PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft or Starcraft

Blood
2006-09-13, 06:39 PM
Just a discussion for which is better. Obviously, Blizzard expanded with Warcraft, so it's way ahead of Starcraft. But say they had expanded with both of them. Then which one is better?

I honestly still say Warcraft.

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-13, 07:08 PM
Starcraft pwns Warcraft. 'Nuff said.

Who couldnt like the bloody mayhem of the far future? Alien slaying aliens...

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-13, 08:15 PM
As much as I love WoW and WCIII, II, and I... I would have to say that, expanded upon, Starcraft has much more potential to be much better than Warcraft. As it stands now, Warcraft is phenonmenonly (spelling?!) better.

Blood
2006-09-13, 09:22 PM
Starcraft pwns Warcraft. 'Nuff said.

Who couldnt like the bloody mayhem of the far future? Alien slaying aliens...
I knew Zergy would be attracted to this thread, and stuck on it like a fly to sandpaper I'm sure now. ;)

Anyway, what do you mean by "potential"? WoW is probably about the most popular game in history, so you're saying that you think Blizzard could have gone farther than WoW, with something like it but in Starcraft style (UoS (Universe of Starcraft)? ;))?

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-13, 09:30 PM
Heh, maybe I should take a level in ranger to take Favored Enemy: Starcraft Haters.

Warcraft and Starcraft are completely different, yet the same in many aspects.

-2 Resources each; Wood and Gold versus Minerals and Vespene Gas.
-Creep/Blight. Nuff said there.
-The ancient sentinal race thats out to protect the galaxy; Night Elves versus Protoss.

Those are only some to name. The same, and totally different. I still think Starcraft is cool because of it's simplicity. I mean, you dont have to manage hero powers, or fate points, or ammunition.

Zergling rushes. Pwn. All.

It also just has this... charm that I cant really name.

Starcraft 100%.

UnrealTiger
2006-09-13, 10:08 PM
Personally I think that Warcraft (I'm going to assume we're talking about 3 here not WoW) is the better game between Starcraft and Warcraft, 'tis sad but true in my eyes, however even though I believe it's a better game doesn't mean that I like it more. Though I have to say that I do like the story behind Warcraft far more than the one behind Starcraft.

All my <3 belongs to Starcraft, it was the first great RTS that I ever played and back in the days when I went onto BattleNet I used to be a part of the cliche that played those LOTR maps all the time. So many hours spent in front of the gently glowing computer screen, bringing death to Elves and Men and Dwarves and then going around to bring the forces of Darkness down to their knees (and an equal amount of time being brought to my knees and having death brought to me ;D).

Cybren
2006-09-13, 10:37 PM
I knew Zergy would be attracted to this thread, and stuck on it like a fly to sandpaper I'm sure now. ;)

Anyway, what do you mean by "potential"? WoW is probably about the most popular game in history, so you're saying that you think Blizzard could have gone farther than WoW, with something like it but in Starcraft style (UoS (Universe of Starcraft)? ;))?

You never heard of The Sims, huh?

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-13, 11:06 PM
By "potential" I do not refer to the amount of people who play. The fact that 7 million people play WoW does not make it a good game, it is a good game because it is a good game. The whole idea of Starcraft has alot more wiggle room for cool stuff, and if they can make such an awesome game out of Warcraft, imagine what they can do with Starcraft.

Jothki
2006-09-14, 01:20 AM
Warcraft 3 has a better map editor than Starcraft. Warcraft 3 is better.

Tom_Violence
2006-09-14, 05:04 AM
StarCraft interested me more with its story. Its races seemed better defined, also in terms of gameplay.

World of Warcraft is pure rubbish. Big heaping piles of the stuff.

Warcraft is pretty standard silly fantasy action. Nothing about it has ever really grabbed my attention to be honest.

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-14, 05:20 AM
I'll be honest, I never played much starcraft, but I'm a serious lover of the Warcraft series and I'm even an ex-WoW player.

