PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Diablo II based campaign

Toothpaste
2010-10-03, 11:25 AM
I've been wanting to make a Diablo II based campaign for spome time now. I've ordered the Diablo II: Diablerie which basicly is a dnd campaign set in the DII universe. I don't want it to be a mirror copy of the games plot line but i want it to be close.

any suggestions for monsters or anything would be great. I thnk i might use goblins as the fallen with adepts as the shamans.

Thx
-Toothpaste

DragoonWraith
2010-10-03, 12:06 PM
I'm actually in a Diablo II-style 3.5 game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151440) right now. You might ask Ernir about it.

hamishspence
2010-10-03, 04:13 PM
Maybe a good goal would be to make sure the game "feels" like Diablo 2. Magic items follow the D2 naming conventions (prefix, suffix). Gems exist which can be socketed into armour, weapons, and shields to boost them (Magic Item Compendium allows you to do this very well). And so on.

DragoonWraith
2010-10-03, 04:18 PM
The main thing is to keep things moving very quickly. Death is minor (you just have to run back; you lose half your XP earned towards the next level), enemies drop plenty of supplies for you so that returning to town doesn't have to happen often, and you gain XP quickly. It makes for a much more frantic game, and encourages players to fight aggressively and bravely.

If you do it right, it might even put some of the intended limitations of spellcasters into play, as they may actually have to ration spells.

hamishspence
2010-10-03, 04:32 PM
For it to feel most like Diablo, everyone would function like a psionic character (power points=mana points) and there would be lots of mana potions.

There's a magic weapon in XPH that allows you to regain power points- would be the equivalent of Mana Drain. And Unapproachable East has a vampiric weapon property that allows you to regain hit points.

Calmar
2010-10-03, 04:39 PM
You should definitely use the Diablo II Item Creator (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/diabloitems). (might need a bit tweaking from time to time to fit with 3.5)

hamishspence
2010-10-03, 04:42 PM
Wasn't The Awakening 2nd ed?

Diablerie (3rd ed) has its own magic item tables- which can do the job.

Calmar
2010-10-03, 05:58 PM
Well, then it's maybe not that useful for him... :smalltongue:

Awnetu
2010-10-03, 08:28 PM
I've been wanting to make a Diablo II based campaign for spome time now. I've ordered the Diablo II: Diablerie which basicly is a dnd campaign set in the DII universe. I don't want it to be a mirror copy of the games plot line but i want it to be close.

any suggestions for monsters or anything would be great. I thnk i might use goblins as the fallen with adepts as the shamans.

Thx
-Toothpaste

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/main.asp?x=d2/diabloii,3

hamishspence
2010-10-04, 09:12 AM
Maybe focus on making it feel like the Diablo world, without it needing to be in the game locations. Use the existing names, make the mechanics feel as Diablo-ish as possible.

The party could explore Westmarch, or the Amazon islands, or other places.

Toothpaste
2010-10-04, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas! im definitly going to check out the item tables or make my own.

casue those wierd item names were awesome. Im going to add some Scrolls of identify to .

zalmatra
2010-10-04, 11:03 PM
There is infact a rare diablo 2 dnd book with the various classes and items and whatnot if you can manage to find it

hamishspence
2010-10-05, 02:54 AM
There is infact a rare diablo 2 dnd book with the various classes and items and whatnot if you can manage to find it

The first post mentioned that he'd ordered it (Diablerie).

zalmatra
2010-10-05, 03:50 PM
Leave it to me to read everything about the post but somehow miss the important part >_<