PDA

View Full Version : Applying Pressure

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 08:22 PM
I need to apply pressure to the left side of my left leg and the right side on my right leg. For either one, I could probably lay the leg flat and rest something heavy enough on it, but to do both at once would be an impossible position...

Any ideas?

EDIT: It's the section of the leg between the knees and ankles, if it matters.

Partof1
2010-10-03, 08:28 PM
Lie on your side perhaps? And may I ask why?

thubby
2010-10-03, 08:32 PM
get something hard and tie it to the outside of each leg.

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 08:46 PM
Legs were hurting. This happens sometimes. My instinct is always to apply pressure to those spots, but I've never figured out a good way to do it. Someone else just suggested turning my feet outward... Doing this seems to pull the muscles in those spots applying the pressure I need...

When I have medical coverage again, I'm gonna ask the doctor for some leg braces to un-bow my legs... (Feet outward is actually the position such braces would hold my legs in. Or, at least how the ones when I was an infant did it...)

Haruki-kun
2010-10-03, 08:56 PM
Bandage each leg tightly. Other than that I can't think of anything.

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 08:59 PM
Doesn't seem like I can hold that position I mentioned for very long.... Between this issue, my bowed legs, and my flat, wide feet, I need completely new legs...

If I can get some of the materials needed, I'll try some of your ideas.

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-03, 09:04 PM
ace wrap and a gel pack?

2010-10-03, 09:14 PM
bandages (or towels, or blankets+ either a knot or a pin)? a vice+ large flat or leg shaped object?

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 09:20 PM
bandages (or towels, or blankets+ either a knot or a pin)? a vice+ large flat or leg shaped object?

I have no vice, but after your post here, I thought to take a bedsheet, wrap it around both legs, and pull it very tightly, pushing the legs towards one another. (They're bowed, so they can't actually touch.) That felt really good... It'd come loose if I ever tried to tie it that tightly, but that was exactly what I needed. I can probably hold it like that once in a while whenever they hurt to relieve them...

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-10-03, 10:44 PM
I"d check out webmd.com, as there's lots of good medical advice there,

Thajocoth
2010-10-03, 11:05 PM
I"d check out webmd.com, as there's lots of good medical advice there,

Been there before... Crashed their symptom thingy a few times by checking off too many options. Gave up...

I wasn't really asking for medical advice here. I just wanted something temporary to make them stop hurting for now, and I got that. It's physics more than biology, really, as I was asking "how", not "what".

Don't worry though... Once I get medical coverage again I'll see a doctor about any persistent issues (like my legs).

Xyk
2010-10-03, 11:13 PM
Sit in a doorway and squeeze your legs between the door and the wall part that isn't a door that the door closes to. I can't place the word. But that should work.

Melayl
2010-10-05, 11:13 AM
An ACE wrap (elastic wrap), 4 inch or 6 inch width, would work (start at the toes and roll on to your legs, overlapping each time by about half the width of the ACE). Make sure you can fit two fingers between the wrap and your leg so you don't cut off circulation.

A better solution would probably be T.E.D. hose (anti-embolic stocking). They come in knee and thigh-high lengths, and apply a good amount of pressure and support, are easier to get on than the ACE, and machine washable. Most pharmacies and shoe stores carry versions of them, as do medical supply stores. I think they range $15-20 USD (they always just come up with our patients, so I don't actually know the price).

Definitely check with a doctor as soon as you're able (I understand the no insurance thing). Pain like that can have a vast number of causes. Some benign, some not.

Good luck!

Tinkee
2010-10-06, 10:51 PM
Didnt have time to read all the posts and see what people put but my idea would be this - you can buy something called TED hose at a pharmacy, they are compression stockings... they squeeze your legs up to the thighs to prevent pooling of fluids and supposed to help prevent clots from forming. That may help. Or I would suggest getting something heavy, securing it to each side and then laying on one side at a time... your body weight will apply pressure to the side your on, and the heavy object will apply pressure to the other side. Then every now and then switch sides. However, most importantly i suggest you see a physician about it. They gotta be hurting for some reason. Best to figure out whats going on so you can fix it! Hope that helps!

blunk
2010-10-06, 11:06 PM
Use a belt?