PDA

View Full Version : Complex rules explanation

Maquise
2010-10-03, 08:23 PM
I'm a little confused as to how, round by round, a certain attack would be executed in a 3.5/Pathfinder game(I'm pretty sure, for this, it would be close).

Some explanation:
I'm working on a homebrew creature that has the following attack. Using a natural reach weapon(extra long tentacles), it grabs an opponent. Following that, it pulls said opponent in close, grabs them with all tentacles, then constricts. What I want to know is, how would this work mechanic-wise?

FelixG
2010-10-03, 08:25 PM
I'm a little confused as to how, round by round, a certain attack would be executed in a 3.5/Pathfinder game(I'm pretty sure, for this, it would be close).

Some explanation:
I'm working on a homebrew creature that has the following attack. Using a natural reach weapon(extra long tentacles), it grabs an opponent. Following that, it pulls said opponent in close, grabs them with all tentacles, then constricts. What I want to know is, how would this work mechanic-wise?

It has a reach attack, if the attack hits it deals damage and automatically initiates a grapple with no AoO. If it succeeds the grappled player is moved into the creatures square and each round that they remain grappled they are dealt the tentacle damage until they break free

Prime32
2010-10-03, 08:33 PM
Improved Grab with tentacles which deal poor damage, plus the Multigrab and Greater Multigrab feats. Basically, if it hits with the tentacles it can start a grapple but is not considered grappled. Then pull the victim in and full attack.

Or you could take a look at the roper (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/roper.htm).