Living Servant
Medium Construct
1d10+20 (25 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 13; touch 12; flat-footed 11
(+2 Dex, +1 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+2
Attack: Unarmed Strike +2 melee (1d3+2+2) or Sap +2 melee (1d6+2+2) or Dagger +2 10 ft. (1d4+2+2, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack: Unarmed Strike +2 melee (1d3+2+2) or Sap +2 melee (1d6+2+2) or Dagger +2 10 ft. (1d4+2+2, 19-20/x2)
Space: 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Darkvision 60 ft., For the Master, Low-light Vision, Natural Armor, Specialization, Uncanny Similarity
Saves: Fort +0 Ref +2 Will +1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 14, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 7
Skills: Climb +4, Disguise +5, Forgery +2, Jump +4, Listen +5, Profession (Butler/Maid) +5 Spot +5
Feats: Deceitful, Improved Unarmed Strike(B)
Environment: Any
Organization Name: Single, Assignment (2-5), Department (6-12), Staff (13-70)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: By character class OR 2-20 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +3

The living servant treats Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis) and Spot (Wis) as class skills.

A living servant without class levels picks two weapons and one armor type, and is proficient with the selected weapons and armor.

===Fluff===
The young human grasps her holy symbol tightly, her blue eyes making contact with the empty gray ones across from her. She knows the creature is not of the living, but it lacks the tainted aura of the undead. Rather, the creature was never alive in the first place. A shallow imitation of life, given flesh.

"Beautiful, isn't she?" The simple question nearly made her leap out of her skin. She turned to her right, and came face to face with a well dressed man. "Her name is Anastasia, one of the many servants at this manor. How may I help you, madam?"

The cleric glared at him. "Are you the one responsible for these... things?" A laugh, and a nod. Her knuckles were bleached white, her grip threatening to break the handle. "Then you are responsible for the town's citizens disappearing. Don't try to deny it, those 'people' roaming the town are just more of these hollow shells wearing their faces." She felt fury boiling inside her. "I will not stand by as you steal innocents from their lives!" She raised her weapon, aiming to bring it down on the man.

She felt herself slam into the ground. Her limbs wouldn't move, her weapon was thrown from her grasp, and the thing was standing on top of her. It gazed into her eyes with a burning hatred that simply should not be possible from a soulless shell. "You will not harm the master."

A living servant is unlike any other construct. It's body is flesh and bone, if still carrying a normal construct's durability and lack of weak points. It can emote on a subtle level, and grows to develop more emotions the longer it lives. It has an uncanny resemblance to most humanoid races, humans and elves in specific. Their makers can implant a personality, and it will even gain one on it's own given enough time.

For all it's similarities to humanoids, it's still a construct. It will fight to the death to protect it's master or carry out his will, and can never disobey them. They are commonly used as spies, bodyguards, butlers/maids, picked over their more powerful brethren for their ability to blend in seamlessly. Who would suspect that group of peasants locked in the basement was a highly trained attack force? Who'd guess that beleaguered, abused maid would sneak around and spring a trap on the party in the middle of her master's dramatic speech, then proceed to utterly decimate the party's barbarian in a fist fight?

Other reasons for their creation vary. Maybe an old man just wants a son or daughter? Perhaps the Wizard needs more cash, so he creates an assistant that can work for coin? Maybe the Necromancer is just lazy and doesn't want to clean up after herself. Maybe they're lonely, they want someone to confide in, or prefer their servants to double as eye candy (the three aren't mutually exclusive). The living servant's best quality is it's versatility, and it comes with the benefits of never tiring and unconditional loyalty.

===Combat===

In combat, the living servant combines the single-minded determination of zombies and other constructs with human emotion, lateral thinking, and adaption. Each living servant is created with their own specialty and fighting style (represented by class levels and the Specialization ability below), and are capable of learning new styles and ways of thinking.

Most commonly, they will be trained with levels of Monk or Rogue to become stronger without having to carry around several hundred pounds of obvious weapons. Their exact skill set and feat selection is up to their creator.

For the Master! (Su)
The living servant has a sort of link between itself and it's creator. It always knows where the creator is, their condition, and what they want it to do. When performing an action to serve it's creator's will, from a skill check to cook a meal to an attack role to destroy their enemy, it gains a +2 morale bonus (despite not being able to gain morale bonuses any other way) to the roll. The link cannot transmit thoughts or information, only emotion and desires. Direct orders must be given some other way.

This link can be dispelled, and entering an anti-magic zone breaks the link as well. Although the link renews itself after 5 minutes, the living servant has a -4 morale penalty (despite not being susceptible to morale penalties any other way) to all rolls for the time spent without the connection. If the master is killed, the living servant will gain this penalty until it finds a new master, at which point it will treat the new master as if they had always been their master for the purposes of this ability. The original master coming back to life will not return control of the living servant to them, and any orders they made to the living servant die with them.

The living servant cannot disobey a direct order from the master, but may do things that don't involve the master's desire. If the master heaps on too much abuse, the living servant will no longer gain benefits or penalties from this effect, but will still be bound to direct orders. There is no limit to the range of this link, so long as the living servant is on the same plane as it's master.

Natural Armor (Ex)
A living servant has a natural armor bonus equal to its hit dice.

Specialization (Ex)
Any given living servant has it's own purpose, giving some major variation in their abilities and design. At creation, and every 4 levels/hitdie later, select one of the specializations on the following list. The living servant gains that specialization. Each specialization may be taken multiple times.

If a specialization grants a competence bonus to skills, treat those skills as class skills. For living servants with class levels, select 2 skills that are granted a competence bonus by the specialization and add them to the living servant's class skills list instead.

