PDA

View Full Version : The Halloween Thread:It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Lord Loss
2010-10-03, 02:13 PM
Well, as the title suggests, Halloween's on it's way, so I thought it'd be nifty to have a plae to discuss and seek advice on everyone's favorite day of the year!

This may well be my last year of trick'r treating (as much as it shames me to admit :smallfrown:), so I'm going for an extra scary costume, I don't know what I'll be, but I want it to be terrifying. I have quite an arsenal of capes, masks and other assorted halloweeny things and my current idea is wearing my old clown costume along with a skeleton mask and one of those squirt-flowers (with the water dyed red, of course) but i'd really like an arsenal of ideas (none TOO expensive, though).

Also, I get a new decoration every year and the house is starting to look quite terrifying. We've scared quite a few kids away with our stobe light and a robotic dummy that rips it's face off and a tombstone that shakes and emits evil laughter and I'm not all that sure what to get this time round...

Finally, I'm hosting a halloween party and I've gotten my hands on lots of horror movies but I'm really looking for ways to spice this up and make it more than ''just another halloween party'' (admittedly, the fact that a very cute girl will be coming may have boosted my incentive to some degree). Any ideas are welcome.

Sorry for the wall of text, any advice is appreciated, general discussion of All Souls Eve (halloween) is also encouraged!

Bhu
2010-10-03, 02:36 PM
Ah Halloween. Bestest holiday ever!

Dienekes
2010-10-03, 02:37 PM
If you're not afraid of experimenting to get a proper look and wearing makeup there's a substance called Rigid Collodion that you can apply to your face that causes your skin to indent and add a scaring effect. Add proper blood and infection colors and you will look creepy no matter what your costume is.

I got it pretty cheap for my costume last year and it was regarded as my scariest.

Personally I find creepy make-up looks scarier than creepy masks, but they are definitely more time consuming.

Lord Loss
2010-10-03, 02:43 PM
I'd rather not use makeup, my friends have had real bad experiences with the stuff. As a result, I tend to steer clear of it. Although my friend pulled off an amazing costume involving some of the stuff, so I may give it a look, but I most likely won't wear any.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-03, 03:58 PM
Ah, Halloween, when folks around these parts lock up their doors and hide their cats and dogs. Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere, and things right out of a Lovecraft story happen.

On a side note, see my link for two Halloween-based competitions going on, one for spooky OotS Art and the other for monsters. Been running it monthly (50 months to be exact) for 4 years to this month.

Also an awesome Prestige Class competition going on for this month of the spooks:
PrC Contest XXII: Darkness On the Playground (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168897)

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-03, 04:02 PM
i love hallows eve :D

LordOMud
2010-10-03, 05:06 PM
Halloween, Samhain, Alls Hallows Eve, or what ever you call it, is my favorite holiday. I'm hosting a party this year and hopefully it'll be a blast

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-03, 05:13 PM
Halloween, Samhain, Alls Hallows Eve, or what ever you call it, is my favorite holiday. I'm hosting a party this year and hopefully it'll be a blast

i'm going to a friends house for a party/seance. i'm kinda nervous, should i bring my iron knife?

LordOMud
2010-10-03, 05:26 PM
i'm going to a friends house for a party/seance. i'm kinda nervous, should i bring my iron knife?

Seances are fun :smallsmile: Just don't bring in any negativity into the room and you should be fine. My grandma always says to bring salt with you during a seance, but I'm not sure how valid that is.[/just my 2 cp]

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-03, 05:29 PM
Seances are fun :smallsmile: Just don't bring in any negativity into the room and you should be fine. My grandma always says to bring salt with you during a seance, but I'm not sure how valid that is.[/just my 2 cp]

i know that, it's just the spirit in her house doesn't like me very much. last year we were messing with her ouiji board and something chucked a book at me from the other side of the room

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-03, 05:31 PM
Yeeeah, I don't go into the seance stuff. The less attention you draw from anything weird the better unless you know what to do if it goes downhill.

I.e. it may be just for fun, but too much crazy crap that we don't know about. I'll write about it and photograph it, but I'm not putting out bait.

Lord Loss
2010-10-03, 05:35 PM
Seance during the party... sounds like a good idea.

