PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I don't understand magic ammo!

truedragon
2010-10-03, 11:29 PM
Im having trouble understanding the cost and manufacture of magic ammo. When enchanting does the +1 cost apply to abundle of twenty or just one arrow? Same with the cost, does the 2000 gp apply to a bundle of masterwork arrows or just one. If it applies to the bundle then what number constitutes a bundle for other ammo types not purchased in batches of twenty? If the +1 is only applied to one arrow at a time then does it cost 2000 gp or is it cheaper? Does anyone know the answers to these questions? Can anyone help me?

awa
2010-10-03, 11:33 PM
i think you buy ammo by the 50

Crossblade
2010-10-03, 11:40 PM
I just checked... it actually doesn't say.
What it does say is Masterwork costs 7gp per single ammunition; and ammo enhancements don't stack with ranged weapons (so +1 chaotic arrow & +2 evil bow = +2 chaotic evil hit on enemy)

So really... seems like they're saying, don't bother? Which doesn't answer the question at all.

Alleine
2010-10-03, 11:59 PM
The answer is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) to the right on the table. It says that the listed price is for 50 of arrows, bolts, bullets and shuriken. If you were to buy only one enchanted piece of ammo you would not pay the full price, but only 1/50th the price.

Another_Poet
2010-10-04, 12:00 AM
It's not per arrow. I forget if it says it is for a bundle of 20 or 50 but I am guessing 50. The reason is that 3.5 usually assumes that the closest thing to unlimited charges is 50 charges. If you have a +1 bow you get unlimited use, so if you're putting the +1 on arrows for the same cost then it would apply to 50 arrows.

In general an adventurer is better off having an enchanted weapon than enchanted ammo, precisely because the weapon is unlimited use. There are exceptions however:

If you have ten +3 arrows, you can give one each to ten archers and have them all strike in the same round. (If you find enchanted ammo in random loot, giving it to cohorts is a great idea for this reason.)
If you can find the individual ammo at a market for a reasonable price, you can spread out what weapon qualities you have. For instance, if you have three each of Flaming, Icy Burst, Ghost Touch, Axiomatic, and Undead Bane arrows you are prepared for a lot of situations, even if you couldn't afford to buy (or carry) separate bows with each of those qualities.
If you are facing an enemy with a known weakness (such as Fire Vulnerability) you can stock the party up on enough Flaming Burst arrows for the encounter, and still spend less than buying new bows.
If your DM is stingy with magic items (or if you just need a weapon ability that is priced way beyond your current wealth) you may be able to find/afford a couple of +2 arrows long before you can find/afford a +2 bow. Stingy GMs may feel that enchanted ammo is Ok to give out since you will use it up quickly.