(Note: The sample living servant uses the Fighter Specialization)

Assassin: The Living Servant gains 1d6 sneak attack damage. This specialization may only be taken a number of times equal to the living servant's construct HD divided by 2, rounded up.
Bodyguard: The living servant gains a +2 competence bonus to initiative, and a +4 competence bonus to Heal, Intimidate, Listen, Spot, Search, Sense Motive, and Sleight of hand skill checks. The living servant gets a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls made on creatures hostile to it's master.
Combat: The Living Servant gains +1 BAB. The Servant's BAB may never be higher than its HD.
Durable: Increase each of the living servant's HD in size 1 step. If this would increase a HD beyond d12, give a +1 bonus to hp for each instead. For every 4 HD it posesses, give it DR 1/adamantine as well. The DR does not stack from multiple 'Durable' selections, but the HD increases do.
Espionage: The living servant gains a +2 competence bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, and Use Rope skill checks.
Evasive: The living servant gains a +2 competence bonus to AC. This bonus is not applied if caught flat footed. It also gains a +2 competence bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Survival skill checks.
Fighter: Select 1 feat from the list of Fighter Bonus Feats that the living servant qualifies for. It gains that feat. The living servant gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls. This specialization may only be taken once for every two construct HD the servant has (not counting the first time).
Professional: Select 1 Craft, Perform, or Profession skill. The living servant gains a +6 to skill checks related to that craft.
Pugilism: The living servant's unarmed strike deals 1d6 damage and may be lethal or nonlethal. Each time this specialization is taken, increase the living servant's unarmed strike damage one step up the monk table. This specialization may only be taken a number of extra times equal to the living servant's construct HD divided by 4.
Research: The living servant gains a +2 competence bonus to Appraise, Concentration, Decipher Script, all Knowledge, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device skill checks.
Skillful: Add 2 to the number of skill points gained at each level or HD. If this ability is taken at the first level or HD, these points are quadrupled as normal. The Living Servant cannot gain more than 8 + Int modifier skill points at any level or HD except the first.
Survival: The Living Servant gains +2 to a single save. This specialization may not increase any save it affects above the "good save" value for a creature of its HD.
Talented: Increase 1 of the living servant's attributes by 2.
Weapons Prodigy: The living servant is now proficient with all simple weapons. If proficient with all simple weapons, it becomes proficient with all martial weapons. If proficient with all simple and martial weapons, the living servant selects 3 exotic weapons to be proficient with.

Uncanny Similarity (Ex)
A living servant heals as a normal humanoid. It can eat, breathe, and simulate sleep by remaining inactive for a length of time, though he gains no benefit from the first two. A living servant without class levels picks two weapons and one armor type, and is proficient with the selected weapons and armor.

Unlike most constructs, a living servant is designed to learn and adapt. It gains skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per level, with quadruple skill points for it's first skill die. If it takes a level in a class with less skill points, use this skill point progression instead. With all these similarities, a living servant gains a +(1 * HD) untyped modifier to Disguise checks made to pass themselves off as humanoids.

===Construction===
A living servant is formed from large quantities of iron (may be substituted with unspoiled blood), ground up into powder and mixed with clay and spring water. The materials required costs 200 gp. The creature's master must be the one to assemble the body. Creating the body requires a DC 20 Craft (sculpting) check or a DC 20 Craft (pottery) check.

Alternately, a recently deceased medium humanoid's body may be used at no cost and no needed assembly, but the body must be in pristine condition and this is an evil action if not given the express permission of the person whose body is to be used. The resulting construct will bare at least a strong resemblance to the original creature, if not identical, and retains some of the original's personality. It does not retain any of the original's abilities, however.

After the body is sculpted (or obtained), it is animated through an extended magical ritual that requires a specially prepared laboratory or workroom, similar to an alchemist's laboratory and costing 500 gp to establish. The building and the ritual can be performed together.

A living servant can be created with additional HD, Specializations, and/or class levels. Each additional Hit Die adds +2,000 gp to the cost to create, extra Specializations cost +4,000gp, while adding class levels costs XP equal to the amount required to gain that level (the first class level costs 500 XP). The total number of Specializations cannot exceed the Living Servant's HD.

Craft Construct, charm person, mending, unseen servant, caster must be at least 4th level, creatures without souls cannot create any living servants; Price — (never sold); Cost 1,575 gp + 117 XP.

Lore: Knowledge (Arcana)
{table=head]DC|Description

11|This creature is nearly emotionless early in life, but gains emotion and personality as it ages. From birth, it dedicates it's life to whomever it view as it's 'master'. It has a magic 'link' with the master no matter where on the plane they are, granting it strength when following their will but weakening it when the link is cut. Reveals "For the Master!".

16|Despite it's appearance, it is in fact a construct. It is known as a 'living servant', and usually chosen over other constructs for their similarities to most humanoids allowing them to blend in. It is also better at lateral thinking, and generally more lively company than most servants. Reveals Construct Traits and "Uncanny Similarity".

21|While simple, a living servant is extremely versatile and capable of learning things easily. When not carrying out a task for their master, they are usually instructed to study things to better serve their purposes. Reveals "Specialization".[/Table]

===Plot Hooks===
A peasant asks the group to investigate the disappearances of several other townsfolk, fearing they may be in danger. Not long after, one of the people he described is seen in the middle of the village acting suspiciously.
The party stumbles into a highly populated town after traveling down a dangerous path, searching for healing. Despite the number of people walking about, the town is completely silent beyond the quiet footfalls of the people. In the middle of the night, the group hears someone fiddling with the lock on their door...
A young humanoid with empty eyes is being attacked by a monster, making no effort to fight back but surviving an amazing amount of abuse from the creature and showing signs of life. The monster spots the party and charges towards them. When the monster is defeated, the young humanoid asks the party to help it locate it's master, offering treasure and it's assistance in return.
A child rushes over to the party, pleading for help. The kid was moving through the woods with his/her father/mother, when a monster attacked them. The parent sent it to the town as he/she held it off. It is eventually revealed the parent is a living servant, created by the child's actual parent before they passed away. The living servant has since then made the child it's master.

