PDA

View Full Version : Need Warlock Level Cap Ability (PF)

Redrat2k6
2010-10-02, 09:15 PM
So I am playing a E6 like game only the max level is 8.

Most of the pathfinder classes have cool 8th or 9th level abilities, (If 9th they can get them at level 8) but the warlock does not.

As the DM I want to throw one of my players playing a warlock a bone, and give him a nice level 8 capstone ability that is similar in power to the rest of the classes.

I know the warlock is not a very high tier especially when compared to pathfinder classes, so I do not mind giving him something pretty special.

I am thinking something that gives the warlock more versatility, but that also has good fluff.

I ask the playground do some brainstorming. Thanks in Advanced!

Yorrin
2010-10-02, 09:29 PM
Give him a Greater invocation early. It's pretty powerful, but hardly game-breaking. Warlocks are particularly easy to DM, because of their limited bag of tricks. Giving one more higher level trick makes them more likely to rely on it, thus making them more predictable.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-02, 09:57 PM
How about a floating feat that can only be used on Extra Invocation? That gives him some versatility, and at that level, is an extra Least invocation. Best of all, he can change it around daily (or maybe even let him change it out in an hour of concentration).

Maybe after he hits level 12, let him have the option of letting it be an Item Creation feat. That's why Chameleon2 is always such a strong option for 'locks anyways.

The Shadowmind
2010-10-02, 09:59 PM
Give him the imbue item ability(normally 12th) as the cap stone, and a free item creation feat of choice.
or:
Allow him to swap all invocations known each day as the capstone.
Both or kinda strong, but neither option is broken.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-02, 10:05 PM
Demon Wings?
Like, summon-able for 1 hour per level or something like that.

Zore
2010-10-02, 10:19 PM
Demon Wings?
Like, summon-able for 1 hour per level or something like that.

Isn't that just a worse Fell Flight which he could already do anyway?

Lhurgyof
2010-10-02, 10:29 PM
Isn't that just a worse Fell Flight which he could already do anyway?

Dunno, never played a lock, just thought of something cool, and if he can fly, it makes him a lot less likely to be bothered by melee types.

lsfreak
2010-10-02, 10:38 PM
Dunno, never played a lock, just thought of something cool, and if he can fly, it makes him a lot less likely to be bothered by melee types.

Warlocks get a 24-hour duration flight as one of their invocations.

I'd say either the floating feat idea, or a Greater invocation. Or combine the two, if you feel like it - every day he gets to pick one invocation up to Greater.

Zore
2010-10-02, 10:46 PM
Maybe let him change his invocations with an eight hour ritual whenever he wants? Maybe also let him give up half the invocations he could prepare to get a single Greater invocation? Make him decide between power and versatility based on the situation.

PId6
2010-10-02, 10:57 PM
Giving a Greater Invocation is the best IMO. Yeah, it's strong, but warlocks are hardly known for their game-breaking tendencies, especially in E6 where it's nearly impossible to raise Eldritch Blast damage after a certain point (few items affect it, and the same is true of feats). The Greater Invocation gives him something special to do, and lets him pick up Least/Lesser Invocations via Extra Invocation which is quite nice.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-03, 10:40 PM
Warlocks get a 24-hour duration flight as one of their invocations.

I'd say either the floating feat idea, or a Greater invocation. Or combine the two, if you feel like it - every day he gets to pick one invocation up to Greater.

Well, that's what the floating feat effectively does. It gives him one invocation, of one step lower than the highest level invocation he can use. That means when he hits level 16, and has access to Dark invocations, he can have one invocation up to Greater that he can change out every day.

true_shinken
2010-10-03, 10:44 PM
Giving a Greater Invocation is the best IMO.

+1 to this.

WeeFreeMen
2010-10-03, 10:56 PM
Item creation, instead of using his own XP how about the souls or..dare I say it.. Soul Shards of others?

Soul Powered things are always awesome and it has neat fluff :D

Mongoose87
2010-10-03, 11:20 PM
Give him the ability to Bind Naberius, for when he takes the Hellfire Warlock Prestige feats. :smalltongue:

Seriously, though, I like the idea of a Greater Invocation.