a number of gaming laptops that can only manage 20-30 minutes off the wall.
as i've said to countless people "it's not a laptop... it's a compact desktop replacement..."

i was in game yesterday and still think it's coming out in September... maybe i'll see it on the shelves before it's supposed to be there.

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-14, 05:58 PM
I'm totally getting it... I am the ultimate NWN player.

Tom_Violence
2006-09-15, 03:40 AM
I'm totally getting it... I am the ultimate NWN player.

Aren't we all?

As for release dates, Amazon.co.uk says 20 October, and I find them to generally be pretty accurate. I think I read somewhere that the 17th is the date for the US, which I'm guessing is just the otherside of a weekend.

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-15, 08:32 PM
Yeah. Which is close to my birthday, so I can get it then!

Lumenadducere
2006-09-16, 03:52 AM
Yeah, it got pushed back to October for developing reasons...I'm getting it, but I hope it's not rushed like KotOR was.

Gralamin
2006-09-17, 01:35 AM
as i've said to countless people "it's not a laptop... it's a compact desktop replacement..."

i was in game yesterday and still think it's coming out in September... maybe i'll see it on the shelves before it's supposed to be there.

My labtop has a 2 hour battery life, and is a high end gaming labtop (3.2 ghz, Ati Radeon x1600 Graphics card, etc.)

Also I preorded NWN2 ;D

This means in 5 Days I'll have access to the NWN2 Toolset, a full month before its released!

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-17, 11:41 AM
Yeah, the toolset would've been up for download tomorrow, but they pushed it back.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-17, 03:55 PM
I told myself I wouldn't buy it. I'll give in eventually, probably. I ended up playing KotOR and Jade Empire despite having no intentions to.

I don't like the graphics much. They're better and all but the style just doesn't appeal.

Don Beegles
2006-09-21, 06:25 PM
I am definitely getting it, the only question being do I buy it when it comes out and waste the money I'm saving up for going to England, or do I wait until Christmas. Every game I've played by Bioware has been incredible: NwN and its expansions, which have great gameplay and a pretty good plot, especially HotU, and the KotORs, which are fun and both have better plots than teh movies, despite the definiciency in #2. I even tried BG, but neither really did it for me, though I can see why they might be considered good as well.

In fact, NwN may be my favorite game, bar none. Every time I see threads about it I lament my stupidity in throwing out the instruction book once i knew it by heart, completely forgetting that that's where teh CD keys were, and then uninstalling the game when I was done for some reason that I've never been able to decipher on hindsight.

Gralamin
2006-09-22, 12:39 AM
1 hour and 25 minutes till the toolset is released ;D

Arang
2006-09-22, 07:20 PM
Looks like it got pushed back to November 3rd.

Guess that means a better game. ;D

Archonic Energy
2006-09-25, 04:29 PM
pre-orders for "exclusive in-game content"... and the toolset...

my lappy is ill...

i'm not amused!

indianajoe
2006-09-25, 04:46 PM
i'm not amused!

This amused me! (http://wyrdwood.org/toolset2/)

I yanked it from one of the NWN2 forums. Enjoy ;D

Archonic Energy
2006-09-25, 04:51 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA H AHA HA HA HA HAH.
LOL
RTFL...

*cough*

he he he.

Very good...

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-28, 05:45 PM

Thank you for the wonderful laugh! ;D

Finwe
2006-09-30, 10:05 PM

hahahahaha.

Gralamin
2006-10-01, 01:23 AM
40 minutes till the release of the map editor (and I hope they mean it this time)

edit:
come on atari, let me download it!

Archonic Energy
2006-10-02, 05:34 PM
40 minutes till the release of the map editor (and I hope they mean it this time)

edit:
come on atari, let me download it!

you got it yet?

Gralamin
2006-10-03, 01:40 AM
you got it yet?

I do now.

Larrin
2006-10-03, 03:45 PM
I do now.

How big is it?

sadly i expect that it would take a year or so to download it on my dial up :(

indianajoe
2006-10-03, 04:42 PM
I'm downloading it now. 9 parts 250 megabytes each.

Larrin
2006-10-03, 05:27 PM
WOW, i could do it in 13 hours.....

Will it be shipped with the game as well, or is the only way to get it via download??

Archonic Energy
2006-10-03, 05:55 PM
I do now.

where from? i looked at the site but...

i prefer biowares site layout.
*waves cane at obsidian*

Gralamin
2006-10-04, 08:26 AM
where from? i looked at the site but...

i prefer biowares site layout.
*waves cane at obsidian*

check ataris.

just a warning though, Ataris FTP really sucks. Therefore I gave them my key code, and I went off for a torrent.

indianajoe
2006-10-30, 11:33 AM
I just can't wait for tomorrow much longer. I'll be really disappointed if this game doesn't live up to the hype.

Enoxice
2006-10-30, 01:14 PM
I'm excited enough for the SP, but the Multi-player (particularly the persistants) is what really got me hooked on the first one.

TheTormented
2006-11-01, 01:55 PM
I'm surprised not seeing a bunch of posts in here since the game is out!

I'm stuck at work so I have to wait to get my copy...

I'm excited enough for the SP, but the Multi-player (particularly the persistants) is what really got me hooked on the first one.

QFT the multiplayer is the best, though don't expect anything out (at least off decent quality) for awhile. I'm building a PW and it's going to take some time to actually release a good amount of stuff!

Tom_Violence
2006-11-01, 02:31 PM
I've decided to take the risk and pre-order myself a copy. So what that really means is that in a few days you can expect to see a very rude message from me expressing my displeasure at my machine for not being able to run the damn thing.

DocZoid
2006-11-01, 03:36 PM
Picked up a copy today, from Future Shop.
Downloading patch right now, 72%...

Gralamin
2006-11-01, 06:36 PM
Installing

Theres already a patch?

DocZoid
2006-11-01, 06:40 PM
Yes, they released a day 1 patch. It includes (a beta of?) the Dungeon Master Client, so it was definitely a welcome release..

Gralamin
2006-11-01, 11:54 PM
I am so addicted to this game already.

But one problem: Warlocks don't seem to have their magic item ability. Maybe I'm trying it wrong though...

Oh and a note for cheaters:
~ DebugMode 1 still works
You can also type commands in to see a list of commands including things like:
givefeat [feat ID]
For this 944 is brew potion. You can find it in the toolset

Enoxice
2006-11-02, 12:54 AM
So. Much. Fun.

Well worth the wait.

Psiwave
2006-11-02, 10:26 AM
It's arrived! have to go to work in two hours. drat!

indianajoe
2006-11-02, 02:31 PM
You know. It runs pretty well on my machine and I only meet minimum reqs. I'm a happy Joe.....that being said. I can't wait for some great online play with some pws.

I wonder if anyone will create a OotS pw. That would be fun.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-02, 02:42 PM
14 Hrs Remaining...

Enoxice
2006-11-02, 09:20 PM
You know. It runs pretty well on my machine and I only meet minimum reqs. I'm a happy Joe.....that being said. I can't wait for some great online play with some pws.

I wonder if anyone will create a OotS pw. That would be fun.

Yeah, can't wait for PWs either!:biggrin:

NWN2 Gameworld List at NWVault (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=LatestAdditions&clusters=nwn2gameworlds&days=30&show_days_back=1)

Sholos
2006-11-03, 02:21 AM
Will NWN2 run on a GeForce FX 5200?

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-03, 03:58 AM
Hey!

The fact sheet at NWN Vault ( http://nwvault.ign.com/faq/index.php?category=8#8_1_3 ) says that NWN 2 will install on your system. However, it's recommended requirements are so high (Nvidia 6800 or better) that it probably won't run well. You'll have to turn off as many graphical features as you can to achieve playable framerates.

