PDA

View Full Version : Wolfguard (3.5 Base Class

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 12:34 PM
This class is the parallel of the Cat Burglar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6537198&postcount=756), by Bhu. I posted it in the cat thread first, but wanted to get some feedback on it.

Wolfguard
http://www.junglewalk.com/animal-pictures/3001/P-Timber-Wolffresco.jpg
“Woof.”

The Wolfguard’s origins lie several years after the creation of the cat burglars. A mercenary outfit calling themselves the Wolfguard were repeatedly failing to protect their employers valuable possessions. Constant failure was destroying their reputation, and one went to a real extreme-he had an arcanist turn him into an expensive looking statue, and hide in a bank vault.

He got stolen by what appeared to be a cat. When the spell wore off, he cut a small swathe of carnage through the cat burglars guild, and told the secret to his own guild. They met to decide on the route of action, and one rather slow soldier suggested they turn into dogs.
A brief silence followed, and then they searched for a powerful group of wizards to aid them, giving them similar powers to the cat burglars-the ability to take on several canine forms, with some other magical abilities to support them.

MAKING A WOLFGUARD
A Wolfguard is similar in some ways to a Cat Burglar. He can infiltrate households, appearing as a mere animal, but he is far more a combatant than the Burglar. Feats that give you enhanced combat abilities are good-consider Improved Natural Attack.
Abilities: Strength and Charisma are the most important abilities for the Wolfguard.
Races: Humans are the most common race of Wolfguard, although, ironically, some Awakened Cats have been known to take this path, just to give the Burglars a bit more punch.
Alignment: With their origins as mercenaries, the Wolfguard tend towards neutrality on the good/evil axis, but they tend towards either law or chaos on the law/chaos axis.
Starting Gold: As Fighter
Starting Age: As Fighter

Class Skills The Wolfguard’s class skills (And the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: 4+int (Multiply by four)
Skill Points at each Level: 4+int

Hit Die: d8

Wolfguard
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Hound Form
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Scent
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Eyes of the Wolf
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Track
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Favoured Enemy (+2)
6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Wolf Form
7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Assumption (Weapons)
8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Trip
9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3| Favoured Enemy (+4)
10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Great Wolf Form
11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Preyform
12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Assumption (Armour)
13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4| Favoured Enemy (+6)
14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|Hybrid Form
15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|All-Seeing Guardian
16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|Wolf Fang
17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5| Favoured Enemy (+8)
18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Alpha Wolf Form
19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Howl
20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Terra Wolf[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A Wolfguard is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, any natural weapons they can gain, and all armour, but no shields.

Hound Form (Su): At will, a Wolfguard can assume the form of a dog as a standard action. In this form, they are a small sized animal with a primary bite attack dealing 1d4 plus their strength modifier damage, and a 40ft move speed. They also replace their base racial ability score modifiers with +2 Dex-however, if they possess any templates, they may be applied on top as normal. (Although they don’t have to-some templates will ruin any chance of appearing as a normal dog.) They gain a +2 to spot and listen checks made in this form, and a +1 natural armour bonus.
They retain all powers of speech, and can talk to canines as if under the effects of Speak With Animals.

Any items in their possession meld into their new form, unless they could be worn in the new form. (Necklaces and other wondrous items tend to change into fitting forms, such as collars). Items that can be worn, including those that change slightly to fit, including most rings and wondrous items, continue to function.

This ability counts as Kitty Form for the purposes of prerequisites, but be warned! Major flavour reworkings could and likely will be necessary.

Scent (Ex): A Wolfguard of at least 2nd level gains Scent in any form.

Eyes of the Wolf (Ex): A Wolfguard of at least 3rd level gains low light vision in any form.

Track: A 4th level Wolfguard gains Track as a bonus feat.

Favoured Enemy: At 5th level, a Wolfguard gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against felines. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against felines. They also gain these benefit against any creature which has used magic or any other ability to shapechange into a feline form in the last 24 hours.
At 9th level and every fourth level after, these bonuses increase by two.

Wolf Form (Su) At 6th level, a Wolfguard can take on the form of a wolf as a standard action at will. At this point, they can use their Hound form ability as a move action.
In Wolf form, they are a medium sized animal with a primary bite attack dealing 1d6 plus their strength modifier damage, and a 50ft move speed. They replace their base racial ability score modifiers with +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con-however, if they possess any templates, they may be applied on top as normal. (Although they don’t have to-some templates will ruin any chance of appearing as a normal wolf.) They gain a +2 to spot and listen checks made in this form, and a +2 natural armour bonus.
They retain all powers of speech, and can talk to canines as if under the effects of Speak With Animals.

