PDA

View Full Version : Question about a build

Chickenzilla225
2010-10-03, 02:59 PM
In the campaign I am playing in, I am a neutral evil Dwarven Barbarian. I plan to take 7 levels of Barbarian, 10 levels of Bbear Warrior, and 3 levels of Warshaper. I was planning to take leadership at level 6 to start my army of evil followers. My party does not know I am evil. What feats should I get to help me out? I have Power Attack, and Cleave.

Eloel
2010-10-03, 04:33 PM
Google 'ubercharger' for ideas on how to get alot of damage on single charges.
You can't go wrong with Leap Attack & Shocktrooper though.

Hackulator
2010-10-03, 04:39 PM
You can't go wrong with Leap Attack & Shocktrooper though.

Don't forget about Combat Brute!

Greenish
2010-10-03, 06:01 PM
In the campaign I am playing in, I am a neutral evil Dwarven Barbarian. I plan to take 7 levels of Barbarian, 10 levels of Bbear Warrior, and 3 levels of Warshaper.Instead of 7 levels of barbarian, how about some Fist of the Forest (CChamp)? It gets you Con to AC, Scent, +10' speed and good Unarmed Strike Damage. Best of all, you can take all three levels before you can start bear warrior.

Also, have a looksee at Eldariel's Being Bane (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525&page=2).

Zhalath
2010-10-03, 09:17 PM
Seconding the Fist of the Forest. If you're taking Lion Spirit Totem (which, frankly, you should be), you don't get the fast movement. A little more speed to charge everybody is always nice. Also, with that Con bonus, Con to AC may help you overcome penalties for rage, and just protecting you anyway.

Don't you need a decent Cha to make Leadership effective? Dwarves get Cha penalty and Cha is a dump stat for barbarians, unless you like Intimidate. How are you getting around that?

Also, I can't remember if Frenzied Berserker is good or not. I've heard good things and bad things.

Greenish
2010-10-03, 09:43 PM
Don't you need a decent Cha to make Leadership effective? Dwarves get Cha penalty and Cha is a dump stat for barbarians, unless you like Intimidate. How are you getting around that?Cha 10 is enough to have the cohort at max level at level 6.

Also, I can't remember if Frenzied Berserker is good or not. I've heard good things and bad things.The good is that it's a monster when it comes to dealing damage.

The bad is that it's relatively easy to contain (easier than other melee to disable), and you can't control when you enter Frenzy, which may cause you to burn daily uses for naught.

[Edit]: here's a build that qualifies for the PrCs, as well as being otherwise decent:
barb1: Extra Rage
barb2: Imp. trip
fight1: IUS, Great Fortitude
fight2: PA
FotF1:
FotF2: Imp. Natural Attack
FotF3:

2d8 unarmed strikes, qualifies for Bear Warrior (5 levels there is enough, 10 is overdoing it). Bears get the Unarmed Strikes with iteratives, then all natural attacks. Pretty good for grappling too.

No Leadership, but it's a broken feat anyhow.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-03, 10:23 PM
Friends don't let friends do Frenzied Berserker. Granted, it dramatically increases damage output, but the problem is that a canny opponent can force you to TPK the rest of the party before they can react.

Ya see, every time ya take a hit, you gotta make a will save or go ape all over your friends, since there's no obvious opponents around. So a sniper with some sling stones is all it takes to force you to make will saves until you fail. When you do, you attack. You get a surprise round, because the party is not aware that you wigged out on them until you're eating their face. Several thousand damage a hit later, and the party is a fine red mist. Then the guy with the sling tosses a grease under your feet, and slits your throat. End of campaign.

Also? It's usually overkill. I mean, how many monsters in the book have more than 200 hit points? Okay, how many have over 1k? Look, with Pounce from Lion Spirit Totem, you're getting a full attack on a charge, at your full attack bonus. You're already doing a couple hundred a hit from Power Attack/Shock Trooper/Headlong Rush/Combat Brute. You don't need to be dishing out a couple grand per hit, it's all wasted because you turned him into a fine red mist long ago.

So yea, not so good an idea.

