PDA

View Full Version : Would like some critique

Sholos
2010-10-04, 11:11 PM
I'm, hopefully, joining a new game soonish, and I'd like some help building a warlock. I've never built one before, but here's my initial attempt (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=244801). This game is going to have a lot of new players, so I'm not looking for something moderately powerful, but not spotlight hogging. Other players will probably be playing with mostly base classes (though I may encourage the melee people towards ToB). Anyways, any help is appreciated.

Keld Denar
2010-10-05, 12:36 AM
Everything looks good. Stoney Grasp isn't a really good invocation, but itsn't not bad given what you said will probably be a low-op game. Baleful Utterance, however, can be a TON of fun, especially at low levels when mooks won't have magic weapons.

Your wand of shield seems to be priced wrong, and honestly I'd ditch that and the Hand of the Mage for a pair of Anlets of Translocation. Those puppies will save your life SO many times. Also, I'd recommend picking up a MW item of UMD. 100g for +2 to UMD is a steal.

Sholos
2010-10-05, 07:08 AM
What kinds of invocations would you suggest instead of Earthen Grasp?

Yorrin
2010-10-05, 11:05 AM
I'm personally a fan of Entropic Warding, though I realize it's not for everyone.

See the Unseen or Devil's Sight always has use. Devil's Sight + Darkness is especially fun.

Spiderwalk is another very useful invocation, though I often skip it for purely RP reasons.

Beguiling Influence is invaluable if you use the associated skills. If not, obviously skip it.

lsfreak
2010-10-05, 11:13 AM
See the Unseen or Devil's Sight always has use. Devil's Sight + Darkness is especially fun.

Since Darkness doesn't really cause darkness, merely dims the light a bit, it's not that great a combo. See the Unseen, on the other hand, is great, especially if you're not someone who gets darkvision naturally.

Keld Denar
2010-10-05, 11:15 AM
The summon swarm invocation is also pretty strong at low levels. Swarms are nasty and there is no defense it can't circumvent at those levels. Unlike the spell, you can dismiss the invocation at a moments notice so there is very little chance of friendly fire. Really though, as long as your opponents are mostly land bound medium creatures, Earthen Grasp isn't a bad invocation. Its really useful early in combat for locking down a melee bad guy so he can't charge or close for melee while your party focuses on killing other bad guys.