I absolutely love the storyline of Azeroth. I had an incredible joy playing it, and I'm more of a fantasy guy. And if all that isn't good enough...Night Elves and Orcs and Taurens Rock ;D

Blood
2006-09-14, 07:12 AM
(I'm going to assume we're talking about 3 here not WoW)
Actually...

But say they had expanded with both of them. Then which one is better?

I absolutely love the storyline of Azeroth.
I *loved* the stroyline. But once WoW came out, they had to do some major screwings with it to make it fit. That kinda made me angry about the game, even if I still go with it.

World of Warcraft is pure rubbish. Big heaping piles of the stuff.
Once again, I disagree. When you have a great guild, you can have tons of fun. And I have a great guild of about 50% RL friends who rock, and 50% people we found/friends of RL friends who also rock. So I'm lucky I guess. But it definitely makes the game more fun.

Warcraft 3 has a better map editor than Starcraft. Warcraft 3 is better.
Once again...check my first post. I'm aiming for if they both had been expanded. I'm sure Warcraft 3 has a much better map editor, since it came out later.

You never heard of The Sims, huh?

I have. I was under the impression that Blizzard hadn't made it.

Sneak
2006-09-14, 07:28 AM
Give me the Orcs or Undead any day over the zergs! WC3!

And that's WarCraft, not Whale Commune.

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-14, 09:10 AM
I *loved* the stroyline. But once WoW came out, they had to do some major screwings with it to make it fit. That kinda made me angry about the game, even if I still go with it."

Well, accoding to what I understand, WoW happens before the second expansion. So they decided to create the big story between the WCIII and the Expansion.

And they did a mighty good job if I might say. There's this plot that if you are Alliance (I had a Human Mage on a RP server) where you fought these bandits all the way since lvl 2-3, and they were connected to something much bigger. And many things were connected to a certain bad ass Dragon, Nefarius, and his plan to provoque an all out war between the Alliance and the Horde so then he could conquer it all. Thrall realizes this, and decides they have to intervene, for this small peace they had was the first in millenia.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-09-14, 02:27 PM
I think they're both equal, so there.

Archonic Energy
2006-09-14, 03:45 PM
am i alowed to voice my opinion ? ;)

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-14, 03:56 PM
Give me the Orcs or Undead any day over the zergs! WC3!

And that's WarCraft, not Whale Commune.

The Overmind shall target you next, cat-person-god-thing.

The_Guo
2006-09-14, 06:24 PM
Just pondering how starcraft would look if it was on the same level of graphics as WC3 and I think Starcraft takes the cake.

Sure the cut scenes in WC3 were hawtsauce (I'm seceding you father) I think something of that same graphic quality involving the heros and villians of starcraft would be even more awsome (Kerrigan anyone?).

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-14, 07:27 PM
Just pondering how starcraft would look if it was on the same level of graphics as WC3 and I think Starcraft takes the cake.

*snip*

Well, there was this special movie if you finished WC3 in Hard Mode. What you would see was a Starcraft battle in the WC3 engine. Marines vs The Bad Ass Aliens (I think you'll know which one is :P). It was very impressive, and I did play some maps with Marines and those aliens. Hydralisks I think. How they got the models? I have no idea, but I'm sure they were hidden somewhere in the editor...eck, there was a Hydralisk in the Night Elf's Campaign!

Cubey
2006-09-14, 08:45 PM
Warcraft for me. It has a kind of magic. But I'm not talking about WoW or WIII (although they're good too, and I really enjoyed Warcraft III's mods on battlenet), with their fanboyish elves and goth-wannabe undead.

Warcraft I and II are one of the few games of my childhood. Well, early adolscency.... whatever you pronounce it. Even though the sides were almost identical (mostly spells were different for each side), both the Horde and the Alliance had a different feel. Ah, Warcraft with its grunts armed with two-handed axes, overpowered archers/spearmen and special dungeon missons. Ah, Warcraft II with its simply BREATHTAKING graphics and animation - at that time, but still very nice today. I won't forget the third orcish mission, first one with ships and non-winter tileset (but winter was fun too with snowmen and christmas lights at the buildings). Naval battles! Starcraft doesn't have it.