Sholos
2006-11-03, 04:03 AM
So, basically, it'll run, but it'll look like crap? What level of crap, though? That's a good question. If it's not too bad, I could live with it until I get a new computer. Still....

indianajoe
2006-11-03, 09:15 AM
Like I said earlier. I meet the bare minimum of requirements. I still think it runs semi-smoothly on my computer. I played it for 4 hours last night with no problems what so ever. Sure the FPS are kind of shoddy but I still think it runs well.

Enoxice
2006-11-03, 11:29 AM
I've got it installed on my laptop (no linux support [yet] and I don't want to boot into Windows just to play, as good as the game is). I don't know the specs of it off the top of my head, but it's certainly not top of the line, the game runs fine after I turn off a few of the fancier graphical options.

Even if it doesn't take kindly to your 5200, a better card than that will be relativley short money.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-03, 11:50 AM
updating...

so. soon...

Sonic_Moronic
2006-11-03, 01:22 PM
Im getting it, i just hope they put much things in "Graphics" option menu, so i can put all that to very low and enjoy :D

Enoxice
2006-11-03, 01:37 PM
Yeah, you can turn almost everything down/off so it runs well on iffy hardware.

Sholos
2006-11-03, 02:16 PM
I've got it installed on my laptop (no linux support [yet] and I don't want to boot into Windows just to play, as good as the game is). I don't know the specs of it off the top of my head, but it's certainly not top of the line, the game runs fine after I turn off a few of the fancier graphical options.

Even if it doesn't take kindly to your 5200, a better card than that will be relativley short money.

Question. What can I update to? Obviously, with the 5200, I've got a PCI port, but no PCI express. Aside from that, I've got absolutely no clue on cards. I just play games, or try to.

DocZoid
2006-11-03, 03:51 PM
Question. What can I update to? Obviously, with the 5200, I've got a PCI port, but no PCI express. Aside from that, I've got absolutely no clue on cards. I just play games, or try to.
Are you sure it's PCI? Quite likely you have AGP. If that is the case you could go as high as a 7800GS, pretty much the best card around these days.

I have a 6800GS, and it runs NWN2 very well. And pretty much anything else.

Sholos
2006-11-03, 03:57 PM
Pretty sure it's a PCI. Any way to find out without opening the computer up?

Enoxice
2006-11-03, 04:22 PM
According to the internet, there are both pci and agp models of the 5200.

If you open up your computer to find out, an agp slot is usually off-set from the pci slots (closer to the edge). here's a picture for reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AGP_slot.jpg

If it is PCI, your options are slightly more limited, though chances are you have an agp slot even if you aren't using it.

Sholos
2006-11-03, 05:20 PM
Meh, I'll have to look at it sometime. Right now, I've got to get ready for work.

Gralamin
2006-11-03, 07:45 PM
Would anyone here have any idea on how to make custom classes? Right now I'm playing around with the classes .2da file, and need to now what the "Name", "Plural", and "lower" fields mean.
edit: oh and the description as well. I'm guessing they refer to another .2da file?

DocZoid
2006-11-03, 08:56 PM
Something I've been wondering about as well, there is a topic about it on the main NWN2 forums.

I believe it is in the dialog.tlk file, but you'd want to make a custom one. Which I have no idea how to do.
EDIT: From reading the forums it seems that custom TLK's are not functioning properly but will be fixed next patch.

Wow.

Soniku
2006-11-04, 09:50 AM
Fun fun, I like the game (especially the crazy dwarf) although I have found two problems I hope will be patched or modded:

My machine can run Oblivion well on medium to high settings and struggles horribly on the absolute lowest NWN2 modes :x... (anyone had this problem apart from me? I'm talking under 10 fps)

The interface... bring back my radial menus! And the text boxes are horrible, it would be much better if you could move them and change what appeared in each one.

Well, other than that I love it, and it looks awesome even on the lowest settings. And the quickcast menu definately more than makes up for haveing to click through the quickslots instead of shift/ctrl.
I mean, who has more than ten non-caster things they will want at a moments notice, especially considering the modes (parry, sneak) and bard songs have their own little toolbar

indianajoe
2006-11-04, 04:28 PM
Who else is addicted to this game already? I know I am.

Gralamin
2006-11-04, 05:26 PM
I have my copy of the world builders guide right by me.
It's the best use of $25 Canadian if you like world building.

indianajoe
2006-11-04, 09:47 PM
What kind of world are you going to build?

The Evil Thing
2006-11-05, 08:44 AM
Ok, by the looks of things I could throw natural twenties on Will Saves and still be forced to keep playing this game.

I must admit I'm not really a fan of the interface; I think it's too clunky and slow. It's nice that we can finally control party members and all that because the character AI is absolutely dire (and not in the sense that it's vicious, dangerous and magically enhanced). Spellcasters don't seem to get the idea that casting fireball on a heavily wounded goblin surrounded by the rest of the party is probably not the best plan.

Does anyone else find the dramatic irony of the storyline frustrating?

As usual, Cr*psfire butchers the FPS something awful so best turn that off. (Does that answer your question, Soniku?)

indianajoe
2006-11-06, 09:51 AM
Has anyone figured out how to make the elemental essences? i.e. faint earth essence, weak water...etc

Tom_Violence
2006-11-06, 02:36 PM
I hate you all. The damn thing won't run on my aging laptop. Oh, the woes of being a poor student come back to haunt me once more.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about Shader Emulators?

The Evil Thing
2006-11-06, 02:49 PM
indiana: Get a pestle and mortar, find alchemical crafting components, skill up Craft Alchemy and use said pestle and mortar on the components. Read descriptions to see if you have a crafting component and what skill level of CA you need.

To be honest, finding the right gems means that magic crafting is strictly niche. It might be worthwhile if the damn shops didn't run out of money.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-07, 07:59 AM
huh... wha... what do you mean it's tea time?

i'll give it 5 more minutes... then i'll go to bed.

and other excuses...

anyone else think that they've "got a problem"?

*loads game*

The Evil Thing
2006-11-07, 02:33 PM
I've just noticed that the NWN2 folder is in My Documents. Major kudos to Obsidian because this is so much more convenient than NWN1 it's unreal.

Zedgo
2006-11-07, 06:50 PM
My machine can run Oblivion well on medium to high settings and struggles horribly on the absolute lowest NWN2 modes :x... (anyone had this problem apart from me? I'm talking under 10 fps)
If you have a Nvidia Card make sure to get the latest version. I never had the problem but they say it clears up FPS problems

Archonic Energy
2006-11-07, 07:44 PM
can anyone suggest a good module?

please.

indianajoe
2006-11-07, 07:59 PM
I haven't really found a good one yet either. I would say wait a month or so. Let the modders finish their worlds for yah.

DocZoid
2006-11-07, 08:32 PM
Yeah there isn't really anything out there yet.

Rainspattered
2006-11-07, 08:33 PM
I am so glad I did not pay for this game. Thank oyu, o wonderous discounts. Most of the flaws of d20, few of its benefits, absolutely no non-core races except sub-races, and such a terrible campaign it makes me want to stop writing forever in the unlikely chance I create something so bad.

Enoxice
2006-11-07, 10:15 PM
I am so glad I did not pay for this game. Thank oyu, o wonderous discounts. Most of the flaws of d20, few of its benefits, absolutely no non-core races except sub-races, and such a terrible campaign it makes me want to stop writing forever in the unlikely chance I create something so bad.

The true beauty of the game is in the modules.

Gralamin
2006-11-08, 01:10 AM
Burn the Heretic!

As for world, I'm making a fairly basic adventure with a cliffhanger for now.

Wren
2006-11-08, 03:35 AM
So I've put some time into this game, maybe not as much as I'd like but I still have some opinions on it.

First of all, graphically, it doesn't look much better than NWN1 and it runs slower. I'll chalk this up to my sub par processor, but my card should handle everything at medium to low just fine. I'm sure it looks great on a super computer. Sort of on the same note, I really like there being an actual Z axis, i.e. hills ectect.. "up".