Any items in their possession meld into their new form, unless they could be worn in the new form. (Necklaces and other wondrous items tend to change into fitting forms, such as collars). Items that can be worn, including those that change slightly to fit, including most rings and wondrous items, continue to function.

Assumption (Weapons) (Su): A Wolfguard of 7th level or higher takes on some of the abilities of their weapons with their attacks. When using their Hound, Wolf, Great Wolf or Alpha Wolf Form abilities, their weapons meld into them as normal. However, their bite attack uses the damage, crit range, and crit multiplier of the weapon, unless they would normally be better. In addition, it gains the properties of any special material one weapon they held possessed, as well as any magical enhancements.
(For example, a 7th level Wolfguard with a +1 Keen greatsword now has a bite attack at +1 to hit, dealing 2d6+1+Str damage, with a 17-20 crit range.)

Trip (Ex): A Wolfguard of at least 8th level can, whenever he successfully strikes an opponent with a bite attack, attempt to trip his opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the trip attack fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Wolfguard.

Great Wolf Form (Su) At 10th level, a Wolfguard may take the form of a Great, or Dire Wolf. In addition, they may take Wolf form as a move action, or Hound form as a free action.

In Great Wolf form, they are a large sized animal with a primary bite attack dealing 1d8 plus their strength modifier damage, and a 50ft move speed. They replace their base racial ability score modifiers with +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con-however, if they possess any templates, they may be applied on top as normal. (Although they don’t have to-some templates will ruin any chance of appearing as a ‘normal’ dire wolf.) They gain a +2 to spot and listen checks made in this form, and a +3 natural armour bonus.

Preyform (Sp): A number of times per day equal to their Cha modifier, a Wolfguard of at least 11th level may cast Baleful Polymorph on one target creature within 25 feet. However, the spells duration is the Wolfguard’s Cha modifier in hours. The creature the target is polymorphed into is always a housecat.

Assumption (Armour) (Su): A Wolfguard of at least 12th level can retain defensive abilities when using their abilities. When using their Hound, Wolf, Great Wolf or Alpha Wolf Form abilities, their armour melds into them as normal, but continues to function regardless. Their armour bonus, arcane spell failure, max dex bonus, armour check penalty and maximum speed is the same as it would be if they were wearing the armour normally.
This ability does not apply to shields.

Hybrid Form (Su): At 14th level, a Wolfguard may take the form of a strange Wolf-Human hybrid. In addition, they may take Great Wolf form as a move action, or Wolf or Hound form as a free action.

In Hybrid form, they are a large sized humanoid with a primary bite attack dealing 1d8 plus their strength modifier damage, and a 50ft move speed, unless their normal speed would be higher. They replace their base racial ability score modifiers with +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, unless their normal modifiers for these abilities are greater-however, if they possess any templates, they may be applied on top as normal. (Although they don’t have to-even though they already look very strange.) They gain a +2 to spot and listen checks made in this form, and a +3 natural armour bonus.

Unlike other forms, this form has a humanoid body shape, including opposable thumbs, and thus uses weapons, armour and other magic items as normal.

All Seeing Guardian (Sp): A Wolfguard of at least 15th level can cast True Seeing at will, on themselves only.

Wolf Fang (Ex): A Wolfguard of at least 16th level is a terrifying opponent. Their fangs cause terrifying damage-when using a bite attack, their critical multiplier is always at least x3, and their critical threat range is never lower than 19-20.

Alpha Wolf Form (Su): At 18th level, a Wolfguard may take the form of a Wolf of terrifying size. In addition, they may take Hybrid form as a move action, or Great Wolf, Wolf or Hound form as a free action.

In Alpha Wolf form, they are a huge sized animal with a primary bite attack dealing 2d6 plus their strength modifier damage, and a 60ft move speed. They replace their base racial ability score modifiers with +8 Str, +2 Dex, +6 Con-however, if they possess any templates, they may be applied on top as normal. (Although they don’t have to-some templates will ruin any chance of appearing as a ‘normal’ dire wolf.) They gain a +2 to spot and listen checks made in this form, and a +4 natural armour bonus.

Howl (Su) A Wolfguard of 19th level can, as a Full Round action, produce a howl of such power and chilling energy that it harms and terrifies all that hear it. All beings within a 60ft cone take 10d6 points of sonic damage, as well as being stunned for 1 round. They may negate the stunning and halve the damage with a fortitude save. In addition, they must make a will save or be panicked for a number of rounds equal to the Wolfguard’s Charisma modifier.

