PDA

View Full Version : The Eternal Hero [3.5, WiP]

Ziegander
2010-10-03, 02:02 AM
The Eternal Hero

http://www.medbherenn.com/images/eternal-hero.jpg

Unlike a cleric or paladin, Eternal Heroes have no special divine calling, nor any strict adherence to Good. Eternal Heroes are mortal manifestations of the unassailable Positive Energy Plane. The nature of their energy based abilities is mysterious, and how or why they come to be is even more so. What is known is that even the least powerful of their ranks does not die. All Eternal Heroes return, at least for a time, to the Positive Energy Plane where they are reborn again and again. The most powerful of Eternal Heroes are simply not allowed to die, resting for a short time, mere moments in the most extreme cases, in oases of positive energy, these fabled warriors then spring back unharmed and undeterred in their individual quests.

Extended Fluff

Adventures:

Characteristics:

Alignment:

Religion:

Background:

Races:

Abilities:

Alignment: Any Non-Evil
Hit Die: 1d8

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Vitality|
Flare Level|
Flares Erupted

1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Turn Undead, Eternal Glory|
3|
1st|

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3||
8|
1st|

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Aura of Courage|
11|
1st|

4th|+4|+4|+4|+4||
16|
2nd|

5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Fast Healing 2|
19|
2nd|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5||
24|
2nd|

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Mantle of Life|
27|
3rd|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6||
32|
3rd|

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Fast Healing 4|
35|
3rd|

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7||
40|
4th|

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Quickening|
43|
4th|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8||
48|
4th|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|Fast Healing 6|
51|
5th|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9||
56|
5th|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|Continual Resurrection|
59|
5th|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10||
64|
6th|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Fast Healing 8|
67|
6th|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11||
72|
6th|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|Nexus of Many Lives|
75|
6th|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Eternal Renewal, Fast Healing 10|
80|
6th|

[/table]

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana or Religion), Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Survival, and Use Magic Device.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, all armors, light and heavy shields.

Turn Undead (Su): All Eternal Heroes, regardless of alignment, have the power to affect undead creatures by channeling positive energy through their bodies. Unlike Clerics, Eternal Heroes require no Holy Symbol to do so, however whether he is good, or neutral, the Eternal Hero may only Turn or Destroy undead, he may never choose to Rebuke them.

Eternal Heroes may Turn Undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + their charisma modifier.

Eternal Glory (Su): Because Eternal Heroes gain their power from the Positive Energy Plane they are reinforced against the forces of darkness granting them immunity to Blindness, Confusion, Disease, and Negative Levels. In addition they are immune to all negative effects of spells or effects with the [Light] descriptor as well as the negative effects of the Positive Energy Plane. Finally use your Eternal Hero level in place of your caster level when attempting to qualify for Divine feats.

Vitality: Eternal Heroes are infused with positive energy, somehow inextricably connected to the Positive Energy Plane. This connection grants them a limitless supply of positive energy which the Eternal Hero may use for a variety of effects. At the beginning of each of the Eternal Hero's turns (or every 6 seconds) he gains a number of Vitality Points equal to the value shown in the above table. These do not stack with, but instead replace, any VPs he may already have. These VPs may be spent for a variety of supernatural energy effects, known as Flares. Flares have levels from 1st to 6th and have varying action costs, durations, and effects unique to specific Flares. Eternal Heroes need not learn a Flare to use it, instead, each round a number of Flares from available levels, as given in the above table, randomly erupt from the Positive Energy Plane and into the Hero, granting him access for that round only. Eternal Heroes are only able to use Flares which have erupted in a given round, but on the next round a full new suite of Flares will erupt. (You can find the Eternal Hero's list of Flares at the end of this post.)

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, an Eternal Hero is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

This ability functions while the Eternal Hero is conscious, but not if he is unconscious or dead.

Fast Healing (Ex): Starting at 5th level, through constant exposure to the beneficial energies of the Positive Energy Plane, the Eternal Hero's body has begun to restore itself at an exceptional rate. Each round at the start of his turn, the Eternal Hero regains a number of hitpoints as given on the table above (starting at 2 per round, and improving by 2 every 4 levels beyond 5th, culminating at 10 at 20th level). This otherwise functions as the Fast Healing ability detailed in the Monster Manual (MM 309).

Mantle of Life (Su): Beginning at 7th level, an Eternal Hero is immune to all magical or supernatural Death effects. Further, each ally within 30ft of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against Blindness, Confusion, Disease, Fear, and Death effects, and against Negative Levels.

This ability continues to function even while the Eternal Hero is unconscious, but not if he is dead.

Quickening (Ex): At 11th level, an Eternal Hero's body is suffused at the cellular level with solid positive energy. At the start of your turn, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your level. If you already have any temporary hit points when you gain these temporary hit points, they do not stack -- use only the higher value.

Continual Resurrection (Su): At 15th level, Eternal Heroes gain the ability to return from the dead. At dawn each day, if you are dead, you are restored to life (as true resurrection). You can set a place where you want to be resurrected. (You must be standing in that place when you make the choice.) When you are resurrected, you can choose to be resurrected in the place you choose or in the place you died. You can choose a new location for your place of resurrection once per level.