I wanted to create a monster that served all the DM's fanatically loyal battle butler/ninja maid needs. Want your big bad to have an army of battle ready servants ready to give their lives for him, but not make their presence obvious? Want a highly specialized espionage focused NPC to spy on the party/the party's employer, who can fade into the background as an 'unimportant background detail/random NPC we saved who does not show up as evil' when our paladin checks? Here ya go.

This is only my second (technically fourth, but the other three were part of a set) monster, and is probably really lacking or filled with mistakes. I've only recently started making monsters, and since my last monster thread was ignored (100 views, 0 comments) I'm looking for any advice all of you can give me. General tips, glaring flaw correction, nitpicking, additional features or abilities you'd like to see, and most of all balance/crunch fixes are appreciated. If you can help me make the fluff more interesting, I'd appreciate that too.

Yes, I know the name sucks. I couldn't think of a better one and I'm open to suggestions on that as well.

Edits:
10/3/10: Dropped the challenge rating to 1, added limitations to the creation and class levels of a living servant, increased Lore DCs by 10, buffed the cost of creation by 1.5x, changed the costs for extra HD (now just gold, scales for every extra HD) and class levels (costs XP equal to the required XP of the class levels themselves). Added Reinforcement Specialization.

Fixed an error in living servant's class levels at creation cost. Added DR as a perk to the Durable Specialization. Replaced Skillful's text with text that makes sense. Gave them a small number of 'class skills'.

10/4/10: Changed one of the creation materials from copper to iron, after learning the latter is found in human blood and not the former. Fixed stat block, listed skills, feats, and proficiencies, fixed DCs for lore, noted which Specialization the stat block uses and that the Living Servant can be created with the Living Construct subtype in Eberron. Fixed stat block again.

Added the ability to add Specializations at creation for extra cost. Added Pugilism and Assassination to the list of Specializations. Redefined the effect of Specializations on class skills, and reworded the Specializations ability slightly. Clarified the XP cost for the first class level. Added Combat and Survival Specializations.

10/6/10: Created the Weapons Prodigy Specialization.

10/9/10: Changed Profession (Cook) to Profession (Butler/Maid) in the example stat block.

10/21/10: Fixed a spelling error.

1/25/12: Minor typos and wording errors corrected.

sigurd
2010-10-03, 02:45 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the name. For what you're suggesting.

I think its very very easy to make. Cheap, fast, and fanatically loyal. You'd have whole towns of these things working for lords in no time.

I'd wonder about the side affects of animation for the recently deceased. Can you animate a corpse into half-life? Ie return its abilities etc....

I don't think you can simply add class levels for more gold. Levels get much more powerful quickly.

I think you need some sort of limitations on the number of these that a caster can make.

1. A feat to construct them.
2. A limit to how many they can make and how good they'll look.
ie. You might limit the servants to the bonus on their spell casting trait.

I like though. Reminds me a bit of Jagerkin from Girl Genius

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38470

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7274939#post7274939

Benly
2010-10-03, 02:49 AM
I like it quite a bit generally. My gut feeling is that it seems a bit on the inexpensive side relative to its quality, but I'd have to look at canonical construct prices a bit more to be sure.

Thinking about it, I somewhat agree with sigurd about class levels - maybe allow the creator to either advance it by construct HD, or to spend a certain amount to give it a single class level after which it has to advance by normal means? (Possibly allowing more class levels with a limit of some fraction of the creator's CL - maybe even with a higher cap for NPC classes so you can still have the BBEG cranking out potentially-dangerous warriors but not risk him making an army of wizards, who in turn make an army of wizards, who in turn etc.)

I don't think a cap on the allowable number of them is needed if there's a limit on their ability to be created with class levels, though - with pure construct HD, they don't seem particularly more exploitable than Eberron homunculi.

Fable Wright
2010-10-03, 04:23 AM

"Iz not like dat at all!" [/Girl Genius reference]
But seriously, they don't seem in any way similar. Jägerkin are merely much stronger than normal people, with a penchant for hats, and slightly lowered mental ability scores. They don't receive telepathic information on where their masters are, and they don't have a particularly wide array of optional specialties.

On topic: You should probably add 10 to each of the knowledge DCs. This seems like a really cool monster idea; creepy shells of humans that are fanatically devoted to their masters, and they could also serve as excellent spies; they would remain inconspicuous, and you would never need to question their loyalty. You might also want to add bits of whether or not used corpses retain any of the abilities of their previously-living owners, for free or otherwise, lower the LA to +1 or so, and perhaps raise the DCs on the creation checks. After all, these are almost-human constructs; they should be fairly difficult to make.

For the name, perhaps, "Remnant"?

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 05:25 AM
But seriously, they don't seem in any way similar. Jägerkin are merely much stronger than normal people, with a penchant for hats, and slightly lowered mental ability scores. They don't receive telepathic information on where their masters are, and they don't have a particularly wide array of optional specialties.

Note that being reminded of something is not the same as thinking they're the same.

I like For the Master! and Uncanny Similarity. You've connected flavour with crunch very well.