The sound.. oh god, the sounds. Why am I hearing the same music and ambience from NWN1? Did they decide to save some money by just not hiring any musicians and sound engineers? Maybe this changes later on, but I'm still hearing the same sounds that I got sick of in NWN1.

AI is as dumb as ever before. "Hey.. uh, I'm disarming this trap please don't.. oh, you ran over it to engage an enemy *sigh*". You can manually stop them yourself, but thats not really AI is it? In NWN1 I got around this by not having any melee fighters in my group besides myself, looks like I'll have to do the same thing here.

I like the world map. Of course, Daggerford did this with NWN1 first, so I'm not ready to give the NWN2 people full credit :0

I'm not far enough in to really judge the story, I just hope its more than a collection quest, like NWN1. Its an RPG, I KNOW everything I collect will be for naught and I'll have to fight the big baddie anyways, stop trying to surprise me.

Not too impressed, but its still not that bad and I will give it more play time.

edit: also, I am looking forward to the custom content that will be out there in time. It looks like you can do more than ever with the dev tools. This part of NWN2 I am still excited about.

The Evil Thing
2006-11-08, 12:20 PM
I like the world map. Of course, Daggerford did this with NWN1 first, so I'm not ready to give the NWN2 people full credit
And BG2 and Fallout did it before them. :smalltongue:

I agree that the AI is dire, I turn off every AI option there is. (My spellcasters are on puppet mode.)

The warlock class seems rather fun, anyone tried it out properly yet?

Tom_Violence
2006-11-08, 02:22 PM
*rattles his donations tin so he can upgrade and finally experience this damn game!*

Archonic Energy
2006-11-08, 02:29 PM
Burn the Heretic!

"Burning's too good for them.. Nail them up i say"
Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian'

Ther be a spoiler from the OC below...
enter at ye own peril.
stupid corrupt guards... *grumble*

*rattles his donations tin so he upgrade and finally experience this damn game!*
*puts in a penny*
Spend it Wisely.

indianajoe
2006-11-08, 03:01 PM
stupid corrupt guards... *grumble*

Agreed. :smallmad:

Wren
2006-11-08, 06:17 PM
And BG2 and Fallout did it before them. :smalltongue:

BG2 and Fallout aren't NWN though. Although, Daggerford was made by some BG2 people, so I guess it isn't too far off. (DF being a great NWN module)

Tom_Violence
2006-11-08, 06:37 PM
*puts in a penny*
Spend it Wisely.

Clearly I ought to set up some sort of PayPal account. :amused:

Muz
2006-11-08, 07:11 PM
Anyone else having trouble just FINDING the darned game? I didn't look until this week, but nowhere anywhere near where I live in Seattle seems to have it in stock.

This is probably a good thing, really, since I promised myself I'd wait until I heard some more reviews and such, but still... :)

Rainspattered
2006-11-08, 07:18 PM
The true beauty of the game is in the modules.

It's still essentially D&D narrowed down immensely from the P&P scope and what you could freely do in that; D&D restricted, with almost-good visuals to do your imagining for you. The fact that you'd have to edit it beyond belief and essentially make your own game with a few of their tools to make this game passable pretty much sums up my opinion of it.

Sholos
2006-11-09, 02:19 AM

"Discounts"? No store I know of gives 100% discounts.

Tom_Violence
2006-11-09, 05:03 AM
It's still essentially D&D narrowed down immensely from the P&P scope and what you could freely do in that; D&D restricted, with almost-good visuals to do your imagining for you. The fact that you'd have to edit it beyond belief and essentially make your own game with a few of their tools to make this game passable pretty much sums up my opinion of it.

People said the same things about the first one, and look what a runaway success that was. Why? I don't know exactly but its fair to say that there are people out there who love having the best bits of the game defined by the community. Its such a great sandbox. I never understood people who judged the first game solely around the original campaign that came with it, without ever realising that what it basically is is an engine for people to make their own adventures with.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-09, 07:04 AM
"Discounts"? No store I know of gives 100% discounts.

well maybe he wasn't given a 100% discount.
maybe he took a 100% discount
and maybe he shold give the game to someone who'll enjoy it more.

and maybe i should learn to type/spell

MrNexx
2006-11-09, 09:22 AM
I just learned I'm likely to get a free copy from my younger brother... he wound up with two. Sweet!

Wren
2006-11-09, 01:39 PM
I just learned I'm likely to get a free copy from my younger brother... he wound up with two. Sweet!

Accidentally?

Sholos
2006-11-09, 02:49 PM
well maybe he wasn't given a 100% discount.
maybe he took a 100% discount
and maybe he shold give the game to someone who'll enjoy it more.

and maybe i should learn to type/spell

Like me! I certainly wouldn't object to a copy of the game.

The Evil Thing
2006-11-09, 04:31 PM
BG2 and Fallout aren't NWN though. Although, Daggerford was made by some BG2 people, so I guess it isn't too far off. (DF being a great NWN module)
Of course the world map feature was original to NWN, I was just pointing out that it was hardly an original concept. Heck, KotOR had a map system, just not a very obvious one (star map).

Rainspattered
2006-11-09, 11:45 PM
People said the same things about the first one, and look what a runaway success that was. Why? I don't know exactly but its fair to say that there are people out there who love having the best bits of the game defined by the community. Its such a great sandbox. I never understood people who judged the first game solely around the original campaign that came with it, without ever realising that what it basically is is an engine for people to make their own adventures with.

The first game was okay without including mods. This one might end up passable with excellent mods. It's a mess.
As I said above that, too, it's not a great sandbox. It's a very, very limited one that's nowhere near as expansive as the D&D rules allow, and its only advantage over that much more freeform sandbox is that NWN has pretty pictures for those of us who are unable to imagine. Pretty pictures can be nice, but "pretty" doesn't really apply in this case, and it's not worth the trade off of gaming freedom for them. So I'm not just judging it based on the original campaign.

I actually am giving my copy of the game away to a friend without much money. I actually do get a hundred percent discount, sort of. I get a certain amount of dollars, rather than percent, off, and I don't buy enough computer games for it to get cut down, so eventually I save up and can get a free game with it.

MrNexx
2006-11-10, 04:48 PM
Accidentally?

Yeah. He ordered one, then bought one in the store, but wasn't able to cancel the order in time (I have no idea why; one of them was a special edition, though).

Crazy Owl
2006-11-10, 05:23 PM
Im getting NWN2 this weekend hopefully and I was wondering if they managed to put the real way of control undead in or atleast made it so you can control four undead because in the first one only being able to control one undead which had a time limit didnt seem right.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-10, 07:05 PM
Yeah. He ordered one, then bought one in the store, but wasn't able to cancel the order in time (I have no idea why; one of them was a special edition, though).

CE or LG?

you get a funky Ring with the CE edition... it says Chaotic Evil... that's me to a tea... well apart from the chaotic... and the evil... meh looks cool tho.

Thomas
2006-11-10, 11:02 PM
I can not say how I regret buying this right after seeing it (Thursday, Nov 9th). (DVD versions, Finnish EU release but all in English.)

The game has fatal bugs that prevent me from playing it (every time I try to travel to Neverwinter's Merchant Quarter after arriving at the Docks, the game just winds down and freezes indefinitely in the loading screen, at 0% progress).

Patching does not work. (The patching issues have dozens and dozens of pages of threads on the NWN2 official forums, self-help section.) Nothing works. It dies at 600_Githyanki_Caves.mod every single time (except when it died at an earlier point; the Highcliff.mod file, I think), at around 1% progress. I've reinstalled, I've wrangled, I've repeated, I've shut down every imaginable program... no dice.

It's a decent game (I can overlook the countless missing features, the AI on par with a squirrel that got run over by a car, the awkward controls and poor quick-use features, etc.), but I really, really wish I had not bought it. I waited for NWN until it was on sales a year or more after being released, and obviously should've waited similarly for NWN2. Maybe by then they'd have released WORKING patches that actually fix the issues.

