PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu Campaign (dead thread)

FireSickle
2010-10-05, 10:19 AM
This is the first post which will contain an ongoing update of players, rules, information.

Players:
Layla Jones (Ella) - Librarian (Chesapeake Public Library)

Post Format:
-Put thoughts in Italics

-Put dialog and descriptions of your actions in plain text using quotes and properly addressing the party which you are speaking to (to eliminate confusion)

-Put notes to DM, and Rolls in spoiler tags at the end of your post

-If in combat or spell-casting situations, keep track of your MP and HP in a spoiler tag through out the scene.

Setting Details

Current Day: August 5th, 2007
Current Setting: The story begins on August 5th, 2007 in Chesapeake, Virginia following our protagonist, Layla Jones.

FireSickle
2010-10-05, 10:24 AM
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." -H. P. Lovecraft

----Layla Jones--------------------------
Sunday August 5th, 2007

A cascade of stars and light swirl magnificently into view. Despite the resolute darkness, it somehow feels warm, almost welcoming. Matter magnifies and dissipates as it moves into and out of sight... Beyond this is everything, is nothing....

The sounds of morning rouse Layla from a peaceful dream. She sits up in her bed and swings her legs over to meet with her slippers. Walking over to her desk, she pulls on a robe. It had been several weeks since Layla last slept in. Having this Sunday to herself, she had turned her alarm off. A glance at the clock reveals it blinking "12:00".

For the last month, the power has occasionally gone out over night. Layla was late to work twice this week because the battery in her clock finally died. Calls to her landlord have been fruitless, she hasn't spoken to him in months and he has yet to return her messages about the power. Thinking of this, Layla is reminded that she needs to buy 9V batteries to replace in the clock. She jots a note to herself on the notepad on her desk.

Layla peers out her bedroom window. It appears to be early afternoon, the sun is high and the kids are out playing. In the street, she can see the neighbor kid putting pegs on his bike. His friends stand huddled about him.

Moving over to her dresser, she grabs her phone and flicks the screen out to check out the time. 11:48am and 2 new text messages. She certainly slept in today.

Both of the Text Messages are from Marcus Roth, and acquaintance of Layla's. Marcus and Layla met in College Latin II, and hit it off immediately. Marcus was asking her for help translating some obscure Latin words and Layla happenned to excel in Latin. Marcus isn't a very intelligent guy. It is often a wonder to Layla why he chose that class or even to attended college at all. Still, Marcus introduced her to a small book club which meets weekly behind the Book-of-the-month-club store downtown. She has maintained a friendly relationship with Marcus over the last few years in that context.

Layla rarely sees Marcus outside of the club, and finds it odd that he has texted her. Both messages were sent at 3:11am and appear to be part of the same message.

The sounds of TV can be heard coming from the living room.

Layla is standing in her bedroom just after waking up.

Ella
2010-10-06, 11:50 AM
Layla leans against the doorframe, running a hand through her hair. Sleeping during the daytime always left her feeling a touch wrecked, at night she liked to get real nice and warm piling blanket upon blanket but when the sun came up it turned her pleasant warm bed into an oven.

Perhaps Marcus took my advice and decided to try translating poetry for practise. She slips out of her room driting towards the kitchen, one thing on her mind, a desparate craving that struck harshly each morning. She had gotten perhaps a touch addicted to cofffee in her student days, and the habit had proved to be harmless enough that it would be inconvenient to break.

Passing through the loungeroom on her way she called out to her roomie, "Did I miss much?" without stopping on her way to the kitchen, and only half expecting a reply at all.

FireSickle
2010-10-06, 12:14 PM
"Not really," Jessi called back without even glancing over her shoulder. Jessi appears entranced with the program she is catching on the TV.

Layla's slippers slide across the hardwood floor of the hallways as she hangs a right into her small kitchen. Despite it's small size, Layla has managed to prepare for a Culinary-World-War-III and maintains a well organized and stocked kitchen, ready meet any occasion. After pulling out some coffee grounds and loading the "Mr. Coffee", she stands and listens to the bubbling and popping of the brewer while enjoying the warmth afforded by the skylight above.

Ella
2010-10-06, 12:47 PM
As the coffee drips through, Layla watches it eagerly. She calls back out to Jessi "We had another night time power outage, I suppose you know about it already, but we really need to hunt down the landlord."

As the coffee gets closer and closer to ready, she feels herself start to salivate the scent is unbeatable. She forms a mental checklist in her mind Coffee and a shower, contact Marcus, contact PJ, bake something, perhaps with blackberries. "So what is so exciting on Tv, during the daytime anyway?" she calls out to Jessi, it was a somewhat amusing fact of their time living together that conversations were more often had between rooms than face to face, they each had their separate lives and though very fond of each other they had to keep some distance between them for the sake of sanity.