Also, it makes you feel like a powerful oldtimer when you play WoW and see the statues of Azeroth's heroes like Alleria or Turelyon - I still remember leading them into battle myself! And the draenei originally appeared in Warcraft II's beautifully made, chock-full of lore gameplay manual. You have no idea how happy I was to discover that they have re-appeared in the Frozen Throne.

Don't get me wrong. I like Starcraft too. But I like Warcraft more.

Poison_Fish
2006-09-15, 02:02 AM
Warcraft for me. It has a kind of magic. But I'm not talking about WoW or WIII (although they're good too, and I really enjoyed Warcraft III's mods on battlenet), with their fanboyish elves and goth-wannabe undead.

Warcraft I and II are one of the few games of my childhood. Well, early adolscency.... whatever you pronounce it. Even though the sides were almost identical (mostly spells were different for each side), both the Horde and the Alliance had a different feel. Ah, Warcraft with its grunts armed with two-handed axes, overpowered archers/spearmen and special dungeon missons. Ah, Warcraft II with its simply BREATHTAKING graphics and animation - at that time, but still very nice today. I won't forget the third orcish mission, first one with ships and non-winter tileset (but winter was fun too with snowmen and christmas lights at the buildings). Naval battles! Starcraft doesn't have it.

Also, it makes you feel like a powerful oldtimer when you play WoW and see the statues of Azeroth's heroes like Alleria or Turelyon - I still remember leading them into battle myself! And the draenei originally appeared in Warcraft II's beautifully made, chock-full of lore gameplay manual. You have no idea how happy I was to discover that they have re-appeared in the Frozen Throne.

Don't get me wrong. I like Starcraft too. But I like Warcraft more.

My god! I feel the same way. Yes, that's right, my heart goes out to Warcraft.

Speaking of Starcraft with Warcraft 3:
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/revolution/

Check that out.

Pagz
2006-09-15, 11:05 AM
All these warcraft lovers, insolence

Starcraft is great for my favorite tactic of all time, Ultralisk (spelling?) meat shields with a bazzilion zerglings behind them, Ultralisks take damage from barracks/sunkern colonys or what have you, most of them surviving (expecially in broodwar) and then zurglings just swarming like fat kids to an all you can eat buffet (the only bad thing about zerg was there lack of fliers, although scrouges are ever so fun)

I have failed to see any tactic like this in WW3, I was dissapointed (I tried doing it with footsoldiers, it just isnt the same...)

I still would of prefered if they made a WoS, how meny medieval fantasy MMORPGs are out there already? (and being a zergling would pwn so hard)

Poison_Fish
2006-09-15, 04:17 PM
All these warcraft lovers, insolence

Starcraft is great for my favorite tactic of all time, Ultralisk (spelling?) meat shields with a bazzilion zerglings behind them, Ultralisks take damage from barracks/sunkern colonys or what have you, most of them surviving (expecially in broodwar) and then zurglings just swarming like fat kids to an all you can eat buffet (the only bad thing about zerg was there lack of fliers, although scrouges are ever so fun)

I have failed to see any tactic like this in WW3, I was dissapointed (I tried doing it with footsoldiers, it just isnt the same...)

I still would of prefered if they made a WoS, how meny medieval fantasy MMORPGs are out there already? (and being a zergling would pwn so hard)

Two things. Abominations with ghouls and the enhanced attack speed upgrade. You basically got the same thing. Save for the fact that the health ratio of ghoul to abomination is higher for ghouls then say, zergling to hydralisk. But it doesn't matter as much, as abominations with a plague cloud makes scary tanks.

And the problem with both those tactics, in either game, is it has no allowance for air units. If I were doing zerg, I would prefer a defiler, plague, then send in a hyrdalisk swarm.