Any tips? I'll probably poke someone with an Ice-cube (or place it in their hand or something), but I've no ideas apart from that. I wouldn't even know how to conduct one...

Also, which of these is the best for a group of people ranging from squeamish people, horror fanatics and people who watch them occasionally:

Alone in The Dark Uwe Boll messes up. Again.
Drag Me To Hell
Paranormal Activity (two of us have seen it already)
The Descent
The Grudge 3
The Haunting in Connecticut
The Mist
The Unborn
Vacancy

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-03, 05:36 PM
Yeeeah, I don't go into the seance stuff. The less attention you draw from anything weird the better unless you know what to do if it goes downhill.

I.e. it may be just for fun, but too much crazy crap that we don't know about. I'll write about it and photograph it, but I'm not putting out bait.

i'll do it, but i'll try to keep a firm grasp on reality(and my rosary)

Any tips? I'll probably poke someone with an Ice-cube (or place it in their hand or something), but I've no ideas apart from that. I wouldn't even know how to conduct one...

same here, i'm just along for the ride

Lord Loss
2010-10-03, 05:38 PM
i'll do it, but i'll try to keep a firm grasp on reality(and my rosary)

Well, I'll be tempting fate the day before Halloween (If I never post again after Halloween, it means The Slender Man got me..)

LordOMud
2010-10-03, 05:39 PM
i know that, it's just the spirit in her house doesn't like me very much. last year we were messing with her ouiji board and something chucked a book at me from the other side of the room
Messing with spirits that don't like you usually isn't a good idea, unless u do a circle of protection or something

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-03, 07:12 PM
I hardly do anything for Halloween and I have NEVER gone trick or treating. :smallannoyed:

Skeppio
2010-10-03, 07:21 PM
Is it bigger in Tasmania? I've noticed hardly anynoe celebrates it here in Victoria. Guess it's just not a big thing in Australia.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-03, 07:27 PM
I can't think of Halloween until Thanksgiving is over, sorry.

Speaking of which though, I have a party every week for the next 3 weeks except next week. :smallamused: And I loooove hallowe'en parties...:smallcool:

Roc Ness
2010-10-03, 07:28 PM
3 years ago some kids came trick-or-treating at my house. Confused the heck out of my family. :smallbiggrin:

I look forward to seeing a Halloween'd playground.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-03, 07:30 PM
I look forward to seeing a Halloween'd playground.

Done. :smallcool:

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-03, 07:53 PM
i made my avatar a costume:smallbiggrin:

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/CynicalAvocado/AVY-2.png?t=1286153573

Trog
2010-10-03, 08:12 PM
'Tis, indeed, a wonderful time of the year.

And also mah birfday. :3

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-03, 09:20 PM
Is it bigger in Tasmania? I've noticed hardly anynoe celebrates it here in Victoria. Guess it's just not a big thing in Australia.

I had trick or treaters ONCE, and regretably had nothing for them :smallfrown:

But they weren't wearing costumes or anything.

Skeppio
2010-10-03, 09:25 PM
So....I take it that's a no? :smalltongue:

Yeah, don't see too much Halloween stuff in Australia. A friend had a housewarming on Halloween, so a couple of the attendees thought it was a halloween party. On the plus side, they brought a pinata! :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, I only remember maybe one Halloween where there was a decent number of people. I was six. :smallannoyed:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-03, 09:26 PM
I had trick or treaters ONCE, and regretably had nothing for them :smallfrown:

But they weren't wearing costumes or anything.

:smallfurious: FREELOADERS! ...Free Bird

Haruki-kun
2010-10-03, 09:29 PM
Is anyone interested in dressing up as playgrounders like last year? It was a lot of fun back then! :smallsmile:

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 09:36 PM
I'll most likely be reusing an old costume... No time to make a new one, and no one who saw the old one will be around.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-03, 09:37 PM
I don't usually do various avatars. When you usual avatar is distinctively not a character, it's hard to dress up. :smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-03, 10:01 PM
my costume is going to be as follows,
top hat
welding goggles
1800's re-enacting shirt
patched old pants
nerf maverick
cutless

-edit airship pirates don't need top hats

Thanatos 51-50
2010-10-03, 10:05 PM
I have a costume idea.

