PDA

View Full Version : Curious about mind bender Pclass

Wolfenscar
2010-10-03, 04:17 PM
So I was wanting to make a Dragon wrought kobold sorc. Which would then turn into a mind bender. Was curious on what are the best options to go about that. Would wizard be better. What are all my options.

Boren
2010-10-03, 04:22 PM
No mind benders are ALL about charisma so your gonna want to use that as your casting stat. Mind benders also love there skill points so you may want to think about a bard even. Depending on how many levels your going Sublime Cord can help your casting. I guess the bigest question would be are you going to do just a 1 level dip and go with full caster or are your looking to level along the mind bending path?

2010-10-03, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure what attracts you to the Mindbender PrC, but if you're concerned about having the best, most powerful Enchantment spell user you can play, don't play a Mindbender. You lose a lot of magic for not a lot in return. A straightforward Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer is already a very powerful class/race combo. You don't really need to add to it.

Wolfenscar
2010-10-03, 04:46 PM
Believe for Mindbender need 5 levels in arcane, So was most likely go into 5 in sorc, level up mindbender then go from there. As for why Its not really about being the owner of the battle field, More having fun. I'm used to either playing a druid that commands the battlefield, Or an assassin who murders people, Mindbender seemed fun to control others and use them as my dirty work. Though I just dont wanna be completely useless controller so a bit of magic would be nice but I'm not expecting fireballs every fight with cone of cold every other spell.

Never really looked at bards though, Have had one friend who always played one. Straight bard though. He was more or less the joke of the group.

gorfnab
2010-10-03, 06:05 PM
Mindbender is really only good for a 1 level dip with the Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness. With Mindbender you end up loosing 5 caster levels which is painful. The other class abilities of Mindbender just don't make up for the 5 lost caster levels.

Glimbur
2010-10-03, 06:40 PM
As others have said, the problem with Mindbender is that the crunch doesn't match the fluff. All their abilities are things you can do with spells anyway. Spells which you could be casting if you didn't have a 1/2 casting progression class. Take straight wizard or sorc or whatever and just call yourself a mind bender. Cast Enchantment spells. It's a little simpler and more effective.

lsfreak
2010-10-03, 06:47 PM
Beguiler, from PHB2, fits fairly well as a mindbender as well. Telepath psions aren't too bad either; they may not be quite as strong in enchantment as a sorcerer would be, but I find them funner. And Eldritch Theurge (CM) can make an interesting one as well, you can especially have fun with Insidious Suggestion, but again, not as powerful as plain sorc. All of these except the psion can benefit from a single level of mindbender, but no more than that. If you go that route, Mindsight from Lords of Madness is pretty much a must-have (lets you locate all creatures that are within range of your telepathy).

Eldariel
2010-10-03, 07:02 PM
Mindbender is a 1-level class. It loses way too many caster levels to be a competitive caster (with the class features it provides) further in.

Ormur
2010-10-03, 09:14 PM
You could try to salvage the class by giving it 9/10 casting but that's of course subject to DM approval. The permanent enchantments are as far as I know not duplicable by other means but of course most players wouldn't need their enchantments to be permanent at all. It's more like a plot ability.

Boren
2010-10-03, 09:16 PM
Personally I have to disagree with mind bender being a 1 level only class and while yes taking the full 10 levels costs WAY too much of your spell casting taking 3-6 levels can be made up easy as you don't lose that much ground. And the eternal charm abilities can be extremely powerful; just chose wisely. I'm playing a Bard/Mind Bender/ Sublime Cord now in a savage tide game and it is a lot of fun and at the end of things I will have full 9th levels spells and be turning armies around with a thought.

After thought: too bad the mind bender doesn't have to casting progression that Thrall of Malcanthet has; if for 10 levels you only lost 3 caster levels the full class would be far more worth it.

Wolfenscar
2010-10-04, 08:57 AM
Thank you boren and ormur, actually responding to the post. For ormur, what do you bsuggest for the fix, most likly my dm will allow it as long as there is a slight replace, which I can figure out with him what's a fair trade off.

As like I said not looking to have all powerful casting, though some would be nice but what I imagine is have 3 trolls and a giant, then having a thrall wizard or lich, (which is part of my second question) what is allowable to control, I'm assuming has to be humanoid or intelligent. Not sure what's allowed but I don't see why you couldn't control a wizard and there's your spell power