Do yourself a favor - don't get it. You're going to be gambling your $50 - $80 (or whatever) on what looks like a 50-50 chance to get either a decent D&D game or a really, really poor frisbee. Wait until late 2007 and get it from some bargain bin.

neriana
2006-11-11, 11:54 AM

It sounds to me like you just don't like computer games. They are certainly limited. You can certainly do more in PnP. But just because I like Mozart, that doesn't mean I don't like Cyndi Lauper. They're different genres. So far, as a computer game, I like NWN2 a lot, much more than the NWN OC. I haven't run into any bugs yet, since I can't play it very much.

Neo
2006-11-11, 12:02 PM
Yeah, its a problem with the 'hardcore' PnP types. To code a game that would let you do anything you wanted would be almost impossible.

Rainspattered
2006-11-11, 07:36 PM
I like computer games just fine; I love the entire Elder Scrolls series, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, etc. The particular problem I have with this game is that is a computer game which tries to be a PnP game; it is a ruleset more than a game. It sacrifices storyline, graphics, AI, interface, a good deal of gameplay, and just about every other feature that adds up to a decent computer game for a wider, more freeform PnP rule system. Unfortunately, as the above posted, a computer game cannot really run the anything-is-possible PnP idea. So it also ended up leaving out most of what was good about a PnP game by cutting out the majority of the freedom. So it tried to be a computer game that was a PnP game, essentially, and failed miserably at both.

neriana
2006-11-12, 01:11 AM
Well, NWN2's AI rather sucks, but its story and all that other stuff are good so far. Oblivion's AI sucks too, and at least in NWN2 your allies don't actually shoot you in the back. The AI in the BG and IWD games wasn't exactly stellar: enemies were usually easy to get around, and there's no way I'd let allies decide what to do on their own. NWN2's graphics are quite beautiful, its interface is as good as most games and better than BG's (though it needs tweaking), and generally it lives up to a BG/BG2 legacy quite nicely so far. Including in bugs: does anyone else here remember how many crippling bugs the BG series had at first?

The NWN OC wasn't great, but I liked the expansions very much. I don't think it was trying to be a PnP game; it was trying to be a toolset to create computer games with. This time they seem to have realized that they need an actually good computer game to back that up. Though a lot of people really liked NWN's original campaign -- I couldn't stand Aribeth, and the dungeons were too repetitive for me. Personal taste.

Daedrous Avari
2006-11-12, 06:45 PM
Oh my god... PLEASE GIVE THIS SERIES BACK TO BIOWARE! Me and my friend borrowed it from someone else... So dissapointing... I found myself spending four days uninstalling crap just to put this game on for a few days... And what do I get? A buggy, system-hogging computer game that requires a super computer that hasn't been released except to the government.

In short, NWN2 in my opinion, and in X-Play style:

A 3 out of 5.

DocZoid
2006-11-12, 07:04 PM
Thomas, your problems would definitely put you in a small minority. I assume you have posted about it on the forums?

The patches do seem to have a few issues, I believe it is particularly with 64 bit systems. They have all worked perfectly fine for me, the only trouble I have had was with the 3rd party copy protection.

Daedrous, what settings did you have it on? I assume you meet the minimum system requirements?

Daedrous Avari
2006-11-12, 07:05 PM
I did, but still, it took forever to load and ran almost slow on my high-tech alien computer.

Bloodred
2006-11-13, 01:28 AM
I did, but still, it took forever to load and ran almost slow on my high-tech alien computer.

Then you obviously dont have an Alien Computer. ;)

NWN is pretty good, endless glitches in chapter 3. :(

Desidus
2006-11-13, 03:12 PM
Then you obviously dont have an Alien Computer. ;)

Or Daedrous Avari does, and it's old. A friend of mine has an old alienware, and he's cussing up a storm now because he spent so much money on it, and now it's... well, it's in the happy place where computers go after a year, obsolete-ville

Daedrous Avari, maybe if you could give us some specs we can see if it's possibly a hardware compatability issue. Off hand, I'd say that more RAM may help, just from knowing it takes a while to load, but I'm just taking wild guesses.

As far as NWN2 is concerned, as soon as I build a new comp (read: as soon as I go to some customer's homes and fix their computers, and as such get paid by them), I'll be getting it. I should have preordered, but that would have taken thought, and I obviously wasn't capable of thinking for the past... er... few months. :(

Muz
2006-11-13, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know if (semi-spoiler) I'm going to run into problems because I skipped Fort Locke? I just walked right by it and kept going on to my assigned destination. (One of the pitfalls of playing a LN character with a mission. "Oh, trouble there? Do I need to go through there to get to where I'm going? No? Well, sucks to be them, then." *walks on past*) Now that I'm in Neverwinter, I hear all these references to stuff that happened in Fort Locke, and I'm wondering if I might have shot myself in the foot. :smallfrown:

:thog: "Thog want auto-pause feature. With sprinkles."

Sir_Dude
2006-11-14, 12:22 AM
Yeah... I bought the game, but unfortunately I underestimated the requirements. I get the message that I don't have a compatible graphic's card, and that pretty much sums it up. Beyond that I'd be capable of running it at minimum, but my ATI 9200 just isn't up to it. So now I own the game but don't own a good enough computer to run it.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-14, 03:00 AM
:thog: "Thog want auto-pause feature. With sprinkles."

i agree with Thog.

thera are Spoilers Below...
No Really don't look here if you don't want toHow do you open the door in the collectors house? stupid riddle...
*clubs door open with Crom Fayer*

Tom_Violence
2006-11-14, 06:33 AM
Yeah... I bought the game, but unfortunately I underestimated the requirements. I get the message that I don't have a compatible graphic's card, and that pretty much sums it up. Beyond that I'd be capable of running it at minimum, but my ATI 9200 just isn't up to it. So now I own the game but don't own a good enough computer to run it.

Welcome to the newest contender for The Worst Boat Of The Year Award.

Charity
2006-11-14, 11:02 AM
My damn 5700 don't cut it.
£85 for 7600 it is, damn this game isn't cheap.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-14, 11:13 AM

Worth it though.

this is my personal view

i'm glad my laptop can handle it...

*Games @ work over the weekend/nights*

Tom_Violence
2006-11-14, 10:13 PM

You're telling me! At least you have the option of just buying one new component! I'm gonna have to get a whole bloody new system!

!

(Yes, I will complain until I'm hoarse.)

neriana
2006-11-15, 12:54 AM
I got a new computer for NWN2 and Oblivion. I had a local guy build it for me, and for about $2000, I got a system that beats a $7000 Dell. Of course, Dells suck, but still :D

So if you ARE going to get a new computer, go with someone local. This guy's been great for us, and has fixed every little issue we've had, setting up the speakers, the printer, the DSL, attaching old hard drives to new computers, etc. My computer is also better and cheaper than my boyfriend's, which he got from ibuypower. Someone you actually speak to in person is definitely the way to go.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-15, 01:10 AM
A couple questions about the game:

1) If you're playing a non-caster, can you have a NPC mage take the appropriate crafting feats, or is the whole crafting portion of the game only for spellcasting PCs?

and

2) Do they place any limits on crafting your weapons and armor? Or could you stick every possible enhancement onto one weapon?

Bloodred
2006-11-15, 03:27 AM
1) If you're playing a non-caster, can you have a NPC mage take the appropriate crafting feats, or is the whole crafting portion of the game only for spell casting PCs?

2) Do they place any limits on crafting your weapons and armor? Or could you stick every possible enhancement onto one weapon?

1) Yes: NPC casters can take the crafting feats/skills and use them as easily as the main character can. Both the Mage and the Sorcerer are specialists Wizards however... But its easy to work with.
Also, you can use a Scroll to cast the spell for the enhancement but only if the required caster level is 10 or lower.