Fist of the Forest is okay, but the thing is... you are gonna have a craptastic AC anyways. Best way to leverage Power Attack is with a handy-dandy feat called Shock Trooper. Lets you take an AC penalty rather than an attack penalty. All the damage output, without the reduction in accuracy. And hey, you got a d12 HD anyways, right? So what do you care about taking a hit or three?

But here's the problem... Bear Warrior turns you into... a bear. Like with paws and claws. That can't wield a weapon. Which severely hurts your damage output from Power Attack. And the bonuses? Are not all that great.

Also, why go all 10 levels in Bear Warrior? You get everything from the last form at level 5, less a +4 strength. Big deal. That saves you five levels to spend elsewhere.

My suggestion: If you are going to have a lousy AC, then capitalize on that. Combat Reflexes + Karmic Strike. You get hit, you get an AoO against the guy that hit you, which is likely to turn him into a fine red mist. Sure, go ahead and hit me. 25 damage? Fine. Here, have ten times that back. Have a nice day.

Shenanigans
2010-10-04, 11:01 AM
If you're taking Bear Warrior for concept purposes, go ahead, but what Shneekey said about Power Attack being made less effective is right on.

A Tripping build or a Charging build are both valid options, depending on what you are looking for. I also like the Karmic Strike/Combat Reflexes combination, especially on a tripping build, which should have a decent Dex anyway.

Fouredged Sword
2010-10-04, 11:08 AM
I have considered a bear warrior base for a war-hulk build, as you loose all class features of war hulk while not large. (off the to of my head bear warrior makes you large when a bear right?). It is a way to get around that iritateing inability to use mental skills. You just can't use mental skills with your bear form.

Eloel
2010-10-04, 11:11 AM
I have considered a bear warrior base for a war-hulk build, as you loose all class features of war hulk while not large. (off the to of my head bear warrior makes you large when a bear right?). It is a way to get around that iritateing inability to use mental skills. You just can't use mental skills with your bear form.
Goliath + Mountain Rage + War-Hulk is another one that can be used. It also makes room for other PrCs, instead of the underwhelming Bear Warrior.

When you're raging, chances are, you are not using mental skills anyway.

grarrrg
2010-10-04, 12:05 PM
In the campaign I am playing in, I am a neutral evil Dwarven Barbarian. I plan to take 7 levels of Barbarian, 10 levels of Bbear Warrior, and 3 levels of Warshaper. I was planning to take leadership at level 6 to start my army of evil followers. My party does not know I am evil. What feats should I get to help me out? I have Power Attack, and Cleave.

If you want to maximize your followers and don't mind switching races you could go into Orc Warlord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a) (at bottom of page, page also has "grey-orc" and a few feats, one of which is needed to enter the PrC)
Other than the "Must be Orcish" part, you pretty much already meet the requirements. It has Full Bab, d12 Hd, Good Fort AND Will saves. At levels 1 and 3 you get increased followers, level 2 gets you Inspire Courage, which CAN be used during a Rage.
Level 4 is dead and Level 5 gives a debatable ability.

End result, you trade in 2 Con, 2 Int (depends on exact Orc race), and probably a level or 2 of Barbarian, and you get 2 Str, a Fort boost, a Will boost, more followers, and Inspire Courage.

Ruinix
2010-10-04, 12:12 PM

rightfull wrath from BoED remove the inahibility of mental skill and usfulnes thinking. also give a nice chance of leave shaken the enemy.

another good route for a barbarian is the Fear Factor barbarian (pun intended :p)

google fear handbook and enjoy.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-04, 08:15 PM
Goliath + Mountain Rage + War-Hulk is another one that can be used. It also makes room for other PrCs, instead of the underwhelming Bear Warrior.

Or even Tallfellow Halfling + Stoneblessed3 + Mountain Rage + Warhulk. He goes from Small to Large size when he rages. Don't make me angry, you won't like me when I'm angry.

another good route for a barbarian is the Fear Factor barbarian (pun intended :p)

google fear handbook and enjoy. Meh, I've got CW Samurai builds scarier than that...