DracoDei
2010-10-03, 06:47 AM
Regarding creating them with class levels:
I dunno... the standard 5 GP to 1 XP conversion ratio MIGHT serve you well for making higher level creatures. In other words, to go from 1 HD to 2 HD is 5,000 GP, then another 10,000 GP to go from 2 to 3 HD... I would also cap it at 2 levels less than the creator (or maybe 3 or 4?) since that would avoid a lot of shenanigans. OF course, all this is at creation, and I would allow them to gain class levels as logical.

Ouranos
2010-10-03, 12:49 PM
I like it. With permission, I plan on using these extensively in my upcoming game.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-03, 02:12 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the name. For what you're suggesting.

I think its very very easy to make. Cheap, fast, and fanatically loyal. You'd have whole towns of these things working for lords in no time.

I'd wonder about the side affects of animation for the recently deceased. Can you animate a corpse into half-life? Ie return its abilities etc....

I don't think you can simply add class levels for more gold. Levels get much more powerful quickly.

I think you need some sort of limitations on the number of these that a caster can make.

1. A feat to construct them.
2. A limit to how many they can make and how good they'll look.
ie. You might limit the servants to the bonus on their spell casting trait.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38470

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7274939#post7274939

For the reviving the half-life deal, I have an idea at the end of this post. They wouldn't retain the abilities, but they would be able to take class levels they had before dying at a slightly quicker pace.

For the exact limitations, I was thinking that the total number of living servants without class levels are limitless, but the total number of class levels on living servants you control cannot exceed the ability modifier for the attribute your spellcasting relies on.

If they reach the required amount of XP to level up again, they sit at 1 XP less then needed for level up until your spellcasting stat increases or another living servant with class levels is destroyed. If it gets a new master with a lower limit, it retains it's current levels but cannot gain XP.

I'll add a note that only creatures with souls can create living servants, so your living servants cannot create more living servants, regardless of caster level.

Come to think of it, I do see a resemblance to Jagerkin. I was actually drawing more from Persona 3/4's Velvet Room attendants (Elizabeth, Theodore, and Margaret, but mostly the first two). Always ready to serve, seemingly emotionless, deeply loyal to their master, but show signs of emotion, personality, and curiosity that become more apparent over time.

I like it quite a bit generally. My gut feeling is that it seems a bit on the inexpensive side relative to its quality, but I'd have to look at canonical construct prices a bit more to be sure.

Thinking about it, I somewhat agree with sigurd about class levels - maybe allow the creator to either advance it by construct HD, or to spend a certain amount to give it a single class level after which it has to advance by normal means? (Possibly allowing more class levels with a limit of some fraction of the creator's CL - maybe even with a higher cap for NPC classes so you can still have the BBEG cranking out potentially-dangerous warriors but not risk him making an army of wizards, who in turn make an army of wizards, who in turn etc.)

I don't think a cap on the allowable number of them is needed if there's a limit on their ability to be created with class levels, though - with pure construct HD, they don't seem particularly more exploitable than Eberron homunculi.

I think I've got a decent limit for class levels; total number of class levels among your living servants cannot exceed your spellcasting attribute's modifier. I'm also limiting living servant creation to creatures with souls. No soul, no living servant for you.

On topic: You should probably add 10 to each of the knowledge DCs. This seems like a really cool monster idea; creepy shells of humans that are fanatically devoted to their masters, and they could also serve as excellent spies; they would remain inconspicuous, and you would never need to question their loyalty. You might also want to add bits of whether or not used corpses retain any of the abilities of their previously-living owners, for free or otherwise, lower the LA to +1 or so, and perhaps raise the DCs on the creation checks. After all, these are almost-human constructs; they should be fairly difficult to make.

For the name, perhaps, "Remnant"?

Done, done, and done. I like the name Remnant, but I think it's taken by something (corpses of spellcasters animated by their own remaining magical power, IIRC) and it kinda implies that the dead body based version of it's creation is the main one (getting a dead body that has nearly no physical damage is difficult for anyone without a great deal of poison knowledge).

Note that being reminded of something is not the same as thinking they're the same.

I like For the Master! and Uncanny Similarity. You've connected flavour with crunch very well.

Indeed, having the same memories and personality doesn't mean they're really the same person. Thank you for the praise.

Regarding creating them with class levels:
I dunno... the standard 5 GP to 1 XP conversion ratio MIGHT serve you well for making higher level creatures. In other words, to go from 1 HD to 2 HD is 5,000 GP, then another 10,000 GP to go from 2 to 3 HD... I would also cap it at 2 levels less than the creator (or maybe 3 or 4?) since that would avoid a lot of shenanigans. OF course, all this is at creation, and I would allow them to gain class levels as logical.

Thank you, I think I have a solution for the class levels, but I used this as a base for the additiona HD costs.

I like it. With permission, I plan on using these extensively in my upcoming game.

Go right ahead, though I will be making revisions as the suggestions come in.

Here's my idea on side effects from using a dead body:

If created from the body of a recently deceased, the soul of the original creature may choose to take residence inside the living servant. The soul's personality and memories are melded with the living servant's. The living servant still loses the original creature's abilities, but if the creature's Int, Wis, and Cha are higher then it's own, the higher score replaces the lower score.

If the original creature had class levels, it needs only 3/4th the required XP to level up if it chooses to take a level in that class it had before dying. So a character with 2 monk levels can take the first 2 levels of monk for 3/4th the normal XP requirement. Monk 3 and beyond would still require the same levels.

The living servant will still be fanatically loyal and must obey direct commands, but can make a conscious effort to subvert their master's plans. Living servants created from dead bodies can make a will save (DC 28) once per day to break their master's hold on them.