2) No: You can only have three enhancements weapon/armor metal may come into play here. The bonus +2 Damage that comes from having an Adamantine weapon counts as one of you’re three(It DOES stack with the Enhancement bonuses), likewise the DR does too. The weight reduction on Mithral counts as one enhancement also even if its a weapon.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-15, 06:27 AM
Too bad, it prevents you from making that ultimate ice/fire/lightning/sonic/acid sword. :smallbiggrin:

Good to know that I can still benefit from the crafting system as a non-mage, as I think my first run through will be with a fighter. :)

Tengu
2006-11-15, 06:55 AM
How do Isaac's Lesser and Greater Missile Storm work in this game? Are they toned down somehow, or still completely overpowered (Lesser to a, well, lesser extent)?

Charity
2006-11-15, 06:57 AM
Worth it though.

this is my personal view

i'm glad my laptop can handle it...

*Games @ work over the weekend/nights*

I'll tell you when I play it *mutter*

And Tom Oooooo nasty.

Varnithis
2006-11-15, 09:51 AM
How do Isaac's Lesser and Greater Missile Storm work in this game? Are they toned down somehow, or still completely overpowered (Lesser to a, well, lesser extent)?

Powerful, but no cheaper than harm spamming, or other such things. I'm playing as a Cleric of Mystra with Air and Magic domains mostly for charcter concept... but Clericzilla is a very real thing in this game. I'm pretty much unstoppable in combat at this point and I expected lots of diplomacy so I can talk my way through alot of crap too.

Harm is obscene. If they fail their save, I'm doing an automatic 150 damage a round, and yes, it will kill them outright. Even if they make the save it is 75 damage, and I usually just have to smack them with something to kill them after that.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-15, 10:14 PM
Huh, they didn't take the Missile Storms out?

I'll see your clericzilla and raise you a Timestop and two castings of Empowered Isaac's Greater Missile Storm.

Sholos
2006-11-16, 01:25 AM
Empowered or maximized? Which is worse? For the target, I mean.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-16, 03:54 AM
Maximized. Empowered increases the damage variables by 50%, maximized means each missile hits for maximum damage. However, Maximized means they take a 9th level slot, while Empowered uses 8th level slots.

Margerine A Low Fat Cannibal
2006-11-16, 06:49 AM
The only reason this game exists is because NWN had a fanbase for one single reason, online Persistant World RP servers, which were the closest thing to online DnD you could get without trying out DnD:IRC.
This game exists because of those servers, it owes its existance to them, it also means the game has no point until the editors create their modded worlds and set up new RP servers.

Varnithis
2006-11-16, 07:28 AM
Huh, they didn't take the Missile Storms out?

I'll see your clericzilla and raise you a Timestop and two castings of Empowered Isaac's Greater Missile Storm.

Nasty combo, but that's why if I'm playing against a player character, I make aboslutly sure I have Damage Resistance: Magic 15. That stops Missile Storm cold because they classify Magic Missiles and Missle Storm as magic damage, not force damage.

They also capped IGMS at 10 2d6 missiles, which is crazy maximized, but there are better and cheaper spells out there now. Harm is one of them although it is a touch attack, but if you are a wizard, I would drop Implosion on you since it is considered Evocation and death ward, etc, doesn't block it. Hope you have a huge fortitude bonus.

Tengu
2006-11-16, 08:21 AM
2d6 or 3d6? NWVault says it's 3d6. If it's 2d6, then the spell is still very strong and possible too good for it's level, but not completely overpowered. Good.

Anyone knows anything about pickpocketing mechanics? Still ridiculously low DCs and the ability to steal everything from another player?

Varnithis
2006-11-16, 09:39 AM
It is 2d6. The spell is still "IWIN" against anyone without protection from magic damage if you maximize it, but since you get 1 spell per round unless it is quickened, while you are busy throwing IGMS at someone, they finger of death you. Or Implosion or harm or etc...

There is no reason to be a non-caster other than charatcer concept. Defensive Casting Mode makes Clerics, Druids, Wizards, and Sorcerors tiny gods past level 5. You might get ganked by a rogue, but other than that, you can kill just about anyone before they get anywhere near you.

I will say this, though. The new knockdown mechanics make it extrmely effective crowd control. A melee powerhouse can easily become a battlefield controller in NWN2. You can almost garuntee that a caster is on his bottom permantly if you get into melee range, but you need a friend to kill him cause it doesn't let you attack him in the round he is down. Also, hold person lets you Coup De Grace now. It is an auto-win vs low will saves.

Sleight of Hand (the new pick-pocket) works more along the lines of how it does in real DnD now, but I would imagine that if you have a high enough bonus to it, you can strip most people of everything they own and they would never know. However, if a person has a high spot check, you will never get anything.

Also, thought I might as well warn everyone. Druids get Nature Spell, so bring on the cheese. And while Shapechange is limited to Iron Golem, Nightwalker, Horned Devil, Fire Giant, and Frost Giant... well an Iron Golem spewing out maximized IGMS and dropping Meteor Storms is a scary thing.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-16, 11:36 PM
They capped it? Well at least it's technically better balanced...

the technically being that I'll still drop most dragons and demi-liches with two castings. Maybe three.

Otherwise, DI: Magic is a new and nasty variable... good to know that it exists, since it does make life a bit more difficult for mages since magic damage won't be able to bypass every possible protection.

Otherwise, Implosion is what a high SR is for... or Spell Mantle and its like. *grins*

Varnithis
2006-11-17, 07:21 AM
Otherwise, Implosion is what a high SR is for... or Spell Mantle and its like. *grins*

If we are talking about Old-School NWN1 cheese fighting... I trump everything and cast Flesh to Stone. The spell is bugged and always works, even if you have immunity to it. Lets not forget Bigbys Forceful Hand of Automatic Win, too. Have fun knowcked down and stunned for 20 rounds. And if I'm using Clericzilla and have time to buff, I stack Divine Power (also badly bugged) and get 50 attacks per round.

Seriosuly, the amount of cheese in NWN1 was obscene. They did a decient job of correcting alot of the issues in 2 so far though, so I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Oh yah, was playing around yesterday with shapechnage and relised the coding for it is crap. Wizards and Sorcerors who use it cannot cast spells while shapechanged... but a Druid with Nature Spell can cast spells in ANY form. Oh well.

indianajoe
2006-11-17, 09:01 AM
Just a quick question for those of us who are enjoying this game. Even though I still cant get the hang of spell casters.:smallannoyed:

Are there any more Ironfist relics in the caves where you found the gloves?

Charity
2006-11-17, 09:27 AM
The 7600 has arrived YeeeHa

Tom_Violence
2006-11-17, 11:39 PM

That's mine, etc.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-19, 06:21 AM

now i command you to go to Game & purchace it...

oh and use my reward card.

Dausuul
2006-11-20, 12:12 AM
Well, I bought it, and I installed it, along with the patch--a process which took well over an hour.

My impressions are, overall, not very good. The performance is way slow for the quality of the graphics. The interface is clunky and poorly documented, and the henchman AI is infuriating. It's especially infuriating because when your henchman die, you can't abandon them--you are instantly stuck in whatever area you're in, and remain stuck until you save them. Even if there's a horde of enemies on your tail and you're Chaotic Evil.

All this I could put up with... but the storyline is killing me.

I get to Neverwinter and head for the Sunken Flagon. There I visit Duncan of the Unpronounceable Last Name, also known as the Man with the Plot Hook. He tells me I have to talk to Aldanon the Sage about these mysterious shards.

Me: "Sounds good to me. Where's Aldanon?"
Duncan: "The Blacklake District. It's all locked up."
Me: "How do I get in?"
Duncan: "You can join the City Watch, or you can make a deal with this thief Caleb."

Being a Chaotic Neutral sorceror with an allergy to authority, I decide I'd rather cut a deal with the thieves. So off I go to Caleb.

