PDA

View Full Version : So you think you're an adventurer?(IC)

Wargor
2010-10-03, 04:19 PM
And here is our IC thread!

Link to OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9474666#post9474666)

The early morning sun streaming through your window hits your eyes, causing your to groan as you are stolen away from your dreams. As you try to turn over and get back into your dream involving a particularly fetching young nymph, you are rudely interrupted by a banging on your door which jolts you fully awake.

"Boy? Are you awake yet? Get your lazy backside out of bed! I've been up for hours whilst you've been lazing away!" Your Grandmothers voice is as biting and full of barely concealed irritation as ever. "Get up I said! You have chores to do!"

You hear her shuffling away from your door, muttering to herself about ungrateful brats, and lazy good-for-nothings. Just another day in the life of Roderick Cooper.

GodGoblin
2010-10-03, 06:21 PM
"Wha.. Oh, coming Grandma!" Rod clumsily puts on his breeches and shirt before stumbling out of the door.

"What is it you need now Grandma?" He says with a slight sarcastic tone in his voice

Wargor
2010-10-04, 07:28 AM
As you leave your bedroom you stumble into the main living space of your little cottage. It's full of strange nick-nacks and furniture, looking as though they came from all around the world. You see your Grandmother bent over a large cauldron, stirring the contents with a ladel and frowning slightly as she adds another ingriedient. Shes's a tall woman, with her long grey hair secured tightly in a bun, and wearing her typical black woolen dress and boots; she cuts an imposing figure. At your words her head snaps up and she glares at you.

"Don't use that tone of voice with me young man! Show some respect for your elders!" She turns back to the cauldron and sniff its, a thoughtful look on her face. "This is almost ready, and I'll need you to take it to Farmer Sparrow when it is. For now, hurry on down to the store and pick up the packcage Hugh has waiting for me. And be quick!"

GodGoblin
2010-10-04, 08:07 AM
Even though Rod has known this woman all his life the sight of her still sends shivers down his spine. "Of course Grandma but I havent even eaten! Perhaps I could go down after some breakfast?"

Wargor
2010-10-04, 12:10 PM
Your Grandmother glares at you, clearly affronted by this question. "Breakfast is for those that wake up in time for it!" She sniffs in annoyance, but her face softens slightly. "There should be some bread and cheese left in the ladder, but be quick about it!"

At this point you feel something heavy bump against your leg, and hear a slightly piteous whine. As you look down you see your grandmothers pet wolf Kira leaning against you, looking up at you with her sorrowful amber eyes. She continues to bump her head against you, clearly looking for affection.

GodGoblin
2010-10-04, 04:09 PM
Rod leans down to scratch Kira behind the ear "Good morning to you too" He laughs before running to the ladder and grabbing a hunk of bread and cheese. "Thanks Grandma! Ill eat it on the way" And he sets off to the store with cheese in one hand and bread in another

Wargor
2010-10-04, 04:52 PM
As you step out of the cottage you're hit by the bright sunshine of a beautiful spring morning. The sky is blue and clear above you, and a warm breeze fills the air. The path goes down a slight slope, which leads to the main dirt track into the village. The are around you is lightly forested, with trees of all shapes and sizes stretching away from you, the light streaming through their leaves dappling everything in a green hue.

After a short walk the trees begin to thin out and more cottages appear, until you reach the main village square. You see a group of other young men crowded around outside the village inn, The Hogs Beard. You recognise most of them, and the leader, a boy called Puck, calls out to you. "Rod! Want to try your luck?" He's holding a sling, and is pointing at a home-made target. Evidently the boys have been having some kind of competition. Puck grins confidently, obviously believing you'll never beat him.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 07:26 AM
"Uh, oh hey Puck. I should really be goi-" Rod was about to keep moving onto the shop but something about Puck's smarmy grin made him stay just to try and teach him a lesson. "Yeah sure, ill give it a go"

Rod then steps up to the mark, draws his sling and looses a bullet at the target

[roll0] Im guessing its within 30ft

Wargor
2010-10-05, 07:36 AM
Your sling bullet goes right through the crudely made wooden target and buries itself in the inn wall behind it with a mighty *THUNK*. Simultaniously all the jaws of the boys drop at the sight of your magnificent shot. The crowd around you, apart from Puck, congratulating you and slapping you on the back. Puck simply stands there stunned, unable to believe what you just did, clearly knowing he could never match it. Anger crosses his face as your accomplishment truly sinks in.

"Tha-that was a lucky shot! A lucky shot I tell you!" He sneers, his face screwed up in anger. "A slings just for babys anyway! I KNOW you couldn't takle me in a real fight!" He steps up to you as the rest of the boys form a circle around you, cheering on the opportunity for more entertainment. Puck scowls around at them when he hears most of the cheers are for you.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 07:48 AM
"Erm Puck, We dont have to fight it was a fluke. Hehe come on now" Rod steps backward and around the ring trying to avoid Pucks advances

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Wargor
2010-10-05, 07:54 AM
Pucks face just gets angrier, and the other boys start jeering at you a bit. "What are you, a chicken? Scared of little old Puck are ya? Fight me!" With a snarl, Puck lunges at you, fist raised.

Roll Initiative Pleeeeease.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 07:58 AM
Init
[roll0]

And my first attack roll
[roll1]

and damage
[roll2]

I just failed.. Quickly? :smalleek:

Rods face is stricken with terror, he wants nothing more than to run away but he REALLY wants to teach Puck a lesson.

"Fine, Im no chicken!"

Wargor
2010-10-05, 08:09 AM
You manage to throw the first punch, but your fist flies wide of Puck as he easily sidestep it. Puck's return blow is straight on target though, and pummels into your ribs, momentarily knocking the breath out of you. He grins and circles around you, looking for the next opening.

Take 1point of non-lethal damage please.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 08:17 AM
"Argh! Dammit!" Rod readies himself again and dives at Puck trying to grab him

Touch attack
[roll0]

Grapple check
[roll1]

Wargor
2010-10-05, 08:24 AM
You easily over-power Puck and tackle him to the ground, to the cheers of the crowd and Pucks cries of pain. It's at this point that you hear a cry of alarm and feel yourself being picked up off of Puck by the scruff of your neck. You look up straight into the angry eyes of Barnus the inn keeper, who also happens to be Puck's father. He's a huge man, barrel chested, with huge arms from lifting the heavy beer casks. His bald head gleams in the sun-shine, and his beard bristles angrily at what you were just doing.

"What the hell do you think you're doing? Get off my son this instant boy!"

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 08:32 AM
"Hey he started it!" Rod tries to wiggle free from the huge mans grasp "Cmon lemme go!"

Wargor
2010-10-05, 08:48 AM
Barnus scowls down at you you, his thick eye brows bunched together in a terrifying manner. "A likely story! Don't lie or you'll feel the back of my hand!" He growls, enraged at your attempt to 'lie' to him.

"Actually Barnus, the boys telling the truth." These words are spoken by a stranger to you, though by the way he's dressed he looks like he leads an exciting life. A purple silk shirt, open necked, and black leather breachers, with shiny black scaled boots, and a large wide brimmed hat. He has a sword sheathed at his hip, and carries himself with an easy confidence. His black hair is found into a single braid, and his face is adorned with a dashing goatee. "Your son started the whole thing. And I must say boy," He turns to you at this point, smiling broadly, "that was an excellent shot with your sling." He winks at you as Barnus lets you go, looking embarrassed, and starts chastising his son.

The stranger offers you his hand to shake, and introduces himself. "The names Lazarus, pleased to meet you m'boy."