All beings within one mile must pass a will save or become shaken for a number of rounds equal to the Wolfguard’s Charisma modifier.

This ability may be used a number of times per day equal to the Wolfguard’s Charisma modifier.

Terra Wolf (Su) One per day, a 20th level Wolfguard can take the form of a wolf of tremendous size. In addition, they may use any other hound or wolf form they possess as a free action.

In the Terra Wolf Form, they are a colossal sized animal with a primary bite attack dealing 3d6 plus their strength modifier damage. They replace their base ability score modifiers with +10 Str, +2 Dex, +10 Con-however, if they possess any templates, they may be applied on top as normal. (Although they don’t have to.) They gain a +2 to spot and listen checks made in this form, and a +8 natural armour bonus.

PLAYING A WOLFGUARD
You are a guardian, a defender, and a warrior. Sure, sometimes you want to curl up by the fire, but mostly you are raring to fight. You are the guard dog of unusual size outside that household, the softly growling wolf at the side of the supreme hunter, and the loyal hound that guards the camp.
Religion: Deities of order, honour or of combat are popular.
Other Classes: Rangers and druids often get on well with Wolfguards, who have even been known to act as animal companions.
Combat: Rely on high stats and powerful abilities. At higher levels, armour subsumes into your form, allowing you the protection you need to fight at full power.
Advancement: Barbarian is a common multiclass choice, as is Paladin. Bards are also common-if you ever meet a singing wolf, it was probably a Wolfguard/Bard.

WOLFGUARD IN THE WORLD
”Next time I see that mongrel I will tear his sorry tail out.” ~Pinky, infamous Cat Burglar
Few people know of the existence of Wolfguard, although those who have heard of them generally applaud their reliability and power, although their chaotic streak when not at work is less helpful.
Daily Life: Some Wolfguard have a vigorous training regimen they perform every morning. Others lie in front of the fire until noon, but all of them make a point to chase any cat they see.
Notables: Ragnar, one of the founding members of the Wolfguard, was the mortal enemy of Pinky-or so Ragnar liked to claim.
On the other end of the spectrum, Billy, an unassumingly named Cat Burglar, stole the secrets of the Wolfguard, becoming a being of consummate stealth and might that was hated wholeheartedly by the creators of the art, and hailed as a hero by other Cat Burglars.
Organisations: Almost all Wolfguard belong to the organisation of the same name, with most of the remainder being traitors who work for the Cat Burglar guilds.

NPC Reaction
Wolfguard are sometimes mistaken for Werewolves, which has got them chased out of more than one small village. On the other hand, those in the know tend to consider them somewhere between heroic mercenaries and sellouts who aid the rich in staying it.

WOLFGUARD IN THE GAME
Wolfguard render the standard fighter likely useless, but many classes do. They have decent combat abilities, and some tracking prowess.
Adaption: The Wolfguard could be a druidic group, an elite royal guard, or many other different origins.
Encounters: Maybe the PCs try to infiltrate a compound guarded by a Wolfguard, or they could be aided by one when attacking a Cat Burglar guild.

Ziegander
2010-10-03, 02:00 PM
Very cool stuff. :smallbiggrin:

By adapting it from being so focused on defeating Kitties, this could be a great class for serious campaigns. Thumbs up!

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 02:04 PM
The only silly feature I let in was Favoured Enemy, and I gave it Preyform to make that useful. xD

Ziegander
2010-10-03, 02:13 PM
Yeah, both are great features, they're just both a little silly but that's okay because they require only very minor adaptation. :smalltongue:

Pyromancer999
2010-10-03, 02:17 PM
Only one word describes this class: AWESOME.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 02:27 PM
(BLUSH)
It's all thanks to Bhu's inspiration.

Morph Bark
2010-10-03, 02:37 PM
The Skill Points at each Level has a tag that needs fixing.

The name Wolfguard seemed counterintuitive to me after reading some crunch, until I read the fluff. So they're meant to act like thieves, but they don't steal, instead they protect it? For some reason this really makes me think of the National Treasure movies...

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 02:40 PM
They started out as normal guards, but when thieves learnt how to turn into cats, they escalated.