Me: "I want to get into Blacklake."
Caleb: "Okay, go make this merchant cough up his protection money."

I use my 20 Charisma to sweet-talk the merchant into paying up. There's some trouble with the City Watch, which I skillfully defuse.

Me: "Here's the money. Can you get me into Blacklake now?"
Caleb: "No, you have to talk to my boss Moire about that."

I go talk to Moire.

Moire: "Okay, go make sure the City Watch around here knows who's boss."

I go around to all the watchmen and make sure they won't give the thieves any trouble.

Me: "I did it. They're on our side now. Can I get into Blacklake?"
Moire: "I said show them who's boss, not get them on our side! Here's a torch. Burn down the City Watch building."
Me: "You're a f***ing maniac."
Moire: "Do it."
Me: "The entire Watch will be out to get us."
Moire: "I'm not talking to you any more until you burn down the City Watch building."
Me: "But..."
Moire: "La la la la, I can't hear you."

I go to the City Watch.

Me: "Moire's pissing me off. I want to rat her out to the City Watch in exchange for access to Blacklake."
City Watch: "We're not going to give you that dialogue option. You made a deal with Caleb, you can't change storylines now."
Me: "Fine. Be that way."

I search the entirety of Neverwinter for some other way into Blacklake, and find nothing. Finally giving in to the plot railroad, I burn down the Watch building and go back to Moire.

Me: "I burned down the Watch building. Now can I get into Blacklake?"
Moire: "No."
Me: "Let me put it another way. You can either get me into Blacklake, or eat half a dozen fireballs while my henchmen pound on you."
Moire: "I'm a neutral NPC. The God of Pre-Scripted Plots protects me. Nyah nyah."
Me: "Damn you!"
Moire: "My boss Axle wants to talk to you. If you're nice to him, he might get you into Blacklake."
Me: "Grrrrr. Fine."

I go talk to Moire's boss.

Axle: "You moron! You burned down the City Watch building! Now the entire Watch will be out to get us!"
Me: "That's what I said. Can you get me into Blacklake?"
Axle: "Maybe. Listen to this long spiel about Luskan and Nasher."
Me: *snore*
Axle: "Hey, wake up! Go protect this weapons shipment, and don't kill any more Watchmen."
Me: "Okaaaay."

I go protect the shipment on its way to the warehouse. I do reasonably well at not killing Watchmen. Then an informant in Moire's gang tips off the Watch and a small army of Watchmen descends on the warehouse.

Me: "Axle didn't want me to kill any of you. Can we talk about this?"
City Watch: "Hack! Slaughter! Maim!"
Me: "Well, if you insist."

I annihilate the small army of Watchmen and go back to Axle.

Axle: "I told you not to kill any Watchmen."
Me: "Moire's informant sold us out. Can't we get rid of her?"
Axle: "No, we need her to root out the informant."
Me: "Whatever. Look, just get me into Blacklake."
Axle: "No, you have to go rescue this emissary."
Me: "No, I have to get into Blacklake. I'm sick of running in circles for you bozos."
Axle: "Nothing doing. Go rescue the emissary."
Me: "I think you've failed to grasp something about irrelevant side quests. The idea is that they're supposed to be optional."
Axle: "This one isn't. Fetch the emissary."
Me: "Blacklake!"
Axle: "Emissary!"
Me: "BLACKLAKE!"
Axle: "EMISSARY!"
Me: "Can you at least promise that if I rescue the emissary, you'll get me into Blacklake then?"
Axle: "No, I've completely forgotten about Blacklake by now. So have you. You don't get to ask me about it any more."
Me: "But... but... I don't care about your f***ing emissary. I don't care about your little war with the Watch. I don't care about you or Moire or Luskan or Nasher. Hell, I don't care about Neverwinter! I JUST WANT TO GET INTO F***ING BLACKLAKE!"
Axle: "That's nice. Off you go now, there's a contact waiting to insult you up where the emissary was last seen, and a stereotypical annoying bard waiting to join your party, and you sure don't want to miss them."
Me: *sob*

Charity
2006-11-20, 04:57 AM
now i command you to go to Game & purchace it...

oh and use my reward card.
Oops I redeamed all your points.

I got it off Amazon for cheep, *strokes Amazon*

I just started, are the extra races not available at the start? Or am I being a div?

RyanJ
2006-11-20, 10:13 AM
Well, I bought it, and I installed it, along with the patch--a process which took well over an hour.

My impressions are, overall, not very good. The performance is way slow for the quality of the graphics. The interface is clunky and poorly documented, and the henchman AI is infuriating. It's especially infuriating because when your henchman die, you can't abandon them--you are instantly stuck in whatever area you're in, and remain stuck until you save them. Even if there's a horde of enemies on your tail and you're Chaotic Evil.

All this I could put up with... but the storyline is killing me.

I get to Neverwinter and head for the Sunken Flagon. There I visit Duncan of the Unpronounceable Last Name, also known as the Man with the Plot Hook. He tells me I have to talk to Aldanon the Sage about these mysterious shards.

Me: "Sounds good to me. Where's Aldanon?"
Duncan: "The Blacklake District. It's all locked up."
Me: "How do I get in?"
Duncan: "You can join the City Watch, or you can make a deal with this thief Caleb."

Being a Chaotic Neutral sorceror with an allergy to authority, I decide I'd rather cut a deal with the thieves. So off I go to Caleb.

Caleb: "Okay, go make this merchant cough up his protection money."

I use my 20 Charisma to sweet-talk the merchant into paying up. There's some trouble with the City Watch, which I skillfully defuse.

Me: "Here's the money. Can you get me into Blacklake now?"
Caleb: "No, you have to talk to my boss Moire about that."

I go talk to Moire.

Moire: "Okay, go make sure the City Watch around here knows who's boss."

I go around to all the watchmen and make sure they won't give the thieves any trouble.

Me: "I did it. They're on our side now. Can I get into Blacklake?"
Moire: "I said show them who's boss, not get them on our side! Here's a torch. Burn down the City Watch building."
Me: "You're a f***ing maniac."
Moire: "Do it."
Me: "The entire Watch will be out to get us."
Moire: "I'm not talking to you any more until you burn down the City Watch building."
Me: "But..."
Moire: "La la la la, I can't hear you."

I go to the City Watch.

Me: "Moire's pissing me off. I want to rat her out to the City Watch in exchange for access to Blacklake."
City Watch: "We're not going to give you that dialogue option. You made a deal with Caleb, you can't change storylines now."
Me: "Fine. Be that way."

I search the entirety of Neverwinter for some other way into Blacklake, and find nothing. Finally giving in to the plot railroad, I burn down the Watch building and go back to Moire.

Me: "I burned down the Watch building. Now can I get into Blacklake?"
Moire: "No."
Me: "Let me put it another way. You can either get me into Blacklake, or eat half a dozen fireballs while my henchmen pound on you."
Moire: "I'm a neutral NPC. The God of Pre-Scripted Plots protects me. Nyah nyah."
Me: "Damn you!"
Moire: "My boss Axle wants to talk to you. If you're nice to him, he might get you into Blacklake."
Me: "Grrrrr. Fine."

I go talk to Moire's boss.

Axle: "You moron! You burned down the City Watch building! Now the entire Watch will be out to get us!"
Me: "That's what I said. Can you get me into Blacklake?"
Axle: "Maybe. Listen to this long spiel about Luskan and Nasher."
Me: *snore*
Axle: "Hey, wake up! Go protect this weapons shipment, and don't kill any more Watchmen."
Me: "Okaaaay."

I go protect the shipment on its way to the warehouse. I do reasonably well at not killing Watchmen. Then an informant in Moire's gang tips off the Watch and a small army of Watchmen descends on the warehouse.

Me: "Axle didn't want me to kill any of you. Can we talk about this?"
City Watch: "Hack! Slaughter! Maim!"
Me: "Well, if you insist."