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 11:08 AM
"Hi, Im Roderick pleased to meet you" Rod shakes the mans hand. "Thanks for that, are you new in town? I haven't seen you before"

Wargor
2010-10-05, 12:08 PM
Lazarus grins broadly, showing a hint of a gold tooth. "I'm just passing through, thought I'd stop to see some old friends while in here. It's been a while." He takes off his hat to smooth the hair on the top of his head down, revealing his slightly pointed ears. With a jolt you realise the man standing before you is a half-elf. "I've known Barnus there since he was a young lad like yourself, and soon I need to go and see Magda Cooper, see how she's getting on. Do you know where she lives now by any chance?" The mention of this man knowing your grandmother shocks you slightly, and he seems to realise as he starts to look concerned. "Is everything ok lad?"

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 12:36 PM
"Yes everything is fine, it just surprises me that you know my grandmother. If you dont mind coming with me to the shop first just here I can take you straight to her if you like?" He then motions towards the direction of the shop.

Wargor
2010-10-05, 12:48 PM
Lazarus' jaw drops open and he stares at you, with utter surprise etched into his features. "Did you say Grandmother?" He seems completely perplexed at this, totally unable to comprehend it. "But...she...well. That's a surprise. How old are you lad? And oh, yes, that would be much appreciated thank-you. Lead the way."

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 01:33 PM
"Im Fourteen" He says leading the way. "So how do you know Grandma anyway?"

Wargor
2010-10-05, 01:38 PM
"Fourteen eh? Ah, a wonderful age." Lazarus follows beside you, obviously slowing his stride to keep in step with you. "And oh, I've known her for years. We had some good time, me and your Gran, and the rest of our companions." He smiles cheerfully, obviously thinking back to better times. "Ah, I think this is the place if memory serves." He gestures for you to lead the way inside.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 02:21 PM
"Wonderful? Hehe must have been a while since youve been fourteen then mister!" Rod walks into the shop looking for Hugh the shopkeep

Wargor
2010-10-05, 04:10 PM
"Indeed it had" Lazarus' smile turns slightly sad at this point, "It's been a long long time."

As you enter the shop, it at first seems empty before, the bell above the door seeming to herald your entrance to no one. The silence of the shop is soon broken as you hear a *CRACK*, followed by a long list of swear words. Hugh the shop keeper rises into view from under his counter, rubbing his head where he had obviously hit it. He wiped his hands down his apron before looking to see who had entered, his enormous moustache quivering as he beams at you.

"Ahhhh, young Roderick! What can I do for you today then?" He asks cheerfully, before seeing your companion and doing a double-take. "Lazarus? Good to see you my friend! I had no idea you were in town." He quickly moves to shake the half-elfs hand, vigorously pumping it up and down.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 04:43 PM
"Hi Hugh, im just here to pick up Grandma's package. So you know Lorenzo too?" Rod is starting to think he is the only person who doesnt

Wargor
2010-10-05, 04:54 PM
"Package? Ahh yes, the package! I've got it here somewhere." He bustles off into a back-room and quickly returns, holding a brown paper wrapped package. "Here it is! Make sure she gets it safely, y'hear?"

At your question Hugh chuckles and smiles at you, giving you a pat on your shoulder. "Lazarus here, yes I know him. Bit before your time though, the last time you were here must have been, what, 15 years ago?" He asks Lazarus directly, who nods his head, looking slightly miffed that you had got his name wrong. "Only us older folk know him particularly well, don't be fooled lad, he might look like a young fop, but his elf blood keeps him looking young despite his years.I wish we all had your gift!" Hugh laughs gently, smiling at Lazarus, who returns the smile widely.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 05:07 PM
"Oh sorry, well thanks Hugh. I can take you to Grandma now if you like Mr. Lazarus"

Ron starts to head off towards Grandma's house.

"So Mr.Lazarus just how old are you?"

Wargor
2010-10-05, 05:17 PM
"Just Lazarus will do, no need to call me Mr. You'll make me feel old." He adds with a wink. His face turns slightly embarrassed for a second, and he looks like he's actually trying to remember. "I truly lost proper count a while ago, but I must be getting close to my late 70's by now. Life's been kind to me." His grin returns at this point, as wide and gleaming as before. "But yes, I think it's time I caught up with your grandmother. Though I doubt she'll be too pleased to see me." He adds this last part with a rather sheepish smile.

The rest of journey is spent mostly in companionable silence, as before long you're making your way up the dirt path leading to your front door. As you reach the door you see Kira sprawled out on the front porch, enjoying the sunshine. Her head shoots up as soon as she catches Lazarus' scent, and she bounds up to him, bowling him over in her excitement before licking him all over his face. With a laugh Lazarus hugs the wolf and scratches her stomach, laughing heartily the whole time.

GodGoblin
2010-10-05, 05:36 PM
"Well if Kira's reaction is anything to go by im sure Grandma wont be too mad with you" Rod laughs as he tries to help Lazarus up before going inside "Grandma im back! and theres someone to see you!"

Wargor
2010-10-05, 05:50 PM
As you enter the house you see your grandmother still bent over the cauldron, muttering to herself and stirring the concoction. "About time you got back boy, it should not have taken nearly so long! Well, where's the pac-" She turns around as she speaks, hand stretched out to take her package but stops mid-sentence when she claps eyes on Lazarus skulking in the doorway. Her face immediately blanks of all emotion, but you can tell she is suddenly furious by how pursed her lips become, and the slight tightening around her eyes.

"Well well well. Lazarus Cain." Her voice is quiet, but holds a deadly ring. "This IS a surprise." She slowly walks towards him until she's standing barely arms length away. With a movement as swift as a striking viper she pulls her hand back and slaps him across the face. Hard. To his credit he barely cries out as his head is snapped viciously to the side, and his hat is knocked to the floor. "Get out of my house."

"Magda, I-" He's cut off with another slap, to the other cheek this time, and obviously decides that listening to her might be a good idea, beating a hasty retreat out of the house, scooping his hat up as he goes. He turns back once, and shouts out, sounding frustrated. "I'll be staying at the Inn if you want to talk." You're not sure whether he is referring to you or her, or possibly both. You're left alone with your fuming Grandmother and a dejected looking Kira.

GodGoblin
2010-10-06, 06:37 AM
"Well that was unexpected.. I dont mean to pry Grandma but what was that about?" Rod says as he puts the package on the side and comforts Kira with a belly rub

Wargor
2010-10-06, 07:32 AM
Your grandmother turns to you, the angry expression still clear on her face. "Well if you don't mean to pry then don't pry!" She storms past you to get to the cauldron, where she laddels a generous armound into a clay jug, before capping it. She turns back and hands it to you after making sure the lib is secure.

"No more qustions, you still have to take this to Farmer Sparrow. Make sure you're quick about it, the poor old man need it." She says, casually refering to a man 5 years her junior as old. "Be sure to see if he needs any other help around his farm. After that you can have the rest of the day to yourself."

GodGoblin
2010-10-06, 09:17 AM
"Erm yes sorry Grandmother.." Rod takes the jug and shuffles out the door towards Sparrow Farm.

On his way he cannot help but think about Lazarus' invitation. Grandma is keeping something from me, but what?

Wargor
2010-10-07, 07:41 AM
The joruney to Sparrow Farm takes about 20 minutes at a normal walking speed. As you reach the farm, you see that with Farmer Sparrows advancing age, the farm has lost some of the grandeur it once had. Where before everything was in perfect repair and all the crops looked in good shape, now you can see evidence of neglect, as some of the buildings are falling into disrepair and some of the crops are looking a bit wilted. The chicken coop in paticular is looking damaged, and you can see what looks like blood marks, and scattered feathers on the ground outside it.