Thanks for the formatting catch. XD

Melayl
2010-10-03, 03:23 PM
I like it. I agree with Ziegander about the reformatting for a more serious campaign, but I think it is pretty solid, over all.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 03:24 PM
Thank you. :)

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 04:46 PM
As much as I love this class' idea,from a mechanical point of view, I think the wolf forms are weak. I mean, it's worse than the shapeshift ACF. Granted, once you can start assuming the weapons, armor, and gear it'd probably turn out about even. At 8th level, a shapeshifter druid gets +8 strength, whereas yours get +8 at 18th, and your version replaces racial modifiers, too.

And on that note, now I have to go make a martial class with the shapeshifter ACF's abilities.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 04:54 PM
So, if you think it'll turn out even, does that make it okay?

Admiral Squish
2010-10-03, 04:59 PM

Well, That's the thing, I don't know. Unless I actually sic one on another, I couldn't tell you.

monkman
2010-10-03, 05:06 PM
so when arew you going to make
*Cats VS Dog Arena*
and could the favored enemy be callled
*Let the dogs bark* or something like that

Lix Lorn
2010-10-03, 05:07 PM
Heh. Be sure to tell me if you do.

I thought it was best to call an orange an orange and just call it favoured enemy.
As for the cats v dogs arena... I think the dogs would have the advantage, just cause they are made to counter cat burglars.

Melayl
2010-10-03, 07:19 PM
As much as I love this class' idea,from a mechanical point of view, I think the wolf forms are weak. I mean, it's worse than the shapeshift ACF. Granted, once you can start assuming the weapons, armor, and gear it'd probably turn out about even. At 8th level, a shapeshifter druid gets +8 strength, whereas yours get +8 at 18th, and your version replaces racial modifiers, too.

And on that note, now I have to go make a martial class with the shapeshifter ACF's abilities.

I think the modifiers would be ok if they added to, rather than replaced, the racial mods. (as written, it kinda looks like they replace all abilitiy score mods -- including magical)

(Edit):
Also, you may want to stat out the forms a little more. What is the base speed of each form? The base/natural AC? Can you take feats such as Multiattack or Improved Natural Weapon/Armor with the forms?

(Edit to the Edit):
You may wish to state that Eyes of the Wolf would increase the range of any Low Light Vision they already possess. Also, I think animals get Darkvision in 3.5. If they do, you may wish to add that, too.

Saveducks
2010-10-04, 12:28 AM
This is a very neat class but I have a question,

Assumption (Weapons) (Su): A Wolfguard of 7th level or higher takes on some of the abilities of their weapons with their attacks. When using their Hound, Wolf, Great Wolf or Alpha Wolf Form abilities, their weapons meld into them as normal. However, their bite attack uses the damage, crit range, and crit multiplier of the weapon, unless they would normally be better. In addition, it gains the properties of any special material one weapon they held possessed, as well as any magical enhancements.
(For example, a 7th level Wolfguard with a +1 Keen greatsword now has a bite attack at +1 to hit, dealing 2d6+1+Str damage, with a 17-20 crit range.)

If the weapon is two-handed can you add strength and a half, also does it count as two-handed for power attacking

Bhu
2010-10-04, 01:30 AM
Shouldnt' you call Great Wolf Form something like Biggie Sized Corgi form?

:smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-04, 05:26 AM
They're only meant to replace racial ability mods from your base race. You think I should just add them..? I was trying to balance it at/weaker than Wild Shape.

Base Speed... ulp. I'll get on that. AC depends on you. 10+Dex+NA plus magic, normally.
Yes to the feats; I even recommended improved natural attack. XD

Good point... adds 60ft to their low light vision? And no, they don't get darkvision. I had the wolf, dog and dire wolf windows open as I made this.

No, you can't count your attacks as two handed. I considered it, but decided no.

Haha, probably, but the wolfguard take themselves WAY too seriously. (Read: I want to keep it MOSTLY serious)

Ziegander
2010-10-04, 11:35 AM
They're only meant to replace racial ability mods from your base race. You think I should just add them..? I was trying to balance it at/weaker than Wild Shape.

I would balance it more toward Rage, which can be drastically improved by Bear Warrior and similar classes, as well as feats (this can't be improved by either).

Lix Lorn
2010-10-04, 12:02 PM
Makes sense...

TechnOkami
2010-10-04, 06:32 PM
heh, heheheh, wolfguard. This reminds me of a Class my DM and I were making when I wanted something super specific. It was basically a were-amoeba with a hound/wolf/dogesque sort of shapeshifting ability at will with no limit duration. I eventually discovered I could dimension door myself and the ground (connected via katana, yes I was a samurai before I found out how fail it was) above my enemies and crush them to death. It was one of the most broken yet funny things I've ever done.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-05, 03:16 AM
...lol. That's awesome. XD