PDA

View Full Version : Trip + Cleave

Jack Zander
2010-10-02, 11:55 PM
When you cleave an opponent, can you use your cleave attack to trip?

Edit: Blegh, probably should have put this in the Q&A thread, but I keep forgetting it's there.

Coidzor
2010-10-03, 01:40 AM
I don't see any reason why you can't.

Jack Zander
2010-10-03, 09:49 AM
I don't see any reason why you can't.

Neither do I but I've always seen cleave to be just a regular old attack. The flavor of the ability is such that you cut through one person and into the next, but the mechanics don't really support that I guess.

Panigg
2010-10-03, 09:54 AM
Neither do I but I've always seen cleave to be just a regular old attack. The flavor of the ability is such that you cut through one person and into the next, but the mechanics don't really support that I guess.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. It's just a plain extra melee attack so yeah, go for it.

Coidzor
2010-10-03, 09:54 AM
Well, the mechanics are, you get an attack. You can use trip as part of a full attack routine or trip for the entirety of the full attack routine. It's an attack action or whatever the proper term is.

So, you get an extra attack after dropping an enemy into negative HPs, you can go on to trip someone, sunder something, disarm someone of something, or just whack at 'em in general.

Or any other appropriate action.

Fluff is, after all secondary to mechanics, since, hey, you can cleave with a blunt object.

Or your fists. Or your head. Or....

And most aren't going to fluff it as punching through someone and having the arm come out the other side and then punch someone else with the same someone still on one's arm.

Amphetryon
2010-10-03, 09:59 AM
And most aren't going to fluff it as punching through someone and having the arm come out the other side and then punch someone else with the same someone still on one's arm."I Chuck Norris him to the head so he collapses, and follow-through with my kick by knocking the knees out from the guy beside him so he's prone" works just fine for me. :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-03, 09:59 AM
A trip is a kind of attack. Yes.