As you draw close, an old hunched figure comes shuffling out of the house. Farmer Sparrow looks much like his property, as if he's unable to care for himself. His clothes are far more ragged than usual, and his grey beard is wild and untrimmed.

"Young Roderick, good to see you lad," Sparrow wheezes, stopping as he is overcome by coughing. "You bought that remedy your gran promised me? Oh thank you so much! I've been rather unwell lately. Life's been hard since my Elsie passed away."

GodGoblin
2010-10-07, 08:37 AM
"Morning Mr. Sparrow! Heres Grandma's remedy for you" Rod offers Mr. Sparrow his arm for support as he walks. "Is there anything else I can help with while im here?"

Wargor
2010-10-07, 12:02 PM
Farmer Sparrow takes your arm gratefully, leaning on you slightly. "Oh thank you m'boy, you're too kind. And now that you mention it there is something I could do with a hand with. Something's been getting at my chickens and I just don't have the energy to either fix the coop or track it down. Could you see if you can do anything?"

GodGoblin
2010-10-08, 04:32 AM
"Of course Mr. Sparrow, lets get you inside and put a brew on then ill grab some tool and have a go at fixing that coop" Rod leads the old man indoors, helps him into his arm chair and gets the kettle boiling

Wargor
2010-10-08, 07:38 AM
"Oh thank you my boy, thank you so much. My tools are out in the nearest shed, help yourself to whatever you need." He sits down heavily, obviously tired from the exertion, and drinks a sip of your grandmothers concoction. "Ahhh, this stuff always makes me feel better. I'll be fine soon I'm sure." You share a pleasant cuppa, but before long Sparrow shows you to the tool shed, and leaves you to get to work.

GodGoblin
2010-10-08, 07:41 AM
Right then, ill need a hammer, nails and some spare planks.. Rod looks around the shed for these things, and noses about for anything interesting he can find

Wargor
2010-10-08, 07:44 AM
After looking around you find some spare bits of wood, as well as a jar of nails and a hammer. You also find a handy looking saw that you can use to cut the wood to length. The shed is full of various tools and things to mend with, you don't think you should have a problem finding anything.

GodGoblin
2010-10-08, 07:47 AM
Right off to work He tucks the hammer and saw in his belt and then carries the wood and nails out the door towards the coop

Wargor
2010-10-08, 07:51 AM
As you inspect the coop, you see that is seems a section round the back has been broken away. The wood is splintered, and looks to have been purposefully broken, and it doesn't look like it was done by an animal.

GodGoblin
2010-10-08, 07:54 AM
Rods face is a picture of disbelief, who would want to do that old farmer Sparrow. Outraged he searches around the area for any marks or clues about who or what would have done it

Search- [roll0]

Wargor
2010-10-08, 07:59 AM
After searching around the coop you draw a blank on any evidence, finding nothing to suggest anyone was there, apart from the big hole in the back. What you do find slightly odd though is the fact that the chicken featheres were scattered around so much, as any person would have tried to keep such an obvious struggle to a minimum. Plus, no person should have had to struggle that much to catch a sleeping chicken anyway!

GodGoblin
2010-10-08, 08:04 AM
"A chicken thief!" Rod ponders the clues while taking off the old planks and replacing them with the new ones before heading off back to see Sparrow once its done

Wargor
2010-10-09, 12:24 PM
You're able to fix the planks over the hole pretty securely, making sure they won't come away easily. As you head back inside you find Farmer Sparrow sat at his table, nursing a cup of tea. He looks up as you come inside. "Ah, done already lad? That was fast! Do you have any idea what might have been taking them? I thought it might be a fox."

GodGoblin
2010-10-11, 05:38 AM
"Yes Sparrow, all done but I dont think it was a fox. I think someone has broken in and taken the chickens"

Rod has another rummage around the area and shows Sparrow the Planks he removed.

Search [roll0] :smallbiggrin: That is what you GET!

Wargor
2010-10-11, 07:32 AM
Sparrow is obviously distressed at this news and follows you as fast as he can. He leans down to inspect your work, and he looks pleased. "You did a good job lad, well done."

As you look for more evidence, something on one of the old planks catches your eye. Caught in a splintered edge is what looks like some kind of hair. It's long and stringy, and doesn't look like it came from any human head.

GodGoblin
2010-10-11, 07:40 AM
"Erm.. Actually mabye it wasnt a someone, look at that! Mabye Grandma would know what its from?

Wargor
2010-10-11, 07:46 AM
Sparrow looks at the hair, obviously confused as to its origin. "That's a great idea lad, you hurry and ask her. I'll be alright on me own.

GodGoblin
2010-10-11, 07:51 AM
"Ok Mister Sparrow ill try to get to the bottom of this!" With that Rod runs home to Grandma clutching the plank and hair strand.

"Grandma! Grandma! Something has been taking Sparrows chickens I dont think it was human" He says this while waving the hair at her

Wargor
2010-10-11, 07:57 AM
Your grandmother frowns at you, getting up from where she was reading a black leather bound book. "What's that? A thief eh? Let me see." She takes the hair from you and examines it, her lips persing. "Looks like goblin hair to me, dirty little blighters. If one's been stealing chickens they must be getting bolder. Go and tell the mayor, at this time of day he should be in the inn, the drunkard."

GodGoblin
2010-10-11, 08:00 AM
"A G.. Go.. GOBLIN!? Erm Right I better be off to the Inn then" Rod says sheepishly with colour quickly draining from his face as he backs out of the door and runs towards the Inn. When inside he scans the room for the mayor, also looking on the floor where he is often known to lie

Wargor
2010-10-11, 12:38 PM
You hit the inn door at a run, almost tripping over as you burst through. Scanning around the room, you see Mayor McDuff slumped at a table, a beer stein in hand, surrounded by his mates, Carpenter the Butcher, and Taylor the Hunter.

GodGoblin
2010-10-11, 01:01 PM
"Mayor! Mayor McDuff! I have some news for you.." Rod stops to catch his breath after all the running. "Goblins.. Attacked Sparrow farm.. Took..Chickens" He manages to wheeze out between breaths

Wargor
2010-10-11, 01:10 PM
You peak just as the mayor is taking a big gulp of scrumpy, drunk form a wooden stein of course, a metal one likely to dissolve on contact with the potent brew. The mention of goblins comes at just the wrong moment, as the mayor spits his mouthful all over Taylor the Hunter. "What? Goblins? At Sparrows farm? Dirty little buggers!" He puffs up angrily, his face a ruddy read and his enormous moustache quivering, before swaying from the drink. "We must get a hunting party together! Come on boys, lets go! You too Rod!" He stumbles to his feet and sways out of the door.

GodGoblin
2010-10-11, 02:01 PM
"ME!? But im no hunter!" Rod blurts out shocked and continues his babbling as he follows the men out of the tavern

Wargor
2010-10-11, 02:06 PM
Taylor the Hunter slaps you on the back and drags you along, "It'll be good for ya lad. A real fun experience." Your taken along to the town square, where the mayor drums up some support for your little hunt. A few more men join you the group. The mayor turns to you and grins in a slightly bloodthirsty manner. "Go get your things and be back quickly, we have goblins to hunt!"

GodGoblin
2010-10-11, 02:25 PM
Rod nods and runs back home to collect his equipment "Grandma! Ive been roped into hunting goblins, help me!" he says as he grabs all of his outdoors gear

Wargor
2010-10-13, 12:39 PM
Your grandmother, once again reading the leather bound book, looks at you with her eyebrows raised. "Going for a Goblin hunt are you? Good, maybe you'll stop whining so much and grow up a bit." Turning back to her book she starts to read before making one last passing comment. "Make sure to be safe."

