PDA

View Full Version : Tackle

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 09:10 AM
Simple question: is a flying tackle a grapple, a bull rush, or a trip attempt?

Greenish
2010-10-03, 09:12 AM
Depends on what you're trying to do.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 09:16 AM
Depends on what you're trying to do.

assume something along the lines of a football tackle. Jump, grab, and use your weight and momentum to bear them to the ground.

Quietus
2010-10-03, 09:17 AM
assume something along the lines of a football tackle. Jump, grab, and use your weight and momentum to bear them to the ground.

Goal : Target on ground
Method : Trip

This case, the tackle is a trip.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-03, 09:17 AM

That's a trip.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 09:28 AM
But the trip mechanics more indicate a creature tripping another with an appendage or weapon while remaining upright themsleves. In addition, there's no way to grapple in the same turn unless you have multiple attacks. I'm looking for a single action, potentially useable at the end of a charge.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-03, 09:30 AM
Grabbing someone and throwing them to the ground is a trip. You don't need to sweep their legs out from under them - you can trip birds.

The trip mechanics are for knocking things prone. That's all. That's the only definition the system has for 'trip'. If you tackle someone and push them to the floor, you are tripping them. If you grab someone and wrestle them to the floor, you are grappling and pinning them. If you tackle someone and push them backwards, you are bullrushing them.

Comprende?

Coidzor
2010-10-03, 09:37 AM
I guess you'd mostly just have to houserule that the touch attack at the start counts for both and then roll the checks, depending upon your preference to knock 'em down or to stay connected which to start.

Greenish
2010-10-03, 10:01 AM
assume something along the lines of a football tackle. Jump, grab, and use your weight and momentum to bear them to the ground.That's a foul. Red card and out of the field. :smallcool:

And yeah, you're trying to make the enemy prone: hence, trip.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 10:02 AM
That's a foul. Red card and out of the field. :smallcool:

And yeah, you're trying to make the enemy prone: hence, trip.

Wrong football, methinks.

Greenish
2010-10-03, 10:05 AM
Wrong football, methinks.Football is the game where you have an actual ball and play by kicking it with your feet.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-03, 10:10 AM
Football is the game where you have an actual ball and play by kicking it with your feet.

Rugby is a kind of football, by the way. Its full name is... rugby football.

So. Yeah.

Football is called that because it's played on foot, rather than horseback. Originally, football involved carrying the ball and there was no kicking because there were so many players it wouldn't do a thing.

Lolzords
2010-10-03, 10:13 AM
Football is the game where you have an actual ball and play by kicking it with your feet.

Then again, in football you don't even need to make a check. Accidentally brush past your average professional player and they'll dive on the floor and start whinging. :smallcool:

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 10:13 AM

But in AMERICA we do it the MANLY way. With 6'5" 400-pound men getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to brutally throw themselves at one another for our entertainment.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-03, 10:14 AM
American footballers wear body armour. That is not manly.

Try playing football in Australia some time. Or rubgy in Britain for that matter.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 10:30 AM
Full plate can be pretty damn manly...

Mongoose87
2010-10-03, 10:36 AM

Try playing football in Australia some time. Or rubgy in Britain for that matter.

If rugby player or australia ballers played the same sort of "300+ lb, slamming your face into someone's body at full speed repeatedly" game that American football players play, they'd have to wear helmets to. To keep them from dying. Because that's what would happen without them.

Sliver
2010-10-03, 10:54 AM
I just asked for a touch attack, a grapple check and a str check and winged it from there...

BTW Admiral, you are kicked off the party. Good day.

:smallamused: It's a joke.

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 10:57 AM
But the trip mechanics more indicate a creature tripping another with an appendage or weapon while remaining upright themsleves. In addition, there's no way to grapple in the same turn unless you have multiple attacks. I'm looking for a single action, potentially useable at the end of a charge.

Trip + fall on top of them. Dropping yourself is a free action, I presume.

QFT. *non-American-high-five*

But in AMERICA we do it the MANLY way. With 6'5" 400-pound men getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to brutally throw themselves at one another for our entertainment.
*ahem:*

Heck yeah. *shows off rugby bruises*

Zaq
2010-10-03, 11:54 AM
Simple question: is a flying tackle a grapple, a bull rush, or a trip attempt?

But... but... Tackle (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tackle) is Normal, not Flying!

I have nothing useful to add to this discussion. As you were.

Kilmrak
2010-10-03, 12:18 PM
Would'nt an Overrun attempt be the most suiting action?

dgnslyr
2010-10-03, 12:27 PM
On topic:
Since you're trying to knock someone down, I guess it would be a trip, but maybe with a bonus because you're throwing your weight around, and you end up prone as well. I guess it could also do a bit of Slam damage.

