PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification on 4e jumping rules

Sipex
2010-10-04, 11:28 AM
Alright, say I have the following pit:

O = Pit
X = Ground

XXXOOOXXX

Athletics rules say if my PC makes a running jump we divide his athletics roll by 5 and that determines how many squares he can jump, if he's standing then we divide it by 10 instead.

So, that in mind, if my PC runs and rolls a 15 (ie: 3 squares) is he able to clear the gap, assuming he jumps at the lip of the pit or does he fall one square short? IE: Does my PC need to jump 3 squares or 4 to clear the pit?

ShaggyMarco
2010-10-04, 11:40 AM
I don't know if there's an official rule or not. but here's my two cents:

If he gets a DC 15, let him make a saving-throw to grab the edge and be dangling from the side of the pit. If he gets 20, he's there.

Sipex
2010-10-04, 11:43 AM
That sounds fair enough to me. Thanks.

Jaidu
2010-10-04, 11:47 AM
This was clarified in the new Rules Compendium.

The check of 15 would allow you to clear 3 squares, moving 4. So DC 15.

Edit: Changed my wording on re-reading the question.

Sipex
2010-10-04, 11:52 AM
Ah, I missed that. Thank you.

I'll still use the saving throw rule anyways, it makes sense.

Tiki Snakes
2010-10-04, 04:38 PM
Ah, I missed that. Thank you.

I'll still use the saving throw rule anyways, it makes sense.

Technically, you still could, but to marry the concept of what athletics actually says with the situation that the rule was proposed to cover, you would grant the save if he rolled under 15. Otherwise you've basically added 5 difficulty to all jumps.

That's how I see things in this case, anyway.

ShaggyMarco
2010-10-04, 04:49 PM
With the rules clarification, I would definitely go with a DC 15 is safe. DC 10-14 gets a saving throw. Anything short of that? In the pit!

I need to save up some money and get that fancy rules compendium.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-04, 04:55 PM
With the rules clarification, I would definitely go with a DC 15 is safe. DC 10-14 gets a saving throw. Anything short of that? In the pit!

Just realize how easy it is for any character, even one without athletics training or a high strength score, to reach DC 10.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-04, 06:08 PM
Just realize how easy it is for any character, even one without athletics training or a high strength score, to reach DC 10.

I don't think jumping over a 1 square pit is really supposed to be all that difficult in the first place....

Kurald Galain
2010-10-04, 06:16 PM
I don't think jumping over a 1 square pit is really supposed to be all that difficult in the first place....
We aren't talking about a one-square pit.

Anyway, my point is not that it's supposed to be any particular difficulty, my point is that the DM should be aware of how easy or hard the check is that he's asking for.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-04, 09:14 PM
We aren't talking about a one-square pit.

Sorry, I somehow misread the OP's diagram! :smallannoyed::smallsigh:

Sipex
2010-10-05, 09:15 AM

I need to save up some money and get that fancy rules compendium.

This is what I was thinking.

Basically, if the PC misses the jump by one square then I'll grant a saving throw.

edit: To clarify, I'm making a challenge for the party rogue as a sort of gauntlet. He has to get through several rooms laden with different challenges and traps (to take advantage of his high acrobatics, athletics, perception and thievery). One such room is a maze of platforms suspended over acid so I needed to know this rule so I knew exactly what he needs to roll should he stand or run.