Being ordered to harm someone important to the original creature allows them an immediate will save with a +3 circumstance modifier for each loved one, which does not count towards the per day limit. If successful, they lose the "For the Master!" ability, and no longer need obey them (but still cannot make a direct attempt on their life).

Does this look alright? One change to it I was thinking of was to lower the DC by X and say it's the DC for disobeying orders for a day, and that beating it by X or more breaks the link.

I've also been trying to think up some more choices for Specialization.

Benly
2010-10-03, 03:14 PM
I don't really like the new limit on class levels among your servants that much, for my part. What happens to the servants' class levels when their master dies, or if they adopt a new one who has no spellcasting ability (such as the "adopted child" adventure hook)? It seems to me like the XP cost you added for adding class levels at creation should suffice, since it means creating a living servant with class levels anywhere near yours would be absolutely prohibitive.

I also think the cost doubling per construct HD is a bit much; if they have construct HD alone, these aren't enough stronger than Eberron homunculi to merit being geometrically more expensive.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-03, 03:20 PM
I don't really like the new limit on class levels among your servants that much, for my part. What happens to the servants' class levels when their master dies, or if they adopt a new one who has no spellcasting ability (such as the "adopted child" adventure hook)? It seems to me like the XP cost you added for adding class levels at creation should suffice, since it means creating a living servant with class levels anywhere near yours would be absolutely prohibitive.

I also think the cost doubling per construct HD is a bit much; if they have construct HD alone, these aren't enough stronger than Eberron homunculi to merit being geometrically more expensive.

Points taken. HD cost was returned to it's original state (minus XP cost), and the attribute modifier restriction was removed since the XP cost is sufficient.

Jane_Smith
2010-10-03, 03:29 PM
These remind me of the humonculi from full metal alchemist. Just without the finger-claws, ability to make shadows eat people, etc. But the ability to withstand ungodly punishment, loyalty, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3KKHEYsgY&feature=related
(Dar be spoilerz here. Be warned.)

Also - i think you oughta give them DR 5/adamantine or something. Corpses are typically alot more durable then the living thing, and some of the body designs you have listed for them include filling their body with copper/clay, etc. Would be the equivilent of punching a cement bag.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-03, 04:39 PM
The damage reduction is a good point, since it's either made from a copper/clay mix (I picked copper since human blood contains some, and clay because it's easy to shape) or a dead body.

Despite that, I'm reluctant to give them damage reduction. I want it to be easily adjusted for encounters at any level with some HD or class levels, and that would make them very powerful at lower levels. Maybe have it as a Specialization option?

EDIT: Created the Reinforcement Specialization. DR 4/Adamantine, can't be picked at first level, stacks with itself for a maximum (pre-epic) DR of 16/Adamantine at level 17.

Benly
2010-10-03, 05:01 PM
Something that struck me reading it over: as currently written there is no cost to give the Living Servant its first class level (since the "XP required to gain" level 1 is zero). Is this deliberate?

(Note that I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea making the first level cheap, since it's replacing their first construct HD. It should probably cost something extra, though, since a class level is almost certainly better than a construct HD even at one.)

UserShadow7989
2010-10-03, 05:05 PM
Something that struck me reading it over: as currently written there is no cost to give the Living Servant its first class level (since the "XP required to gain" level 1 is zero). Is this deliberate?

(Note that I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea making the first level cheap, since it's replacing their first construct HD. It should probably cost something extra, though, since a class level is almost certainly better than a construct HD even at one.)

That's entirely accidental. Thanks for catching that. For the first class level, how about 1/4th the XP required for it's first level up (level 1 -> level 2)?

Jane_Smith
2010-10-03, 05:09 PM
-idea-

Why not make the Durable Specialization give it +1 hit die increase, and +1 Damage Reduction /adamantine for every 4 hit dice it possesses? Cause as is, their flavored the same anyway. This way it caps at 5/ by level 20, but its mixed in with the bonus hit points.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-03, 05:20 PM
-idea-

Why not make the Durable Specialization give it +1 hit die increase, and +1 Damage Reduction /adamantine for every 4 hit dice it possesses? Cause as is, their flavored the same anyway. This way it caps at 5/ by level 20, but its mixed in with the bonus hit points.

Love it. Added the scaling DR 1/Adamantine to Durable, noting that it increases by 1 every 4 HD.

Benly
2010-10-03, 05:22 PM
Another problem catch: they have skill points but no class skills if they're built with construct HD. Maybe give them a bare-bones default class skill list, and add extra class skills to their list with the various skill-type specializations? Bodyguard, Espionage, Professional, and Research would presumably each add the affected skills to the class skill list for the Servant's construct HD, while Skillful might add two to four of your choice (two for the extra skill points, with the extra to give you flexibility with the inherent skill points of their HD and intelligence.)

Also, as written, Skillful adds the Living Servant's Int bonus again each time it's taken. Since there's a cap for their skill points per HD, this just means that Living Servants will reach their skill cap in fewer picks of the Skillful specialization, but it has the look of a C&P error or typo about it.

Ouranos
2010-10-03, 05:28 PM
This is quickly becoming a flesh golem variant of Warforged.. hint hint?

UserShadow7989
2010-10-03, 05:37 PM
Another problem catch: they have skill points but no class skills if they're built with construct HD. Maybe give them a bare-bones default class skill list, and add extra class skills to their list with the various skill-type specializations? Bodyguard, Espionage, Professional, and Research would presumably each add the affected skills to the class skill list for the Servant's construct HD, while Skillful might add two to four of your choice (two for the extra skill points, with the extra to give you flexibility with the inherent skill points of their HD and intelligence.)

