gooddragon1
2010-10-05, 12:06 PM
Dreadnought

Alignment
Any

HD
d10

Class Skills
The ~’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

Good Base Attack Bonus (Equal to HD)
Good Fortitude and Will saving Throws

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A ~ is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (except tower shields).

Combat Prowess (Ex)

At 1st level, a ~ adds +1 to all melee attack and damage rolls. This bonus increases by 1 at 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter.

Magical Resistance (Ex)

At 1st level, if a ~ would be affected by a spell, spell-like ability, or a supernatural ability the user of that ability must overcome his resistance to affect him with it. In the case of spells or spell-like abilities a caster level check is required (items use the caster level they were created at). In the case of supernatural abilities, HD is used in place of caster levels for this check. A ~'s resistance is equal to his ~ level + 10.

===

Very simple, slightly less gear dependence, sacrifices bonus feats and tower shield proficiency for attack and damage bonuses to melee as well as a spell resistance that works against supernatural effects. The reason for that is: Specters/Wraiths/Shadows/Other stat draining undead because they don't allow a save against the effect. This way he has a chance to resist anything (even some spells that don't allow spell resistance).

So, how does it look?

DrWeird
2010-10-05, 12:22 PM
But...why?

There's something to be said for the Fluff versus Power consideration, even if this really isn't terribly powerful at all. Yet, why is the fighter suddenly gaining magical resistance? It also doesn't help against spells that ignore SR. All in all, it's not really fixing anything, and is so jimmy-rigged that it doesn't seem to fit anything.

Reprisal to myself: I might be able to see this on a 'Mage-Killer' brand variant Fighter or something, but in general it's still not all that useful, especially against the deadly deadly non-SR spells. Scaling attack bonus is meh, minor random boost.

Your heart and intentions were great, but the ideas just need more work.

With the current system, there's no real way for X-Variant Fighter to really beat a Spellcaster, except at his own game (referring of course to heavy magic item spam, and even that is close to useless if we're talking a mildly prepared Wizard.)

Ziegander
2010-10-05, 12:47 PM
By removing the bonus feats you've succeeded in making the most boring class in history. It's basically the Warrior NPC class with +1hp/level, very minor boosts to attack and damage spread out over 20 levels, one extra good save, and the chance to resist supernatural effects.

Magical Resistance, while interesting, should not be the entire basis of a class.

Combat Prowess is neither interesting or effective.

gooddragon1
2010-10-05, 01:23 PM
But...why?

There's something to be said for the Fluff versus Power consideration, even if this really isn't terribly powerful at all. Yet, why is the fighter suddenly gaining magical resistance? It also doesn't help against spells that ignore SR. All in all, it's not really fixing anything, and is so jimmy-rigged that it doesn't seem to fit anything.

Reprisal to myself: I might be able to see this on a 'Mage-Killer' brand variant Fighter or something, but in general it's still not all that useful, especially against the deadly deadly non-SR spells. Scaling attack bonus is meh, minor random boost.

Your heart and intentions were great, but the ideas just need more work.

With the current system, there's no real way for X-Variant Fighter to really beat a Spellcaster, except at his own game (referring of course to heavy magic item spam, and even that is close to useless if we're talking a mildly prepared Wizard.)

Actually, my intent is that it will work even against spells that ignore SR as it is not spell resistance.

At 1st level, if a ~ would be affected by a spell, spell-like ability, or a supernatural ability the user of that ability must overcome his resistance to affect him with it. In the case of spells or spell-like abilities a caster level check is required (items use the caster level they were created at). In the case of supernatural abilities, HD is used in place of caster levels for this check. A ~'s resistance is equal to his ~ level + 10.

Even some spells ignore spell resistance

I just wanted a nice simple class that had some bonuses to combat and a chance at resisting anything that can be thrown at him (saving throws take care of a lot of stuff and magical resistance covers up the gaps). I guess my main questions are: Is this class balanced? Would you allow it in a campaign?

Damage from falling and swords can be resisted... with hit points. :P

Ziegander
2010-10-05, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't allow it in a campaign because it simply doesn't contribute anything to a campaign beyond, say... 4th level. As a DM I wouldn't want to throw anything at the party other than humanoid enemies because without cherry-picked magical gear this class has no ability to fight anything else in the game.

It's only options for the entirety of its career are Attack, Full Attack, or Charge. This is worse than the Core Fighter.

I can understand the desire for a simple class, but if the Core Fighter is too complex, I think you may have run into problem.

What about this?

HD: d12

Invulnerability (Ex): Starting at 1st level, a Dreadnought is immune to Supernatural abilities and effects. This ability improves starting at 3rd level and every odd level after that. At 3rd level, a Dreadnought is immune to 1st level spells and spell-like abilities. At 5th level, 2nd level spells and spell-like abilities. This pattern continues until 19th level at which point the Dreadnought is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities 9th level and below.

Indestructible (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Dreadnought gains Damage Reduction and Energy Resistance. This begins as DR 2/-- and Energy Resistance 2 against Cold, Electricity, and Fire. At every even level thereafter each of these values increases by 2 (reaching 20 each at 20th level). At 6th level a Dreadnought's Energy Resistance applies to Acid. At 10th level a Dreadnought's Energy Resistance applies to Sonic. At 14th level a Dreadnought's Energy Resistance applies to Force. At 18th level a Dreadnought's Energy Resistance applies to Positive and Negative Energy.

Now, I still wouldn't allow such a class in a campaign, not because it's too powerful, but because it still doesn't contribute anything. All it does is sit there and soak up anything that comes at it. It can't return the favor with anything more than Charge + Greatsword + Power Attack.

gooddragon1
2010-10-05, 01:50 PM
So what you're saying is that it needs more attack options? I'll see if I can think of a creative attack option then.

EDIT: Got an idea pertaining to absorbing energy from effects that fail to get through magical resistance (possibly with a cap on use per day to prevent at will spam/resets every 24 hours/limit on output potential/several different possible applications)