PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell Resistance + Spell Turning = Fun times?

TheAz
2010-10-04, 11:38 AM
A quick check on opinion of the folks around these parts for an odd combination!

Now, I am sure all of you are very well aware how Spell Turning works.
The silly thing that I came across is this line in the description of Spell Resistance (as in the special ability): "A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities."

So, if a Spell Resistant creature casts a spell at a target with Spell Turning up and the spell is bounced back, does its Spell Resistance apply or does the spell, because it's their own cast, just burn through and it's right to the good stuff? :smallcool:

What do you think?

Duke of URL
2010-10-04, 11:48 AM
By the wording of spell turning, you'd be absolutely correct -- the rebounded spell was cast by the caster, and so it would bypass his/her spell resistance.

From a RAI standpoint, it could be argued that once the spell has left his/her person, the spell resistance exclusion would no longer apply.

Eloel
2010-10-04, 12:26 PM
A quick check on opinion of the folks around these parts for an odd combination!

Now, I am sure all of you are very well aware how Spell Turning works.
The silly thing that I came across is this line in the description of Spell Resistance (as in the special ability): "A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities."

So, if a Spell Resistant creature casts a spell at a target with Spell Turning up and the spell is bounced back, does its Spell Resistance apply or does the spell, because it's their own cast, just burn through and it's right to the good stuff? :smallcool:

What do you think?

You see someone with Spell Turning. You cast a buff on them. You chop off their spellturning counter, and get the buff on yourself.

Sounds fun.