Pagz
2006-09-15, 08:14 PM
Its more of a speed tactic, you have to try and pull it off before they get air units, I find hydralisks are too clumsy to be good rushers, and its all about the numbers (you can make ALOT of zerglings) If they do have flyers, build devouerers (spelling), the flyer attack version of guardian aspects, or scrouges

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-15, 08:21 PM
I find massed guardians acompanied by mutalisks, or mass (and I mean mass) hydralisks are best.

Archonic Energy
2006-09-15, 08:23 PM
I find massed guardians acompanied by mutalisks, or mass (and I mean mass) hydralisks are best.
perrrr-lease give me 18 Archons... ;)

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-16, 08:00 PM

Sure the cut scenes in WC3 were hawtsauce (I'm seceding you father) I think something of that same graphic quality involving the heros and villians of starcraft would be even more awsome (Kerrigan anyone?).

Nah, they'd use guns in a Starcraft cutscene and that would be pretty lame.

Lt. Col Arthas: You no longer have to worry about the burden of your crown.

Governer Teranas: What are you doing my son?

Lt. Col Arthas: Putting a lump of magnetically excelerated lead through your skull father.

In a fantasy game you're more likely to stab people. It's more personal.

If (I assume that unless Blizzard goes bust they'll eventually make a Starcraft II) they make a Starcraft II, there's one way they could ruin it. Using the same cartoony style you get in WoW that Warcraft III sort of had. It would just ruin the thing. Starcraft is about ichor dripping hydralisks and panacking ex-con soldiers. Not overly long elf ears.

I'll probably say Warcraft II is the best Blizzard game. Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was the first computer game I ever played to it's more important to me. Maybe Starcraft has more potential. I know the thread starter asked which I'd prefer if both had been expanded; but since Starcraft hasn't been I don't know if they would have ruined it.

Blood
2006-09-16, 08:44 PM
I assume that unless Blizzard goes bust they'll eventually make a Starcraft II
I am actually fairly sure they won't. They're making millions on WoW and all the money they're spending on it gets them their money back tenfold, so why should they waste money on expanding Starcraft? I don't mean to be offensive to you Starcraft-lovers, but there are just so many more people that play WoW.

Gamerofthegame
2006-09-16, 09:55 PM
... Guys, You gotta remember... there is still a masse of people playing Starcraft. Starcraft is still selling... And susposely Blizzy is making another game soon, it either being Diablo or Starcraft.

Now then, If Starcraft were to be made blah blah blah, Starcraft would be pure win.

See, Starcraft is a universe (Pardon the pun) of possibilities. Why? Cause its the future! Its space! Warcraft is just on one planet, you can only go SO far. Warcraft has begun to take a turn for the overdone, Its starting to look like LOTR in a way.

Starcraft is probably still the most original RTS (Not the most original game though, but up there) there is, even today. Its just one of those games.

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-09-16, 11:10 PM
If they used the upgraded WC3 engine to create a SC2, I think that it would surpass WC3 as the most uber RTS out there at this time.

SC3 was just... awsome. You had three sides, each with unique units and each one requiring radically different tactics. Early Game Zergling Swarm, for example, is a very viable small-map tactic. Zealot Swarm, on the other hand, is a LOT more resource intensive and takes longer, albiet a possible option against a zerg opponent or an opponent who is lazy about their defenses. Marine Swarm? Umm... no. Not unless ya got enough medcs, and by the time you have that, they'll be swatted down in swarms.

With Zerg, I liked using the defiler cloud to mask my zergling rushes... made those bunkers and tanks a lot less nasty, yanno? Melee attacks, not being affected in the slightest, rolled through the terran fortification with minimal losses, and proceeded a good way into the base before being killed... that's when wave two shows up with another twenty four to thirty six zerglings and twelve hydrolisks to deal with anti-aircraft. All fully upgraded, of course.

Protoss... Carrier Swarms are just vicious if handled properly. Mind you, it will take a LOT of resources to get it going properly, and a canny zerg opponent can blow them up with well placed and timed Scourge swarms. An alternate is to bring in the arbiters, then the one that isn't killed recalls in the carriers, reavers, dragoons, and zealots which were back at base.