An Idea that needs a scabbard for my bastard sword.

Helanna
2010-10-03, 11:14 PM

This is why I could never live in Australia. Anyplace that doesn't celebrate Halloween is not a place worth living in. :smalltongue:

Although this year I'm not sure if I'll be able to do much - I'll probably still be driving up from Washington DC. It's about a 7 hour drive, although we'll probably leave early in the morning on the 31st, so we'll probably still have time for parties and whatnot . . .

At any rate, I don't have any costume ideas. :smallfrown: This should be fixed.

Bhu
2010-10-03, 11:56 PM

Also, which of these is the best for a group of people ranging from squeamish people, horror fanatics and people who watch them occasionally:

Alone in The Dark Uwe Boll messes up. Again.: Ho
Drag Me To Hell
Paranormal Activity (two of us have seen it already)
The Descent
The Grudge 3
The Haunting in Connecticut
The Mist
The Unborn
Vacancy

1402: It's okay
Alone in the Dark: Horrible film
Drag Me To Hell: Nice one, will prove to be problematic for the squeamish
Paranormal Activity: Begins slow, and takes it's time, so requires patience
Grudge 3: Awful film, get the first Grudge, or even Ju-On instead
The Haunting in Connecicut: It's okay
The Mist: Most depressing ending ever, but awesome film
Unborn: It's kinda meh, it'll make more sense if you know about demons from Jewish myth
Vacancy: havent seen

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-04, 12:06 AM
I watched What Lies Beneath once, it was fun as I watched it with a bunch of screaming girls and it's such fun screaming at the "scary" bits.

Lord Loss
2010-10-04, 05:42 AM
between Vacancy and The Descent, which contains less gore?

ghost_warlock
2010-10-04, 11:27 AM
Off-topic:

Ghosts of Halloweens past!

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/zombies300dpi.jpg
My coworkers & I from the print shop at Adams State College, Colorado. Circa 2003(?).

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/blackmageman02.jpg
Coworker and I, circa 2004.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/Skull_lick.jpg
Friend's wife and I. (2006, obviously.)

On-topic:

Pontypool - you should watch it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-04, 12:07 PM
Pssst, it's 1408, but yeah, definitely.

And I thought Drag Me To Hell was a B-movie trying to come across as not crap :smallwink:

The Village is my creepy film of choice.

I both hated and was creeped out by Fourth Kind. Only film to seriously give me the willies.

Ignition
2010-10-04, 12:57 PM
I used to dress up a lot, but I stopped giving a crap in college (about a great many things, mind, not just Halloween :smallwink: ). It's definately a fun idea, but the Chicago Suburbs in which I live are not conducive to trick-or-treating. Fortunately, most of the obnoxious twerp neighbor kids who used to wreck lawns and throw rocks at my black cats have moved out or been beaten by their parents; unfortunately, there aren't a lot of kids, or parents, who are interested in getting their kids out and about for candy.

Odds are low I will do anything special for this year, but I do want to go as Francis from Left 4 Dead sometime. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-10-04, 02:06 PM
Proposed costume
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/gallery/dose_movie_scarykids/090713_tt_labyrinth.jpg

Items in possession:
REALLY TIGHT PANTS

Items to aquire:
Ruffled shirt
Feathered Hair
Obscene amounts of makeup (can probably borrow)
Contact juggling acrylic ball

Optional items to aquire:
Hockey athletic cup for augemented crotch effect

Epic enough?

Pyrian
2010-10-04, 02:12 PM
Don't forget the shoulder plate with a worm coming through it. :smallwink: If you do a good job, come on down to the Labyrinth Masquerade (http://labyrinthmasquerade.com) some time...

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-04, 08:21 PM
the original texas chainsaw massacre, the exorcist, night of the living dead, dawn/day/land/diary/survival of the dead, evil dead 1 & 2, army of darkness, and my favourite....
Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D

druid91
2010-10-04, 08:36 PM
Ah.. Halloween, one of my favorite times of year, its right about the time when my ingrained summer apathy and weakness wears off and I can start going outside again.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-04, 10:17 PM
Well, a friend at work is having a Halloween party on the 16th, so I gotta have my costume ready by then. And, the Thursday before Halloween, the Fashion Design and Game Design departments of my school have a costume contest. I didn't win last year, but a bunch of people liked my costume. I did a home made Venom. Turned out not too bad. The winner was Scorpion.

