PDA

View Full Version : What happens if...

Morithias
2010-10-02, 10:58 PM
Well to put a long story short, I'm playing a half-devil, and my mate is playing a succubus, if we decide to have children, what would they be? Even in the infamous BOEF I can't find any real answer for what happens when a devil and demon mate.

Starfols
2010-10-02, 11:22 PM
Well to put a long story short, I'm playing a half-devil, and my mate is playing a succubus, if we decide to have children, what would they be? Even in the infamous BOEF I can't find any real answer for what happens when a devil and demon mate.

If you're playing a half-devil anyway, I'd say you'd have a tiefling for convenience's sake. :smallbiggrin:

Alternatively, it could just be a human with the Fiendish template. I don't think it distinguishes between devil and demon, as there wouldn't be that many significant differences.

Zaydos
2010-10-02, 11:36 PM
Are you using the Half-Devil template from the aforementioned BoEF or just using Half-Fiend from the MM. If the latter it doesn't differentiate and the child would be 3/4 fiend and probably have the half-fiend template itself. Or homebrew a unique creature. Actually if you are using the half-devil template the child would either have the half-fiend or have both the half-devil and half-demon templates (yes that is how WotC thinks genetics works).

Starfols
2010-10-02, 11:53 PM
(yes that is how WotC thinks genetics works).

Once it got too complicated they said 'screw it!' and made mongrelfolk. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2010-10-03, 12:06 AM
Once it got too complicated they said 'screw it!' and made mongrelfolk. :smalltongue:

Those were in 2e too, and the results of a mad wizard continuously mixing all the humanoid races. It was actually closer to real genetics than WotC's.

You can be a half-fiend, half-celestial, half-dragon, half-fire elemental half-elf. Your dad was a fiend and your mom was a half-fire elemental, half-red dragon, half-celestial half elf.

They had a efreet for a dad and a half-red dragon half-celestial half-elf for a mom.

They had a red dragon for a dad, and a half-celestial half-elf for a mom.

They had a Trumpet Archon for a dad (those guys get around) and a half-elf for a mom.

They had a human for a dad and an elf for a mom.

So despite being 1/32nd elf you have as much elven blood as someone who is 1/2 elf.

Then again 2e also said if you were 63/64 elf you were still a half-elf, but if you were 3/4 human you were a human.

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 04:47 AM

Check Bastards and Bloodlines?

Cogidubnus
2010-10-03, 10:06 AM
Tbf to WotC's weird genetics, I think part of the implication (certainly with those templates) is that you have enough of the blood to grant you part-racial abilities. So I'd give it the templates of mum and dad, but its kids with a human would be a half fiend, while its kid with a devil/demon would be a half-whatever it mated with.

So yeah, both templates for that kid. And some serious issues about which side of the Blood War it's on.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-03, 10:11 AM
Those were in 2e too, and the results of a mad wizard continuously mixing all the humanoid races. It was actually closer to real genetics than WotC's.

You can be a half-fiend, half-celestial, half-dragon, half-fire elemental half-elf. Your dad was a fiend and your mom was a half-fire elemental, half-red dragon, half-celestial half elf.

They had a efreet for a dad and a half-red dragon half-celestial half-elf for a mom.

They had a red dragon for a dad, and a half-celestial half-elf for a mom.

They had a Trumpet Archon for a dad (those guys get around) and a half-elf for a mom.

They had a human for a dad and an elf for a mom.

So despite being 1/32nd elf you have as much elven blood as someone who is 1/2 elf.

Then again 2e also said if you were 63/64 elf you were still a half-elf, but if you were 3/4 human you were a human.

Don't forget the Half-Red Dragon Half-Blue Dragon Half-Green Dragon Half-Black Dragon Half-White Dragon Half-Bronze Dragon Half-Copper Dragon Half-Silver Dragon Gold Dragon...admittedly, that's more of bad template writing than silly genetics.

Jastermereel
2010-10-03, 10:28 AM
Congratulations! You're about to have a litter of Owlbears!

grarrrg
2010-10-03, 11:00 AM

So yeah, "Half" doesn't mean "half". Wizards should look into buying a Dictionary and/or Thesaurus.
Although once you start getting to 1/64 or less in a particular race, I think it's safe to drop any relevent "Halves".

!
You think you're Boba Fett.
But you're not.

Zaydos
2010-10-03, 11:07 AM
So yeah, "Half" doesn't mean "half". Wizards should look into buying a Dictionary and/or Thesaurus.
Although once you start getting to 1/64 or less in a particular race, I think it's safe to drop any relevent "Halves".

In 2e it wasn't that bad. The child of a cambion or alu-fiend and a human was a tiefling; their children with fiends were never explored although due to the nature of fiends would probably not have been able to become pure fiends or even any more fiendish (as it would require replacing their physical form with Abyssal essence). More than half-human blood equaled human, more than half-elven blood equaled half-elves because elves were magical like that.

In 3e you have half-fiends, tieflings (less than half-fiends), no explanation for more than 1/2 fiends, and you have 1/4th fiends which are still half-fiends despite it being made clear that 1/4th fiend = tiefling... that's where things get wonky.