I annihilate the small army of Watchmen and go back to Axle.

Axle: "I told you not to kill any Watchmen."
Me: "Moire's informant sold us out. Can't we get rid of her?"
Axle: "No, we need her to root out the informant."
Me: "Whatever. Look, just get me into Blacklake."
Axle: "No, you have to go rescue this emissary."
Me: "No, I have to get into Blacklake. I'm sick of running in circles for you bozos."
Axle: "Nothing doing. Go rescue the emissary."
Me: "I think you've failed to grasp something about irrelevant side quests. The idea is that they're supposed to be optional."
Axle: "This one isn't. Fetch the emissary."
Me: "Blacklake!"
Axle: "Emissary!"
Me: "BLACKLAKE!"
Axle: "EMISSARY!"
Me: "Can you at least promise that if I rescue the emissary, you'll get me into Blacklake then?"
Axle: "No, I've completely forgotten about Blacklake by now. So have you. You don't get to ask me about it any more."
Me: "But... but... I don't care about your f***ing emissary. I don't care about your little war with the Watch. I don't care about you or Moire or Luskan or Nasher. Hell, I don't care about Neverwinter! I JUST WANT TO GET INTO F***ING BLACKLAKE!"
Axle: "That's nice. Off you go now, there's a contact waiting to insult you up where the emissary was last seen, and a stereotypical annoying bard waiting to join your party, and you sure don't want to miss them."
Me: *sob*

Don't feel bad. Being a Lawful Good Monk, I went the "join the Watch" route and had the same (but opposite alignment) type of jobs as you. And now, I'm getting sent out of town to hook up with the same stupid emissary.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-20, 05:09 PM
The recounting's amusing, I got a couple good chuckles out of it. :)

But yah, that is annoying if you actually don't give two figs about either side. Me... as long as the main plotline doesn't care, I'll happily go out and do every sidequest available before coming back and annilhating the enemies now that I'm several levels higher then I should have been for that section. *shrugs*

Archonic Energy
2006-11-21, 09:43 AM
Oops I redeamed all your points.

Hey i was saving them for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Knights of the Nine...

i can't wait to get home & continue...

Charity
2006-11-21, 10:03 AM
I rather upset my lovely wife by playing till 4 the other night.
So I shall have to chill out a wee bit, good thing I'm out tonight
*withdrawl twitch*

Archonic Energy
2006-11-21, 10:17 AM
ask her if she want's to play multiplayer.

on second thoughts don't. she may think you are joking.

DeathQuaker
2006-11-21, 01:37 PM
Overall.... well, I'm addicted. But that's not surprising.

Decent story, but yes, the initial "choice" between watch and thieves was poorly implemented.

Have had okay luck with how the system runs, but egads it's a resource hog for a game that doesn't look much better than KotOR, a game that came out, what, two or three years ago?

And yes, AI is awful. Had to shut it off. Once you get used to the controls though, gameplay is good. GUIs pretty nice; I am one of the few that likes the dropdown menus better than the radials.

Biggest gameplay complaint for me: "Influence" is a great idea that was implemented poorly. As I understand it, it's supposed to measure YOUR influence on your party members. But it seems to be more THEIR influence with you. You let your party get away with stupid crap and agree with them 100% of the time, they like you. You dare to assert your opinions--however respectfully and politely, you lose influence with them if you're a hair off from what they want to do. The idea of "influence" is to earn respect, not let someone walk all over you.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-22, 06:14 AM
hello again DQ. wasn't your last Avi Annah?

anyway i do feel i have to watch what i say les i annoy the dwarf...

speaking of which when does he become a monk?

i have no more dialoge opitions but he hasn't figured out why he fights yet... any longewr and it'll be a waste of time (level 12 it a bit late to multiclass)

Charity
2006-11-22, 06:31 AM
ask her if she want's to play multiplayer.

on second thoughts don't. she may think you are joking.

She is not really into computer games :smallfrown: and I only have the one pc at home that will run it.
Oh and I plan to rob and ditch all npc's asap as I do in all these games... the tiefling thief can stay I spose.... for now.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-22, 06:35 AM
i need a meatshield tho... bloody weakling mage

Ambrogino
2006-11-22, 07:25 AM
Re: the dwarf, I'm led to believe he respecs entirely rather than multiclassing.

Mick_the_Rogue
2006-11-22, 08:08 AM
Trust me, once you get into blacklacke, you'll be glad you got all that experiance....I hate demons, damn DR

DeathQuaker
2006-11-22, 10:58 AM
hello again DQ. wasn't your last Avi Annah?

Wow, someone remembers me. I'm amazed. :smallsmile:

Yeah, I have an Annah avatar that I used for awhile, though I've also used this Sunite before (she's an original char I play in an FR tabletop game). Also had an Imoen avvie. I'd like to clean up the Annah pic if I use it again, but I did like that one.

speaking of which when does he become a monk?

I haven't finished his monk quests either, and as I understand it, they potentially take a long time. Most folks I've read don't finish until act III, and I'm level 12 in act II. I'm beginning to wonder if you ever do get to multiclass him, or, as you say, whether it's worth it. Though doing the sidequests are fun.

coron
2006-11-22, 12:14 PM
When does it come out for Mac?

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-22, 03:59 PM
Regarding the dwarf and multi-classing:

When you complete the quest chain and he becomes a monk, he returns to level 1 and allows you to level him, with full control over feat and skill selection from level 1 to your current level.

Archonic Energy
2006-11-23, 10:54 AM
Wow, someone remembers me. I'm amazed. :smallsmile:

Yeah, I have an Annah avatar that I used for awhile, though I've also used this Sunite before (she's an original char I play in an FR tabletop game). Also had an Imoen avvie. I'd like to clean up the Annah pic if I use it again, but I did like that one.

i remember my dicussions with you regarding Annah's top and Why they have vents in it... (Certainly not for a obligitory skimpy clothed NPC... no siree.)

oh and thanks for the tip Gyrfalcon i'll not worry about it for a while...

now Meatshield to the front!

Ambrogino
2006-11-23, 11:17 AM
Trust me, once you get into blacklacke, you'll be glad you got all that experiance....I hate demons, damn DR

My entire gith cave experience was pathetic - I had the bard, ranger and rogue and none of us could hurt them. We just kept throwing every bottle of acid and alchemists fire we had at them until we somehow made it through! :smallbiggrin:

ray53208
2006-11-23, 03:23 PM
got it for my birthday. installed it. patched it for over an hour. runs like crap. i have a decent computer. it exceeds the minimum requirements and meets most of the recommended specs. my drivers are up to date and im running this game at the lowest graphical settings. still lagging bigtime and choppy as all get out.

ive been to the nwn2 message boards and followed all the advice there. still lagging a LOT.

im very dissappointed. i really hope it gets patched before i decide to uninstall and trash it. until then ill just enjoy warhammer 40k dark crusade.

CaptainSam
2006-11-23, 08:40 PM
I'm loving this game. So much so, it's taken the place of my regular DAoC time.

However, (you knew there was a however on the way) I've hit a pretty much game-stopping bug.

I've just hit Chapter 2 with my 12th level fighter, noticed the dwarven scouts on my map and headed off to do that bit.

The party consists of:

Me, fighter
Whatshername, the farmer
Qara, mobile fire platform
Neeshka, the loveable rogue

Now, I come to the part where I have to use the bit to make the lock work. After a bit of pointless dialogue, I realise that I need Khelgar the dwarf to continue. I head back to the pub to pick him up, and..

NO FREAKING KHELGAR!!

He's completely disappeared, vanished, buggered off! He's not in the common room, neither is he on the party-selection list. This bit of the plot, which I was rather enjoying, is now impossible to do!