This year, I'm going as a superhero. An amazing superhero. Freakazoid.

All I need to get for it now is black hair dye, black face paint, the boots, and some fabric to make his logo. I got everything else.

And, yes, my hair is long enough to shape into his. Just gotta dye it, glue it up, and put in the lightning bolts.

Need to shave, too. Freakazoid has no chin hairs.

nihilism
2010-10-05, 12:11 AM
my best costume ever was going in drag with a wig, revealing dress and 2 grapefruits.

+ i got to eat the grapefruits.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-05, 08:33 PM
my best costume ever was going in drag with a wig, revealing dress and 2 grapefruits.

+ i got to eat the grapefruits.

On a similar note, my brother is going to be the bearded lady.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-05, 08:39 PM
One of my favorite costumes was a silk shirt unbuttoned to my solar plexus, a cocky grin and a gallon of hair gel. I had a necklace that said "from: God, to: Women". This year, I'm going as Mysterious Figure. Trenchcoat, white blank mask, gloves, fedorah, boots... I'm that mysterious character in video games who shows up and is infuriatingly knowledgeable, yet evasive. "I know about the incident from seven years ago, and I know where to find your father."

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-05, 08:57 PM
One of my favorite costumes was a silk shirt unbuttoned to my solar plexus, a cocky grin and a gallon of hair gel. I had a necklace that said "from: God, to: Women".

I've heard of a version of that where you're dressed like a Christmas present, with the same tag hanging from you.

Bhu
2010-10-05, 11:34 PM
between Vacancy and The Descent, which contains less gore?

Havent seen them so I'm not really sure. I'm told Descent is the worse of the two gore wise but without watching I guess thats just the opinion of my friends.

Lord Loss
2010-10-06, 07:30 AM
I'll put my faith in your friends and go with Vacancy (Thanks Bhu!).

Bhu
2010-10-06, 04:12 PM
There's other stuff I could recommend if your not into gore, especially if you don't mind subtitles.

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-06, 05:07 PM
best halloween movie ever
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Trick_r_treat.jpg

Gullara
2010-10-06, 05:22 PM
best halloween movie ever
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Trick_r_treat.jpg

I like the little rhyme at the top, but otherwise I'm not interested. I detest horror films.

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-06, 07:21 PM
I like the little rhyme at the top, but otherwise I'm not interested. I detest horror films.

it's not so much "horror".... it's more like, "dark comedy"

Gullara
2010-10-06, 07:22 PM
it's not so much "horror".... it's more like, "dark comedy"

I can't say that's a genre I've heard of.

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-06, 07:29 PM
I can't say that's a genre I've heard of.

it's an interesting genre, it's morbid and macabre, but funny too

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-06, 08:20 PM

Army of Darkness?

Zain
2010-10-06, 08:45 PM
For this Halloween, I'm thinking that I'm going to make a companion cube, then somehow place it on my head. :smalltongue: No idea how many people will get it thought :smallannoyed:

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-06, 08:54 PM
Army of Darkness?

See this? This...is my BOOMstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart. YA GOT THAT!?
:smallbiggrin:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-06, 08:58 PM
See this? This...is my BOOMstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart. YA GOT THAT!?
:smallbiggrin:

I gotta get the shirt the Think Geek has.

Also, just caught the MI reference. Not sure if Remington has a factory in Grand Rapids, but if not, I think I know why it was chosen.

Both Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi are from Michigan. Birmingham, I think.

Gullara
2010-10-06, 09:03 PM

*Watches trailer* Still looks like horror to me.