Personally, I wish they hadn't nixed Ghost Ops... it could have been the next Quake

Poison_Fish
2006-09-17, 02:18 AM
An alternate is to bring in the arbiters, then the one that isn't killed recalls in the carriers, reavers, dragoons, and zealots which were back at base.

Nah, to expensive. Now, high templar making hallucinations of the one or two arbiters you might have is more effective.

Archonic Energy
2006-09-18, 03:01 AM
Nah, to expensive. Now, high templar making hallucinations of the one or two arbiters you might have is more effective.

HEY... that's my tactic...

Recall: 9 Carriers 9 Archons.

player 2 has "disconnected"

he he he.

Mattaeu
2006-09-18, 09:20 PM
...I wish they hadn't nixed Ghost Ops.
I agree (http://www.gamingredients.com/features/irl/stealthninja/images/stealth02.jpg).

Vote for SC. I was suckered into the screens(1 (http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/worlds_of_starcraft/worlds_of_starcraft_005.jpg), 2 (http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/worlds_of_starcraft/worlds_of_starcraft_004.jpg), 3 (http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/worlds_of_starcraft/worlds_of_starcraft_003.jpg), 4 (http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/worlds_of_starcraft/worlds_of_starcraft_002.jpg)) GameRevolution had for April Fools Day, but only because it would have wrecked WoW.

:P

Nezu
2006-09-22, 12:50 AM
Starcraft >>>>> all other Blizzard media.. ;D

I just enjoy the thoughts of the future, and commanding tanks to lay waste to all who oppose (me?) hehe

-Nezu

Dausuul
2006-12-18, 03:33 PM
Just a discussion for which is better. Obviously, Blizzard expanded with Warcraft, so it's way ahead of Starcraft. But say they had expanded with both of them. Then which one is better?

I honestly still say Warcraft.

Starcraft. Even pitting Starcraft as it stands against Warcraft III, I like SC better--partly because of the storyline, and partly because WC3 focuses heavily on tactical combat/micromanagement whereas SC is about strategic combat/macromanagement. I like strategy better than tactics; I don't want to have to worry about the fate of every miserable little hydralisk.

Now, if we could take the WC3 interface and graft it onto SC's core mechanics... drooooool.

Sahegian
2006-12-18, 03:47 PM
I've got to agree with the previous posts. Starcraft is one of my favorite games of all times. The Warcraft series is good, but doesn't hold a candle to Starcraft.

However, I honestly hope they'll leave it dead. If they bring it back it is going to be another level up your hero and get 8 other units and call it an army game. They will take the path of nearly every other RTS that has come out since WCIII and overshadow the macromanagement with micromanagement and overpowered hero characters.

On a side note I love Blizzard's April Fool's websites. They always give me a good chuckle.

TheSilverKnight
2006-12-18, 04:20 PM
Neither I choose World Of Diablo. The world of Kundharas(sp?) is so much cooler than Starcraft or Azeroth but you have to read the novels to see it because the games are pretty straight forward and don't give you a history of the world or its races and cultures. That and its a very dark and barbaric world.

Having to pic from SC or WC I say SC its just more fun. WC II is my fav of the WC's and I am going to start playing WoW after Xmas but SC is just too good.

OMG wierd thought what if they made like a Diablo RTS you would have each of the races like the Barbarians, the Amazons, The Jungel PPL, the Desert PPL, and then like the Demons of Hell, and then maybe a critter race with all the lesser monsters and odd creatures.

Wraithcat
2006-12-18, 04:46 PM
Who cares that starcraft stole out WH40k, it's still way better than WArcraft (which stole out WHFB)

Artanis
2006-12-18, 05:35 PM
My answer to "which is better, WC or SC?" is one word:

Yes.