GodGoblin
2010-10-13, 02:05 PM
"Erm.. Thanks Grandma?" Rod now obviously sweating from fear goes out to meet the rest of the hunting party.

"Ok im ready, what now?"

Wargor
2010-10-18, 07:45 AM
"Ah there you are there lad." The mayor grabs your shoulder and pulls you into the circle of armed men gathered round him. "Here's the one we have to thank for this hunt! Well done for discoerving it." He smiles down at you happily, still slightly drunk.

Taylor the Hunter steps forward and claps you on the other shoulder. "Why don't you show us the where you found the goblin trail then." The other men make noises of approval and prepare to set off, ready for you to show them the way.

GodGoblin
2010-10-18, 08:01 AM
"Right, ok its this way!" Rod says trying to fake bravery. as he sets off at a jog towards Sparrow farm and shows the men the remains of the coop.

Wargor
2010-10-21, 02:35 PM
The hunting party reach the farm in good time, egging each other on and filling the calm forest with their raucous laughter. Farmer Sparrow comes out of his house, looking mystified as to what's going on. "Hello there lads, er, what can I do you for?"

GodGoblin
2010-10-21, 03:00 PM
"Were tracking goblins that are attacking the chickens!" Rod shouts over to old man Sparrow. "Right, erm what now?" he asks the mayor

Wargor
2010-10-21, 03:41 PM
Sparrow seems shocked at the prospect of goblins, he quickly hurries back into his house and locks his door. The others crowd around the coop as you show them where the hair was found. Taylor the Hunter has a look around, before making a noise of triumph. "Look here, foot prints! Leading off this way!" The group quickly follow along behind as he rushes along, following the tracks and signs of someone passing through. Before long he stops, looking puzzled."The tracks split two ways here, looks like we're splitting up."

The mayor quickly steps forward, separating you into two groups of four. Taylor, the Mayor and two others in one, Carpenter the Butcher, you, and two others in another. You quickly set off down the second path, Carpenter taking the lead.

GodGoblin
2010-10-21, 04:14 PM
Rod suddenly felt very vulnerable, before he was with a large group of large men but now that group had halved in size and the chance of Rod being killed has doubled. "So whats the plan once we find something?" He asks carpenter while barely scraping together enough conversation to fill the silence

Wargor
2010-10-21, 04:34 PM
Carpenter, not the brightest of blokes, scrunches his face up as he tries to think. "Er, well, we kill em, isn't that right lads?" The others raise a ragged cheer at this, waving their weapons in the air.

As you carry on through the woods you start going downhill, until you reach a small river running through the bottom of the valley. The river bank is muddy and you can see small, strangely shaped humanoid footprints leading down river.

GodGoblin
2010-10-22, 11:28 AM
"Oh I see.." Rod trails off as he makes his way down to the river

Wargor
2010-10-24, 04:32 AM
You follow the muddy footprints down river, getting muddier and muddier, and the river wider and wider, until you reach a barrier of bushes. Pushing your way through you find that the river here feeds into a small lake, surrounded on all other sides by high rocky cliffs. The lake water is crystal clear, and with its surroundings makes for a truly beautiful site. As you look across the lake, you see what looks like a fissure in the rock wall at ground leve; the entrance to a cave perhaps?

GodGoblin
2010-10-24, 08:21 AM
"Look a cave, its probably the entrance to its lair or something" he then heads towards the cave making sure too to get ahead of the group however

Wargor
2010-10-25, 07:36 AM
As you make your way around the lake, you see that the footprints do indeed take the same path, disapearing into the cave entrance. With the sun currently behind the cliff wall, the cave itself is thrown into complete darkness; you can't see anything inside. The men with you start to glance at each other, obviously nervouse. One man, John, grabs Carpenters arm. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Who knows how many Goblins could be in there?"

Carpenter scowls at him, pulling his arm free from John's grip. "Shut up you chicken, we didn't come all this way just to turn back now!" He turns to look at you, a slightly nervous grin stretching across his face. "You found out about the goblin, so it's only fair you get the honours of going first, eh?"

GodGoblin
2010-10-25, 07:41 AM
"WHAT!? This must be a joke, I couldnt.. I cant.. I.. " Looking at the other mens faces he could tell he wasnt getting anywhere. "Fine. But you better be close behind" Rod now shaking like a displacer beast on heat holds his loaded sling in one hand and his cane in the other and procedes into the mouth of the cave.

Wargor
2010-10-25, 07:50 AM
You step inside the cave, the others a step behind you, fumbling about in the pitch blackness. You can feel that to begin with, the walls are close enough for you to brush your elbows against on either side. All of a sudden the walls fall away from you, and you are left standing in the darkness, feeling it pressing down upon you. Johns voice pipes up from behind you, quavering with slight fear. "Oh god, did anyone think to bring a torch?"

GodGoblin
2010-10-25, 07:54 AM
"I grabbed my pack before leaving, let me check" Rod fumbles through his bag in the darkness feeling around wondering what he actually left on there after last time.

GodGoblin
2010-10-25, 09:50 AM
"Hmm turns out this bag is actually empty So what now? should we carry on anyway?"

Wargor
2010-10-25, 05:12 PM
There is a sudden flare of light as Carpenter lights a torch. Holding it aloft, the cave is fully illuminated, and you see that it is actually not as big a space as you might have thought. The whole thing is bare, unworked stone, and is rough and uneven. In each of the corners of the opposite wall is a passageway that obviously leads deeper into the cave network.

GodGoblin
2010-10-26, 04:31 PM
"Ah much better, now we can see what going to eat us.." Rod tries to laugh but it comes out as a pathetic whimper.
"So how about we try the right one?" He says ashe makes his way towards it

Wargor
2010-11-03, 03:42 PM
As you go through the right hand entrance, the walls once again close in as the tunnel narrows. You get the sense of the tunnel curving round as it slopes down, turning in the direction of the lake. You start to feel drips of water from the ceiling, getting more and more frequent the further you go, until you are forced to stop. The tunnel in front of you slopes down steeper, but is filled with water, making carrying on impossible.

GodGoblin
2010-11-04, 08:42 AM
"What are we supposed to do now? Did the goblin go down.. there?" Rod says as he fears that they might make him swim down there.

Wargor
2010-11-05, 08:34 AM
You hear a visible gulp from behind you at your words, and John steps past you to peer into the water, a look of fear on his face. "I bloodly well hope not, I can't swim!"

Carpenter makes a noise of annoyance at this and holds the torch over the water, peering into the depths. "Looks like we better try that other tunnel entrance then."

GodGoblin
2010-11-05, 09:30 AM
"Oh yes, good point I almost forgot about the other tunnels. Lets try the next one along then" Rod then leaves back the way he came and tries the tunnel that was in the left corner

Wargor
2010-11-05, 04:30 PM
You backtrack through the tunnel, back to the first room. Going through the second tunnel entrance, the walls once again close around you in a tunnel that leads straight into the cliff. The tunnel ends starts to widen gradually, eventually opening up into a roughly circular room. The walls are littered with small fissures and cracks, and as you enter you start to hear a squeaking sounds from them.

Roll initiative.

GodGoblin
2010-11-05, 04:49 PM
Rod almost freezes on the spot as he hears the squeaking staggering back slightly he readies his sling. "Err what do we do now!?"

Wargor
2010-11-05, 05:07 PM
Carpenter steps up nest to you and draws a slightly battered looking short sword. "We stand our ground!"