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-06, 09:24 PM
*Watches trailer* Still looks like horror to me.

i guess i just have a more.... twisted sense of humour than you

Gullara
2010-10-06, 10:25 PM
i guess i just have a more.... twisted sense of humour than you

I can believe that:smallbiggrin:

Bhu
2010-10-06, 11:13 PM
Zombie Movie Recommendations: (specifically ones you may not have heard of)

For those who want comedy and very little Gore: Fido
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mo6C6up1Qo (its sort of a parody of 50's paranoia and Lassie)

For those who want roughly equal gore/comedy: Dead Snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQwEmeWnyI possibly nsfw

For those of you who want something that might require Mind Bleach: Deadgirl
seriously this is a reeeally messed up movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKbGG1giqg

And for those who want something a little different (and only one gore scene): Pontypool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehq2a8lum_4

Phae Nymna
2010-10-06, 11:40 PM
I'm gonna party hop on the 23 and 31 cause I've got a ton of party invites each night, but I'ma hop in STYLE. I'm gonna be Frank the Bunny from Donnie Darko and HOPEFULLY my boyfriend will be Donnie himself, complete with skeleton suit and hoodie. It's gonna be good.

Gullara
2010-10-06, 11:52 PM
Zombie Movie Recommendations: (specifically ones you may not have heard of)

For those who want comedy and very little Gore: Fido
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mo6C6up1Qo (its sort of a parody of 50's paranoia and Lassie)

For those who want roughly equal gore/comedy: Dead Snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQwEmeWnyI possibly nsfw

For those of you who want something that might require Mind Bleach: Deadgirl
seriously this is a reeeally messed up movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKbGG1giqg

And for those who want something a little different (and only one gore scene): Pontypool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehq2a8lum_4

What, no Shaun of the Dead?

Bhu
2010-10-07, 12:35 AM
Most people have heard of it.

Gullara
2010-10-07, 12:51 AM
Most people have heard of it.

It's still worth mentioning, but ya.

Lord Loss
2010-10-07, 05:40 AM
I've heard of both Dead Snow and Pontypool. They're worth a rent?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-07, 07:21 AM

Pontypool is, if only just for the fact that it's a Canadian movie. :smallwink:

thorgrim29
2010-10-07, 03:06 PM
I'm going as a generic fallout type guy, full face gas mask, canadian army greatcoat, black pants, black boots (plus, with the boots on I'm a bit over 6"6), also I'll try to borrow an airsoft rifle to accessorise.

Bhu
2010-10-07, 06:46 PM

Depends on the crowd. Dead Snow is European and thus subtitled (although I think there's a dubbing option on the disc). It's also full of black humor, and has a scene or two that will make people who have problems with gore squick.

Pontypool is an unusual movie, and has very little action compared to most zombie films. It also has a concept that might be difficult for some to wrap their head around (if you get it watch through the credits, theres an extra scene at the end).

also another possibility is an Australian horror/comedy called Undead if you like to poke fun at films, but it's quite gory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok8J-xyS4H0
it also has a badass hick Australian super-farmer

Ghost Movie recommendations:

Below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLUGhCLQkc
tends to tell its story slowly, no gore

Carved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFTs8ujxrE
in Japanese, even though the American release is cut it tends to be violent, and since the ghost is a child killer much of that violence is directed towards minors

The Appeared: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPK2cstHF78
not in English, it's about the murder and torture of dissidents in Argentina so will have scenes that squick people

Session 9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxkRNvEbhM
not much gore, and tells the story slow, so not much action
Note that in the movies I mention may not have much action is a way of saying 'really good, but play when people are awake'

The Devil's Backbone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHm_Me0CDC0
more of a war film set in fascist spain that includes ghosts as opposed to a proper ghost story, but awesome film

The Orphanage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6pPzh6Bd4
no gore, bit of a mystery film

Nightmare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM1YHRa0tbM
some gore, usual ghostly revenge story, in Korean, may mess with the squeamish

The Outpost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEI-v5pdivA
some gore, set in wartime, was filmed for 1 million bucks (or euros i think) which makes what they were able to do amazing

Shutter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwy8QSQliGk
disturbing ghost mystery, not much gore, get the Thai version the american one is a pale imitation at best

couple more zombies

Dance of the Dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmdUJJSQzhI
some gore, horror/comedy

Trailer Park of Terror: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHCaSJCKCo
definite gore and boobies, will definitely squick many

recommendations for werewolf/vampire/monster films coming soon.