Big_Red_Bird
2006-12-30, 12:47 AM
Who cares that starcraft stole out WH40k, it's still way better than WArcraft (which stole out WHFB)
I'm willing to say that Games Workshop probably cares.

blackout
2006-12-30, 12:54 AM

:smallfurious: BLASPHEMY-*explodes due to rage overload*

The Orange Zergling
2006-12-30, 09:59 PM
Starcraft is a rather blatant semi-imitation of warhammer 40k, yes, but it is still one of the best RTSs to date.

Deepblue706
2006-12-31, 12:15 AM
Starcraft all the way. Cooler units, cooler heroes, prettier design, and a more interesting storyline.

Also, I hate WoW. Maybe because I've just bored of MMORPGs, or maybe because you can't play as a goblin.

Lord Xaedien
2006-12-31, 12:28 AM
I have to say I have played alot of both games, and I think Starcraft is a better game (and I am comparing III and Starcraft, WoW is an unfair comparison).

The biggest thing for me is game balance. The three races in Starcraft are alot more balanced, and I can hold that against Warcraft III because it comes after Starcraft....

The things I love about warcraft III are these: Hero Units, More AI settings (starcraft AI is ridiculously easy), and tower defense multiplayer maps.

I know that if starcraft had these things, it would be the greatest RTS to come out. I am really praying that Blizzard does something with starcraft soon... the wait has been unbearably long.

Cybren
2006-12-31, 01:22 AM
Starcraft is a rather blatant semi-imitation of warhammer 40k, yes, but it is still one of the best RTSs to date.
That is the most asinine thing anyone can ever say. Starcraft is a baltent imitation of Aliens and Starship Troopers. Just because they had the same source material (ie, the whole of Science Fiction), doesn't mean one copied the other.

The Orange Zergling
2006-12-31, 01:43 AM
I never said Starcraft was a bad game, I'm just saying Blizzard frankly wasnt too imaginative when designing it. The Zerg in particular, anyone who knows what the Tyranids are can see the direct resemblance.

Sure, there are original parts of it, which are all very good, and even the copied parts are good. Its just that Blizzard Entertainment doesnt always invent their own ideas. Now, I know its literally impossible to be 100% original, but the level of which things were heavily inspired *cough* from Warhammer40k is a little... high.

Cybren
2006-12-31, 01:50 AM
I never said Starcraft was a bad game, I'm just saying Blizzard frankly wasnt too imaginative when designing it. The Zerg in particular, anyone who knows what the Tyranids are can see the direct resemblance.

Sure, there are original parts of it, which are all very good, and even the copied parts are good. Its just that Blizzard Entertainment doesnt always invent their own ideas. Now, I know its literally impossible to be 100% original, but the level of which things were heavily inspired *cough* from Warhammer40k is a little... high.

You... you saw Aliens, right?
And saw Starship Troopers maybe?

The Orange Zergling
2006-12-31, 02:58 AM
Actually, I havent. So this next statement may be considered total crap.

I dont deny possible copyings from there either. Or vice versa, or that those two settings are in Blizzard's position...

Jalil
2006-12-31, 05:47 AM
Observe:

1979 Alien (http://www.spawn.com/toys/movies/avp2/queenandpred1/images/avp2_queenandpred1_photo_01_dp.jpg)
~1998 Tyranid (http://hem.spray.se/kendoka/arachnoids/images/ravener.gif)
1999 http://bane124.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hydralisk.jpg]Zerg

Nothing in sci-fi is unique, and it's hard to tell who stole from who. In any case, all of them were good, and none detracted from the others. Thats the important part.

AS to the OP, I must say, if they expanded upon the storyline of SC:BW, There would be the potential for 4 races, to compare with W3, and vast potential for expansion.

For those naysayers of SC, saying that WoW is better, or more popular, look at korea. SC is vitually(punny, eh?) the national sport. People die playing that game, because they refuse to take a break to eat/sleep. They sell replays of the equivelent of pay per view. It is an awesome game, and if given the same funding as WoW, coulddefiantely roxxorz.

Dausuul
2006-12-31, 10:33 AM
You... you saw Aliens, right?
And saw Starship Troopers maybe?

Agreed. Hydralisks look virtually identical to Aliens (except for the tail in place of back legs), and Protoss bear a very strong resemblance to Predators.