The squeaking increases in volume, and from the cracks three giant rats scurry out. Each one the size of a small dog, they bare their teeth at you, making strange hissing noises, their small red eyes glinting with bestial malice. They advance towards your group slowly, gnashing their teeth.

GodGoblin
2010-11-05, 05:34 PM
They are just big rats, I shoot at rat sall the time. If anything these should be easier to hit Rod trys to encourage himself before loosing a bullet at one of the creatures and cringing at the thought of provoking it even more

Hit[roll0]
Dmg [roll1]

Wargor
2010-11-06, 03:40 PM
The bullet hits the first rat rat straight on the head, causing it to let out a squeak of pain. It stumbles to the side, obviously disorientated. The other two rush at you, their teeth flashing in the torchlight. One rat bites at yours leg, its teeth sinking deep into the flesh of your calf. The other rat lashes out at Carpenter, biting down on his sword arm, causing himself to shriek out in pain.

Take 1 point of damage and do a Fort save please.

GodGoblin
2010-11-06, 04:25 PM
Rod yelps in pain, it was a pitiful feminine sound without words like a fox in mating season. Rod then tries bat the vile creature from his leg using his staff.

Fort [roll0]
To hit [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]

HUZZAH! a critcal!

After he swings he imediatly tries to retreat from the creature.

GodGoblin
2010-11-06, 04:32 PM
Extra damage[roll0]

Wargor
2010-11-06, 05:28 PM
The rats skull is split open as your staff cracks it on the head, spilling blood and brain matter all over your leg, mingling with your wound. Its jaw relaxes as it goes limp and released your leg.

Carpenter, shakes his arm wildly to try and dislodge the rat, whilst John and Hector stab at it with their knives. It falls dead from his arm, covered in wounds.

The final rat, recovered from it's disorientation, lets out a horrifying snarling squeak before charging straight for you, teeth bared. It leaps at you, hitting you in the chest and bites down on your shoulder, hard.

Take 1 point of damage, and another Fort save pleeeease.

GodGoblin
2010-11-07, 06:36 AM
"ARH Get it off!"
Rod says while again flailing his staff at the rat.
To hit [roll0]
Dmg[roll1]
Fort [roll2]

Wargor
2010-11-09, 03:41 PM
Your wild flailing fails to connect with enough force to harm the rat, but you are able to dislodge its bite. It falls to the floor and rolls over, teeth bared, ready to bite again. Just as it goes to lunge at you, the figure of Carpenter rushes past, impaling the rat on his sword. As he pulls the blade out he turns to you, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "Good job lad, not the worst thing I've ever seen. You alright?"

GodGoblin
2010-11-12, 04:27 AM
"Not really, I dont think I could take that sort of pumishment again. If we can just stop the blood I should be ok to continue as long as I stay behind you when the fighting starts. Im better with my sling anyway" Rod says to Carpenter as he shows him where he was bitten

Oh are we using the house rule that using 2 hands on a weapon when you have a -1 str brings it to a +0? Just remembered about that lol

Wargor
2010-11-12, 01:49 PM
Carpenter nods, coming over to check your wounds. "Aye lad, you did well, keep back now, eh?"

Surveying the scene, the dead rats lie slumped over the floor, and as the adrenaline fades their stink hits you, causing a momentary dizziness. They're covered in filth, their fur matted with blood and other less savoury substances. Looking around the room you entered, you see that a passage continues onwards through the west wall of the cave, leading further into darkness.

Oh and yeah, it sound reasonable enough. New house-rule! If you have a strength minus, holding it in two hands halves it!.

GodGoblin
2010-11-18, 06:37 AM
"Yeah probably for the best" He says meekly as the diziness takes a hold, he reloads his sling and walks down the hallway behind the others to escape the smell.

Wargor
2010-11-22, 03:07 PM
You follow the others down the new passage, which twists and turns, following the weaker rock. The passage ends abruptly, widening into a cave filled with dips in the ground. You stop dead as you hear a sound, like a rock skittering across the floor that seems to be coming from one of the dips in the ground ahead of you.

GodGoblin
2010-11-22, 03:29 PM
"Did you hear that? There's movement out there so be careful " Rod says as he urges the others forward, sling loaded and following closely behind

Wargor
2010-11-22, 05:44 PM
Your friends advance cautiously, keeping their eyes peeled and darting around as they weave their way past the craters that litter the room. From the corner of your eye you see a slight movement, and you realise with shock you are looking into the eyes of a Goblin.

The creature is nestled in the bottom of a crater, covered by some sort of dirty ragged cloth, the same colour of the surrounding rock, obviously some form of camouflage. Knowing itself to be caught, the creature throws off the blanket, covering something behind itself. Seeing it fully, you see if is female, dressed in ragged leathers. Its begins gibbering at you in its own language, it's eyes fully of a mixture of fear and anger, as it draws a small blade from its belt.

GodGoblin
2010-11-22, 06:55 PM
Rod backs away slowly trying to see what the Goblin is hiding behind her back
[roll0]

"So this is a goblin then.. And we came here to kill it?"
Seeing the goblin in the flesh made Rod realise that yes they were different and scary but they weren't monsters like he had been told, it was a person, a small green person and it did not deserve to die.

"We are not going to kill her" Rod says to the others surprisingly sternly for a wimp such as Rod. But he knew he was right and without that usual sense of self doubt he finally felt like sticking up for himself.

Wargor
2010-11-24, 05:48 PM
Trying to see past the goblin to what's beneath the blanket proves to be impossible, whatever is under there is too obscured to tell.

At your words Carpenter turns to you in shock, taking his eyes of the goblin to stare at you. "What do you mean not kill it? Look at that thing, it's a menace! A dirty little menace! Give me one good reason why we shouldn't?" The other two make noises of agreement, and they slowly begin to creep towards the creature, weapon held high.

GodGoblin
2010-11-25, 08:22 AM
"I said no!" Rod exclaims as he puts himself between the goblin and the other men. "I wont let you kill it, it doesnt deserve this" He says as he stands in font of the men, staff gripped tighty in both hands.

Wargor
2010-11-25, 08:52 AM
They start to mutter between themselves, angry looks upon their face. Carpenter in particular looks enraged, his face turning almost purple. "Why are you doing this boy? That thing would do the same to us! Kill us in our beds if it could!" He takes a step forward and points his sword straight at you. "Now. Stand. Aside."

GodGoblin
2010-11-25, 09:01 AM
"Do you see it trying to kill us!? No! we have come into her home and tried to kill her. You are the only monsters I can see!"

While talking Rod tries to signal for the goblin to run by waving his hand behind is back
Im pretty sure its bluff to do that kinda thing- [roll0]

Wargor
2010-11-26, 05:03 PM
"But is a monster, a thief! Why are you doing this lad!" Carpernter seems completely and utterly bewildered, his anger given way to confusion, his face an expression of total disbelief.

The Goblin suddenly bursts into action, turning round and gathering whatever is inside the blanket into her little arms, picking it up and hobbling off towards the cave entrance. Looking back over its shoulder it makes a sound you think might be one of thanks, its eyes full of gratitude. The men cry out in anger, and move to follow, but you stand in their way, and something about the look in your eye makes them pause.

GodGoblin
2010-11-26, 05:29 PM
"Right now that poor creature is safe we are going back to the village, this murderous excursion is over." Says rod staring daggers at the two men before turning on heel and heading out of the cave.