Lord Loss
2010-10-07, 08:12 PM
I'm going to rent most of your suggestions, Bhu because I'm a huge fan of El Orfanato (The Orphanage) and your Zomvie movies look good. I'll take a look at Shutter a well.

I'm Canadian, so I'll definitley watch Pontypool.

IthroZada
2010-10-07, 08:21 PM
I think the Walking Dead is premiering this Halloween. I'll be far too busy to actually see it, but the next time it shows I'll definitely catch it.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-10-07, 10:07 PM
Okay, so, I mentioned I was going to be Freakazoid for Halloween this year.

And tonight, I had a brilliant idea of something to do the day of my school's costume competition. And I figured out how to do it.

I am going to put a large Freakazoid logo on the hood of my car.

Bhu
2010-10-07, 10:15 PM
And nw for Vampire Movies. A minor warning, I don't get to watch many vamp films (at least decent ones) and many of these will be foreign as a result.

Vampire Killers (aka Lesbian Vampire Killers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOIRq4hSIMw
Wants to be Shaun of the Dead with Vampires, but comes up short. It's an okay popcorn movie. Minor nudity.

Mr. Vampire (aka Kung Fu Vampire Busters): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOOAlZ8nlc will be in Chinese, and hard to find. Darn funny tho
Mr. Vampire 2 is also okay. It's also really campy so if you arent in to that...

Aswang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuokJTewpk baby eating Filipino vampires. Dubbing is bad, may be hard to find, but if you want something different...

Bandh Darwaza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LCjhh123U sold and/or rented in Bollywood Horror Collection Volume 1. Subtitled, is over 2 hours, and has the usual Bollywood weirdness. For those of you who want something really different.

Thirst: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG4AV6kLrKY Korean vampire film, has many erotic scenes so prolly not for mixed company, but still darn good and worth mentioning

Marebito: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV7J8WYETXo avant-garde, in Japanese. Has nudity, some gore, and one scene that will squick people bad. The ending is also open to interpretation.

Mystics in Bali: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CofhQRjmsc Not a good film by any stretch of the imagination. But it has Indonesian vampires, nudity, a flying head that sucks unborn infants from their mothers bellies, and a pig witch who is also occasionally an old hag or a bush. Extremely bizarre with bad effects, dubbing, etc. Good if you want your company to go "OMGWTF am I watching???"

Let the Right One In: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJUgsZ56vQ prolly needs no mention. Minor gore, subtitled, story takes a bit, best vampire film I've seen in years

Shadow of the Vampire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyBt5DDFcQY it's about the filming of Nosferatu, but in this film the actor is replaced by an actual vampire who is a crotchety old man. Kinda funny

some more ghost and zombie films:

A Tale of Two Sisters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anF5XiN8QY8 complicated Korean Ghost story, probably not good for parties because you will need to watch in 2-3 times to get whats going on due to revelations 3/4 of the way thru the film

Cemetary Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhNbG43XDg Only available dubbed and censored in US. Has much gore, dark humor, and nudity/sex. For parties with more mature individuals.

Event Horizon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd0nQUF00Sg space ship goes thru portal to hell. Gory, will definitely squick people watching the deleted scenes on the directors cut

The Ugly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD7r1RJJ88 hard to find New Zealand gem. Much gore, but it's all died black making for a really weird and creepy effect. Also has one sex scene, so no kids

Sars Wars, Bangkok Zombie Crisis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv03B2Xaalk Thai horror/comedy about zombies being caused by Sars. Quite possibly one of the worst films in existence, but is so unintentionally bad it's a must see. It also has a giant snake, jedi warriors, transvestites, and criminal gangs led by a transvestite whose ability to disguise himself is practically supernatural. Prolly for a more adult audience too.

.Rec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQUkX_XowqI in spanish and probably needs no mention, but I hadda anyways :smallsmile:

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-07, 10:23 PM
my favourite vampire film has to be "Låt den rätte komma in" or, let the right one in. swedish vampire film and source for upcoming film, let me in

Amiel
2010-10-07, 10:55 PM
Last night upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
Oh, how I wish he'd go away

It's the Revenge of the Slender Man

Admiral Squish
2010-10-07, 11:14 PM
I haven't been able to sleep properly in the last TWO MONTHS since I saw the slender man videos. I can't stay in a room with open windows after dark without getting freaked out.

