PDA

View Full Version : Front-Line Fighting Class

TheAmishPirate
2010-10-04, 11:39 AM
I'm currently in a campaign where the chance of death seems to be getting pretty high, so I'd like to get a backup plan for a new character.

Currently, our party consists of a Rogue (skillmonkey/scout/info gather), a Wizard (pew pew pew/utility), a Cleric (do I really have to explain?), and myself, a Psychic Warrior (tank/melee fighter/minor utility). If I pick a new class or class combination, I'd like to fulfill a similar role in the party. I know about the core classes, but they honestly aren't interesting enough to play, for reasons often presented on these forums so I won't go into that.

Does anyone know of any other classes that fill the same role, without too much overlap with the other party members?

Tyger
2010-10-04, 11:42 AM
I'm currently in a campaign where the chance of death seems to be getting pretty high, so I'd like to get a backup plan for a new character.

Currently, our party consists of a Rogue (skillmonkey/scout/info gather), a Wizard (pew pew pew/utility), a Cleric (do I really have to explain?), and myself, a Psychic Warrior (tank/melee fighter/minor utility). If I pick a new class or class combination, I'd like to fulfill a similar role in the party. I know about the core classes, but they honestly aren't interesting enough to play, for reasons often presented on these forums so I won't go into that.

Does anyone know of any other classes that fill the same role, without too much overlap with the other party members?

What books are in? If ToB is, then I would suggest a Crusader - the best representation of a tank or bodyguard class in all of D&D! OK, that might be a bit much, but its accurate in that the Crusader fills the role of protecting the party members quite handily. Its everything the Paladin wanted to be, and wasn't, and without any preachy moral code. You get some great group synergy out of it, minor healings, decent damage, ability to take damage like nobody's business - its a nice class.

Keld Denar
2010-10-04, 11:42 AM
Crusader? Warblade? Glaivelock? Some kind of Suel Arcanamach gish? Sorcadin gish? Hexblade/PallyofTyranny aura debuffer? Binder? Daring Outlaw Rogue/Swash? Swordsage? Beardfist Fistbeard?

What exactly are you looking for?

Greenish
2010-10-04, 11:51 AM
a Cleric (do I really have to explain?)Yeah. Is that a skillmonkey cleric, archer cleric, melee cleric, generic buffer, summoner cleric… Cleric's capabilities are many.

Anyhow, Crusader and Warblade are excellent frontliners, a Knight makes for a passable tank, a Cleric or Druid are of course first in class at it, Duskblade can make a decent showing, Barbarian is an excellent offensive option, Daring Outlaw (rog/swash) has the stats for it, various gishes can be fun…

Person_Man
2010-10-04, 12:23 PM
If you're willing to learn a new rules set, I would suggest the Incarnate, Totemist, Binder, Artificer, or Swordsage. Each has it's own set of fun and interesting combos and utility options. If you're unwilling or unable to learn a new rules set, then you can just go with the standard Cleric, Druid, Archivist, Wizard, Favored Soul, Psion, or Wildshape Ranger. If you're playing in a campaign where the chance of death is very high and your group isn't cutting it, then magic is your friend.

TheAmishPirate
2010-10-04, 12:37 PM
Whoops. Forgot to mention which rules are allowed. Bascially, it's anything goes, just have to run it by the DM first.

As for the Cleric, he's sticking with melee buffing/debuffing.

To specify, I'd say I'm looking for a melee-based class that gets some spell-like options. To fit the party, it should be able to tank/have high hp.

Keld Denar
2010-10-04, 12:42 PM
Manevuers are kinda like spells, in that they are stratiated into levels (that span 1-9 like spells), and they have effects when initiated. Most of them deal damage, but some have rider status effects that last a short amount of time.

A Crusader, Warblade, or Swordsage sounds EXACTLY like what you are looking for.

Otherwise, some kind of gish would work. A Sorcadin (Pal2/Sorc4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5/SacEx8) is a pretty standard build. Streamlined and optimized. For something simpler, a Duskblade20 blows things up with his weapon. Its like opening a soup can with a sledgehammer, but it works pretty well. For something fun and different, Suel Arcanamach (CArcane) allows you to start off low levels with the resiliance of a melee fighter, but adds some spellcasting support at mid-high levels to stay competative. Most of the best gish spells are 1-5 anyway, so not getting 9th level spells isn't THAT bad.

Anything there look appealing?

Tyger
2010-10-04, 12:43 PM
To specify, I'd say I'm looking for a melee-based class that gets some spell-like options. To fit the party, it should be able to tank/have high hp.

In that case, I would reiterate the call for a Crusader.

JaronK
2010-10-04, 01:28 PM
Everyone keeps saying it, but it's true. Crusader is your friend. If you want to add Ruby Knight Vindicator in there for a bit more fun you could, but Crusader is what you want.

JaronK

TheAmishPirate
2010-10-04, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! I'll definitely look into Crusader, though swordsplosions also sound like buckets of fun.

If there was an actual Beardfist Fistbeard class, then I would take that for every campaign ever.

TheThan
2010-10-04, 03:32 PM
Barbarian
Fighter
Paladin
Crusader
Knight
Druid (wild shaped)
Cleric (clericzilla buffs)
Warblade

All of these classes can do what your looking at doing to various extents.

Keld Denar
2010-10-04, 03:33 PM
Fistbeard Beardfist isn't so much a class as a way of life. When you have a fist for a beard (or is it a beard for a fist? I forget), trivial things like "enemies" and "fighting" become so minor that you can sweep them away with a swat of your fisty beard (bearded fist?).

Typically, its represented as Ranger3/Barbarian2 or Ranger1/Barbarian2/Fighter2 followed by Deepwarden2/FistoftheForest3 with some other stuff.

Crusader is probably about the best thing you can get. Defensive enough to not get squashed, offensive enough that ignoring you will hurt.

Shenanigans
2010-10-05, 03:59 PM
When you have a fist for a beard (or is it a beard for a fist? I forget)Yes.

Personally, I'm a fan of Knight. With three levels and a reach weapon (I prefer Spiked Chain, but Duom works too) you become a real hassle for enemies and do a good job of keeping them off the frail ones.