Artanis
2006-12-31, 08:32 PM
Just to add my 2 cents:

Basically, the only real resemblance between the Zerg and Tyranids is that they're both bug-like aliens. The Zerg's origins, capabilities, objectives, "tech" advancement methods, tactics, force structure - pretty much everything about them, in other words - is different from the Tyranids. They don't even have the same number of limbs, FFS.

Gogo525
2007-01-03, 09:14 PM
I think that Starcraft was way cooler than Warcraft will ever be. Whatever they do in the future doesn't matter. Starcraft is the best! Although I am still waiting for starcraft ghost.....lol

DArKandEViL
2007-01-03, 09:54 PM
Warcraft, only because of the World (of Warcraft) and also that I've never played Starcraft before, so that could have influenced my decision
:amused:

Gralamin
2007-01-04, 02:50 AM
En Taro Adun, En Taro Tassadar, Adun Torridaz

I have to say I have played alot of both games, and I think Starcraft is a better game (and I am comparing III and Starcraft, WoW is an unfair comparison).

The biggest thing for me is game balance. The three races in Starcraft are alot more balanced, and I can hold that against Warcraft III because it comes after Starcraft....

The things I love about warcraft III are these: Hero Units, More AI settings (starcraft AI is ridiculously easy), and tower defense multiplayer maps.

I know that if starcraft had these things, it would be the greatest RTS to come out. I am really praying that Blizzard does something with starcraft soon... the wait has been unbearably long.

Starcraft AI easy? make a copy of one of the maps, and change the triggers to allow AI - INSANE. I've never seen that beaten.
Hero Units - I'm not sure these would work very well in starcraft. Part of how it was designed was they were just normal members of their race, who just happened to be a bit more buffed.
TD Maps - This is just use of triggers and the object editor. This will be possible if they make another.

Just to add my 2 cents:

Basically, the only real resemblance between the Zerg and Tyranids is that they're both bug-like aliens. The Zerg's origins, capabilities, objectives, "tech" advancement methods, tactics, force structure - pretty much everything about them, in other words - is different from the Tyranids. They don't even have the same number of limbs, FFS.

Heres someone with a brain. Good work Templar. (oh please tell me I'm not the only one who gets why I used Templar)

zeratul
2007-01-07, 03:37 PM
I love both of these games but they are very close. I think starcraft has a better storyline and as said more potential but warcraft was slightly more fun

Dant
2007-01-07, 05:12 PM
Starcraft AI easy? Have you played against it since the last update? I would swear the damn thing is adapting from game to game. It still does new things to me now. Yah, sure I can take 6 computers on a money map. I can take one easy with limited cash. Two or more and I just die.

As for Zerg copying the Tyranids... I have to agree with the whole Aliens thing. And Starship troopers. And Enders Game. Which, AFAIK, are all pre-Tyranid and all have the same concept. I can see the similarities to the 40k races though.

Still, I want more SC! Warcraft was good and I loved it, but I just like the feel of Starcraft more.

Dispozition
2007-01-07, 05:32 PM
Well...I know that no one is going to agree with this, but the starcraft graphics look better! I'm not saying that they are actually better...They just look better...In WCIII, there are squares everywhere, and a lot of the graphics just look bad. The starcraft ones are smoother and just look plain better.

As for gameplay...Starcraft for single player, WCIII for multiplayer, mainly because of Dota and things like that. The heros just make it that much more fun...

Premier
2007-01-07, 05:46 PM
Just to add my 2 cents:

They're both not only "buglike", but "giant bug with carapace that looks like molded bone tissue"-like. They're both swarms who overwhelm the enemy with endless numbers. They're both largely brainless individually, following the will of a central intelligence (Hivemind for Nids). They both lack "traditional" technology in favour of evolving organs and new breeds that play the same role. They both survive exposure to space without any sort of protection. They both have wildly varying numbers of limbs and general body shape, depending on which of the many breeds you're looking at. With both, the various breeds fulfill various specialized combat roles.