Wargor
2010-11-28, 05:58 PM
"Damnnit boy, this isn't over! Wait until the mayor hears about this!" Carpenter and the other storm after you, obviously angry. You make your way out of the cave safely, and the journey back to town takes a while, as its all uphill travel. It starts to rain part way through your journey, and by the time you reach the village you are all soaked through and covered in mud. You make your way over to the Inn, as it's the most likely place to find the mayor, and step inside.

The warmth hits you straight away, ridding you of some of the chill. The mayor sits at a table, nursing a mug of hot brandy. He is covered in small scratches all over his face and arms, and seems disgruntled. At your entrance he looks up, and grins. "Ahhh boys, any luck?"

Carpenter pushes you forwards and glares at you. "Why dont you tell him boy!"

GodGoblin
2010-11-28, 06:48 PM
Glad to be in the warm a smile almost creeps on Rods face but then he remembers why hes here. "Uh.. I stopped them killing the goblin. Its not evil its just a little green person, you can go around killing things like that! Mayor im begging you to stop the hunt!" Rod pleads to the mayor hoping he is at least the slightest bit forgiving and kind in his drunken state.

OOC
Diplomacy-[roll0]

Wargor
2010-11-28, 06:55 PM
"Wha? Huh? What?! You let it go? Little green person my arse! Useless boy! It'll probably be back to kill us with its filthy friends!" The mayor is enraged, and spills his drink everywhere when he pounds the table. "Get out of here before I hide you boy!"

GodGoblin
2010-11-28, 07:11 PM
Rod slightly shaken by the mayors response runs up to the second floor of the tavern and knocks on one of the doors "Lorenzo! Lorenzo! I need your help,I think you will the only one who will understand!"

Wargor
2010-11-30, 05:02 PM
You hear the sound of scrabbling coming from inside the room, before the door is thrown open, revealing Lorenzo standing in the doorway, clad only in a pair of leather trousers. His bare chest is covered in scars, some looking to be from knife and sword wounds, while others look to be more deliberate, almost like ritualistic scarring, forming strange patterns. He seems flushed and slightly out of breath, and you see that he is leaning on his naked longsword.

Lorenzo's face turns to puzzlement upon seeing you. "Oh, its you lad. Whatever is the matter? Why all the commotion?"

GodGoblin
2010-11-30, 05:18 PM
"Errm.." Rod pauses out of sheer bafflement before gathering his wits "I could really do with some help, I stopped the town killing a goblin and im scared of what might happen to me. But if this is a bad time I can just go..." he trails off out of awkwardness

Wargor
2010-11-30, 06:05 PM
"No no, come in!" He steps back and gestures for you to enter. He casually walks back over to his bed, resting his sword against his small table as he does so. Slipping a silk shirt on but leaving it undone he turns back to you, face curious. "Now what was that about a Goblin? You stopped them from killing it? Why?" He seems genuinely puzzled at this point. "It's only vermin after all!" He lets out a chuckle, grinning at you.

GodGoblin
2010-11-30, 06:33 PM
"What? No! I thought you of all people would realise that they are more than just animals, how can you be so well travelled and not realise this?" Rods heart sinks as he loses all hope of finding someone who understands

Wargor
2010-11-30, 06:47 PM
Lorenzo seems startled. "Oh no, I never said they were animals. I said they were vermin, just like any other weak creature. The only beings worth recognising as people are those who strive to better themselves, those who strive to become more than they are!" Lorenzo's eyes gain a passionate glint, and you can tell he feels strongly about this. "A lesson I learnt early in life, and that has served me well. There is no good, no evil, no righteous, no wicked, there is only power, and those too weak or stupid to gain it. Remember that well boy." Lorenzo smiles gently, trying to diffuse the suddenly rather tense atmosphere.

GodGoblin
2010-11-30, 06:50 PM
"So what of these people? The villigers who work there lives away happily with no fuss. DO they deserve to die? Are they vermin?" Rod suddenly finds himself very angry with Lorenzo's power hungry opinions

Wargor
2010-11-30, 07:02 PM
Lorenzo's mouth drops open, his face a picture of shock. "Die? No of course not! They just aren't really worth a lot of notice. Not like you. You've got potential! I can see it in you boy, you just have to unlock it!" He stands suddenly and starts pacing, hands fiddling with the edges of his shirt. "I'll accept any being that can prove their worth. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin, whatever they are. But if they have no worth, then they are vermin. Not to be ridiculed, or murdered simply because, but to be pitied."

GodGoblin
2010-11-30, 07:08 PM
"I have potential? For what?" Rods face lights up as he thinks he might be special, but then his features snap back to a scowl "But regardless of that the goblin doesnt deserve to die any more than me or you, and if you will not help me then I am wasting my time here"

Wargor
2010-11-30, 07:18 PM
"For greatness my boy! I can tell these things you know. You could be great, if you tried." He moves over to stand in front of you, looking down into your eyes. "It's all there, I can see it. You will do great things." He puts his hands on your shoulders and squeezes. "And because I like you boy, I'll help you. What do you need?"

GodGoblin
2010-11-30, 07:27 PM
Rod stares up at Lorenzo in amazement "Um well, I need to go see that goblin!" Rod says starting to think of a way to save it. "The mayor is set on killing it, I cannot change his mind so I need to make sure it will be safe"

Wargor
2010-12-03, 04:10 PM
"How can I help you do that? If you want to try and find it then go, you don't need me for that. Unless the mayor is having you watched..." Lazarus trails off, stroking his chin in thought. "I suppose I could always cause a distraction, it might let slip off unnoticed. For a price of course." He grins now, his white teeth gleaming as the fire-light reflects off them.

GodGoblin
2010-12-03, 04:27 PM
"Perfect! But what price? I have 9 silver is that enough? And I need to see Grandma before I go anywhere else" Rod stands there waiting for Lazerus' response.

Wargor
2010-12-05, 04:10 PM
Lazarus laughs lightly, stepping away from you and casually picking up his sword from where he left it, along with another from a rack on the wall. "Oh no, that's not the kind of price I meant at all. The price is simple. I wish to teach you certain things that I believe will help you, and if you agree we will begin immediately..." He throws the sword to you, and though you manage to get a hand on it, you fumble the catch, dropping the sword to the floor. "...with lesson one, sword fighting. Now pick that up."

GodGoblin
2010-12-05, 04:45 PM
Rod picks up the sword and is surprised at the weight in his hands "Sword fighting? Are you serious? I dont even know the first thing about it"

Wargor
2010-12-05, 04:56 PM
"That's why I'm teaching you! Now, hold it properly, like this..." Lazarus spends the next hour taking you through basic sword drills, ending with a mock duel when he thinks you have the basics down. By the end of the session you are exhausted, covered in sweat, your sword arm aching to hight heaven.

Lazarus stretches his arms out, setting his sword down and picking up a jug of water, taking a long pull before passing it to you. "Not bad for a beginner, I think a I'll be able to make a swordsmen out of you. I want you to come here everyday for practice, understood? Now, off home with you, get some rest, you've earned it." He rustles up your hair and pushes you out the door, taking the sword from your hand as he does so.

GodGoblin
2010-12-05, 07:13 PM
"Thank you Lazarus but what about the goblin? By the time im done training the mayor will have killed her" The light that the training put in Rods eyes now faded as he again realised that it was hopeless

Wargor
2010-12-06, 08:21 AM
"Just you leave the mayor to me. Now off with you, sleep!" Lazarus gives you one last push out the door and closes it in your face.

GodGoblin
2010-12-06, 08:39 AM
"Huh, things went better than expected!" Rod grins as he strolls out of the tavern avoiding any contact with the men in there and returns back home.

"Grandma! Im back!"