Also, as written, Skillful adds the Living Servant's Int bonus again each time it's taken. Since there's a cap for their skill points per HD, this just means that Living Servants will reach their skill cap in fewer picks of the Skillful specialization, but it has the look of a C&P error or typo about it.

Ah, that's a good idea. I'm not sure what to give them as 'class skills' right off the bat, though. Do you have any suggestions?

As for the Skillful wording, that is a big problem. I'm not sure how to write it out though. How about "Increase the skill points received at each level/HD by 2, quadruple at first level/HD. They cannot receive more then (8 + Int modifier, quadruple for first level) skill points from any specific level/HD."?

EDIT:

I don't have access to the Warforged, or a flesh golem for that matter. I'm afraid I don't follow. It's intended to be a construct that can pass itself off as a humanoid, usually acting as a butler/maid but revealing it's true colors as a capable bodyguard when their master is threatened.

Benly
2010-10-03, 05:47 PM
Ah, that's a good idea. I'm not sure what to give them as 'class skills' right off the bat, though. Do you have any suggestions?

As for the Skillful wording, that is a big problem. I'm not sure how to write it out though. How about "Increase the skill points received at each level/HD by 2, quadruple at first level/HD. They cannot receive more then (8 + Int modifier, quadruple for first level) skill points from any specific level/HD."?

"Add 2 to the number of skill points gained at each level or HD. If this ability is taken at the first level or HD, these points are quadrupled as normal. The Living Servant cannot gain more than 8 + Int modifier skill points at any level or HD except the first."

As for base class skills, the normal physical and sensory skills (Jump, Swim, Climb, Spot, Listen) are pretty common. Maybe Disguise since they have a racial bonus on it, perhaps Profession since it seems like they're commonly made as servants or workers. A standard Living Servant has 5 skill points per construct HD before any specializations are applied (4 from the chassis plus one from their 13 intelligence) so I suspect they should have at least that many class skills.

It seems to me mechanically more similar to an advanced and highly customizable human-looking Homunculus. They fill a similar niche of being a low-cost construct with a variety of options for utility applications and upgrades, and they even upgrade on a similar cost schedule. They have better ability scores than homunculi, but don't have the homunculi's advantages of high specialization (Dedicated Wright's itemcrafting, Expeditious Messenger's telepathy, Furtive Filcher's stealth bonuses from Tiny-ness).

The Tygre
2010-10-03, 05:55 PM
Creepy and very flavorful. You really put some work into this. Good job!

Ouranos
2010-10-03, 06:05 PM
Warforged ar in the Eberron book, they're sentient golems, wood and stone and metal. A flesh golem is, obviously, a golem made of flesh. Think Frankenstein's Monster, but more horrific and evil crazy. Now imagine making a sentient golem out of flesh...

I understand what your intent was, and I LIKE it. Makes a good monster. But I'm really imagining a Warforged with Flesh now

UserShadow7989
2010-10-03, 06:14 PM
Warforged ar in the Eberron book, they're sentient golems, wood and stone and metal. A flesh golem is, obviously, a golem made of flesh. Think Frankenstein's Monster, but more horrific and evil crazy. Now imagine making a sentient golem out of flesh...

I understand what your intent was, and I LIKE it. Makes a good monster. But I'm really imagining a Warforged with Flesh now

Ah, I see. I never read Eberron. I only have access to the d20srd stuff, actually.

Ouranos
2010-10-03, 06:30 PM
Here we go :)

http://eberroncamp.tripod.com/id13.html

DracoDei
2010-10-04, 12:19 AM
Look up "Soul-stitched" for a flesh golem varient of warforged (which this isn't exactly). I think there was a DIFFERENT one that was part of Tears of Blood (ditto).

I haven't HEARD of human blood containing copper... IRON yes... copper I have only heard about for Vulcans (and maybe horse-shoe crabs? I know their blood is blue).

Zaydos
2010-10-04, 12:39 AM
Look up "Soul-stitched" for a flesh golem varient of warforged (which this isn't exactly). I think there was a DIFFERENT one that was part of Tears of Blood (ditto).

I haven't HEARD of human blood containing copper... IRON yes... copper I have only heard about for Vulcans (and maybe horse-shoe crabs? I know their blood is blue).

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but you are correct. There is no copper in human blood; Vulcan blood is apparently blue when oxygenated and horse-shoe crabs have copper based blood (which is clear when unoxygenated).

UserShadow7989
2010-10-04, 01:24 AM

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but you are correct. There is no copper in human blood; Vulcan blood is apparently blue when oxygenated and horse-shoe crabs have copper based blood (which is clear when unoxygenated).

Seriously? Dang. What with the coppery taste, then? *checks to confirm* Yeah, it's iron. Copper is mulisks and certain insects. How'd I mix that up? *Edits*

Here we go :)

http://eberroncamp.tripod.com/id13.html

Thanks. That's really cool looking, actually. I can see why you're thinking of a flesh golem/warforged mix. Both being constructs closer to humanoids then normal, after all.

The major divide is that LSs are almost perfectly humanoid/organic physically (beyond being impossibly durable and not needing to breathe/eat/sleep) and have little will of their own (at first, hence low charisma), while warforged are mechanical have a will of their own. I think the simplest analogy is that LSs are more human(oid) on the outside but more mechanical (metaphorically speaking) on the inside, while warforged are the reverse.

That sounds both weird and awesome at the same time. I'll have to start hunting for this.

Debihuman
2010-10-04, 06:44 AM
I thinks this are rather interesting. They have a lot of flexibility.

First, I recommend that you make your sample creature one of the types available. This will give someone a chance to use it as is. You could make samples of each type, but it's not necessary. You can still state that the skill and feat selection is up to the creator, but the point of having a sample creature is to have one that is ready-to-use for the DM.

