PDA

View Full Version : Fun Low-Level Spells

Jokasti
2010-10-04, 09:14 PM
Mostly I've played melee and divine characters, but I am throwing my hand in as an arcane trickster (not the class). My guy is a Wizard 4, and will be trying to become an Assassin's Guild Leader eventually, so I want to go for spells that would fall within that purview, I suppose. He's basically an elvish wizard gone rogue ('scuse the pun) and now works as a street performer. Also, I've only played Core up until now (DnD 3.5, just in case that needs to be said), but my DM recently opened up all printed supplemental. I told my DM about my character fluff, and he recommended looking into Spellwarp Sniper (Complete Arcane iirc). So, what fun supplemental (or Core) spells are there for a 4th level Wizard?

Il_Vec
2010-10-04, 09:18 PM
I'm sure more experienced minds will fill you on the spells you want, I just wanted to clarify that Spellwarp Sniper is on Complete Scoundrel (Page 64).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-04, 09:19 PM
If you have access to Complete Mage, I suggest dipping a level of rogue and then going Unseen seer, by far the best roguish arcane caster prestige class.

It advanced casting, sneak attack and gives you access to some fun spells such as Hunter's Eye/Mercy (Can't recall which exactly) which gives +1d6 SA/3 CL.

As for spells... nerveskitter is nice, because improving initiative is great.
The lesser orbs (CArc/SC) are good low-level blasing spells, alter self is incredibly good.

Perhaps if you could explain more of your concept I can help you more

Jokasti
2010-10-04, 09:27 PM
I'm sure more experienced minds will fill you on the spells you want, I just wanted to clarify that Spellwarp Sniper is on Complete Scoundrel (Page 64).

Good to know, thanks~

If you have access to Complete Mage, I suggest dipping a level of rogue and then going Unseen seer, by far the best roguish arcane caster prestige class.

It advanced casting, sneak attack and gives you access to some fun spells such as Hunter's Eye/Mercy (Can't recall which exactly) which gives +1d6 SA/3 CL.

As for spells... nerveskitter is nice, because improving initiative is great.
The lesser orbs (CArc/SC) are good low-level blasing spells, alter self is incredibly good.

Perhaps if you could explain more of your concept I can help you more
Yeah, I have LO of Acid, and nerveskitter looks cool.
Here's the backstory: Ollivandavius had two parents- a male and a female. At an early age it was shown he had a knack for learning magic as he would create floating lights and ghostly noises, but not as explosive as that of a sorcerer. Ollie was trained by one of the greatest elven wizards, Emminavius, but unfortunately she died in an epic experiment gone wrong. Coincidentally, Ollie was hitting elven puberty about this time, and felt the need to rebel, and promptly ran away to a local human city, with a couple of his masters items that he stole (the really powerful stuff had powerful wards and guardians). Nobody would accept an elf in that time, except for a local rogues hostel, open to any and all mischievous. His first night, everything but his hawk and deck of cards were stolen. The next day, he moved to a bigger city, and was screwing around with magic when someone gave him a copper piece. Soon he became well known in the town, and joined the mages guild there, and studied there for a bit. He felt the need to visit his parents, and learned that he now had a baby sister. He then joined the Elven Mages Guild (loosely associated with the Elven Clergy of Zahren) and has been looking for the Tome of Ancient Lore for about a month now, when he met up with his future student. He decided that adventuring would be a good way to research, test and apply new spells. Apparently he would become the leader of one of the most widely respected and feared Assassins Guild in the time- so he might as well get started now.

Amphetryon
2010-10-05, 06:41 AM
Grease to make folks vulnerable to SA.

Invisibility because obvious reasons are obvious.

Backbiter for 'Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!' fun.

Duke of URL
2010-10-05, 06:50 AM
Some of your best "street performer" spells are cantrips and 1st-level: dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation, silent image. Best part is, those are useful "in the field" as well.