PDA

View Full Version : Permanency via Use Magic Device

ffone
2010-10-03, 01:20 AM
Permanency can make some buff spells permanent upon oneself (permanent as far as duration goes; could still be dispelled I think). SRD has scrolls of permanency with XP already 'included' in the scroll.

For a character with Use Magic Device, but no spellcasting, is it possible/permissible to use scrolls of Permanency + spell to be applied to get, say, permanent Detect Magic on oneself? If the character's UMD mod is too low (scrolls are 20 + caster level, and Permanency has high min caster levels for the various effects) is there some other spell that grants a boost for arbitrary skill check (even if just one per casting)?

Kaww
2010-10-03, 02:29 AM
I have difficulty understanding what your question exactingly is, so I'll do it this way:

For a character with Use Magic Device, but no spellcasting, is it possible/permissible to use scrolls of Permanency + spell to be applied to get, say, permanent Detect Magic on oneself?

Yes, you can. You MUST cast the spell.

If the character's UMD mod is too low (scrolls are 20 + caster level, and Permanency has high min caster levels for the various effects) is there some other spell that grants a boost for arbitrary skill check (even if just one per casting)?

There is a bunch of them: Eagle's splendor, Improvisation (CA), Nixie's grace (Dragon magazine)... Personally I think that all you need is improvisation because it may give a HUGE bonus (depending on caster lvl). So check it out.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-10-03, 02:30 AM
Permanency can make some buff spells permanent upon oneself (permanent as far as duration goes; could still be dispelled I think). SRD has scrolls of permanency with XP already 'included' in the scroll.

For a character with Use Magic Device, but no spellcasting, is it possible/permissible to use scrolls of Permanency + spell to be applied to get, say, permanent Detect Magic on oneself? If the character's UMD mod is too low (scrolls are 20 + caster level, and Permanency has high min caster levels for the various effects) is there some other spell that grants a boost for arbitrary skill check (even if just one per casting)?

I can answer your first question easily, yes, you could UMD a scroll of permanency to make spells permanent on yourself due to the xp component being built in.

As for boosting your skills an allied bards music, anything to enchant your charisma.

Fizban
2010-10-03, 02:31 AM
Divine Inspiration gives a huge bonus on one skill check. Cleric 2, Spell Compendium. Buy a wand while you're at it, I'm sure it'll be more than worth it.

ffone
2010-10-04, 12:50 AM
All good tips so far, thanks.

Suppose the PC can get her UMD up high enough to reliably use a CL 11th scroll of permanency, but would like to 'cast' Detect Magic (or whatever the buff is) from an even higher caster level, as a defense against future dispels.

Does the Detect Magic also have to be from a scroll, or could it be, from, say, a wand (flat UMD DC of 20) or potion (no UMD needed)?

Fizban
2010-10-04, 01:54 AM
It doesn't matter where the buff comes from, all that matters is that it's a valid target for the Permanency effect.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-04, 02:00 AM
I think, though they removed this from the SRD, that the game allows, if you wheedle nicely enough, the DM to allow other spells to be permenanced.
Or maybe this was just Pathfinder.

Reynard
2010-10-04, 02:26 AM
It doesn't matter where the buff comes from, all that matters is that it's a valid target for the Permanency effect.

You can only cast Permanency on spells you cast yourself.

Killer Angel
2010-10-04, 02:48 AM
You can only cast Permanency on spells you cast yourself.

Indeed. Permanency's text is:

You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell.

Some sources (such a Wand) are valid for the purpose:

Activation
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

ffone
2010-10-04, 02:52 AM
Good catch Killer Angel.

Related question - Arcane Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) is like Detect Magic but 'always on', more powerful, and 'makes your eyes glow blue'.

So, if a character Permanencies Arcane Sight, does that mean her eyes always glow blue, and she always 'sees' magical auras even if it gets annoying? (In other words, might a char actually prefer Detect Magic for interaction / roleplaying reasons?)

Killer Angel
2010-10-04, 04:02 AM
So, if a character Permanencies Arcane Sight, does that mean her eyes always glow blue, and she always 'sees' magical auras even if it gets annoying?

I would say yes. (dark sunglasses eliminate the blue effect... :smallcool:)
This also reminds me the gaze of Iris, the Egyptian (The Twelve Tasks of Asterix).