FireSickle
2010-10-06, 01:05 PM
"Not much hun, Lost is back on with new episodes. I'm watching the series again from the beginning to get back into it," Jessi replies. "You have plans for the day?"

Ella
2010-10-06, 01:14 PM
"I am not entirely sure, I might go book shopping, you know how I get around used book stores. Marcus might want to meet up and perhaps I could get him to carry stuff for me in exchange for translation services." Layla replies, sipping the coffee, she begins to feel something remotely near human again.

"Do you feel like the entire summer has disappeared?" she asks Jessi on her way to bathroom for a shower, hot coffee still in hand, mobile in the pocket of her robe. "I had plans, I was going to actually get a tan, I still glow in the dark."

FireSickle
2010-10-06, 02:44 PM
"Marcus? You mean that creep from the book club? You're talking to him? Didn't you tell PJ you wouldn't?" Jessi inquires. Almost without a pause she continues, "Yeah, this summer has just flown by, I'm going down to V Beach in a couple hours, maybe you could tag along and catch some rays with me and James?"

FireSickle
2010-10-06, 02:56 PM
Just want to point out, out of character...

The first post, when I was describing Marcus, it says "Marcus was asking her for help translating some obscure Latin words and Layla happened to excel in Latin," I was referring to how they first met and not the content of the message.

You have not read the message from Marcus yet, only saw that he sent you messages.

Ella
2010-10-07, 03:39 PM
Layla called back to Jessi before shutting the bathroom door "That creep himself, who knows he might have found a book of interest." Once the door was firmly shut she turned on the taps in the shower, knowing that it took a while for the water to heat up to the boiling temperature she liked best she took her phone out of her robes pocket, and starts reading his messages.

FireSickle
2010-10-09, 07:17 PM
(1/2) Layla I....

(1/2) Layla, I left a couple books for your at the book -of-the-month club, as Gretta she'll get them from the back. I have to skip town, I'

(2/2) m head....

(2/2) m heading to Eerie PA to stay with some family. I'm sry I didn't get a chance to finish that book you gave me, left that with Gretta 2

Shocked by what she just read, Layla dials Marcus. His number has been temporarily disconnected. After taking a moment to reflect on what she just read, Layla notices the humidity of her piping hot shower. Her stirring thoughts are quickly wiped away under the comfort of warm water.

[Layla takes 2 hours to shower, eat, and finish morning chores. When she is finished, Jessi has already left for the beach with her boyfriend.]

Ella
2010-10-12, 12:34 PM
Layla puts her phone back into her robe's pocket and then hangs it on the back of the bathroom door, she takes a deep breath, hoping irrationally for constant warm water in the shower was optimistic, but she never stopped hoping.

Having eaten, and dressed, including a bikini under her clothes, no matter how trashy, she was going to get some beach time, it had been far too long, just one thing to do before heading to meet Jessi, time to find out just what Marcus had left for her.

A towel is placed in a large bag, along with a bottle of ice, which will slowly melt over the hot day leaving her with something cool to drink she first drives to the bookshop as Marcus had indicated to retrieve whatever it was he had left for her.

Upon arriving at the mall she pauses, applying lip gloss before stepping out into the mall carpark, a determined smile on her face, she wasn't going to get sidetracked, she was going to see if she could pick up the books now, and then go to the beach and have a relaxing evening with friends. No shopping.

FireSickle
2010-10-12, 09:47 PM
The storefront of the book club is covered in outdated posters layered with disregard. A bell jingles as Layla opens the storefront door. Despite the hoard of people in the mall, there is only one customer. A young ginger boy reading a comic, by the register. The boy doesn't look up as Layla walks towards the counter.

The dim lights reflect off of the green carpet which adds to it's homely feeling. The carpet is worn in circles around the boxes upon boxes of sorted comics which sit in the middle of the store. In the back there are several mismatching bookshelves stocked full with books of varied sizes and conditions. A door in that corner leads to a back room where you can sit and read.

The clerk is sitting on a low stool reading a book in his lap. He had looked up at Layla as she walked in. After a glance he went back to his book. As Layla approaches the counter he closes his book and looks up. "May I help you ma'am?" he asks.

Ella
2010-10-13, 05:07 PM
"Good morning, I was wondering if Gretta was about." Layla asks the young man confidently "there was some books I was to pick up today in the backroom." She looks around the store quickly hunting for Gretta or perhaps a sign that Marcus had been here the night before.

FireSickle
2010-10-13, 08:05 PM
The clerk scrunches his nose briefly and then says, "Gretta quit 3 days ago, but I can check the back for you're books. What's your name?"

Send me your completed sheet.
Roll: Spot Hidden

FireSickle
2010-10-26, 08:22 AM
Game Closed