Off topic:
Even as an American, I still don't get why football is named as such considering the only times the foot meets the ball is during punts and field goals and whatnot.

Greenish
2010-10-03, 12:30 PM
Would'nt an Overrun attempt be the most suiting action?Ah, good catch, I always forget about that one. Yeah, running into someone and knocking them down is Overrun.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-03, 12:35 PM
Off topic:
Even as an American, I still don't get why football is named as such considering the only times the foot meets the ball is during punts and field goals and whatnot.

Because it's played on foot.

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 12:36 PM

Then why isn't basketball played on baskets? :smallamused:

Milskidasith
2010-10-03, 12:39 PM

Because not everything follows the same naming conventions? :smallwink:

Eloel
2010-10-03, 12:40 PM

Handball just gained a new image in my head. Thanks.

Spiryt
2010-10-03, 12:40 PM

Well, then as far as non motor sports go, we have a lot of footballs and polo!

Greenish
2010-10-03, 12:42 PM
Well, then as far as non motor sports go, we have a lot of footballs and polo!And of course the most manly of all sports, elephant polo.

[Edit]: Okay, the second most manly sport. The most manly sport is of course Grizzly-Boom tennis: http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-most-dangerous-game.jpg (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1488#comic)

dgnslyr
2010-10-03, 12:45 PM
And of course the most manly of all sports, elephant polo.

*Without a hint of sarcasm*
Because nothing is quite like playing a gentlemanly game on the backs of the bloodthirstiest animals on earth. Very manly indeed. :smallbiggrin:

edit: tone unclear

Eloel
2010-10-03, 12:47 PM
Because nothing is quite like playing a gentlemanly game on the backs of the bloodthirstiest animals on earth. Very manly indeed. :smallbiggrin:

Sarcasm detector crashed. Trying to understand how serious you are. Failing.

Spiryt
2010-10-03, 12:48 PM
Somehow relevant to the thread.

http://i37.tinypic.com/10dw9pz.jpg

dgnslyr
2010-10-03, 12:56 PM
Sarcasm detector crashed. Trying to understand how serious you are. Failing.

Actually, I was being perfectly honest. I hate how bad text is at conveying whether you're serious or not.

Eloel
2010-10-03, 12:58 PM
Actually, I was being perfectly honest. I hate how bad text is at conveying whether you're serious or not.

Then, Bloodthirsty elephants?! Those guys are herbivore...

Milskidasith
2010-10-03, 12:58 PM

Well, hippos are incredibly aggressive, and they are herbivores. Elephants can, likewise, get very aggressive for little to no reason.

lsfreak
2010-10-03, 12:59 PM

Not to mention they're one of the few non-humans that seem capable of altruism.

dgnslyr
2010-10-03, 01:05 PM
It would seem you are not familiar with the tales of Boatmurdered.

FMArthur
2010-10-03, 01:07 PM
Is there a way to get Leaping Pounce without being a Fleshraker? Could Improved Grab be finagled into a combination with Improved Trip? I don't think it's just the knockdown we're looking for, it has to be a knockdown and grapple, doesn't it?

Greenish
2010-10-03, 01:33 PM
I don't think it's just the knockdown we're looking for, it has to be a knockdown and grapple, doesn't it?Knock-Down & Scorpion's Grasp should work.

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 02:11 PM
Somehow relevant to the thread.

*snip*

I'd link to that rather than posting it, as animated GIFs are against forum policy.

...also, I totally thought the back of that guy's pants said "I<3Mom".

Because not everything follows the same naming conventions? :smallwink:

...naaahhhhh. :smallbiggrin:

Handball just gained a new image in my head. Thanks.

You are welcoooome!

Spiryt
2010-10-03, 02:26 PM
I'd link to that rather than posting it, as animated GIFs are against forum policy.

Animated images are still allowed as post content (preferably in a spoiler) but not in your signature or as an avatar as they detract from the rest of the forums when they are attached to every post.

It's a bit large though, so maybe...

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 02:41 PM
I just asked for a touch attack, a grapple check and a str check and winged it from there...

BTW Admiral, you are kicked off the party. Good day.

:smallamused: It's a joke.

*falls to knees melodramatically*
NOOOOOOOOOO! (http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/)

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 02:42 PM
It's a bit large though, so maybe...

I see. Carry on then.

Jack Zander
2010-10-03, 05:48 PM
As part of a grapple you can move an opponent with an opposed check. Can dropping prone be considered for this type of movement?