PDA

View Full Version : Double Double Toil and Trouble...making monster brew I am...

Boren
2010-10-02, 09:35 PM
So as I DM I'll bet we have all made them; the custom built monster that your players, who have all the monster manuals memorized backwards, suddenly realize they have no clue how to fight this thing. Here is a place to share your moment of triumph. Give us all a basic rundown of its stats an abilities and a few of its mean tricks and please include a sampling of the reaction it got.

To kick things off I'll start with a little number I did recently that I was particularly pleased with

Tauric creature template
Mix one part mind flayer with one part siege crab stir till well blended then add in chimeric template. Adjust save DCs and breath weapon damage to scale with HD and garnish rams head with energy drain attack and serve.
The result? A brutal fight with a mind blasting, acid breathing, improved grab grappling, brain eating horror that one of the players was kind enough to dub:
The Cthulhu monster from Hell
I have rarely felt more satisfied with a players reaction :smallbiggrin:

P.S. Bonus points to whoever correctly identifies the title reference. (Hint: Not the original Shakespeare)

Dracons
2010-10-03, 05:30 AM
The witch from Zelda: Link to the past. Duh. (Though her's was mushroom, not monster).

I make my own monsters quite alot. From standard cannon fodder to gods. It's fun. It's rewarding, especally from my players that try to /cheat/ by knowing every monster in the book. Throws them for major hoops.

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 05:36 AM
Some game-related things, mainly, but not all saw use. In fact, the only monster 'brew I have ever posted online AND saw use in a game were the Terranized, a bit of a combo-cross between zombies, skeletons and elementals, trained soldiers even if they weren't in life, animated by the raw and angry force of nature itself, coming to fight back against its aggressors.