Bhu
2010-10-07, 11:45 PM
my favourite vampire film has to be "Låt den rätte komma in" or, let the right one in. swedish vampire film and source for upcoming film, let me in

Let Me In is already released in US. The vampire is played by the girl from Kick-Ass.

Amiel
2010-10-08, 12:50 AM
Speaking of Halloween...
Here's a prank involving aliens gone horribly wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqI0U3pBdA

Will you dare to watch it?

Admiral Squish
2010-10-08, 12:54 AM
Speaking of Halloween...
Here's a prank involving aliens gone horribly wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqI0U3pBdA

Will you dare to watch it?

Oh yeah, I got to feel that little wave of goosebumps fly up my body when I saw it. Great...

Amiel
2010-10-08, 12:56 AM
Was your volume up to eleven too?

Admiral Squish
2010-10-08, 01:01 AM
Was your volume up to eleven too?

Not quite.

Bhu
2010-10-08, 01:41 AM
Cheezy but fun Monster movies or horror comedies:

Abominable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-aXhhN-ndo Very gory killer sasquatch movie with Jeffrey Combs and Lance Henriksen. Lance also did a more serious bigfoot film called Sasquatch Mountain (aka Devil on the Mountain): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k006dS12dKs

Infestation: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x89nmc_infestation-trailer_shortfilms Horror/comedy about giant bug critters. It never really explains whats happening so it has a weird Lovecraftian vibe amidst the goofiness.

Mega Pirhana: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhSogGnu4I Quite possibly one of the worst films ever, but is incredibly funny. It's almost scary that the film takes itself seriously when it's such obvious crap.

Black Sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gEDUDmZkyc Hysterical and very gory parody of Night of the Living Dead. With Sheep. And Were Sheep.

Deep Rising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8CYpb7zrjs Classic B monster movie with giant worm things invading a pleasure cruise being robbed by mercs.

Frankenstein Conquers the World (aka Frankenstein vs Baragon): http://www.nipponcinema.com/trailers/frankenstein-conquers-the-world/ Awesome Japanese giant monster flick.

Frankenfish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrKTLEPeO38 Nother giant fish horror/comedy. Not as epicly stupid as Mega Pirhana, much gorier. Some nudity.

God Monster of Indian Flats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLTUV1RitPM Incredibly cheesy film about a desert community of racists being terrorized by a mutant sheep who likes to dance with hippy chicks. Yes I'm entirely serious. May be a lil sleazy for the young'uns.

Killer Tongue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8gwZbuhgag very hard to find, and for good reason. Mind numbingly bad. A meteor crash turns a woman's pet dogs into prancing drag queens, and her tongue becomes possessed by a flesh eating alien that wants to spawn. It also has a subplot with Robert Englund of Freddy Krueger fame playing a sadistic gay prison warden. Very definitely not for kids, minor gore, no nudity but implied kinky stuff.

Jack Brooks, Monster Slayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejwdhipRQJU Angry guy whose parents were eaten by a troll grows up to be a monster killer. Minor gore, awesome old school critter effects.

Lost Skeleton of Cadavra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9Fs10IIk0 Cool parody of black and white 50's drive-in movies. Now has a sequel. Kinda fades towards the end, but most movies do.

Space Amoeba (aka Yog, Monster from Space): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WJN53wLURQ Amusing little rubber monster film from Toho with the worst looking giant squid ever.

Bhu
2010-10-09, 02:04 AM
Shall I do more movie recommendations? I think I have links to Halloween type recipes too.

Lord Loss
2010-10-09, 06:11 AM
Recepies would be a great addition to the thread. I need some myslef for the party that I'm hosting.

IthroZada
2010-10-09, 06:35 AM
Recepies would be a great addition to the thread. I need some myslef for the party that I'm hosting.

Well, if you truly want to make an impact, nothing beats a fine meal of Soylent Green.