That said, let me get to the statblock because I've noticed a number of problems there.

Attack is BAB + Size Modifier + Str modifier: Attacks are at +2 not +0 for your sample.

It should have 2 unarmed attacks since those are "natural attacks" as it has 2 arms (if it uses both to make an unarmed attack then it would be 1). The number of natural attacks is not based on BAB but rather the number of appendages that a creature has. Weapons should be separated by the word "or" not by semi colon.

You should list all the weapons proficiencies in a section below (including armor or shield if any).

For its Natural Armor, you should list that as an Extraordinary Ability since it's based on Hit Dice.

Natural Armor (Ex): A living servant has a natural armor bonus equal to its hit dice.

In the sample, creature the natural armor should be listed as +1.

Your sample is missing skills and feats. It should have the following skills: Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis) and Spot (Wis).

It should have "skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the construct has an Intelligence score." Since it has Int 13 (+2) it has 16 skill points to spread among its skills with none gaining more than 4 ranks since it only has 1 HD.

Any skills it gains from its specific subtype should also be listed.

It should have 1 feat. If it gains additional feats from its specialization, those would be noted with a (B) since those are bonus feats.

Knowledge checks should start at 11 not 15. See Skills in the PH or online SRD. The Check is 10 + creature's HD.

You could state that in Eberron, these could be made with the Living Construct Subtype. I think that would be sufficient.

Debby

P.S. You are right, I didn't comment on the Venus Lovers. I didn't like the premise. However, I didn't want to discourage you, so I kept mum on it.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-04, 04:32 PM
I thinks this are rather interesting. They have a lot of flexibility.

First, I recommend that you make your sample creature one of the types available. This will give someone a chance to use it as is. You could make samples of each type, but it's not necessary. You can still state that the skill and feat selection is up to the creator, but the point of having a sample creature is to have one that is ready-to-use for the DM.

Thanks. I applied the Fighter Specialization, since it's the easiest to remove if the DM wants a different Specialization.

That said, let me get to the statblock because I've noticed a number of problems there.

Attack is BAB + Size Modifier + Str modifier: Attacks are at +2 not +0 for your sample.

It should have 2 unarmed attacks since those are "natural attacks" as it has 2 arms (if it uses both to make an unarmed attack then it would be 1). The number of natural attacks is not based on BAB but rather the number of appendages that a creature has. Weapons should be separated by the word "or" not by semi colon.

You should list all the weapons proficiencies in a section below (including armor or shield if any).

For its Natural Armor, you should list that as an Extraordinary Ability since it's based on Hit Dice.

Natural Armor (Ex): A living servant has a natural armor bonus equal to its hit dice.

In the sample, creature the natural armor should be listed as +1.

Your sample is missing skills and feats. It should have the following skills: Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis) and Spot (Wis).

Fixed.

It should have "skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the construct has an Intelligence score." Since it has Int 13 (+2) it has 16 skill points to spread among its skills with none gaining more than 4 ranks since it only has 1 HD.

Done, though I'd like to note the SRD lists Int 13 as giving a +1 modifier, so I had 12 Skill Points to work with. (1 Climb, 4 Disguise, 1 Jump, 2 Listen, 2 Profession (Cook), 2 Spot).

Any skills it gains from its specific subtype should also be listed.

It should have 1 feat. If it gains additional feats from its specialization, those would be noted with a (B) since those are bonus feats.

Knowledge checks should start at 11 not 15. See Skills in the PH or online SRD. The Check is 10 + creature's HD.

You could state that in Eberron, these could be made with the Living Construct Subtype. I think that would be sufficient.

All done, thank you.

Debby

P.S. You are right, I didn't comment on the Venus Lovers. I didn't like the premise. However, I didn't want to discourage you, so I kept mum on it.

Yeah... the VL was a complete mess. 4 different concepts, little grasp on the mechanics of monster making, and the stat block was a total wreck. I'm actually pretty happy it went relatively unnoticed. Worst Homebrew I ever made.

Benly
2010-10-04, 05:09 PM

Unarmed strikes do not follow the rules for natural weapons, and a number of creatures with multiple limbs which do have natural weapons have only a single natural attack. The correct format for that would be to grant it however many slam attacks OP saw as reasonable. Unless it has slams, the previous format was correct.

2+Int is the default for constructs, but it explicitly gains extra skil points from its Uncanny Similarity ability.

These do not have the special properties of the Living Construct subtype. While they resemble living things externally, they lack a Constitution score and their similarities are as listed under the Uncanny Similarity ability. Living Constructs have special rules which are different from these.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-04, 07:03 PM
Unarmed strikes do not follow the rules for natural weapons, and a number of creatures with multiple limbs which do have natural weapons have only a single natural attack. The correct format for that would be to grant it however many slam attacks OP saw as reasonable. Unless it has slams, the previous format was correct.

2+Int is the default for constructs, but it explicitly gains extra skil points from its Uncanny Similarity ability.

These do not have the special properties of the Living Construct subtype. While they resemble living things externally, they lack a Constitution score and their similarities are as listed under the Uncanny Similarity ability. Living Constructs have special rules which are different from these.

All of the listed problems have been undone/fixed.

Benly
2010-10-04, 07:41 PM
Incidentally, I was thinking about this the other night and had a couple of odd ideas which may or may not be suitable.

The first idea was increasing the degree of customization by allowing the addition of specializations directly, maybe costing the same as adding two HD (so you could add the specializations for cheaper than just cranking up HD until you got another free one, but you wouldn't actually get the HD). It would be reasonable to still apply a maximum number of specializations, perhaps equal to HD.