Nexus of Many Lives: At 19th level, you can tap into the power of one of your past incarnations by expending 3 daily uses of your Turn Undead feature. When you do, choose which incarnation to activate and use the effect listed. The various incarnations you may choose from are listed in the spoiler below:

The Warrior (Su): Make a full attack as a standard action. For the purpose of this attack, you have a +25 base attack bonus, a +11 Strength modifier, and a magic weapon with up to a +8 enhancement bonus and special properties equaling up to a total +5 bonus equivalent. Each time you choose this incarnation you may produce a new weapon. You can apply any spells affecting you or feats you have to these attacks.

The Arcanist (Sp): Duplicate the effect of any 7th-level arcane spell from any class list. Your caster level is equal to your character level for this spell. While casting this spell, you do not suffer arcane spell failure, you automatically succeed on Concentration checks, and you gain a +10 bonus on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance.

The Disciple (Sp): Duplicate the effect of any 7th-level divine spell from any class list. Your caster level is equal to your character level for this spell. While casting this spell, you automatically succeed on Concentration checks and you gain a +10 bonus on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance.

The Traitor (Sp): Duplicate the effect of any 8th-level evil spell from any class list. This can include spells that can attain the evil descriptor if used in certain ways, such as summon monster spells, but must be cast as the evil version if used in this way. When you use the traitor manifestation, you might become evil if you are not already. Make a Charisma check (DC 20) after you use the manifestation. If you fail and are good, change the good axis of your alignment to neutral. If you are not good or evil, change neutral to evil. Your caster level is equal to your character level for this spell. While casting this spell, you automatically succeed on Concentration checks and you gain a +10 bonus on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance.

Eternal Renewal (Su): At 20th level, Eternal Heroes are able to immediately come back through death's door. When you take damage that reduces you to below 0 hit points (even if you go below -10 hit points), you can use this ability as an immediate action. You go to 0 hit points, then regain a number of hit points equal to half your maximum hit points. You can use this ability twice per day.

Ex-Eternal Heroes: Eternal Heroes whose alignment becomes Evil lose all abilities gained through Eternal Hero class levels, and no longer gain Vitality Points per round, nor do they have any access to Flares. There may be a chance for them to gain similar power from the Negative Energy Plane, the sudden vacuum allowing pure darkness, Negative Energy, to rush in. If this happens they die, and are then raised 24 hours later as Undead and lose all Eternal Hero levels, replacing them with an equal number of Risen Champion levels (this class does not yet exist).

Flares

1st Level
Rejuvenating Flash, Whitewash, Blinding Flash, Radiant Body, Guiding Light

Rejuvenating Flash
Swift Action
Cost: See text
When you hit with a melee attack you may spend any number of Vitality to have you or an ally within 30ft regain hitpoints equal the number of Vitality spent in this way.

Whitewash
Standard Action
Cost: 3VP
Duration: 1 round/two class levels
Range: 20ft
Area: 20ft radius, 20ft high
You conjure into being a cloud of radiance directly from the Positive Energy Plane. This effect is similar to the Obscuring Mist spell except that it cannot be effected by Wind or Fire.

Blinding Flash
Swift Action
Duration: 1 round/two class levels
When you hit with a melee attack the struck creature must make a Fort save or be blinded for the duration.

Radiant Body
Standard Action
Duration: 1 round
Area: Personal + 5ft emanation centered on you
For the duration you shed brilliant light as a torch and enemies within the area are dazzled. Further, enemies must succeed on a Will save to attack an ally instead of you.

Guiding Light
Standard Action
Duration 1 round/two class levels
Range: 120ft
Area: 30ft
Within the designated area you and allies gain a +2 bonus to ranged attack rolls for the duration. As a move action you may move the area by up to 30ft, so long as the outside edge of the area remains within 120ft of you.

2nd Level
Brilliant Bolt, Aegis of Awe, Darkpurge, Resplendor,

Brilliant Bolt
Standard Action
Cost: 10VP
Target: One enemy
Range: 110ft +10ft/two class levels
You fire a bolt of concentrated light at a foe within range dealing 3d6+Charisma modifier damage. If the foe is Undead, has the [Evil] descriptor, or has Light Vulnerability this attack deals double damage.

Darkpurge
Standard Action
Duration: Instantaneous + 1 round/two class levels
Area: 15ft emanation centered on you +5ft/two class levels
Within the area anything invisible becomes visible for the duration of the effect.

Aegis of Awe
Free Action
Area: 30ft emanation centered on you
Each creature within the area begins a new surprise round and rolls Initiative accordingly. You gain a +10 bonus to your roll, while enemies within the area take a -5 penalty.

Resplendor
Swift Action
Target: One ally
Range: 50ft +10ft/two class levels
The targeted ally may make a single new saving throw against any single effect currently effecting them with a +2 bonus to their roll.