Bhu
2010-10-09, 04:11 PM
Custom Caterings Halloween Recipes
http://www.customcatering.net/hallowee.html

Deadly Halloween Recipes
http://www.twilightbridge.com/hobbies/festivals/halloween/recipes.htm

Halloween Recipes
http://www.britta.com/HW/HWr.html

Halloween Recipes for Kids
http://parentingteens.about.com/od/halloweenfun/a/halloweenrecipe.htm

Halloween Recipes from the Chocolate Experience
http://members.tripod.com/~Chocolates/hallo.recipes.htm

Perfect Entertaining
http://www.perfectentertaining.com/halloween/

Rexanne's Halloween
http://www.rexanne.com/hwn-food.html

Squishy Things
beware popup
http://gilm.stormloader.com/

This should do you for now.

Amiel
2010-10-10, 04:51 AM
Soylent Green Mashies

What you will need
Potatoes
Green food colouring
Fatty gravy from barbecued meats

Instructions
Prepare the gravy by barbecuing the meat; any meat will do, however, lamb is preferred
Drain the gravy into a ceramic container and place the meat to one side; artistically decorate the meat to taste

Prepare the mashed potatoes

Combine the mashed potatoes with the meat gravy and apply the green food colouring
Prepare to enter a gastronomic wonderland

Bhu
2010-10-10, 03:41 PM
almost forgot this

http://www.halloween.com/

Amiel
2010-10-10, 08:39 PM
I feel Gingerbread Men is also apt and appropriate for this time of year.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-10, 09:17 PM
I've resolved I'm NEVER WATCHING HORROR AGAIN. Not even those creepy vids on youtube.

Can't sleep, slendy will get me, can't sleep, slendy will get me...

Lord Loss
2010-10-11, 06:31 AM
I've resolved I'm NEVER WATCHING HORROR AGAIN. Not even those creepy vids on youtube.

I used to be like this. I couldn't look at ads for horror movies. heck, i made excuses to leave the room during commercials out of fear of one of these ads (This was caused by some bad experiences at a haumted house in grade two).

What helped me was watching a whole horror movie, end to end, no pausing, no hiding under the covers. After that, I went to bed albeit fitfully. I barely got any sleep, but I've been a horror fanatic ever since and I've never been scared by a scary video or book again (still can't stand excessive gore, though)

mucat
2010-10-11, 11:36 AM
Just figured out my Halloween costume for this year.

I will dress in a black cloak with a deep cowl, so pretty much all you can see of my face is the long grey (fake) beard. I will go to a tavern, sit at a table in the corner, and look mysterious. Whenever anyone stops to talk to me, I will hire them to do quests. Five dollars if they'll bring me a beer, a couple bucks if they'll put a song I like on the jukebox, a mysterious artifact of great power (a Rubik's Cube or something) if they'll find a wifi spot and google something for me...

Most people will have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing, but the RPG veterans will get it immediately. :smallsmile:

(I suppose a variant on this for the WoW generation would be walking around with an exclamation point over your head all day, and hiring people for odd jobs when they approach you.)

Bhu
2010-10-11, 12:55 PM
http://www.extremepumpkins.com/

A little something for punkin fans

LordOMud
2010-10-11, 01:18 PM
http://www.extremepumpkins.com/

A little something for punkin fans

That's awesome :smallbiggrin: I've got some great ideas now

Cleverdan22
2010-10-15, 01:10 PM
Just giving this thread a small bump, for the sake of Halloween. Oh, also, I'm back.

But anyways, I was thinking of Elan as my costume this year, figured it would probably be easier to do his current outfit. Any ideas/suggestions, as to what to do for the overshirt or pants?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-15, 02:48 PM
I need to have a costume of some sorts for tomorrow. :smalleek:

I'll think of something.

Amiel
2010-10-15, 10:31 PM

Video; enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIGxKY5y6Mg)

Admiral Squish
2010-10-16, 10:57 AM
Video; enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIGxKY5y6Mg)

I will not click it, i will not click it, I will not click it...

Bhu
2010-10-18, 07:56 PM
I Sell the Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIQ-xcI1zKQ

Just saw this one. Nice little horror comedy. Some minor gore. Comedy about grave robbers running across cultists and the undead.

Nevitan
2010-10-20, 02:54 PM
This avatar makes me feel pretty clever. :smallbiggrin:

Gullara
2010-10-20, 03:07 PM
This avatar makes me feel pretty clever. :smallbiggrin:

I see what you did there.