The second, building off that one was using specializations to enable the servants to roughly emulate class roles. Modifications that came to mind:

The "skill package" specializations would add two of their relevant skills to the living servant's list of class skills for its construct HD. The Skillful specialization would add two skills of the creator's choice to the list of class skills. Skillful may be taken extra times even if the skill points per level have been maxed out, but only grants extra class skills at that point.

Fighter specializations beyond the first may only be taken once for every two construct HD the servant has (thus maxing out at the fighter's feat progression).

Pugilism specialization: The Living Servant's unarmed strike deals 1d6 damage and may be lethal or nonlethal. Each time this specialization is taken, increase the living servant's unarmed strike damage one step up the monk table. This specialization may only be taken a number of extra times equal to the living servant's construct HD divided by 4 (thus maxing out at the monk's unarmed damage progression, without Flurry)

Assassin specialization: The Living Servant gains 1d6 sneak attack damage. This specialization may only be taken a number of times equal to the living servant's construct HD divided by 2, rounded up (thus maxing out at the rogue's SA progression).

Combat specialization: The Living Servant gains +1 BAB. The Servant's BAB may never be higher than its HD. (I am not entirely sure that this one is a good idea, however.)

Survival specialization: The Living Servant gains +2 to a single save. This specialization may not increase any save it affects above the "good save" value for a creature of its HD. (Again, I am not convinced this one is a good idea.)

If these rules were used, it would probably be sensible to only allow the creation of Living Constructs with HD up to the creator's caster level, perhaps with the option of upgrading a Living Construct once it has been built.

Debihuman
2010-10-04, 07:49 PM
All of the listed problems have been undone/fixed.

Damage from unarmed attacks is nonlethal damage.

Constructs do get X4 skills for their first HD. It's quoted directly from the online SRD in my previous post. It is also that way in the Monster Manuals.

Benly
2010-10-04, 07:55 PM
Damage from unarmed attacks is nonlethal damage.

Constructs do get X4 skills for their first HD. It's quoted directly from the online SRD in my previous post. It is also that way in the Monster Manuals.

They do. However, you said they should be getting 2 per HD, which is explicitly altered to 4 per HD for the Living Servant by the Uncanny Similarity ability.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-04, 08:53 PM
Added the option to buy more Specializations at creation, but noted you can't exceed your HD in specializations. Don't want a Wizard creating an invincible killing machine sidekick by using one of the infinite gold tricks.

I also added the specializations you suggested, except Combat and Survival which I'm still thinking about (they seem a bit underpowered next to the rest; using Talented to boost strength gets the same increase and also boosts damage, while Living Servants have immunity to most stuff that would use a Fortitude/Will Save). Changed the effect of Specializations on class skills for Living Servants with class levels as you suggested.

In other news: This is the first topic of mine to have more then 1 page! *fanfare*

DracoDei
2010-10-04, 10:26 PM
while adding class levels costs XP equal to the amount required to gain that level (the first class level costs 1/4th the amount of the second).
This seems contradictory and/or unclear... do you mean that you can get the first class level for 500xp's rather than 1,000 (since from 1st to 2nd is 2,000)?

UserShadow7989
2010-10-04, 10:41 PM
This seems contradictory and/or unclear... do you mean that you can get the first class level for 500xp's rather than 1,000 (since from 1st to 2nd is 2,000)?

The first class level added on a living servant costs 500xp. I edited it to be clearer (I should have just put 500 in the first place). Should I boost the cost to 1000xp?

Benly
2010-10-04, 11:01 PM
Added the option to buy more Specializations at creation, but noted you can't exceed your HD in specializations. Don't want a Wizard creating an invincible killing machine sidekick by using one of the infinite gold tricks.

I also added the specializations you suggested, except Combat and Survival which I'm still thinking about (they seem a bit underpowered next to the rest; using Talented to boost strength gets the same increase and also boosts damage, while Living Servants have immunity to most stuff that would use a Fortitude/Will Save). Changed the effect of Specializations on class skills for Living Servants with class levels as you suggested.

In other news: This is the first topic of mine to have more then 1 page! *fanfare*

The reasoning behind adding Combat is that it allows a warrior-build Living Servant to have the full-BAB allotment of iterative attacks by inserting Combat Specialization at each HD where it loses a BAB. Survival was similarly to allow the Living Construct to "catch up" its saving throws - while it's immune to a lot of things that prompt Fort or Will saves, the things that do get through those it's extremely vulnerable to, especially with the lack of a Con score. The general goal I was aiming at was to let Living Servants approximate the various non-caster class archetypes by appropriate allotment of specializations, but keep them from catching up with actual classes of equal level by breaking it up into a variety of specializations and limiting the number available by HD.

edit: Also, what I was suggesting was that the skill specializations added those skills as class skills for the construct HD. Sorry, wasn't clear I guess. Or I was and you disagree? I dunno.

UserShadow7989
2010-10-04, 11:07 PM
The reasoning behind adding Combat is that it allows a warrior-build Living Servant to have the full-BAB allotment of iterative attacks by inserting Combat Specialization at each HD where it loses a BAB. Survival was similarly to allow the Living Construct to "catch up" its saving throws - while it's immune to a lot of things that prompt Fort or Will saves, the things that do get through those it's extremely vulnerable to, especially with the lack of a Con score. The general goal I was aiming at was to let Living Servants approximate the various non-caster class archetypes by appropriate allotment of specializations, but keep them from catching up with actual classes of equal level by breaking it up into a variety of specializations and limiting the number available by HD.

Good points. Added both. Having more options is never a bad thing, after all.