But anyway... IMO it's moot to argue over whether Starcraft "stole" ideas from WH40k or Aliens/Starship Troopers/Whatever, because WH40k, in turn, has "stolen" the very same ideas from the very same sources.

And as for Star-/Warcraft originality arguments... Warcraft stole from the entirety of fantasy literature and visual art just as heavily as Starcraft stole from sci-fi. And what's most hilarious of all is that in terms of gameplay mechanics, Warcraft III stole a lot from Starcraft, of all sources!

Blinkbear
2007-01-07, 05:47 PM
I prefer starcraft to warcraft most of the time, though there are some functions in warcraft III i really love, like better micro with caster units, the tab-thingie in unit shortcuts and all the like. And sometimes, I also like the hero concept, but often I just like starcraft mass battles more than that. I think Warcraft III and Starcraft are even, but I did not like the older Warcraft parts.

Dausuul
2007-01-08, 09:26 AM
Starcraft AI easy? Have you played against it since the last update? I would swear the damn thing is adapting from game to game. It still does new things to me now. Yah, sure I can take 6 computers on a money map. I can take one easy with limited cash. Two or more and I just die.

I can reliably take two AIs (yes, even the Insane AIs) in Starcraft and can often take three if I know the map well. Unfortunately, at that point it's just a matter of "can you build defenses fast enough to stop the first onslaught?" Once you get the first rush stopped and take the fight to the computer's base, its whole strategy comes apart--a tendency I've noticed in strategy game AIs. All offense, no defense.

The Warcraft III AI is significantly more clever. Or at least it seems so to me, but then I'm not nearly as good at WC3 as I am at Starcraft, since I don't enjoy it as much.

Dr._Weird
2007-01-08, 11:27 AM
OMG TEHY HAVE ORCKS IN WH40K PPL THAT'S STOLN FRUM LOTTER!!!!!!!111!!ONE!

<<
>>

Just because there are similarities doesn't mean they are stolen.
I guess buglike hive aliens are becoming as usual in sci-fi as orcs and elves are in fantasy, they just need more time to become deep-rooted cliches.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-08, 12:02 PM
Insect aliens that go around eating people is already a Cliche. Starship Troopers, Starcraft, Alien(s), 40K. Nearly anything in with Aliens in has some sort bug like monster that live in hives.

phobiandarkmoon
2007-01-09, 10:38 AM
In reply to those saying it stole from 40K/was the origin of a lot of those ideas.... just no.

Marines are from Starship Troopers (the book) originally
Alien for the Zerg, as has already been mentioned, and also SST again

zeratul
2007-01-09, 04:37 PM
They're both not only "buglike", but "giant bug with carapace that looks like molded bone tissue"-like. They're both swarms who overwhelm the enemy with endless numbers. They're both largely brainless individually, following the will of a central intelligence (Hivemind for Nids). They both lack "traditional" technology in favour of evolving organs and new breeds that play the same role. They both survive exposure to space without any sort of protection. They both have wildly varying numbers of limbs and general body shape, depending on which of the many breeds you're looking at. With both, the various breeds fulfill various specialized combat roles.

But anyway... IMO it's moot to argue over whether Starcraft "stole" ideas from WH40k or Aliens/Starship Troopers/Whatever, because WH40k, in turn, has "stolen" the very same ideas from the very same sources.

And as for Star-/Warcraft originality arguments... Warcraft stole from the entirety of fantasy literature and visual art just as heavily as Starcraft stole from sci-fi. And what's most hilarious of all is that in terms of gameplay mechanics, Warcraft III stole a lot from Starcraft, of all sources!

first of all warcraft cant steal from starcraft they are made by the same companies. Also i agree that tyranids arent symilar enough to zerg for them to have gotten sued. And if warcraft stole from modern fantasy D and D did just as mutch if not more also as for starcraft stealing from modern sci fi its actualy quite different especially in termas of the protoss but also in that they dont make the humans the heroes they make them incredibally flawed.