PDA

View Full Version : enchantment questions

big teej
2010-10-04, 09:59 PM
members of the playground, I am currently undergoing the homebrew task I mentioned here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170570

now before you start yelling "wrong forum" humor me for a moment

before I can truly embark on this task, I need to make sure certain terms arn't already in use, and due to exposure to certain DND video games (namely, the utter crapfest for the original XBOX)

I ask the playground about the actual existence of weapon enchantments such as the following (with more to be added as I find them again)

- of ruin - throwing hammers in the game
- of the ram - greatsword in the game
- of impact - can't remember weapon

if these already exist, could you please tell me what they do?

gorfnab
2010-10-04, 10:28 PM
Impact - Magic Item Compendium - basically Keen for bludgeoning weapons

Ram - Dungeon Master Guide - maybe based off of the Ring of the Ram?

Ram: The ring of the ram is an ornate ring forged of hard metal, usually iron or an iron alloy. It has the head of a ram as its device.

The wearer can command the ring to give forth a ramlike force, manifested by a vaguely discernible shape that resembles the head of a ram or a goat. This force strikes a single target, dealing 1d6 points of damage if 1 charge is expended, 2d6 points if 2 charges are used, or 3d6 points if 3 charges (the maximum) are used. Treat this as a ranged attack with a 50-foot maximum range and no penalties for distance.

The force of the blow is considerable, and those struck by the ring are subject to a bull rush if within 30 feet of the ring-wearer. (The ram has Strength 25 and is Large.) The ram gains a +1 bonus on the bull rush attempt if 2 charges are expended, or +2 if 3 charges are expended.

In addition to its attack mode, the ring of the ram also has the power to open doors as if it were a character with Strength 25. If 2 charges are expended, the effect is equivalent to a character with Strength 27. If 3 charges are expended, the effect is that of a character with Strength 29.

A newly created ring has 50 charges. When all the charges are expended, the ring becomes a nonmagical item.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Forge Ring, bull’s strength, telekinesis; Price 8,600 gp.

Ruin - Epic Level Handbook - maybe based off of the Mace of Ruin?

Mace of Ruin: This +7 heavy mace ignores the hardness or damage reduction of any object or creature it strikes. Furthermore, the weapon can deal critical hits to objects and constructs as if they were living creatures.
Caster Level: 21st; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, disintegrate; Market Price: 1,000,312 gp; Cost to Create: 500,312 gp + 20,000 XP.

Kaww
2010-10-05, 01:21 AM
From my experience DnD based computer games follow DnD books, most of the time. Weapons and weapon enchantments are not an exception .

Then again I only played NWN 1,2 and BG.

big teej
2010-10-05, 08:12 PM
Impact - Magic Item Compendium - basically Keen for bludgeoning weapons

Ram - Dungeon Master Guide - maybe based off of the Ring of the Ram?

Ruin - Epic Level Handbook - maybe based off of the Mace of Ruin?

Mace of Ruin: This +7 heavy mace ignores the hardness or damage reduction of any object or creature it strikes. Furthermore, the weapon can deal critical hits to objects and constructs as if they were living creatures.
Caster Level: 21st; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, disintegrate; Market Price: 1,000,312 gp; Cost to Create: 500,312 gp + 20,000 XP.

1) thankyou for 'impact'
2) it most definitly did not function like the ring of the ram, I think it was simply a +2 (or 3 ) greatsword with a greater damage range..... oh well.
3) ruin - that is entirely possible what its based off of.....

what would you say such an enchantment would be worth on its own?

or perhaps an enchantment for one part of the effects such as JUST ignoring hardness/damage reduction or JUST deal critical hits to objects and constructs?

+3? +2? +5?

From my experience DnD based computer games follow DnD books, most of the time. Weapons and weapon enchantments are not an exception .

Then again I only played NWN 1,2 and BG.

it wasn't a computer game
it was for the XBOX

that aside, your input is appreciated, I won't have to ask a similar question to this if I ever pick up a dnd computer game