3rd Level

4th Level

5th Level

6th Level

Ziegander
2010-10-04, 03:44 AM
Aww, man. 24 hours and no one's got any ideas for me? I don't know why I want to design this class right, but I definitely do I just cannot for the life of me come up with any inspiration for what else it should be doing, mechanics wise. :smallfrown:

Debihuman
2010-10-04, 06:57 AM
It is hard to evaluate something that is incomplete. Also, when you call something "Eternal Hero" it sounds like it should be a Prestige Class rather than a Base Class.

Debby

boomwolf
2010-10-04, 09:36 AM
I second Debby here.

On another note, the link is broken (or requires subscription), so I cannot even look at it.

Anyways, this class is light on abilities overall, and 1st level turn undead, 3rd level Aura of Courage is WEAK, I see nothing to actually gain in the class up until fast healing, and even that depends on the power of it. it NEEDS so low-power low-level abilities.

Ziegander
2010-10-04, 11:41 AM
I second Debby here.

Okay, guys but I'm not asking for evaluation. I'm asking for inspiration. Yes, I know it's incomplete, that's why I need help.

On another note, the link is broken (or requires subscription), so I cannot even look at it.

That's highly odd. I don't have any sort of subscription...

Anyways, this class is light on abilities overall, and 1st level turn undead, 3rd level Aura of Courage is WEAK, I see nothing to actually gain in the class up until fast healing, and even that depends on the power of it. it NEEDS so low-power low-level abilities.

Turn Undead can be used to fuel divine feats, some of which are kinda good, at least for low level I thought. Immunity to Fear is weak now? Anyway, I know it needs low level abilities, which is what I want to accomplish by designing an alternative casting system, I just have no ideas for what the system should be like mechanically. Healing and light-based attacks fueled by a seemingly endless stream of positive energy is what I'd like it to be able to do.

ErrantX
2010-10-04, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the link is busted, but google remembers it (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1k0LR4Zw4ZoJ:www.wizards.com/default.asp%3Fx%3Ddnd/drfe/20080428+http://www.wizards.com/default.asp%3Fx%3Ddnd/drfe/20080428&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a), even if WotC is starting to put the kaibosh on their 3.5 archives (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archives).

-X

Ziegander
2010-10-04, 11:56 AM
Very strange. Anyway, thx Errant X.

boomwolf
2010-10-04, 01:04 PM
Turn Undead can be used to fuel divine feats, some of which are kinda good, at least for low level I thought. Immunity to Fear is weak now? Anyway, I know it needs low level abilities, which is what I want to accomplish by designing an alternative casting system, I just have no ideas for what the system should be like mechanically. Healing and light-based attacks fueled by a seemingly endless stream of positive energy is what I'd like it to be able to do.

Ok, took a look at the link errantX gave, these high-edge abilities are VERY powerful alright.

As for turn undead-its only fuel for things you have to spend feats for, so its not a real ability of its own. (plus multiple other classes that get alot of other things as well have it as either a level 1 ability or a level 4 one.)
Immunity to fear is nice, but a paladin gets is sooner (and alot of other things before and with it.)

If you want a mechanical "stream of endless positive energy) you can have some sort of "power pool" that keeps regenerating in a constant rate (faster as you gain levels?) and allows you to spend some of it to cast some spell-like and supernatural abilities.

Debihuman
2010-10-04, 01:42 PM
An epic destiny isn't something you get as a Base class. You gain it after level 21.

Debby

ErrantX
2010-10-04, 02:07 PM
An epic destiny isn't something you get as a Base class. You gain it after level 21.

Debby

Not necessarily. There are compatibility rules for use at levels 12, 15, 18, and 20 if you're not running an epic game at the bottom of the article. As for a base class, it'd be difficult, but water it down enough at the lower levels and grow it up to 20th and beyond, could be okay.

-X

Ziegander
2010-10-04, 03:22 PM

Debby

Thanks for your help!

@Boomwolf: It gets Aura of Courage the same time the Paladin does, but still, I see what you mean. Even if I do give it some kind of regenerating pool of points it still needs something else going on in those first few levels. I'll be thinking of something.

Chambers
2010-10-04, 06:12 PM
Possible Inspiration:

Make use of Weapons of Legacy for the class.
Make character death useful. Lesser penalties when the character dies, gains temporary abilities upon being raised. [Planescape: Torment?]

Ziegander
2010-10-04, 09:54 PM
Make use of Weapons of Legacy for the class.

I have been thinking of tooling around with a base class that uses Weapons of Legacy in a major way, but I don't think this is the class, unfortunately.

Make character death useful. Lesser penalties when the character dies, gains temporary abilities upon being raised. [Planescape: Torment?]

Sadly, I have no access to any of the Planescape stuff. It sounds awesome, though. As far as those suggestions, yeah I can definitely work with that stuff.

Ziegander
2010-10-05, 01:06 PM
Okay, I've had a breakthrough and I'm making major headway on the class. Thanks for the inspiration guys, and sorry about the doublepost.