Wargor
2010-12-06, 02:01 PM
The cottage is quiet, the only sounds being Kira's snuffling as she lies dreaming in front of the fire, her legs lazily kicking, probably dreaming about chasing rabbits. Your grandmother is sitting in her chair, positioned near enough to the fire to give her enough light to read by. Her eyes are closed, and she sits with her hands in her lap, clutching the leather bound book she received today. At your words her eyes snap open and turn to look at you. Her expression immediately turns stern.

"So you are boy. What kind of time do you call this? It is far too late for you to be out." She stands, stretching her back and placing the book down on the small table beside the chair. "Have you eaten? No, of course you haven't you forgetful boy." At this point your stomach rumbles loudly and you realise how hungry you are. "There is some leftover stew in that pot over there, eat it quickly then go to bed. I shall see you in the morning." She walks over to the door that leads to her bedroom before pausing and looking back at you, her face softening till she almost seems like another woman. "I heard what happened today, and what you did. I'm very proud of you." With these parting words she slips into her room and shuts the door.

GodGoblin
2010-12-06, 03:05 PM
"Huh" Rod is a little bemused at the days events but shrugs his shoulders and decides its time for bed

Wargor
2010-12-10, 04:02 PM
The next two week passes like a tiring blur. In the day you do chores for your grandmother, but by night you sneak away to train with Lazarus. Your sword skills improve drastically as you carry on practising, you pick it up surprisingly quickly. Lazarus seems very pleased by your progress, and after he deems you good enough, gifts you his spare sword.

At the end of the second week you find yourself once again in Lazarus' room, wiping yourself down after your first practice session with your new sword. Lazarus collapses onto his bed, his body covered in glistening sweat. He pats the bed next to him to indicated you should sit down. "Come here boy, I think it's time we talked about your little green friend."

GodGoblin
2010-12-13, 04:34 PM
Rod sits down on Lazurus' bed taking a swig from a jug if there is one nearby. "So whats happening? And just how did youstop the mayor from going back out?"

Wargor
2010-12-15, 02:08 PM
You grab the nearest jug and swig a mouthful, only realising as you swallow that it is actually wine, and not water, and you start coughing in surprise. Lazarus laughs, taking the wine jug from your hands and taking his own large gulp. "I merely told the mayor that I'd find the goblin for him. The man was so grateful he told the others to call of their own searches. So I've been spending my time going for some long walks." He grins mischievously, clapping you on the shoulder. "Next time I'll take you with me, and we can find your little friend."

GodGoblin
2010-12-18, 10:59 AM
"Well it seemed to work, when are you next heading out?" Rod stands up after regaining some energy and puts his cloak back on "Ill head back home and gather some things for the trip"

Wargor
2010-12-18, 11:15 AM
"We wont be going till the morning, so there's plenty of time for you to do that. Sit down, have a drink with me." Lazarus picks up the jug and a wooden goblet, pouring a generous amount out before holding it out for you. He flashes you a wicked grin as he takes a sip directly from the clay jug. "Surely you must have some questions for me by now?"

GodGoblin
2010-12-20, 08:49 AM
"Questions? Well I suppose so.." Rod sits on the bed again and ponders this for a short while taking another pull of the wine, getting more used to the taste. "So whats next? Sword fighting is one thing but this greatness you keep mentioning surley is more than sword skills? And come to think of it just what happened to make Grandma dislike you so much?"

Wargor
2011-01-01, 02:12 PM
"More than sword skills? Oh yes, definitely. There are many things I can teach you, but more of that later. You'll find out soon enough." Lazarus takes another mouthful of wine, savouring the flavour on his tongue, before his face turns more brooding.

"The tale of my falling out with your grandmother is a complicated one, it has to do with a certain mistake I made, thirty years ago. A mistake your grandmother has never let me forget." He closes his eyes and rubs them, his age suddenly seeming to show, despite his youthful appearance. "But enough of that, such memories depress me too much." He attempts to smile, but it looks distinctly fake.

GodGoblin
2011-01-03, 01:52 PM
"Oh I see, Well perhaps another time then, but for now I will be heading home and meet you in the morning for our journey" Rod wraps his sword in his cloak tucks it underarm and et off back to Grandmas.

Once home Rod tries to pack away some bread and fruit and anything else he can find that wont be missed and packs it away. He tucks the pack and his sword under his bed before spending the rest of the night in the usual fashion.

Wargor
2011-01-12, 07:03 AM
You awake early in the morning, excited for the day ahead. You were able to stash away some bread, fruit and cheese easily enough, along with a waterskin full of water. As you step out of your room you notice the cottage much more quiet than usual, and a quick look around shows you it is empty of both your grandmother and Kira. As you pass the dining table you notice something odd. A piece of parchment sits on the table, folded over, held down by a pretty stone. Your name is written on the outside in your grandmothers scratchy script.

GodGoblin
2011-01-12, 07:07 AM
What on terra.. Rod picks up the stone and examines it before opening the letter

Wargor
2011-01-12, 07:19 AM
The stone is small but heay, and a beautiful shade of black. It's smooth surface is cold to the touch and completely unmarred. Opening the letter, you begin to read...

Rod

I've been called away on an urgant errand. Make sure you look after the cottage, be safe, and stay away from Lazarus.

Grandmother

GodGoblin
2011-01-12, 07:33 AM
Oh.. Well at least she wont find me sneaking out Rod puts the stone in his pack and looks for a quill and ink and writes his own note on the back of his Grandmothers. Just in case

Grandmother, I am leaving to find and and protect the goblin, letting you know in case you get back before I do. Dont worry I will be safe. And lock the cottage.

Rod

Rod then heft his pack onto his shoulder, grabs his sword and heads to the tavern to see Lazurus

Wargor
2011-01-13, 01:06 PM
You quickly make your way down the trail and reach the village with no problem. There are hardly any people about at this time of day, but even so there is a plume of smoke coming out of the Inn's chimney. As you rush inside you spot Lazarus sat at a table, eating a large breakfast. Another plate sits opposite him. He glances up and see you, before waving you over to the seat.

GodGoblin
2011-01-13, 01:50 PM
"Good morning Lazurus!" Rod sits opposite eyeing the food.

Wargor
2011-01-13, 02:06 PM
"Morning lad! Dig in why don't you." Lazarus eat delicately, unlike most of the brutes around the village. "I thought it prudent to have a hearty breakfast before we set out, we'll be gone most of the day if not longer."

GodGoblin
2011-01-13, 02:34 PM
Rod digs into the breakfast trying to take notice of Lazurus' etiquette "So whats the plan?"

Wargor
2011-01-14, 09:30 AM
"Well I was thinking we would head further up into the mountains, I've got a hunch that might be where we'll find your little friend. I found some likely tracks yesterday that might yield us some results." He eats whilst talking, halting to chew and swallow, but is soon finished. He stands up, shouldering the pack resting against his chair, revealing himself to be dressed in hardy looking leathers rather than his usual flamboyant attire. "Ready lad?"

GodGoblin
2011-01-14, 09:37 AM
Rod gives up on his polite eating and shovels the remainder into his mouth before chewing and swallowing in one big gulp "Yeah ready, so how long should this take us?" he says while buckling his sword to his belt and shouldering his pack and following Lazurus

Wargor
2011-01-15, 02:27 PM
"Oh, I'm not too sure, most of the day at least, maybe a bit longer." Lazarus walks to the door and holds it open, before beckoning you to follow him. "Anything else you want to get before we leave? The store might have any supplies you're lacking."

GodGoblin
2011-01-16, 05:39 PM
Rod walks through the door and turns to Lazarus "Well if this is anything like the last time I went out adventuring we will need torches or a lantern, what else would you use for this sort of thing?"