I looked on the Bioware forums and the general consensus seems to be, "Nothing you can do, go back to an earlier save." Not much use to me, I only use one save at a time. Apparently this happens when you zone with an animal familiar or an animal companion in the party. Though not all the time.

So now I've had to restart the entire game. Anyone else have this problem?

Mick_the_Rogue
2006-11-23, 10:39 PM
Here's one, how many places have you guys found ore? I found it in the orc cave at Old owl well, the dwarf cave...and well that's it so far

Crazy Owl
2006-11-24, 02:16 PM
So does the Debug Mode actually, you know, whats the word I'm looking for?
Work
I tried to take some stats out and buff up another because I got them mixed up but it doesn't seem to work. I tried God Mode at some point and found it didn't work. I tried to give money and experience but it doesn't work. Oh and I have done DebugMode 1. Just saying this now because last time I asked a question similar to this on a different board about the previous game I got about 10 replies telling me I should try doing it with DebugMode on, idiots.

Demosthenes
2006-11-24, 08:47 PM
I don't think you guys understand. NWN multiplayer is the shining feature of the series. Persistant Worlds were the best, I think. Being able to roleplay or quest and such with 30+ people (depending on the time) was excellent. If obsidian manages to pull together the multiplayer it will be on par with those MMORPG games. I'm definately buying it as soon as my new COmp shows up.

Crazy Owl
2006-11-25, 04:46 AM
Thats another thing, my game freezes every time I try to log into my account online or make a new account. I'm fully updated for patches.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-25, 05:26 AM
Are you running something like Zonealarm in the background, and NWN2 isn't properly releasing screen focus so you can get the popup asking you if you want to let it out to play on the internet?

Crazy Owl
2006-11-25, 12:46 PM
Figured it out, another game I had was stopping me from playing online on any of my other games. After I uninstalled it I can go online again now.

The Evil Thing
2006-11-26, 12:57 PM
I haven't finished his monk quests either, and as I understand it, they potentially take a long time. Most folks I've read don't finish until act III, and I'm level 12 in act II. I'm beginning to wonder if you ever do get to multiclass him, or, as you say, whether it's worth it. Though doing the sidequests are fun.
To get Kelgar to become a Monk you must complete the three trials.
You need to:
Get Influence:
Get enough influence with him to persuade him to not be as prejudiced towards Neeshka and Elanee.
You can also use the influence to at least make him consider that there may be other ways to win fights without fighting.
Complete the side quest:
Head to the Dwarven Scouts area and use common sense to milk influence from all the dialogue options. Giving the Ironfist Gauntlets to him wins you a very nice chunk.
Complete part of the main quest:
If you have good influence with Kelgar during the trial you can demonstrate it is possible to win a war with words (you have to have won the trial, natch) and if he likes you he will demand to fight when Torio claims trial by combat. Let him do it if you want more influence (and don't think Qara is up to a 1v1). The priest will note he feels it's unjust and so have completed the final test.

Once you've done that just go back to the temple and they'll turn him into monk. He'll be a bog standard level 1 monk with the XP he previously had, so it's just a case of levelling him back up again.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's worth it. He can still use that hammer when he gets the Gloves and Belt, as a monk but it might have been better to keep him as a fighter and given him focus feats in that weapon. Your call; I turned him into a monk because my character is also Awful Good.

BTW: I had this sidequest done and dusted about halfway through Act 2.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-26, 08:08 PM
Hmmm the game looks pretty sweet, but I really dont know much about it. (Ive never played a nwn's game before). Is it an MMORPG? Or is it a single player game? And is it based largly on dnd? Like does it have the main classes and stuff, and are they very much similar (meaning, would a fighter be someone who got a bonus feat every two lvl's)? Is it similar to Oblivion? (cause I love that game)

DeathQuaker
2006-11-26, 09:18 PM
Hmmm the game looks pretty sweet, but I really dont know much about it. (Ive never played a nwn's game before). Is it an MMORPG? Or is it a single player game?

Neverwinter Nights is whatever you want it to be. ;) Well, not quite, but almost.

NWN and NWN2 are, at core, a toolset for building and software for playing D&D based adventures. The games come with a story/campaign that can be played either single or multiplayer (all the talk about Khelgar and other characters has to do with said campaign in NWN2). In both games, the campaigns take place in the Forgotten Realms city of Neverwinter, hence the name. :)

People also use the toolset to create their modules which other people can download and play--again, either single or multiplayer--AND there are servers which run persistent worlds which, as I understand it, people basically play as their own MMORPG of sorts (can't say for sure, since I only play single player).

And is it based largly on dnd? Like does it have the main classes and stuff, and are they very much similar (meaning, would a fighter be someone who got a bonus feat every two lvl's)?

Yes, it is about as close as you can get to tabletop rules while still also being balanced and tweaked for video game performance.

NWN2 has all of the core classes, plus Warlock, plus many Prestige Classes from both the core rules and the Forgotten Realms books. NWN2 has all core classes and Forgotten Realms subraces of said classes (so in addition to core "Moon Elves" you can also play Sun Elves, Wood Elves, and Drow, etc. You can also play Planetouched, i.e., Aasimars and Tieflings). You level up just as you would in a D&D TT game.

Is it similar to Oblivion? (cause I love that game)

I've not played Oblivion. From what I understand however, the gameplay is quite different. Both are immersive RPGs in their own rights.

I'd recommend NWN2, but I would SERIOUSLY wait until they've patched it a couple more times. It should have been released a little later than it was, but the publisher was getting impatient.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-26, 10:35 PM
Hmmmm, I think I understand. So you can basically run their campains or make your own and play others? And because you can play it online, does it charge a fee? Wait its not online right?

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-27, 01:35 AM
It does have an online component - you can play campaigns with other people online (though the hosting computer should be pretty powerful, since it also does the calculations for what the others do.), and there's also are or will be persistant worlds that you can join and adventure through. There is no fee associated with this - NWN2 is not a MMORPG. Persistant worlds are created and maintained by other players who have a love for creating worlds to play in.

Otherwise yes, you can play the official campaign or ones other people have created, and with the toolset you can make your own campaign.

The Evil Thing
2006-11-27, 08:10 AM
Is it similar to Oblivion? (cause I love that game)
In no way is it similar to Oblivion. Oblivion is a rather two-dimensional hack'n'slash compared to NWN2, which features a party system, tactics, comparatively brilliant AI, rich character interaction and a reasonable story to boot.

Oblivion is also a console game and thus functionality has to be limited so the XBox hordes don't feel cheated. The NWN2 controls can take a little getting used to (especially if you've played the original NWN) but you'll find they work very smoothly once you figure it all out (N.B. the manual is pretty useless for this).

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-27, 09:42 AM
Hmmmmm, so does it actually use grids for battle, like 5ft squares and stuff? Because that would be pretty sweet if its that close to dnd.

DeathQuaker
2006-11-27, 10:20 AM
In no way is it similar to Oblivion. Oblivion is a rather two-dimensional hack'n'slash compared to NWN2, which features a party system, tactics, comparatively brilliant AI, rich character interaction and a reasonable story to boot.

If the AI in NWN2 is "comparatively brilliant," then the AI in Oblivion must be bloody awful. I honestly can't speak for myself, but everything I've heard about Oblivion states to the contrary.

I love NWN2. I'm glad I bought it. But the AI is dreadful (especially companion AI, which I had to turn off), and I'm waiting desperately till they patch it or improve it in an EP.

Hmmmmm, so does it actually use grids for battle, like 5ft squares and stuff? Because that would be pretty sweet if its that close to dnd.

No, it doesn't use grids. It's, as I said, cleaned up and tweaked for video game performance. Grids are a bit clunky (I love TT D&D, but the too-true-to-TT movement system in Temple of Elemental Evil made my head hurt, though that was partially just because I found the GUI difficult to work with). The game _does_ track distance and movement mostly according to D&D rules, however (so you can take and provoke AAOs; you get bonuses and penalties for range increments, etc.).