PDA

View Full Version : Can I play 3.5 if I only learn PathFinder?

TigerLotus
2010-10-04, 01:26 PM
Hi I'm wondering if I'll be able to play 3.5 games capably here if I only learn Pathfinder. I am wondering this anyway becasue I notice that most of the games here are 3.5. I dont really want to buy DnD books if I dont have too as I am buying the Pathfinder books.

DragoonWraith
2010-10-04, 01:27 PM
Most things are very similar if not the same. For the rest, there's always the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/), which has most of the Core 3.5 rules available for free.

Of course, Paizo has yet to release anything as well-done as Tome of Battle or Magic of Incarnum, so you might consider getting those books, too. They're largely compatible with Pathfinder; you just have to tweak the skill lists slightly for the sake of Pathfinder's different skills.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-10-04, 02:36 PM
Yeah, there really isn't much of a difference. Skill points don't go as far in 3.5 (the definition of "class skill" is really different from Pathfinder), and feats are every 3 levels, not 2. Racial bonuses and some class abilities just aren't as good, either.

Also, the 3.5 spells Polymorph and Shapechange can be much better than their Pathfinder counterparts sometimes.

TigerLotus
2010-10-04, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys. Really did very much help alright.
But I have just one more question as I'm very much a begginer. Are the dice that is not their functions exactly the same for both games. That is in otherwords can I use the same dice for both games.

Quirp
2010-10-04, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. Really did very much help alright.
But I have just one more question as I'm very much a begginer. Are the dice that is not their functions exactly the same for both games. That is in otherwords can I use the same dice for both games.

Yes, you can. Most 3.5 material is compatible with pathfinder, which wouldn´t be the case if the base structure of the game changed.

Rixx
2010-10-04, 08:29 PM
Pathfinder's gaining momentum, though, and more material is coming out for it - it might not be as hard to find Pathfinder games online in the future.

Paul H
2010-10-04, 08:33 PM
Hi

And there's the 'Living' Pathfinder campaign that's around at conventions and elsewhere around the world.

(Living Greyhawk 3.5 campaign finished short while ago).

Cheers
Paul H