Wargor
2011-01-20, 11:37 AM
Lazarus ponders, hand on chin. "Well, what do you have? Rope is always handy, as is a knife to cut things, and maybe a small axe for chopping wood. Anything potentially useful really! Cooking things?"

GodGoblin
2011-01-20, 12:08 PM
"Well I brought some food and I have a knife. Should we go the store then? But im affraid I dont have much money. Oh I do have this though!" He shows Lazerus the black stone Grandma left. "Do you know what it is?"

Wargor
2011-01-24, 05:30 PM
"What an exellent idea, do lead on lad." He causally drapes an arm over your shoulder, pulling you close, and leans down the examine the black stone. An uncomfortable look crosses his face as he peers at it, his face paling slightly. "Ah, that. I thought your grandmother would keep that somewhere safer. Where did you find it?"

GodGoblin
2011-01-24, 05:35 PM
Rod leads onwards to the shop to buy anything he may need "She left it for me, what is it? It must be important"

Wargor
2011-01-24, 06:17 PM
Lazarus stops outside the store, staring at the little black stone. "Just left it out for you? Either she's grown forgetful in the advanced years, or she really does hate me. I suspect the latter. That, my boy, is a soul stone. My soul stone to be precise."

GodGoblin
2011-01-24, 06:24 PM
"Oh.. Well she must have done it for a reason, is this why you look so young?" Rod enters the shop and grabs supplies with Lazurus' guidance.

Wargor
2011-01-24, 06:46 PM
"One of the reasons yes. Just..make sure you look after it. I'd hate it to be damaged!" Lazarus enters the shop with you, and pokes around, eventually buying you a 50ft length or rope and a hand axe, just in case. He also buys you an extra waterskin, as you can never be too careful.

GodGoblin
2011-01-24, 06:53 PM
"Dont worry I will!" he says as he follows Lazurus out of the shop "Ready to set off then?"

Wargor
2011-01-28, 05:00 PM
"Yes, I think we are, come along, I hope you can keep up!" Lazarus sets off at a fast walk, taking you out of the village along a fairly wide dirt path, leading away to the north east. He soon leaves the path though, heading into the woods, forging directly north into the woodland that grows increasingly thick.

GodGoblin
2011-01-29, 01:03 PM
Rod follows Lazarus and trys to keep up with his pace, occasionally snacking on the way

Done enough convo for now, quite happy to move the story on a bit

Wargor
2011-01-29, 01:36 PM
Lazarus sets a fairly punishing pace, and for the first time, you see the truly serious side of the man. He moves swiftly through the terrain, sure footed as a deer, whilst you blunder along behind him. You also notice a new addition in the form of a beautifully crafted longbow, ready and strung on his back.

After about an hour and a half Lazarus suddenly freezes. He motions you to stop in a small glade, where he kneels down to examine something on the forest floor. When he looks back up at you his face looks grim, and he gestures for you to come closer. "Look here. What do you make of this?" As you lean closer you see something buried in the earth, a broken shaft of wood, with a piece of wickedly shaped metal on the end.

GodGoblin
2011-01-30, 07:50 AM
Coming to a stop and leaning against a tree to help catch his breath rod then leans down "An arrow? Or a tool of some sort?" He goes to pick it up to examine it further, looking to Lazurus as he does so for permission.

Wargor
2011-01-30, 12:03 PM
Lazarus nod approvingly. "Go ahead, you can touch it. Yes it is indeed an arrow. To be more precise, it is in fact a Goblin arrow. You can tell by the arrow head. Very distinctive." He picks the fragment out of the ground and hands it to you to examine. The tip is very crudely made, cheap metal made into a serrated blade-like shape, and is hardly very aerodynamic.

GodGoblin
2011-01-30, 02:40 PM
"Looks like it wont fly straight but it would get the job done it it hit. So are we close?" He drops the arrow head and tries to see any tracks or clues from what hes picked up from lazurus

Wargor
2011-01-31, 03:25 PM
"I don't think you quite grasp the situation. One lone goblin wouldn't be armed with this. Especially a female with young. And look, there are more around here. This, this is the work of a raiding party." Lazarus' face is grim, as he stands and draws his bow. "From the look of it they were here only last night, which means they can't have gone far. It looks like your little friend has bought trouble back home!"

GodGoblin
2011-01-31, 03:32 PM
"Oh I see, we better move on then" Rod draws his sling and stands readytofollow Lazurus.

Wargor
2011-02-07, 05:48 AM
"Carry on? We must hurry back! If the goblins stumble across the village they could be doomed! Now come, we must be fast!" Lazarus sets off at a run, back to the village, his long legs carrying his fast through the trees.

GodGoblin
2011-02-07, 06:24 AM
"Oh" Rod sprints off after Lazurus as fast as he can with sling still in hand trying to keep up the with man.

Wargor
2011-02-11, 09:00 AM
The sense of urgency keeps you going, as you run through the trees, back to your home. The closer you get though, the more you get a feeling in your stomach, a feeling of wrongness. This is only intensified as you crest a hill where, through a break in the tree cover, you see a cloud of black smoke coming from the direction your travelling in. This only makes you run faster, pushing yourself past your limits of endurance, the blood pounding in your ears as you shut out your fatigue.

The first signs of the true trouble come as you reach one of the outlying cottages, owned by old Maggie Lavely. The thatched roof is ablaze, and the ground outside is churned up by from what seems like hundreds of footprints. Lazarus stops you from stepping out of the cover of the bushes straight away, and moves his mouth close to your ear. "Be quiet lad, and keep your eyes peeled. But most of all, prepare yourself for what you might find."

GodGoblin
2011-02-11, 09:10 AM
Rod places a shot in his sling and draws his sword "Lazurus, are we too late? Has the raiding party already arrived? We need to go help!" He says with a whispered shout before looking around him.

Wargor
2011-02-11, 09:14 AM
"Yes they've arrived, that fire didn't start itself. But it might not be too late to save them all." Just then you hear something from inside the cottage, a piercing scream as part of the roof starts to crack and fall inwards.

GodGoblin
2011-02-11, 09:37 AM
Hearing the scream Rod runs towards the cottage and attempts to kick down the door if it is not obviously open "Hello!? Can you hear me? Im coming in!"

Wargor
2011-02-11, 09:41 AM
The door, hanging from it's hinges, swings wide open and falls off as you kick it. Through the smoke and fire you can see a squirming shape on the floor, bound in what looks like smoldering rope, pinned to the ground by a length of metal rammed through their shoulder. The figure screams, obviously terrified. "Help me! Oh please help me." The woman sobs, and you recognize her as Maggie Lavely, the cottages owner.

GodGoblin
2011-02-18, 08:39 AM
Rod runs over to Maggie and notices that she is pinned to the floor Oh crap only one thing to do" He places both hamds on the metal spike "Its ok Maggie ill get you out of here" Rod says as he tries to pull the spike from her shoulder

Wargor
2011-02-18, 08:45 AM
You set your feet wide apart, bracing her as you pull the bar. With a sickening sound of flesh tearing, you manage to slide it out of her, ripping a scream from her throat as you do so. She slumps to the ground, unconscious and bleeding profusely from the wound, the floor becoming stained by an increasingly wide pool of blood.

"Boy? You foolish child, are you ok?" Lazarus' voice comes from outside, and you can just make out his shape in the doorway, covering his mouth with a cloth to ward off the smoke.

GodGoblin
2011-02-18, 08:58 AM
Rod pulls his shirt over his nose and tries to drag Maggie by her armpits out of the door towards Lazurus